Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The Liberal Party on Bikes

Australia's only truly left party, the Greens look to leader Karl Marx to light the way while some faux-leftie named Di Natale sends out Facebook posts and tries to ignore the SALTies attempting splits in NSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kafka Syrup posted:

Roberts is pretty clearly having a different conversation in his head than the one happening in the chamber.

He prattles on, looms over his spectacles and tries to sound like a British investigator and I want to punch his loving face.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

So I guess this means over the next 2 - 5 years the minimum wage is going to go up by $100 pw so :toot:

Two years would mean

A) you work full time hours over five days of the week
B) FWC increases wages by 4.5% a year

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh naaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

https://twitter.com/G_Parker/status/836742000342814721

Guess we're not going to see more jobs after all.

Incredibly enough, Harvey was actually saying it's a pissy amount of money for a company making $260m in profit and won't make difference.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Now let them have cattes and hang pictures on the wall and not be inspected at the whim of the landlord.

I had to live with a cat in an apartment for 6 months. You should be able to get a ten year lease and make minor alterations to the property, but cats loving stink, scratch poo poo and make noise and they're not allowed near my property.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

This is pretty reasonable in QLD, they have to give seven days notice and there has to be a fair time between inspections. Is it different in other states?

That's the same in Melbourne. Inspections should be on set dates and given to you at the start of lease. It's bullshit because sometimes you don't check your mail or whatever and are like oh a stranger is coming inside my house in two days, neat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

Liberal senator Eric Abetz has dramatically intervened in the penalty rates debate, calling for workers' existing rates to be protected, and creating a fresh political headache for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

lol wedge lol

I mean I didn't expect this to come from a dude like Abetz, but his proposal allows a business to dismiss casuals and get new ones that don't have the protected rate. Considering that casuals are the real losers through anything like this, it's a bit of a "but see I'm a nice guy" play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We now cross live to pre-eminent LF economists, Francis Fukyomama and Red Ken.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

snaeksikn posted:

I’ve never dealt with Centrelink before in my life so I don’t really know the best way for someone to get traction with the bastards.

A compliance team has been dispatched to your location for immediate decommission of the malfunctioning client.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

One more thing. When driverless cars exist automated jobs exist, and they will. What do we do with all the unemployed uber/taxi/truck/bus drivers humans?

I raised this at a union council meeting a few years ago and people laughed at me and then started riffing on me about robots.

e: like I specifically raised automated warehousing and specifically ammonia based cold storage with robotic picking (bc ammonia cold is easy to sell as being green, but it's poo poo to work in so you replace your dudes with machines and no one's going to care) and got treated like a crackpot. Guess what exact loving warehouse just opened in Australia with 20 maintenance guys doing 150 people's jobs?

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 3, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Props to the lifers itt that still believe in any non two-party politics outcome that isn't PHON.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can't remember where I heard it, but apparently West Virginia has like way more nurses employed now than coal mining did at its height. The idea that it's economic pain being directed in the wrong direction is complete poo poo. There's going to be far more economic problems for West Virginia from Trump loving healthcare than would ever be solved through resuming coal mining at its peak levels. It's just white nostalgia.

I get the argument but I don't know what the change in population is there. You still need ground floor, no education work and that's sorely lacking right now. Only going to get worse as ground floor, some education work gets technologied to death.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Buying planes is diplomacy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Only the loving ultranationalists would wear faux Islamic religious dress while going to court for racial vilification

Question mark.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

iajanus posted:

Can they define a holiday home as having to be in a different state, for a start? At least that should stop people claiming it for their local investment properties.

That's a ludicrous suggestion. No state is ever going to want to support people buying holiday homes interstate, nor should it be forced on people that want to buy a beach shack.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

If you own a holiday home, then you should be in a position to be able to afford the taxes on it, tbh.

What if you aren't in that position? You just have to sell it to someone that can afford the taxes because they have more money than you.

open24hours posted:

Do beach shacks even exist anymore? I thought they were all bought up and renovated decades ago.

There are plenty of places outside Portsea, Torquay or whatever that are cheap and cheerful. If you go 500m back from the beach, you're in shack town.

e: there are also plenty of beachside small towns that don't have fancy pubs and development around that are still economically priced due to being unpopular or not near a brand name beach. They're drying up though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

I Imagine any vacancy tax would be based on something like property value, or council rates. So if you get a beach shack that isn't worth much, then you won't be paying much on it. If you can't afford it then maybe you should sell it. If there aren't enough eager rich people around to buy them, then I imagine property valuations would fall to a level that could support them. Cheaper shacks for the people who can barely afford them sounds like a win to me. If it is still too much for them, then they can just go to a lodge/caravan park like the rest of us plebs.

