Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This budget is going to be fun.

How can ScoMo claw back some support in the polls while keeping the lunar right happy while producing something that actually has a chance of getting through the senate while sucking on the chode of big business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tony Abbott has called on Malcolm Turnbull to toughen his defence of the decision to scale back penalty rates.

lol

meanwhile, in marginal seats across the country

quote:

The Turnbull government is under growing pressure to overturn the Fair Work Commission decision to cut some penalty rates, with voter resentment particularly high in regional areas, according to new seat-by-seat polling commissioned by the ACTU.

The electoral ire is spooking some government MPs, feeding One Nation's growing support, and could yet threaten Coalition seats at the next election if left unresolved.

With unions preparing for a major WorkChoices-style campaign against the cuts, nervous Coalition MPs are privately urging the leadership to find a solution or face further falls in public support.

"The lowest-paid workers in our communities rely on these wages for food and rent, and these are the workers we depend on to keep our shops and businesses open," said ACTU president Ged Kearney.

"These poll results show politicians must act on behalf of the majority of voters and put new laws in place to protect take-home pay of the lowest-paid workers."

However, the government has ruled out legislating against the cuts, arguing the Fair Work Commission was created under Labor and was always intended to be an independent umpire.

While pointedly avoiding any discussion of the merits of its ruling, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has now moved to spruiking a phased introduction of the reduction over enough time to subsume them within annual wage increases.

ReachTEL polling conducted on February 27-28 in five Coalition-held seats – some of which are referred to as bellwethers for their tendency to swing with the government of the day – has found three could fall to Labor on the basis of the penalty rate cut alone.

The five seats are Page on the far-north coast of New South Wales; Dawson in northern Queensland; Corangamite in Victoria's coastal west; Leichhardt in Queensland's far north; and the electorate of Brisbane.

All of the seats would register swings away from the government, according to the polling, with Page, held by the Nationals' Kevin Hogan, Dawson, held by the Liberal National Party's George Christensen, and Corangamite, held by the Liberals' rising star, Sarah Henderson, all recording swings big enough to see them tipped out.

The rising tide of support for Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Queensland makes predicting preference flows difficult, but the polls show that voters clearly disapprove of the cut to Sunday and public holiday rates for casuals, and favour direct government protection of take-home pay.

Among the five electorates, 65.1 per cent of the 3515 surveyed said the government should legislate to protect penalty rates, compared with 34.9 per cent who oppose such intervention.

Support for legislative action is even higher among female voters at 68 per cent and fractionally lower among males with 62.2 per cent wanting Parliament to act.

Respondents also appeared unconvinced about the rationale for the cuts, with 61.5 per cent thinking it would result in lower pay for affected workers and 38.5 per cent believing it would lead to more jobs.

Under siege over the issue, the government on Thursday provided revised departmental calculations that put the estimated number of Australians disadvantaged by the ruling at 300,000 to 450,000 workers, which is substantially lower than the 700,000 estimated by Labor.

Facing a fourth straight question time in which all 34 opposition questions dealt with penalty rates, Coalition MPs believe they are being unfairly tagged with the umpire's ruling.

As their frustration grew over Mr Turnbull's "technical defence", one said "another approach is clearly needed".

To that end, Mr Turnbull offered affected workers some comfort by citing the Fair Work Commission ruling that proposed transitional arrangements to ensure take-home pay "is not reduced overall as the penalty rate changes come into effect."

"That is entirely consistent with the law, it is consistent with their practice," he said of the commission.

The Liberal Party also stepped up its political war, unveiling a new website called protectourweekend.com, in which Mr Shorten is targeted for his "hypocrisy" over the FWC.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

if opening on a sunday isn't profitable why do it in the first place? maybe they should leave it to the better business operators who somehow manage to pay people properly and make a bit of money for themselves

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo, no.

We are an almost completely insignificant country at the arse end of the world with a minuscule population. There is no boogie man lurking in the closet waiting to jump out and attack us. The only enemies we have are the ones our government is rushing head over feet to create right here at home.

We barely need the security apparatus we already have let alone a massive super-department beholden to no law or human decency.

