Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

This is pretty reasonable in QLD, they have to give seven days notice and there has to be a fair time between inspections. Is it different in other states?

Yeah, two weeks minimum notice in WA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

Cats are very unlikely to damage the fixtures and fittings of a property, they will almost certainly just target the tenants on stuff (i.e rip my poor couch). Cat poo poo reeks though and you cant really put the tray out on the balcony because they will inevitably decide to climb over the ledge. You probs shouldn't have one

ftfy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Starshark posted:

So I hear Joyce really wowed 'em on The Project.

It was a train wreck and he left looking like a petulant child

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

e: revoked post about first dog being a bit of a oval office.

So why did you leave in the gendered slur?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

He's a scab, I'll call him what I want.

Well thats disappointing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

This is a good choice, if a bad design, because I can entirely judge people on what their response is. If it's 'what's the point' or 'this is a waste of money', they need stuff like this to remind them that the world isn't theirs.

If it's 'the design looks really weird', but are otherwise approving, they have correct opinions.

No, but you see there was that one dude who was so advanced he didnt assign a gender to the figurines, so why waste tax payers money in going a small way to address the gender imbalance and remind people that the default option should not be male.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

norp posted:

I don't think it will matter for tomorrow, the wa electorate has already switched off.

Yeah there has been a stupid huge amount of votes cast already because everyone is just sick of it all. Mum went and voted yesterday and apparently the line was snaking out the building and onto the road.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Quasimango posted:

Don't think there's any point continuing to attack him now he's dead, but I think the fact that he was apparently very charming and friendly in person means that Australian media types have had their judgement clouded as to just how repugnant his later work was.

There is always a point to attacking racist assholes, posthumously or not.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

On Lateline they said that there is a poll out tomorrow in the West Australian showing the one nation vote has dropped further.

There was a candidate on radio who quit the party and told everyone not to vote for her.

I dont think they ran a good campaign.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SecretOfSteel posted:

Enlighten me Auspol, but should Liberal candidate Julian Jacobs have been handing out How-To-Votes in the electorate he's contesting?

It helps but its not mandated or law or anything.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

yep, real loving tough

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Holy gently caress Peter Abetz is out of a seat.

Awwww yissssss

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Holy poo poo, green is almost prepared to call it already.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

I remember back when this thread was less partisan.

When was that?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Is Trumble still gonna cut off federal funding like he threatened?

Also does anyone have that article as well. It was related to McGowan promising to stop Roe 8 I believe

Who knows what tranball will do, he often says one thing and does another.

The issue was that the feds said that wa could have a buttload of money as long as they built a specific road, and then the ALP said "we arent going to build that road, we are going to build these roads instead" and trumble said "no, you have to build that road otherwise no free money for you"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I wonder how many sitting ministers are going to lose their seats?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

19.8% swing to alp in Stirling ranges

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Anyone know what happened in Pilbara?

https://www.elections.wa.gov.au/elections/state/sgelection#/sg2017/electorate/PIL/results

ALCHIN LIB 459 14.16%
WHITE-HARTIG SFP 337 10.40%
MICHEL ALP 910 28.08%
GRYLLS NAT 1,026 31.66%
McKENNA GRN 110 3.39%
ARCHIBALD PHON 348 10.74%
DUNN FLUX 41 1.27%
HOOPER MBP 10 0.31%

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Does anyone know how many votes needed for a full quota in the LC?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Apparently not (I've been asking around too)

Who's the blonde woman in the brown thing on ABC and why is she shilling so hard for the liberal party?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/wa-election-2017/results/legislative-council/

gently caress me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Imagine being an anti-fluoridation single issue voter.

Imagine being someone who saw Senator CatHat and thought "yep, we need more of that sign me the gently caress up"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

norp posted:

Maybe Ellenbrook will finally get some public transport?

It's going to be interesting to see what form metronet takes

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

It'd be interesting to see a modern, progressive Labor govt working with the Nats and Greens to deliver consensus-based policies that account for the needs of both urban and regional citizens.

2017 sure is weird.

God it would be fun to see a bunch of improvements made to the state with the libs yelling and screaming from the sidelines, unable to do anything about it.

fake edit: does any counting happen on sundays?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The cap gains discount is the main driver of the whole problem and is a perfectly sensible thing to reduce or eliminate. I don't know why people are trying to downplay it, outside of thoroughly reasonable skepticism that they'd do it.

I would also enjoy it if they changed negative gearing so that the discount only applies to the income stream that generated the loss. So you cant go "Im losing $10k on my mortgage, time to apply that to my salary" but you can go "im losing $10k on my mortgage, I can use that to offset repairs to the property"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

yeah, the notion of an unemployed workers union wasn't really well received, despite the fact that they're simply using ABS stats

I am completely amazed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Mark McGowan has marked his first working day as premier of Western Australia by announcing that work on the controversial extension to Perth’s Roe highway has stopped.

:hellyeah:

What is this strange emotion I am feeling towards western australia.. could it be.. pride?

Give it time. They will inevitably gently caress it up somehow.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress Bolt is awkward to watch.

why are you watching bolt?

Unless its Usain and his turtle.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cirofren posted:

Nuclear disasters are easily avoidable but if not avoided they are catastrophic.

The historical disasters from Chernoble to Fukushima don't show nuclear power generation as inherently dangerous so much as showing human involvement in the planning, implementation, and operation of any large scale multi-decade operation is going to cause a gently caress up or two. When a wind farm operator fucks up it doesn't irradiate the countryside.

TBF Fukushima happened because profits got in the way of safety. So theoretically it would be safer in public ownership, as long as the current government wasnt hellbent on saving every dollar poss.. oh wait.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Based on the miniscule margin with which Potatoman holds his own electorate, the difference between Turnbull and Dutton's leadership heading into the next election is going to be 'comprehensive defeat’ vs ’historically significant wipe out’. Any seat with a margin of less than 10% is toast. The resulting 3+ term Labor govt may even fix our revenue problem, internet, media monopoly and education funding issues.

So yeah bring it on is what I'm saying.

You are putting a lot of faith in an electorate that elected a party led by Tony loving Abbott.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/03/19/big-money-miners-got-wa-politician-booted-out-claim/

Seems like now would be a good time for the new WA Government to do something to raise the 5 cents a tonne royalty that the big oversears miners pay. The Nats' proposed levy would've raised an extra 1.5-1.8 billion for WA per annum.

The common argument is that mining jobs will be lost, which stands up until you actually put any sort of critical thinking towards it, and completely forget that the mining industry has been on a cost cutting drive for the last decade and if you think there are any extraneous jobs in mining right now I have a bridge to sell you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Amazon feedback does this for the things I buy (usually electronics/computer related).

Yes, but if you go into a shop and say "does product X do this specific action" and the person serving you says "yes" and then you get home and find out it doesnt do that specific action, you can take it back and get your money back. Cant do that with just reading amazon reviews, which are also very easy to fake.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

iajanus posted:

Or just losing your packages (two of mine this month have disappeared off the face of the earth :argh:)

I have had 2 fitbit bands stuck in customs for nearly two months now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Better get a lawyer son. You're gonna need a good one

to get you out of this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Do businesses only pay taxes on profits. I mean if they were making money and funneled that money into expansion/growing the business wouldn't that reduce their taxable income rather than that being taxed?

No, there are a bunch of different taxes like payroll tax, gst, payg and others.

• Locked thread