Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

Victorian renters will finally be able to enjoy the safety and security of long-term leases.

loving finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If anything comes out of this, I will laugh my arse off if Tudge shows his face at the local sporting club in the future

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's me, I'm the person who works twelve days a year

A Federal MP?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aejix posted:

What a loving novel idea

What, you mean against self interest and what their corporate overlords tell them to do?

Imagine if the politicians actually voted for what the majority of voters wanted, we'd have same sex marriage at least a decade ago. And no GST.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Les Affaires posted:

For those who are interested, I just got an email from the guys behind Saturday Paper. They are following the lead of Crikey by offering a weekday daily "briefing" in the morning that is basically a neat summary of news from Australia and around the world.

I don't think it's a paid-for thing, whereas I think Crikey's is. Crikey's version comes out around 8am EST but I think you have to be a subscriber to get it.

Both of these outlets do high quality investigative work, and Saturday Paper has been great from the beginning when it started a few years ago. I have zero problem advocating for either of them and if you can spare the sub fee do it.

I can't see anything on their website, do you have a link?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Recoome posted:

Thread reminder that this had ~~~bipartisan~~~ support in the lower house, thus reinforcing that the Australian Labor Party is actually extremely poo poo and aren't left-wing at all

e:

???????????????

Amazing how it becomes a "concern" when the poo poo has already hit the fan and the horse is like 10 paddocks away.

Just like how politicians change their minds about things like same sex marriage or euthanasia when they are faced with a family member dealing with either subject.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

He's like a young Russ Hinze

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

G-Spot Run posted:

Faces of PHON voters on ABC24 this morning and the haggard toothless stereotypes are out in force

Or red faced 50+ old white males

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

The Victorian former deputy speaker’s refusal to repay more than $100,000 in allowances he claimed for living outside his electorate has cost him his spot in the state’s parliamentary Labor party.

Don Nardella resigned from the party after the premier, Daniel Andrews, again asked him to repay the money.

“This morning I met with Don Nardella, the member for Melton, and I indicated to him as I have done for some time now, that in my judgment he should repay the money he claimed,” Andrews told reporters.

“He indicated to me that he was unwilling to do that and I accordingly asked him to resign from the parliamentary Labor party and he has done that. It would have been far better if he’d repay the money.”

Nardella will now sit on the crossbench, and Andrews has told him to talk to the Labor secretary to decide whether he remains in the ALP outside parliament.

When asked if he wanted to comment, Nardella told reporters: “gently caress off.”

Nardella's attitude to this whole affair has been Bronwyn Bishop like. I wonder what he thought he'd get out of this, keeping this attitude.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why Victorians whyyyyyyyyyy

The Herald Sun has hated Dandrews winning the last state election and have tried everything to get dirt on them, both with the CFA and the youth justice issues.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

Happy international womens day ladies, the chamber of commerce has your back. See cutting penalty rates is their gift to women so now they can work more hours on Sundays. Who says men never do anything for you females.

https://twitter.com/AusChamber/status/839294771961049089

For fucks sake

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

It's pretty miserable being in the most economically stable and progressive passage of governance in recent Victorian history while knowing it won't last because the paper is having a poo poo fit about apex gang and trans kids.

I had forgotten about the Apex Gang. The Vic Police have told the media time and again that it doesn't exist, yet the Hun still posts front page stories about it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I heard on the radio this morning that Peter Abetz has been standing out the front of primary schools in Perth handing out leaflets pretty well saying "If you vote Labor at the election, Safe Schools will force all male students to wear female uniforms".

You nasty piece of work Peter.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Outspoken senator Jacqui Lambie wants to know how many Muslims are helping protect Australia's borders.

She's also keen to know if any Muslim employees at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection have the authority to reject Christian refugees from coming to Australia.

The Tasmanian, in a series of questions to the government, asked for the number of Muslims getting welfare and what payments they are receiving.

Senator Lambie wrote to the ministers responsible seeking answers in February.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, through Michaelia Cash, said his department did not collect data about the faith of its employees.

Social Services Minister Christian Porter also said there was no requirement for welfare recipients to declare their religious beliefs, so the information wasn't available.

I wish Lambie would get off her "let's bash the Muslims" soap box. She's coming across as Hanson-lite.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

V for Vegas posted:

Portrait in Parliament House

enhance

:vince:

Leak's portraits were actually good, and he won some Archibalds for them. However since the accident, he turned into a real nasty piece of work.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Paingod556 posted:

So the WA senate ballot was using the old system, meaning I done went through 58 people to make sure the Tories, Christians and Anti Fluoride ( :wtc: ) parties were dead last

I assume the concensus was the new system used last year was vastly superior. Why didn't we get it for our state election?

Each state runs it's own election. For an example, the VEC runs the Victorian state election. Federal elections are run by the AEC.

LOL Hanson is already crying about her party being shafted by the Liberals in WA.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy gently caress Peter Abetz is out of a seat.

loving so he should, spreading his poison around schools about the Safe Schools program. Go back to Germany you Nazi, and take Eric with you.

JBP posted:

I don't think Andrews is going to survive but I'm also mired in endless pessimism and misery.
I hope Andrews stays in. He's done 300000 times the amount of changes to the state, especially infrastructure projects, compared to the previous Baillieu/Napthine Government.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I guess James Ashby isn't the political genius that he thought he was.