National security is about the only thing they can sell with any confidence. You can tell they're all secretly hoping for someone to blow themselves up in the Sydney CBD or something but failing that they might as well go for a new security agency

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

WA Election seems like a good enough reason for Raptorfag to make an appearance.

pretty sure he stabbed himself up the dick in the GBS thread a while back

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Coffee is illegal now.

wouldn't be the first time we tried to ban something with unintended consequences

quote:

Between 2011 and 2012, the Australian Federal Government was considering changes to the Australian Criminal Code that would classify any plants containing any amount of DMT as "controlled plants".[122] DMT itself was already controlled under current laws. The proposed changes included other similar blanket bans for other substances, such as a ban on any and all plants containing Mescaline or Ephedrine. The proposal was not pursued after political embarrassment on realisation that this would make the official Floral Emblem of Australia, Acacia pycnantha (Golden Wattle), illegal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Konomex posted:

Golden wattle contains mescaline? Nice.

Also apparently the leaves are super high in cyanide. Such an Australian thing. Murder plants.

DMT actually, although you can buy cacti from bunnings that contain mescaline if you know what you're looking for

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

anyone have the stats on the number of jobs vacancies for each unemployed person in the country? I'd like to school someone who thinks it is just a case of lazy millennials refusing to work

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bogan King posted:

If the biggest problem facing the economy is the money people are taking home and you are cutting the amount of money that people take home then maybe it is time you faced the fact that it is you who are the problem.

No you see if he changes some laws and Gina Reinhardt is able to make an extra 20 million in a year as a result that means the average take home pay across the country is rising. Great success!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Someone who thinks like that probably isn't going to be convinced by statistics, but here's a chart with links to the data. http://unemployedworkersunion.com/job-seekers-v-job-vacancy-data/

yeah, the notion of an unemployed workers union wasn't really well received, despite the fact that they're simply using ABS stats

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

I am completely amazed.

same

is there a specific name for this phenomenon of people rejecting facts and authoritative sources of information in favour of whatever bullshit coincides with their worldview? I wouldn't mind doing some reading on it

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

that makes sense

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Comstar posted:

Where can I put money there is going to be gas shortages in Australia? ACCC is screaming about it tomorrow.

So The Market failed. I have full confidence in President Trumball's regime will do nothing to hurt company profits - ScoMo was saying TODAY that you need to increase company profits above paying higher wages. Profits always comes first, said ScoMo.

at least that is something that could be fixed overnight by reserving a certain percent for domestic consumption or introducing an export duty

of course we'd need a government with a spine for that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Frogfingers posted:

I'm in Tudge's electorate as well. How can I help unseat him?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nanpa posted:

Backpedal complete. With an endorsement of marriage equality as well.

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2017/03/coopers-cancels-bible-society-commemorative-cans/

That's quite a backpedal

I'll probably avoid drinking their stuff in future anyway, apart from anything else they'll probably still donate to the Libs and religious groups, just quietly this time

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It'll be interesting to see if this has long term consequences. Will people just forget, or is Coopers = fuckwits going to be seared into the mind of left wing drinkers? It'll be funny if they have to bring out a rainbow can or something to try get some market share back.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Frydenberg has come out and had a huge whinge about SA's energy policy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The Turnbull government has refused to back an international investigation into atrocities against Rohingya Muslims despite a motion passed in the Senate urging Australia to call for a United Nations commission of inquiry.

Australia's statement at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva called for Myanmar to conduct its own investigation with international help into what the UN says could amount to ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity in the country's western Rakhine state, home to more than one million Rohingya.

But Yanghee Lee, the United Nations special envoy for Myanmar, called for a UN inquiry, the strongest form of intervention the council could take, citing evidence that Myanmar may be seeking to "expel" all ethnic Rohingya from the country where they have been living for generations.

"I heard allegation after allegation of horrific events like these – slitting of throats, indiscriminate shootings, setting alight houses with people tied up inside and throwing very young people into the fire, as well as gang rapes and other sexual violence," Ms Lee told the 47-member council.

