Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There is a pro-abortion rally in Brisbane right now!

I would normally be there but I'm currently doing my own research so I am trapped in the lab (y i k e s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well, there's been some interesting things coming off the back of the failed attempt to decriminalise abortion in QLD. Firstly, the Women's Abortion Rights Campaign ended up learning the hard way that having TERF-sympathetic members was really bad for the movement in general and is now attempting to be more inclusive. This is pretty cool because it now means that all the major movers/shakers in favor of abortion rights are all on the same page, so I don't think we'll have the same amounts of territorialism we've had previously. It sucks that it basically took a major tactical defeat in order to learn this lesson.

The LNP have well and truly decided that going further right is the best course of action, and thus far have done this as a unified bloc. There's no questioning that these guys (all of them) were pretty confident in their ability to shrug off negative press/opinions regarding their opinions re: abortions. I'm assuming that they are worried about the rise of PHON at the state level, so there's no real reason for them to go any further left.

The lobby groups such as the ACL and Cherish Life have been buoyed by the withdrawal of the legislation (it's a tactical victory for anti-abortion rights groups), and will probably continue to bitterly contest any attempt to decriminalise abortion (especially now that they have a win under their belt).

The ALP, while hamstrung by the minority government, were not voting as a unified bloc for decriminalisation, and have instead referred the legislation to the Law Reform commission (IIRC). I don't feel like there's been a lot of strong opinions/positions coming from the Government here, and I believe that they will be wedged between this issue and the Adani mines in the next election (which is this year). I think they've shot themselves in the foot here because they don't have anything to lose by coming out and supporting abortion (except the right wing of the ALP, I guess) because they were never going to capture conservative votes from the LNP/PHON.

Basically the whole thing is up in the air AND predicated on the ALP winning a majority government in QLD this year. It's not really a likely outcome at all, so we are probably looking at another 10-20 years before this comes up again.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Women in QLD can access abortions, however it's because they aren't enforcing that law at this moment and technically this could change at any moment (like if a conservative govt came to power)

It probably also impacts service availability

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hakimashou posted:

I thought it was funny because you guys have concentration camps for immigrants and horrible poo poo like that and 'stop the boats.'

thankfully we aren't shooting/gassing out protestors yet, or blowing their arms off with concussion grenades.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah look, it actually could be worse.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

He does have an honours degree in civil engineering, so his horrible painting at least has some grounding in reality :shrug:

Of course, in its own special way its equally on the nose as anything Trump commissioned where he's swathed in gold and striding forth like an emperor - full of poo poo, just coming from the opposite direction.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I didn't realise how right I was about Trump's portraits.

jesus loving christ

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ten Becquerels posted:

The government wants to have the powers to do the same thing Tudge did with ARE VETERANS info - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-02/government-wants-new-power-to-release-veterans-personal-info/8320268

What the gently caress is going on with all this? Is there an actual endgame here or do they really just want to have something to shut down people thinking about making public criticisms? How can they think this looks like anything besides an insanely unethical mess?

Thread reminder that this had ~~~bipartisan~~~ support in the lower house, thus reinforcing that the Australian Labor Party is actually extremely poo poo and aren't left-wing at all

e:

quote:

Labor's Shadow Veteran Affairs Minister Amanda Rishworth said while the Opposition had supported the legislation, it now had "serious concerns".
???????????????

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

What do they do now if a veteran is making false claims that could be refuted by releasing the information? Show it to a judge and have the court order them to stop/apologise/whatever?

What type of false claims? Is this the Jackie Lambie style false claims, or do you think that the legislation might be used to silence detractors?

I mean your post is an extremely hot take here but you might want to contextualise your comment with what actually just happened with a person speaking out about Centrelink. I'm guessing you took a glance at that and were like "lol bitch had it coming"

e: Not really relevant

Recoome fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I read it as a question, not a hot take? :shrug:

What does happen currently if someone criticises defence using false claims? Do they just ignore it?

Yeah I've edited my comment, although I get the insinuation that the current powers aren't good enough.

Obviously serving ADF members can't really speak out about these things because thats really bad, and I guess if they aren't an ADF member anymore then the ADF tried to correct the record as much as it can without breaching privacy, or ignores it.

An amazing example here is how the ADF lost control of the mental health narrative, when actually ADF members these days generally have better support WRT mental health when compared to the general population. Also due to the more regular psych screening, problems are also detected faster when compared to the general population. There's still a public perception that it's poo poo (it's still not ideal, and some services e.g. Navy/Army lag behind), but mental health is a bigger deal then it is in any other workplace, government or otherwise.

For contrast, the Queensland Police Service has some of the highest rates of PTSD/mental health problems of any organisation, ever. I want to say the prevalence of PTSD is approximately 33%-40%

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Konomex posted:

How is SafeSchools even an issue for people? Is it actually people legitimately becoming confused or are there a subset of bigots purposely lying and putting out misinformation about how SafeSchools is teaching children incest and beastiality is wrong and 'oh my god, pre-schoolers shouldn't be learning about putting your dick in a toaster!!'.