Hey Pauline, there's a reason why the Liberals used him as bait against one of their own - HE'S COMPLETELY USELESS AT ANYTHING ELSE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Starshark posted:

So Hanson obviously hasn't learned from her 1998 campaign. BE READY

And with Ashby running things and pissing off or sacking the old One Nation staff, it's going to explode big time when the QLD state election happens.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I hope Triple R drops Cooper's sponsorship of their live events over this. That's disgraceful.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice, good to see someone in the media finally calling that poo poo rag out.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

Centrelink can't handle demand for service so are cutting people off for using tools to help them get in contact with the service. :thumbsup:

This is not a user error here you fucksticks, it's your inability to manage the service. The way this is run should be a massive black mark on the CV of anyone involved, your career should be tainted by it and that stink should follow you until the end of days.

Don't worry, it will be fixed.

With more Centrelink job cuts.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tudge usually shows his face at local sports events in my local council area, I'll make sure he cops a mouthful from me if I see him sliming around the crowds.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

Come on gas companies, we're counting on you! Do it for Australia.

lol as if corporations have some sort of social obligation. That's funny Mal, funny.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Caleb in high chair: "YOU BETTER TAKE ME OUT OR YOU'LL HEAR FROM MY LAWYERS" *throws food across room*

Caleb should be spending his money on Clearasil, not lawyers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Frogfingers posted:

Wait, that's the Caleb? The young-conservative-who-already-looks-old walking stereotype? Good grief, even I would rather gently caress Leak, and he's dead!

The one and the same

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Salt water rusts the gently caress out of most metal, so yeah.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

So Victoria has been floating some potential changes to the Residential Tenancies Act including support for 5/10 year leases, limiting rent increases, allowing long term tenants to make modifications and banning no pet clauses.

The Real Estate peak body is having a fit, the funniest bit of which is threatening that some landlords will exit the market and invest elsewhere, as if lovely landlords not outcompeting potential owner-occupiers would be bad for anyone other than the parasites themselves.

Good.

Bogan King posted:

So this hydro business has been in the making for a long time and all interested parties have been consulted thoroughly before the announcement. It is definitely not a knee-jerk reaction to SA looking out for its citizens at all. Oh wait

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/842128677986959360

I'm surprised that Turnbull thinks this is a good idea, considering the whole Snowy River Hydro idea would collapse if Australia goes through another period of droughts, like back in the 2000s.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/842181014600400897

And the boomers stealing money from the young train keeps chugging along.

loving hell this government does the complete opposite to what experts tell them to do, don't they?

G-Spot Run posted:

loving hell. I have hardly any super as it is.
I have a bit of super, but sure as poo poo not going to use any of it to buy a house, it's so stupid that it beggars belief. I can't believe Turnbull (since Morrison has been pretty well demoted from being Treasurer) is thinking of going ahead with this

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

G-Spot Run posted:

To clarify I wouldn't either, but I think I've had pretty average earnings and time worked for a mid 30s woman and I have less than $50k in super. I would need to pull it all for a house deposit at current medians, and that would leave me retiring with maybe $100k? I don't even know how much you're meant to have but it doesn't seem like that's how much you're theoretically supposed to have. So it's just setting up another Boomer-esque pension crisis or starvation as above

Realistically you need at least $100k deposit for most home loans these days :smith:

Holy gently caress Weatherill has really pissed him off. That's gold. Maybe Dandrews should jump in for some extra poo poo stirring.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I await the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Gerry Harvey

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tithin posted:

The registered email address is a Gmail account

Ah poop

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

Here I made this to help some of you understand the PHON > ALP > LNP preference flow:

CFMEU are racists?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

norp posted:

Smash the state?

Guillotine

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tarantula posted:

Possible evacuations for parts of Townsville, I should probably stock up on rum before it hits. What's some good music to go with a cyclone? I'm thinking something classical.

How about some Neil Young?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnYmEqh4I4A

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

THE FREE MARKET WILL PROVIDE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Synthbuttrange posted:

giant boob off qld

I didn't know Dutton was back in town

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ten Becquerels posted:

Barnaby wants to take the Leadbeater's Possum off the endangered list so they can cut down more trees in Victoria and save 250 JOBS. I'm not sure what he thinks he's doing or why he thinks people will go along with his idea to threaten a very cute animal. Should have picked an uglier animal to try and justify the likely extinction of.

I love how the Coalition freaked out about the parrot hitting the wind turbines, and the trees being cut down on St Kilda Road for the Metro Tunnel, but hey let's kill off the Leadbeater's Possum for a dying industry

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The head of the AMA has come out in support for coal fired power stations over the health of people who live near them.

What the gently caress.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...health-benefits

Oh, he's a Liberal stooge, that's why.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

Cory Bernardi is doing a speaking tour apparently.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/cory-bernardi-the-why-event-tickets-33201286943#tickets

Tags for the event: 18c, Climate Change, Conservative, Free Speech, liberal, libertarian :barf:

You forgot the "poo poo head" tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seemlar posted:

He's sinced doubled down on it.

He's now attacking the teenage daughter of the Governor of the RBA:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/29/mark-latham-attacks-15-year-old-daughter-of-reserve-bank-governor

• Locked thread