Human rights groups condemned what they called Australia's weak position at the council, describing already established investigations into the violence by Myanmar as a whitewash.

Htin Lynn, Myanmar's representative in Geneva, rejected any form of international inquiry and dismissed claims of crimes against humanity as "unverified, intentional and one sided".

He said his government is seriously "addressing" the allegations.

In its statement Australia referred to the "scale and complexity of the transition" that Myanmar is undergoing and acknowledged "positive steps" taken by its government since taking office in April last year.

The statement said that while Australia is "deeply concerned" by evidence of serious human rights abuses affecting Muslim communities in Rakhine, Canberra "considers a collaborative approach is the best way to help Myanmar address its human rights challenges, and we remain ready to work with Myanmar in this regard".

"We encourage Myanmar to continue its cooperation with relevant international human rights mechanisms," it said.
On February 16, Australian senators passed a Greens motion without division calling on Myanmar to assert the religious and ethnic equality of all of its people, including Rohingya, and urging the Australian government to consider pushing for a UN commission of inquiry into abuses in the Buddhist-majority country.

Scott Ludlam, who proposed the motion, described what was happening to Rohingya as "devastating".

Australia's human rights policy has literally been at sea for so long with refugee boats that Canberra seems to now instinctively adopt the preferred policy of rights violating Asian nations.

Emily Howie, director of advocacy and research at Australia's Human Rights Law Centre, told Fairfax Media the wording of Australia's statement in Geneva was "hopelessly weak" and "sweeps under the carpet" the country's crimes against humanity, "no doubt reflecting the Australian trade interests."

She said Australia's position is a "real shame and sits uneasily with the serious concern showed by the Senate across all parties, including the government."

Ms Howie said Australia's position also belies how ill-prepared the Turnbull government is to take a seat on the council.

Australia has been campaigning for a two year term, starting in 2018.

"If Australia acts like this when it sits on the council, its action would have real human consequences … it would be leaving thousands of victims to continue to suffer crimes against humanity without a good faith attempt to stop it," she said.

Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said during the Geneva negotiations Australia was relegated to a corner as countries like the United States, European Union and even Bangladesh called for an international investigation.

"Australia's human rights policy has literally been at sea for so long with refugee boats that Canberra seems to now instinctively adopt the preferred policy of rights violating Asian nations," he said.

Almost 80,000 Rohingya have fled Rakhine for refugee camps at the Bangladesh border since October when Myanmar's military launched a crackdown following attacks on police posts during which nine policemen were killed.

Rohingya are denied basic rights in Rakhine, including citizenship.

The UN Human Rights Council is expected to vote in late March on the human rights situation in Myanmar, which is also called Burma.

A draft resolution being negotiated includes the establishment of a UN inquiry into "gross human rights violations by the military and security forces" in Rakhine after October 9 last year.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

So Turdball has apparently got the gas companies to promise to supply gas during peak periods to prevent blackouts... was a gas shortage actually behind any of the blackouts we had this summer? Sounds like a pretty meaningless move to me, even if they do keep their promise and don't just sell it all to Japan regardless.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Supply gas, or supply power? Because they didn't turn on another generator in SA at Pelican Point when they were asked to in February.

The gas companies have promised to ensure gas supply is maintained. As far as I know the decision not to turn on Pelican Point was entirely due to the national regulator having NFI, not due to a shortage of fuel. Of course now Frydenberg is sooking because SA gave themselves the power to turn it on themselves to prevent it from happening again.

There were a bunch of generators that couldn't run during NSW's heatwave but from memory that was due to them loving up for various reasons and not because they didn't have any gas to burn.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

alcolm Turnbull's claim that Victoria is contributing to an energy crisis by locking up "an enormous" amount of conventional onshore gas has been strongly rebuffed by the state government.

On Wednesday the prime minister accused Victoria of being the worst offender when it came to blocking conventional gas production, saying the state was adding to a national gas crisis.

The Andrews government last year banned the process known as fracking, whereby liquid is injected into the ground at high pressure to release gas trapped in rock, and also extended a moratorium introduced by the former Coalition government on onshore conventional gas development until June 2020.