I'm not sure who the person that can afford a 100k shack but not an additional ~1k a year in taxes is. How can you be struggling that much, and also go on regular holidays (even on a budget, you still spend more then you would on a typical weekend)? If these places don't have running water, electricity, sanitation, or council services, then I can understand why it ought not to be considered a property for the sake of a vacancy tax. But if your shack is more house than shack, then maybe it ought to be treated like a house. I can also understand if the house is in a region where there isn't demand for rental properties. But on the other hand, should we really be giving any concessions to people who build and outfit dwellings that are left largely unoccupied? It seems really wasteful from my perspective.

You take a holiday using your leave whenever you like without worrying about peaks and also buy a reasonably priced investment with your disposable income. That's the attraction. The people that can afford a 100k shack but not the taxes are going to be people that have already paid off the home. Even if you introduced a moderate (by Aus standards) of 5-10% tax that's still $5-10k a year you need to dig up. That is real money.

The demand for homes in holiday areas isn't for workers or whatever in any case. Few people live there and the people buying property are going to holiday there which is how those small economies tick over. Holiday homes are seriously the least concern when it comes to housing availability and affordability unless you run a surf shop.

e: tax the gently caress out of and punish with metal baton anyone that abuses access to tenancy and a home near major centres of employment though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Honestly the sad thing about this is that working class people no longer have the security of employment or moderate disposable income to invest any money in their future or recreation. It's disgraceful.

Double E post:

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 6, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

Welp. It's happening. All the menial labour jobs are going to be replaced. You'll need a considerable amount of education to get a job in the future. Which means poor people, who can't afford TAFE courses, and won't have the requisite skills to get into university (as their poor parents can't help them and the school system is fairly bad at value adding these skills to children) will remain unemployed forever. How can you apply for several jobs a week if there are none.

Fully automated luxury communism is the answer, but everyone will just end up dead instead.

Utopian future. Only 500 million humans on earth or something. All ecological disasters averted. Thanks oligarchical capitalism!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

You do know that this vacancy tax only cover's Melbourne's inner and middle suburbs? If you have a holiday home in the city, then tough poo poo, you can afford the tax. I don't even know why there is an exemption for them in the first place. The $100k beach shack in Melbourne is a purely hypothetical example. If it applied to a small coastal towns, then yeah it'd suck.

I responded to a poster who was specifically talking holiday homes as an extension of this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Auspol April - Honourable senators interjecting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pauline said "line up a number of Muslims and you tell me, who's the good one?"

Now repeat this in Clint Eastwood's voice.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's more that when you apply that type of voice it literally sounds like "line them up and kill them."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

First dog sucks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

e: revoked post about first dog being a bit of a oval office.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 7, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

So why did you leave in the gendered slur?

I added it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He's a scab, I'll call him what I want.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OK then I'm sorry I won't.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why Victorians whyyyyyyyyyy

Apex gang have taken over the state and we are living in a perpetual state of fear due to their superior equipment and numbers. Send gunships.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Herald Sun today unsurprisingly has a full page of letters getting mad about buying women brand traffic lights instead of investing the money in building bipedal walking tanks to fight Apex gang.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not worth worrying about if you don't commit crimes *farts*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Let's check the crime computer Timmy!

*detects and preemptively apprehends black man*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The computer isn't going to do that in the street in plain view of hard working tax payers you savages.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

wombat74 posted:

The Libs had massive reprinted copies of Hun front pages bagging out Andrews at every polling booth. They really are just the Lib's propaganda branch

It's pretty miserable being in the most economically stable and progressive passage of governance in recent Victorian history while knowing it won't last because the paper is having a poo poo fit about apex gang and trans kids.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

I had forgotten about the Apex Gang. The Vic Police have told the media time and again that it doesn't exist, yet the Hun still posts front page stories about it.

No you see they're called the apex gang because they are the big powerful gang. It says it right there. Apex gang.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Guys, guys, they're also black so please don't forget about that when you tabulate the current apex threat level.

There was a good article recently about a Lebanese prostitute mum operating as the handler for apex gang missions from her Dandenong home or something to that effect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LMAO missed this. You leave that wonderful woman out of this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Sure, then you're stuck right in between Neo-Imperial Russia and The French Reich.

France uses a two stage presidential election, le pen can't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Australia, the movie.

Man films own racist tirade against 7-Eleven employee

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/03/09/man-films-own-racist-tirade-against-7-eleven-employee

• Locked thread