Are they that dense? I know they're that dense, but really? How?

Yes, also these are the same people who also pump out misinformation about abortion rights/same sex marriage aswell

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I just got an email from my state MP, who was one of the staunchest anti abortion rights people, and it's a mess. Claims that the second bill to decriminalise abortion would mean women didn't need medical oversight in order to obtain an abortion, or could be done via illegal drugs (could be done already, i guess?)

The kicker is this line.

Christian Rowan, LNP MP posted:

The most recent Parliamentary Committee report made it very clear, that if a woman in Queensland wants or needs an abortion she can obtain one safely through her doctor.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

Just so everyone know automatism defences NEVER work and never get run for this reason. That this worked at all is insanely rare and a huge what the actual gently caress. This is most likely criminal victim therefore judge didnt care.

Edit: its usually used in cases of sleepwalkers who assault or kill while sleeping.

Yeah wow hey, I'd be interest to know about what the psychologist actually said. I wouldn't think that the psychologist would even be allowed to comment about the events.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Or, if you feel compelled to evaluate it from a Freudian perspective, the wallet represents repressed desire for your mother and the act of taking it is a way to break the taboo's influence on your mind. The aftereffects of this may well be too uncomfortable to bear.

This isn't the Freudian perspective

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Only the loving ultranationalists would wear faux Islamic religious dress while going to court for racial vilification

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

every drug ever now banned

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah look it's hard to feel bad about the death of a guy who's gimmick was inciting hatred against minorities.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

quote:

RIP and condolences to the family. A great cartoonist over the years for all the top Australian mastheads including The Bulletin, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily-Telegraph-Mirror and The Australian.

The moronic and vile statements posted here by total ignoramuses speaks volumes about the sad state of the nation, which Leak to his credit tried to highlight.
lol

quote:

l didn't like a lot of what he stood for but that is no excuse for kicking down a man who is not here to defend himself and incidentally kicking down his innocent and grieving loved ones. Some people really should be ashamed for themselves.
Yeah like kicking down on minorities who also have loved ones

quote:

Bill nailed the pretentious virtue signalling Green Left hipster caricature perfectly ..Tyrants bullies, smarmy puritans and totalitarian ideologues fear and resent satirical geniuses like Bill .for their irreverent iconoclastic talent and wit...He will always remain an inspiration to me and many others RIP Bill..
okay

:siren:BONUS ROUND - ARMCHAIR PSYCHOLOGIST:siren:

quote:

[NAME REDACTED] from a clinical perspective you would be an interesting case study.

Finding sadistic amusement in the death of a private individual who you have an antagonistic attitude to because his work created a controversy over a variety of issues

There is a time and place for everything and this is not the time and this is not the place.

In accordance with the Diagnostic Statistical Manual for Mental Illnesses you have a narcissistic personality disorder.

What happened in your childhood?

If things don't go your way do you resort to the wounded child archetype spitting the dummy.

You have deep seated anger and resentment issues masking your insecurities. Identity Conflicted.

o k a y

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

OTHER THAN THE SEAT COUNT

Other than the only metric that really counts, the Liberals did great

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I guess people in WA are also too dumb to vote for multiple houses in one election

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bogan King posted:

:allears:

------------------

New FDotM

Chris Kenny is going to have a field day

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nanpa posted:

Backpedal complete. With an endorsement of marriage equality as well.

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2017/03/coopers-cancels-bible-society-commemorative-cans/

protesting/demonstrations/boycotts DON'T WORK

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Starshark posted:

Flat White
My Bill
Daisy Cousens

Daisy Cousens

14 March 2017

2:25 PM

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Email

I met Bill Leak just the once. It was at a dinner party; my old boss at Quadrant Magazine was heading back to England after a wonderful term of service in Australia. He was having a feast at Alegrias Spanish restaurant in Balmain. Officially his Editorial Assistant, I preferred to call myself ‘John O’Sullivan’s Girl Friday’. It sounded very ‘naughty secretary’, and was a conscious snub to the feminist left (for whom I always seek new ways to irritate). I arrived first, of course, to make sure all was well with the booking, and to take care of any early arrivals.

Decked to the nines as usual, manoeuvring my way into the private dining room in my pencil skirt and teetering heels, quietly fretting over whether my lipstick was bleeding, I met John’s first guest. A gentleman by the name of Peter Smith; journalist and commentator, with a charming smile and open demeanour. As we went through the usual small talk, another guest walked through the door. He was a tall, wiry man, with short silver hair and a startlingly handsome face. He carried himself with an air of someone perpetually searching; be it for coffee, company, or perhaps something more ethereal. But what struck me were his anxious eyes. This was a man with many secrets.

“Am I in the right place?” he queried.

“John O’Sullivan’s farewell dinner?” I replied.