"In Victoria ... there is a huge amount of gas, and, indeed, there is still a very large offshore gas resource in Bass Strait. There is also an enormous amount of gas onshore that can be accessed by conventional means, without fracking," Mr Turnbull said.

"The Victorian Labor government, as usual, guided by its alliance with the Greens, has banned conventional gas exploration and, of course, also unconventional gas exploration and development."

But the assertion that the state government is blocking an enormous amount of conventional onshore gas production in Victoria has been met with puzzlement from energy market experts and the state government.

A 2015 parliamentary inquiry found the state does have large reserves of conventional gas (although in recent years that too has been depleted), but it is located in Bass Strait, where extraction is relatively non-controversial.

But the state's reserves of onshore conventional gas is far less clear. As the 2015 parliamentary inquiry notes, there has been a lot of exploration for onshore conventional gas reserves in Victoria since the 1950s.

No conventional gas has been found in the Gippsland region. In 1959 conventional gas was discovered near the Port Campbell township, in the onshore Otway Basin, where it was extracted until being depleted in about 2006.

The bottom line is that there are currently no proved or probable onshore gas reserves in Victoria even though numerous exploration licences have been issued.

The Geological Survey of Victoria does, however, estimates that up to 110 petajoules of conventional gas could be accessible, subject to a comprehensive geoscientific investigation. To put that in context, 110 petajoules represents about six months' supply, which is far from an "enormous" amount.

Meanwhile, State Treasurer Tim Pallas accused Mr Turnbull of playing politics.

"Malcolm Turnbull might want to pretend that this has got something to do with an unknown and undeclared gas resource in the state of Victoria," he said. "I think it has a lot more to do with an enormous resource that is being shipped offshore.

"Quite frankly, the fact that Malcolm Turnbull continues to try to muddy the waters around what is the underlying cause to the increase in gas prices is a sign of either his ignorance or malevolence towards the people of Victoria."

Victoria's moratorium on conventional onshore gas exploration is due to end in June 2020.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull will today reveal plans for a $2 billion expansion of the iconic Snowy Hydro scheme that could power up to 500,000 homes through a new network of tunnels and power stations.

The surprise intervention, a potential game-changer in the political brawl over flaws in the nation's electricity system, will increase the scheme's 4100 megawatt capacity by as much as 50 per cent.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is set to announce a massive expansion of the iconic Snowy Hydro electric scheme to stave off Australia's looming power crisis.
The four-year project would massively increase the amount of renewable energy storage capacity in Australia through pumped hydro technology, which involves using cheap electricity to pump water uphill so it can be later released downhill through turbines, creating electricity when demand is high.

No new dams would be built, but a fresh series of tunnels and power stations are on the agenda, at an estimated cost of $1.5 to $2 billion. A feasibility study should be completed by the end of 2017 and the search for expansions sites will led by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency. The Tantangara Dam is understood to be an early area of interest.

The Snowy Hydro scheme was instigated under Labor prime minister Ben Chifley in 1949 and completed in 1974. About 100,000 men and women from more than 30 countries helped build a network of nine power stations, 16 dams, 145 kilometres of tunnels, and 80 kilometres of aqueducts.

The Commonwealth owns 13 per cent of the scheme, NSW 58 per cent and the Victorian government 29 per cent. Those state governments could also be asked to assist with funding the expansion.

Mr Turnbull said the Snowy Hydro had been built with the capability to be expanded and his government planned to maximise its capacity.

"The unprecedented expansion will help make renewables reliable, filling in holes caused by intermittent supply and generator outages. It will enable greater energy efficiency and help stabilise electricity supply into the future," Mr Turnbull said.

"By supercharging the Snowy Hydro precinct, we can ensure affordable and reliable electricity for Australian households and businesses."

Mr Turnbull said the expansion would create thousands of engineering and construction jobs and have no impact on water supplied water to irrigators in New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland.

It would also effectively kill off any short or medium-term to privatise the scheme, which was raised by the Coalition's Commission of Audit in 2014. The Howard government considered privatisation in 2006, but later dropped it.

