Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Chir, I think you're projecting your own views on the Cowboys. You're arguing that a team that just spent the 4th overall pick on a running back won't invest in the running back position. I don't think you would have made the Zeke pick, and I don't think the Cowboys see eye to eye with you about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

I see his point in that the Cowboys felt it was OK to invest a draft pick in Running Back, but there's clearly a difference (to them anyways) between draft capital and money/cap space

There is no difference. It's all a finite amount of capital you have available to spend to make the team better. And a 4th overall pick costs a fuckload more than a 7 AAV contract. If you gently caress up on a 7 AAV contract, it sucks, but you can still be competitive. You gently caress up the 4th overall pick, and it can set your franchise back years. I didn't say the Cowboys WOULD resign Murray, just that it would serve them well to pay him. And it would've. Demarco would probably still be killing it behind that line, and you could've had Bosa on the cheap. They didn't have the cap space to do that though, so they spent a high draft pick that they did have available instead. Had the roles been reversed, and they had traded the 4th overall pick away and they had a bunch of cap space available, do you honestly believe they still would've let Murray walk? Don't be silly. A team that drafts a player top 5 clearly values that players position. You don't see kickers going top ten when they are the BPA.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 2, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The funny thing about kickers is that the growth at the position has been so limited. All the players in the league are bigger, faster, and stronger, and the game has changed significantly because of it. But the longest field goal in NFL history today is only one yard further than what the longest field goal in NFL history was nearly 50 years ago. Kickers are constantly getting more accurate, but it's possible we may not see a 70 yard field goal in our lifetimes if current trends continue

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lmao

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/838588037915426817

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's showed enough upside that I'd take him as a guy who could compete over some 33 year old retread. Not at 14mil AAV tho you must be high

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

Isn't Future's kid a little old to be doing nude baby shoots

I have a billion questions but that one immediately sticks out

the one that stuck out for me was whether this was russells or ciaras idea

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Packers are getting a little old too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

He didn't do anything wrong from the look of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Um what was the point

browns get a second for cap space when they were probably going to end up under the cap floor for this season anyways, and the texans can use their repurposed osweiler moneys to get not osweiler. it's a win for everyone except for osweiler lol.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Browns bought a draft pick and Texans got the cap space to sign a good QB (Romo pls) and compete for a Super Bowl immediately.

well compete for a super bowl for 3 weeks until romo goes on ir

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Silly Burrito posted:

Eh, he got paid.

He's going to lose all his roster and workout bonuses and such that he would've earned from being on the team over the next couple years since he was ~uncuttable~. But beyond that, if the man had any sort of ambition about being an NFL qb, this has got to be a level of devastating that hasn't been seen in the NFL since LeCharles Bentley got a career ending injury on the first snap of mini-camp after signing with his favorite team.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

McClain is saying that the Texans aren't interested in trading for Romo, only going after him in FA. It's entirely possible Denver could get Romo and Houston would have been more than willing to trade away Osweiler just so he's off the team.

Or maybe Jay Cutler

They could go Cutler and a 1st or 2nd on a QB in the draft if they didn't want to trade for Romo. Romo would probably give them the best chance in the short term though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

not arguing that; just funny that if McClain is right then the Texans just wanted Osweiler gone and it may not have even been due to Romo

yeah i'm with you. even in a vacuum it's the right move. but they do have to do something now since they don't have a qb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

Has there ever been as blatant a salary dump trade as the Brock trade? I'm trying to think up one and coming up empty.

there's always been rumors of them, but they never seem to actually happen. teams always just end up eating the money until they can cut the player, and bad teams with a ton of cap space just end up carrying a bunch of cap space into the season. i can't recall a single blatant salary dump like this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

There are tons of them in the NBA but I think having as much cap space as the Browns with so little hope for being worth a poo poo the following season to be willing to eat that kind of hit is uncharted territory

the raiders had like $120 million a couple years ago. the jags are always have a shitload too. every year there's teams that could easily eat 20 million that are in full rebuild mode. and those teams always have to go over the scrap heap for free agents, so there's nobody they could spend that cash on anyways. the deals just never happen. maybe this one will break the seal and we'll start to see them more often if the nfl doesn't try to nip it in the bud. although another thing to keep in mind is that i think you can carry cap space over from previous years in some form now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's losing roster/workout bonuses, right?

he's not entitled to those. the texans had the option to cut him, in which case, he would've lost all of that stuff. they would have had to carry a bunch of dead money if they did that, so osweilers contract did give incentive for the texans to keep him and pay him his bonuses over the next couple years, but there was nothing forcing them to. that's the teams jurisdiction. so long as osweiler gets his guaranteed, i don't see what the nflpa would take issue with.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

whypick1 posted:

Cutler wasn't a franchise QB for the Bears only if you ignore the entire history of Bears QBs.

sid luckman you rube

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coronaball posted:

Yep, looking real great Aldon!