“Yes!” he replied, relief flooding his somewhat-weathered face. “Hi,” he continued, extending his hand. “I’m Bill.”

“Bill,” I thought to myself. I quickly ran over the guest list in my head; Helen, Tim, two Peters, John and Keith of course – I knew who this was.

“Bill Leak?” I replied, my voice embarrassingly high. “Hel – hello! So nice to meet you! I’m Daisy…John O’Sullivan’s Girl Friday.”

“’John O’Sullivan’s Girl Friday?’” he repeated, his face amused and pleased. “What a wonderful way to introduce yourself!”

I laughed, nobody had ever had that reaction to my unofficial title before. I usually got looks of bewilderment at best.

I very much knew of Bill Leak. John spoke of him often, always with fondness and respect. I had included him on group emails, put him on guest lists, and of course, had heard about that particular cartoon. He seemed a man of great prestige, intellect, and daring, all of which he was, but not in the way I expected. I had anticipated a rather wizened, perhaps balding man of about seventy, a recluse with an air of cynicism. This was a gentleman, whose handsome face and unstudied smile left me strangely weak. This was Bill Leak. And I was pleased.

“Won’t you sit down? I offered.

“Thank you,” he replied. He sat next to me, and I couldn’t help but stare. There was a presence about this man, a sharp wit and effortless charisma. But above all, there was kindness. I could tell by the generosity with which he gave of his energy. There was nothing pretentious, nothing fabricated. The easy charm created conversations as easily as a snuffed candle created smoke. He was an artist, after all, genuinely interested in everything humanity had to offer. Always interested, always observing. And always thinking. I could see it in his eyes, still anxious, but less so now.

We talked all night. Islam, immigration, feminism, feminism again, the Liberal Party, much about Donald Trump, once more, my anger at third-wave feminists for neglecting the truly needy in countries under Islamic rule. All our views were shared commodities, there was not a topic we disagreed on. In the hours I knew him, I realised he was unique. A precious intellect, and an earnestness in everything he said and did.

I brought up the cartoon. I could tell it was always burning the back of his brain. And I was curious.

“You know, Bill,” I said, late into the evening. Neither one of us had been drinking, this conversation was unclouded. “I cannot, for the life me, work out why people had that reaction to your cartoon.”

Simple words, but he could sense my despair and confusion behind them. He paused. “I can, Daisy,” he began. He did not shy away. This experience was such that it shrouded his every moment. “Have you ever heard of a Freudian theory called ‘negation’?”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Glad that Dr. Bill Leak, Analyst/Therapist was able to diagnose us terrible lefties with "Negation" or whatever (lol at not using Vaillant's conceptualisation, what a rookie)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

quote:

Simple words, but he could sense my despair and confusion behind them. He paused. “I can, Agent Starling,” he began. He did not shy away. This experience was such that it shrouded his every moment. “Have you ever heard of a Freudian theory called ‘negation’?”

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i am shocked and surprised about the latest comments arising from a bag of flour

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Starshark posted:

:sigh: Again with Kenny and the dog-loving. Why doesn't anyone talk about all the dogs he DIDN'T gently caress?

A old timer in Australia in a bar, talking to a young man.

The Old Man says, "Mate, look out there to the field. Do ya see that fence? Look how well it's built. I built that fence pale by pale with me own two hands. I worked on it for months."

"But do they call me Kenny the Fence Builder? Nooo..."

Then the old man gestured at the bar. "Look here at the bar. Do ya see how smooth and just it is? I planed that surface down by me own fuckin' back. I carved that wood with me own hard labour, for eight days."

"But do they call me Kenny the Bar Builder? Nooo..."

Then the old man points out to a crumpled paper. "Eh, champ, look at this newspaper. .Do ya see this article I wrote?. Took me weeks to do the investigative legwork, sleepless nights to write it..."

"But do they call me Kenny the Investigative Journalist? Nooo..."

Then the old man looks around nervously, trying to make sure no one is paying attention.

"But ya gently caress one dog..."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Someone needs to hold an irony mirror to ol' Hanson here, gently caress

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I don't think it's appropriate for any of those professions to be looking at dead bodies while on the train.

Buddy, have you heard about Figure 1? I look at sweet pics all the time.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Bill's legacy lives on.

This is actually pretty funny (and horrifying)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The cartoonist who did the edit didn't have the chutzpah to make him say "Yeah righto, is that before or after he sucks my dick?"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

innovation and agility

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Laserface posted:

Legal advice requested. TL;DR at the bottom

Talk to a real lawyer, don't waste your time on the internet

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

sue the doctor aswell lmao

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i hope this rain washes away QLD because we a poo poo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Uni is cancelled today, mother fuckers

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ha ha i am still going out because fuk tha police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

no it's because i don't live on a floodplain, rather, I live on the glorious bastion of bourgeois money where all the poors around me get washed away but I am fine

there's one low crossing but after than I am set

• Locked thread