The proposed expansion could, in one hour, produce 20 times the 100 megawatts of power from the proposed battery farm announced by the South Australian government earlier this week.

Mr Turnbull will make the announcement in the heart of the Snowy Mountains on Thursday morning, a day after meeting the chief executives of major east coast companies and securing guarantees of additional supply for the domestic market during peak periods.

Earlier this week, Mr Turnbull was also briefed by ARENA chief executive Ivor Frischknecht on pumped hydro storage.

Australia currently has 2.5 gigawatts of pumped hydro power capacity, with most of it from three projects: the Tumut 3 plant in the Snowy, the Wivenhoe Dam near Brisbane and the Shoalhaven scheme south of Sydney. All three projects are used for electricity generation, water storage and irrigation and if all operated at full capacity, they could power 3.3 million homes.

This doesn't strike me as a terrible idea which is surprising given the LNP came up with it. With enough storage capacity, the base load argument that has been keeping coal in the game disappears overnight.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bogan King posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/842181014600400897

And the boomers stealing money from the young train keeps chugging along.

I wonder if they're poo poo scared of the bubble popping before the boomers have a chance to use their houses to fund their retirement homes

I mean greed and fear of the inevitable recession happening on their watch may be also be big motivations but needing to fund 10-15 years of aged care for old farts with little equity in their homes would be a pretty big burden on whichever department pays for that poo poo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

So Victoria has been floating some potential changes to the Residential Tenancies Act including support for 5/10 year leases, limiting rent increases, allowing long term tenants to make modifications and banning no pet clauses.

The Real Estate peak body is having a fit, the funniest bit of which is threatening that some landlords will exit the market and invest elsewhere, as if lovely landlords not outcompeting potential owner-occupiers would be bad for anyone other than the parasites themselves.

what are they going to do? stop renting out their houses and cop the new vacancy tax?

speaking of which, I'm trying to get my landlord/agent to fix some poo poo and it's been dragging out even though I've sent in one of those notice to landlord forms. The handy man has checked it all out, should I just say gently caress it and get consumer affairs to get involved? I'm not fussed if I don't get offered a renewal on this place at the end of the lease

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I wonder how you'd go about organising some sort of homebuyers strike where no current or would-be owner occupiers bought property for a few months

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

JBP posted:

Bury the spent rods in Mal's anus.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

LOL so pretty much, Dutton is making the government look like it's cowering under the might of the waffen SSM a mob of high-profile business executives :thumbsup:

probably a ham fisted attempt at making himself look a bit anti-establishment or something

also I suppose he feels he needs to be getting a few more mentions in the media and be seen to be showing some 'leadership' to support his pitch for the top job so we'll probably see more of this

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

gotta build on the momentum of that 3%

probably thinks it's merely due to his lower profile than some of the alternatives

I still reckon Morrison will be the next PM though

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Depends how much people in the party think of him as legit, imo they don't want to put anyone up that they actually want to see lead because they've given up on the next election.

Wouldn't be surprised if they chucked Bishop up there so they can say "we let a woman lead the party and the country" while also saying "clearly women don't work out in leadership, as shown by this historic election loss, see you in another thirty years".

That would rely on Bishop being dumb enough to take the job. She might be an evil piece of poo poo but she's also cunning as an outhouse rat and I doubt she'd let herself be set up to take the fall like that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

maybe we should start a goon project to have everyone email Dutton and tell him how great we think he would be as PM

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

it seemed to flow kinda naturally until he got to the bit about shorten

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

lmao

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

freebooter posted:

I agree. I'm a Green through and through and I disagree with many of his positions and if I lived in his electorate I would preference him near the bottom, but I nonetheless prefer his straight-up attitude to the bullshit focus group driven blathering of most of the LNP crowd. Australia would be a better place if most Australian pollies stood up for what they thought the way that Barnaby does. Sure, what you think might be shithouse, but at least own it.

This.

