Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jack2142 posted:

Fast forward to 2017 with a now in their 70's Jennings sitting in the Oval Office with Trump.

Or have a parody sketch during the commercial where their cover gets blown - she dyes her hair and starts calling herself Kellyanne, and he joins the Navy and changes his name to Steve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Martha will love Russia. Around this time it's full of ~wounded Alpha males~ with thousand yard stares for her to 'fix.' Good luck getting any of them to read the Kama Sutra, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It wasn't Glanders he was trying to move when he infected himself - it was Lassa. Lassa's a hemorrhagic fever. It's not quite as deadly as Ebola, but it's still medically significant, and it was implied that these particular virus strains were engineered, like the 'Super Glanders' was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

drunkill posted:

As shown at the start of the episode, basically nobody can get food in the USSR, they're in the middle of a famine. Even the KGB staff were 'joking' about it. Hell, Olegs father is (the minister?) in the Ministry of Railways and I doubt their dinner was lavish.

The CIA extracted him from Russia so I expect food shortages will be the big thing this season.

Here are a few more shortage/queuing jokes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X9hPYGp1Bs

Also, I couldn't help but think of "Papers, Please" when the son was going through passport control.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 9, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You know, with this show taking place in the Northern VA area, I'm surprised they've done the 'poison umbrella' thing, but didn't take advantage of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...n_Boris_Korczak

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Soviets started importing grains after a pretty major drought in 1963 made a huge dent in their livestock from panicked slaughtering, but my guess is that this storyline might've been suggested to them by their new advisor. The Soviets were uber-paranoid in the early 80s, because they could begin to see the end coming, and thought every little thing was a capitalist plot to perform the ~coup de grace~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Someone remind me what was the last we heard from pastor tim? He was nabbed in africa then came home and i forgot after that

He, his wife, and their child died on the way back to their home planet.

Paige isn't acting like she has ~Christ's love~ in her heart anymore, and thank gently caress for that (apologies to maybe the 1-2 faithful lurkers in this thread who liked that storyline).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"The rest of you roll for damage."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm worried they're spreading themselves too thin over multiple primary storylines in one season.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

misdirectomy posted:

Is this seasons grain plotline rooted in reality in any way? I would think I'd have heard something about it, biological warfare against another countries food supply? Was it rumored to be true in the USSR?

Nothing that corresponds with anything declassified, but in an ironic twist: http://www.graincentral.com/cropping/forces-rally-to-contain-russian-wheat-invader/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Henry Black posted:

Also, I loved Martha's wtf face as she examines a packet of Russian spice cake.

Reminded me of a story Viktor Belenko (the first pilot who defected with a MiG-25), about how he mistakenly bought and ate cat food at his first supermarket because it resembled food containers he recognized, and merely thought the cats on the label were a 'company mascot' or something. He also thought the supermarket was a CIA prop to convince him how great America was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As usual, though - capitalism is always best at lampooning itself: http://www.cracked.com/video_20330_honest-ads-grocery-5Bph5D.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

The last few seasons have had a lot of good moments of Henry being like a more lowkey AJ Soprano-style gently caress up, and I really enjoyed it. Seems like this season he's almost never there and they're always calling attention to his absence by making up an excuse for it

Or ~The Centre~ gave Henry his very own MILFy Soviet Sex Teacher like they did with the other kid (because they're 'not moving quickly enough with Paige'), and *that's* where he is all the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

phosdex posted:

I guess there is a russian version of The Americans that has become pretty popular:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/23/the-next-must-watch-tv-show-is-russias-version-of-the-americans/

*nabs him as he comes out of a Moscow McDonald's*

"The FSB! How do you always catch me!?!?"

"Foolish American, you ordered your Big Mac with *extra sauce*! No Russian would ever be that greedy!"

*the totally ~Alpha male~ security force personnel share a manly and triumphant laugh as three Bentleys pass, the first carrying a Russian oil tycoon, the second his groceries, and the third his dog*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

Apparently Moscow actually had tons of disco bars in the early 80s and they were partially controlled by the KGB and were popular spots for meeting foreign agents so holy poo poo writers give us Oleg in the disco now please

Буги-лихорадка!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Center recruited Henry behind his parents back, he's never shown because he's off on various missions just as complicated as theirs. When they find this out it will be the greatest crisis of the entire show, and will lead to their abandoning communism and the USSR for good. The last scene will be Henry shooting both of them.

Henry will kill Phillip's real son and it will be exactly like Hallorann in the Kubrick Shining movie.

And/or it's my joke post and they've given him his own attractive 20-something Soviet sex teacher like they did with the kid who went crazy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay? >.>

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Side angle: Henry is ~Zero Cool~ and by getting caught he forces The Centre to disavow Phil and Liz.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Somehow (in case it comes true) I've a feeling that Philip's ultimately going to have to kill Elizabeth and then himself to save Paige and Henry from becoming *them*, right after sending a full confession to Stan for him to receive posthumously.

FX is the network of Fargo. There's not going to be a happy ending here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I don't foresee Stan having any happier of an ending either. In fact I think it's possible he'll get fired (or worse) before Philip and Elizabeth get caught.

Or relegated to being the 'pudgy guy' helping Tom Hanks' character catch Frank Abagnale in the Check Fraud division.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I wonder if Stan might actually end up helping them...

