Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Please insert the smiley of infinite vomit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

EDIT: This stuff passing out of living memory does has an effect, too, I think. At mum's old work the guy who organised her payroll was postwar migrant from Germany, a lovely old man; I remember reading his wife's memoir of when they were pre-war Germany and remarking that someone in their street had been disappeared for simply having the BBC Overseas Service on their radio. They decided to get the hell out of there when they got the chance.

Yeah, this is pretty much why my grandfather's family noped out of Germany in the mid 30s. They were Jewish and saw enough of the things that were happening to realise getting out of dodge was the smart plan. Some of the extended family didn't have the same foresight and got to spend the rest of the war enjoying the Nazi's hospitality, to varying results.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can they define a holiday home as having to be in a different state, for a start? At least that should stop people claiming it for their local investment properties.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

JBP posted:

That's a ludicrous suggestion. No state is ever going to want to support people buying holiday homes interstate, nor should it be forced on people that want to buy a beach shack.

I meant more removing the ability of people to claim local properties that definitely aren't holiday houses from being claimed as such. My real preference is to not have the exemption at all.

e: I mean, hell, if you can afford to own a holiday house I have no problem having it be taxed.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tokamak posted:

You do know that this vacancy tax only cover's Melbourne's inner and middle suburbs? If you have a holiday home in the city, then tough poo poo, you can afford the tax. I don't even know why there is an exemption for them in the first place. The $100k beach shack in Melbourne is a purely hypothetical example. If it applied to a small coastal towns, then yeah it'd suck.

It smells of the typical "think of the little battler!!!" argument used to distract everyone from the fact the only people really affected are at the complete other end of the scale and share nothing in common with them except species.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

At least the racists are streamlining the name-and-shame process by just videoing themselves.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

He thought he was in the right

:australia:

He just wanted a hotdog so badly :'(

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

but my mail would have been slightly delayed!!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I had some democracy sausages for breakfast and am now drinking good scotch and laughing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

OTHER THAN THE SEAT COUNT

A wonderful parody account, I believe.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bogan King posted:

Microbrew Spoiler Alert: Most are owned by the big guys and it's just branding :ssh:

They do taste nice, though

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Starshark posted:

I will always regret that moment I left the launch.

I will always regret that moment that daisy left the womb.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

open24hours posted:

Come on gas companies, we're counting on you! Do it for Australia.

If only the government had the power to legislate things like this rather than just bank on the good will of big businesses.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

starkebn posted:

because we have to know if you like pink or blue

Wait

I have some pink football jerseys and I like wearing them

But I am married to a woman

Have I accidentally broken the gay marriage embargo?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

drowned in pussy juice posted:

professional referee spotted, you dog

Well, I do have pretty poor eyesight...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Or just losing your packages (two of mine this month have disappeared off the face of the earth :argh:)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have had 2 fitbit bands stuck in customs for nearly two months now.

My lost packages were being shipped from Brisbane to Beenleigh :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ewe2 posted:

She got a handful of votes at the following council elections because everyone is sick of her.

I'll think you'll find that from the VCAT decisions mentions that she's been informed that "a majority of Bendigo supports [her]" :colbert:

Maybe they were all sick that day?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some quality trolling from Bolt, given his previous experience with lists of ten things

If you haven't read it the whole thing is worth a read and a great example of how Bolt is actively dishonest (which is also what happened in his RDA case; 18D gives you huge amounts of leeway as long as you're arguing in good faith).

That's always the most galling part of the whole 18C shemozzle; 18D gives you massive leeway to be a massive racist, you just need to be arguing in good faith. Strangely this seems to be a problem for most of the people who want to see this dismantled :iiam:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Reminder: In this free and democratic country it is illegal to withdraw your labour under any circumstances without first notifying a government department.

Well, they told the ABC... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Apparently PHON back flipped on penalty rates. Lol

Shocker

• Locked thread