I feel the same way about Lambie too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

the NT News conducting an ongoing campaign against the lnp would be something to behold

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

lol

imagine him on Sky with no reason to hold in all the dirt he must have on people

the lnp would be safer with him still in parliament because at least there are some limits to what he can say

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ten Becquerels posted:

Barnaby wants to take the Leadbeater's Possum off the endangered list so they can cut down more trees in Victoria and save 250 JOBS. I'm not sure what he thinks he's doing or why he thinks people will go along with his idea to threaten a very cute animal. Should have picked an uglier animal to try and justify the likely extinction of.

funny that the thing the greenies and hippies have been warning about for yonks has finally happened and we're running out of timber

I remember a few years back there was some forestry hack from Tassie on the radio having a whinge because there was some type of native timber that he couldn't get a hold of and he was for some reason having a bit of difficulty explaining how his apparently sustainable industry could run out of something... if it was sustainable you wouldn't actually run out you fuckwit

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lid posted:

Counter-counter-riposte

That counter seems to have misread what The Fin actually said about what occurred

"Malley gave tutorials to students without even telling his former employee Macquarie University he was doing it. He and a host of others even sold textbooks to students, like every other academic in the known world."

That isn't what occurred. Malley told students to take, off school, tutorials with a private educator for pay and in response he gave them higher grades. This off site tutorial was run by his wife.

It's also a little light on the why, ending with that they're trying to bring down the CPA because of the CAANz but doesn't do anything to address why Malley. Plus it reads like it managed to slip past twelve copy editors.

That's unusual, Michael West is generally not terrible for a business columnist

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Xenophon's throwing a cat among the pigeons by demanding an emissions intensity scheme in exchange for his support of the full company tax cuts lol

As much as I dislike the prospect of those tax cuts getting through I am looking forward to the squawking from the LNP back bench over this

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

Saviour of penalty rates...Some crazy assholes?

The Federal Opposition is set to clinch a Senate victory on its bill to block the Fair Work Commission's (FWC) recent penalty rates decision, in a move that will put further pressure on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to intervene.

One Nation, the Nick Xenophon Team and crossbench senator Derryn Hinch reversed their positions and will now back Labor's bill, which will almost certainly be defeated when it returns to the Lower House.

It comes as the Senate last night passed, as a matter of urgency, a motion condemning the Prime Minister's, "lack of empathy for Australian workers who rely on penalty rates to make ends meet".

During that debate, Senator Hinch openly acknowledged public pressure and a "very clever campaign" run by Labor had forced him to change his long-held position on penalty rates.

"I believe they should be the same as Saturday rates … on this I supported the umpire's decision," he said.

"But in my maiden speech I promised I would listen. I have decided now to go to the third umpire, and the third umpire's decision is that cuts to Sunday penalty rates are O-U-T, out!"

One Nation Leader Pauline Hanson also supported the FWC decision, arguing it would give "struggling small businesses" a chance at growth, but she too appeared to have caved in to public pressure.

Labor's employment spokesman Brendan O'Connor welcomed the apparent change of heart but questioned whether the crossbenchers were in fact trying to save their own jobs.

"I question their motives," he said.

Last month's decision by the FWC to reduce Sunday penalty rates for some workers in the hospitality, retail and fast-food industries sparked a political furore and opened up a new line of attack for the Opposition.

Mr Turnbull initially tried to distance himself from the ruling but he later backed it, arguing the Government respected the independence of the FWC and was standing up for small business.

However this tactic allowed Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to draw the battle lines between the Labor Party — which stands up for workers — and the Coalition — which backs business.

Mr Shorten warned the penalty rate cuts were the "thin end of the wedge" for workers in other industries and called on Mr Turnbull to support Labor's bill to, "protect the take-home pay of Australian battlers".

While Labor's bill to overrule the FWC's decision is expected to pass the Senate, it will almost certainly be defeated in the Lower House where the Government holds a slim majority.

loving lmao

This Government dot gif

holy poo poo hahaha

I like how turdball finally gave in and backed the decision, and having done that everyone else is saying it's hosed and he's the one left all alone holding on to a steaming turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dYWhkSbTU

• Locked thread