(...I mean if you think about it a lot of his arc has always been building empathy with supposed enemies like Nina and Oleg.)

Uh, no. I could see Stan murdering the both of them, though. Phil is basically Stan's only non-work friend - and learning after all this time that your *only* non-work friend was a Soviet agent who you can never be sure was genuinely concerned in the slightest with your problems past "does he know who I really am" would be kind of a shock, to say nothing of "oh god you're trying to turn my son into a Commie with your daughter." Remember, Stan's probably still working off the whole "I had to pretend to be a white supremacist neo-Nazi for years" thing, where HE had to pretend to be friends with the most toxic community you can imagine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Well, being his only non-work friend would be a point in my favor I think, and him being an agent with a cover himself at one point might also actually help him relate, but I'll cede the point simply because I just remembered how violently Stan reacted when he thought the worst thing was that Phillip was boning his ex-wife.

I'll compromise in the sense that I think an actual fight between Phil and Stan would be *amazing*. Stan looks like the type who'd still have his hands around Phil's neck even after Liz had stabbed him fifty times in the back - like a paler Brock Samson.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

She didn't look too shattered, though.

"That's okay, honey...from now on *I'll* wear the killin' pants."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 5, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Started the pilot. It's great. Very different, though.

Edit: It's like if The Americans were a decent comedy.

You'll never look at a suitcase the same way again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

The original Worlds of Wonder Lazer Tag...

I could see a Beemans vs. Jennings match of this giving Stan a :what: moment if Phil and/or Liz inadvertently start showing off expert tactics.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Where'd you learn to combat roll like that, Elizabeth?"

"Uhm...cheerleading. Yeah...cheerleading." :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

There's no way Gabriel let Mischa leave.

Yeah, if they didn't cattle prod or stun gun that kid the second they could shove him into a deserted alley, I really have to question Gabriel's competence.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't see why Mischa would voluntarily go back into Soviet territory after all he went through to get out and also his criticisms of the USSR and Afghanistan, no matter what Gabriel says.

From my remembrance of that scene, it was implied that Gabriel wasn't alone. In fact, I was kind of :ohdear:ing at Gabriel holding an umbrella.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

Mischa seems destined to get shot by Claudia, and with the way that Gabriel and Claudia have been mirroring Philip and Liz for the past few seasons...

What I'm saying is that Liz will kill Mischa in the finale.

Claudia will offer him some Vodka "from home." The poison'll already be in the glass.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paige, meet the closest thing you have to a grandpa.

"And he's leaving in like, two days, so don't get too attached. Hope that doesn't depress you more."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 12, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doronin posted:

First, whoever mentioned The Patriot on Amazon in this thread and called it 'transcendent,' thank you for that. I started watching that this weekend and holy poo poo. That's some of the best TV there is.

That said, I'm really eager to see where this season of Americans even ends up at this point. Usually I have a vague sense at what the endgame is of a story. Phil has had hangups and misgivings with the cause from Day 1, but I am beginning to wonder if Elizabeth might not be starting to really question things.

I think what might manage to snap Elizabeth out of her ~zeal~ might be either a failed or successful suicide attempt by Paige.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

There's no way she'd be able to empathize with it. Her reaction would be anger. At Paige.

"How could such weakness come from *me*? -looks at Philip- YOU. YOU DID THIS!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grinning Goblin posted:

I'm almost expecting that Henry's girlfriend might be a soviet spy and she is trying to recruit and/or use him to milk additional information out of Stan. I'm also expecting Henry to get caught by Stan, have him admit everything, and having Stan ask Phil if he knew that his son was a soviet spy.

"He does fit the profile perfectly. He's intelligent, but an under-achiever; alienated from his parents; has few friends. Classic case for recruitment by the Soviets."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"I just don't see this going anywhere...oh you're married? I can gently caress up a marriage? Now I'm interested!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Philip and Elizabeth are now actively setting up Pasha to potentially get his rear end kicked so he goes back to Russia with his mom. :stare:

Somehow I think they're going to go too far and Pasha's going to end up in the bathtub with his wrists cut.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Directorate K is/was counterintelligence. The deeper implications here is that Burov was named by Ames or Hannsen. We're around that time frame historically.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd imagine Pasha's situation is giving both Phil and Liz pause about Henry should they have to GTFO of the US.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Had a noteworthy relationship with a Soviet agent, tried to convince his bosses to stop spying on his best bro in the KGB, it would make sense if someone suspected he's a double agent.

Too obvious, but it'd be enough in the Reagan era to mark you as a "fellow traveler" and cost you your clearance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I don't think she'll kill him. Stan is a big guy and even though he's never had to show it, FBI counterintelligence agents are trained to hold their own physically. He also spent time with white supremacists, who basically fight to prove they "ain't no faggots."

I think the drama will come from the point that the burden of proof will be entirely on him to prove she was an agent, and combined with him sleeping with her and already being on the AG's poo poo list will compound the situation enough that it'll end his career and probably land him in prison.

Or, he'll tell Philip and Aderholt since they're his only friends who are close enough to help him "make it go away," and Philip will have a huge crisis of conscience because he'll have two FBI C-I agents hook, line, and sinker and have to decide to keep it from Elizabeth, who would definitely tell Claudia.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It wasn't Glanders they used in Afghanistan. They were trying to smuggle a particularly virulent strain of Lassa fever.

• Locked thread