@nbcbayarea: 'I'm doing great." #Raiders Aldon Smith released from #SFPD after being detained overnight for public intoxication. http://nbcbay.com/VrhDM40 https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/status/839971116231823361/video/1
Shared via TweetCaster

what the gently caress is he on, goddammit aldon

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Best hangover cure is a cheap, greasy breakfast and sweet tea, y'all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

A top RB can thrive with a poo poo line, and average guy can with Dallas'. Your poo poo line is exactly why fournette is a good choice, if the coaches think he can be good. He takes pressure off Bortles and keeps defenses honest so that you can try to get that Passing game going.

It takes a really, really good rb to be able to do that these days though. Lb's are faster and dt's are bigger than ever

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My point exactly. He doesnt look like he runs like Beast Mode.

There's more than one way to do it. Barry never really had the best o lines. But like I said, it takes a special back to be able to consistently make poo poo happen regardless of who is in front of them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Q_res posted:

And still never once put up a <1000 yard.

And still averaged 5 yards per carry over his career.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raku posted:

Fournette and Gurley both failed my super secret runningback test: if they aren't the best back on the team their last year in college don't draft them early

Wasn't gurley out with an ACL tear? Not sure I agree with your methodology

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/MarquetteKing/status/843498269716037636

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Was Dwight Clark the punt returner for the first falcons super bowl team

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eli Wiggum posted:

You're thinking of Tim Dwight

Yeeeeah. That dude was cool af.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They're going to weigh it before they give it back to him right

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like Thursday night games because they break up the schedule more. Having 6 games going on at noon on Sunday is dumb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

Yeah pretty much. So football games would have like 8 hours of stoppage time

No it wouldn't because the clock stops during stoppages in the NFL. In soccer, it keeps running. If we were on soccer rules, at the start of the game there'd be a kick return, a few first downs, a punt, and then it'd be the two minute warning

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

How many goddamned times has this dude been shot?

However many empty shell casings Hernandez has tattooed on him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

i hope he dies

In all likelihood you'll live to see the day he does. :unsmith:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

I'm going to find his headstone and piss on it.

Same with Spanos

I'm gonna pour a piss and codeine cocktail on jamarcus's.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rg3 didn't fail because his system doesn't work he failed because his knee got destroyed making it impossible for him to do his system.

His system was basically to get hit in awkward ways by huge as gently caress dudes while being like 119 pounds p much all the time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rodgers has had some good o lines, but I still remember how horrible it was his first year or two as a starter. He was a loving wizard for generating offense behind it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Teams didn't want to give up picks for a mediocre starter and that explains why he's now viewed as worse then the shitawful garbage currently infesting rosters like EJ Manuel.

It's not a draft, dude. Players aren't signed in order from best to worst. EJ got signed for dirt cheap to be a backup/3rd string. Kaep is going to want to go somewhere where he can compete to be a starter. That ain't happening in Oakland.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

Most people seem to think Luck is really good but plays on a garbage team which is basically reality.

So does Derek Carr. Luck is just a loser.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

Lol if you think the raiders are as bad as the colts are right now

They're definitely not as bad as the colts because they have a much better qb.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

Carr is being carried by Cooper and Crabtree and plays with a Alex Smith mentality despite having a rocket

Those two were among the league leaders in dropped balls and Carr is as funslinger as it gets.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite Carr funslinging thing was against the Packers I think two years ago. At the line of scrimmage he called an audible because he saw Cooper had a one on one, so he said gently caress it and had Cooper run a fly route. Completed for a big gain. Everyone hustled back to the line, and the defense must've gave him the same look, because he called the exact same audible and hit Cooper deep again for a TD. Like 70 yards in two plays. It was hilarious. Dude has never seen a one on one matchup he didn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

Without a second thought, yes

100% because of age tho

• Locked thread