Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought guests were the ones who are supposed to bring gifts.

I mean you're already paying for the loving wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I hear you but the amount of stuff that comes with paying for the wedding. My fiance is freaking out about having to pay for her bridesmaids make up and hair as is.

I figured we would all wear superhero t-shirts under our tuxes and that would be it. Haven't really considered renting the tuxes as well but could possibly budget for it. Also there is already a fine bottle of whisky to go along with the flasks.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ties are better. At least for regular suits.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I've been to two weddings where the groomsmen all turned to face the guests and opened their shirts to reveal super hero shirts.

It's very awkward, especially when that one groomsman is 300lbs+

more like goonsman am i right

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

We had a few guests who never brought gifts, even when they promised they'd send them "later." It's annoying, but what are you gonna do?

The saddest part of a wedding is that it's probably the last time you'll hang out with a lot of those people. Everyone splinters off into couples, then people start having kids (we're child-free by choice, but everyone else we know did), nobody lives nearby anymore, and then you're just Facebook friends.

But it's still the best day of my life, no lie. Madkal, I wish you all the best for your wedding, and even better for every day after. Make sure you pay for good food and ensure good music is played, because people always remember that stuff, not the centerpieces or anything ephemeral like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

He's talking about the wedding party, groomsmen and bridesmaids get gifts, usually worth a lot less than whatever your wedding party spent to be there for your special day.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Fist episode 5: still holding out to see what RZA makes of this, but if I wasn't, this is where I would have quit. When I want corporate legal drama I pick up a John Grisham novel.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

*most popular Iron Fist comic, full of fights, pulp action and mystical happenings has like five pages tops of business drama*

*show adapted from it has multiple business and courtroom scenes, also fighting scenes are real bad*

:smuggo:

Makes sense.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think it has s single court room scene.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

New Episode of Death Battle: Venom vs. Bane

Venom sounds like a possessed Charles Nelson Reilly at times, but it's all good.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 6: okay this was actually pretty decent. RZA knows what he's doing; specifically I got the impression that he knew exactly what level of martial arts aptitude he could count on and staged the fight scenes accordingly. Good episode.

It's gonna be downhill all the way from here, isn't it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's one good fight in 8, then yes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Poor Aurora :( Life just shits on her constantly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just threw a Mr. A comic at someone going on on twitter about how nazis totally have freedom of speech and we should try to reach a middle ground with them. Ha ha ha.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Shoulda punched them in the face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't have that mozilla plug-in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's free speech not equal speech.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 7: I expect Ward to start talking about Huey Lewis and the News any second.

These Marvel shows shift gear a lot, don't they? Set up a conflict, build it up for one or two episodes, then, bang, it's resolved and there's a new status quo before you blink. At times it feels like they dug out rejected scripts and shoehorned in Danny Rand and a fight scene (it definitely did with ep 5). And they love killing off central characters mid season, which would work better as a watercooler moment if they didn't release the whole season at once. I'm wary of what's to come since this is the exact thing that ruined Luke Cage for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

It's free speech not equal speech.

I think it should be equal speech. I think everybody should get an equal amount of speech. If you use it all up really fast, too bad, you don't get to express any more opinions.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I just threw a Mr. A comic at someone going on on twitter about how nazis totally have freedom of speech and we should try to reach a middle ground with them. Ha ha ha.

Something something my grandfather didn't go to Normandy to talk to Nazis something something.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Madkal posted:

Something something my grandfather didn't go to Normandy to talk to Nazis something something.

Is your grandpa Jack Kirby

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RandallODim posted:

Is your grandpa Jack Kirby

As much as I loved my granfather I do wish Jack Kirby was my Grandfather.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think it should be equal speech. I think everybody should get an equal amount of speech. If you use it all up really fast, too bad, you don't get to express any more opinions.

I support this initiative.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That idea can work. That hook totally worked for Spawn!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That idea can work. That hook totally worked for Spawn!

So if you get popular you get extra speech? Sounds legit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like a great way to shut down civil rights activists real quick

So no

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Teenage Fansub posted:

There'll always be Marvelman.

I just thought of Miracleman for the first time in a while and googled it out of curiosity to see how it was progressing, and I forgot that Marvel got the rights in 2009 literally the summer after I graduated from high school. I remember reading the press releases and thinking that waiting until 2013 for the new Gaiman stuff was gonna be such a long wait.

and now it is 2017 and i just laugh and laugh

I can picture it now...

San Diego Comic-Con 2019
Miracleman Anniversary Panel

"We're proud to announce that, for the 10th anniversary of Miracleman's time with Marvel, we're finally gonna give the people what they want:

We're changing his name back to Marvelman! We'll start releasing each individual issue in October with the original name still at $4.99 an issue!"

"But we have one more very special surprise for everyone, a preview of some new Marvelman content!"

*Here is a picture some guy drew of Marvelman giving Kamala Khan a high-five*

"okpanelsoverpleasedontaskuswhenthenewgaimanstuffcomesoutwestilldontknowokbye"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love comic books so much

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That is an intense burst of exposition.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Kinda understand why Bendis killed most of them off panel in New Avengers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm about 50 issues into Alpha Flight, and I gotta be honest with you guys, I love it. They are all terrible. They're the worst superheroes. I'm not exaggerating when I say they spend most of their time, a clear majority of their superheroing, on preventing their own members from going evil.

Skwirl posted:

Kinda understand why Bendis killed most of them off panel in New Avengers.

Because Bendis is a hack?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think that a six-asterisk footnote across a single page of comics should legitimately get recognized by some kind of governing body. If that means they get put in the Guinness Book or if it means they get an Eisner, I'm fine either way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I think that a six-asterisk footnote across a single page of comics should legitimately get recognized by some kind of governing body. If that means they get put in the Guinness Book or if it means they get an Eisner, I'm fine either way.

I think the relevant governing body would be the court at The Hague.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My fav moment in that run was when Madison kicks the insanely jealous fat cripple out of his lame mech suit, takes it over and turns it into a transformer with more weapons than a peak Simon Bisley pic. Box Mk II owned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is some Poe's law poo poo if I ever saw it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

So many asterisks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

So many asterisks!

Oh I know this one!

What is the Summers Family?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Oh I know this one!

What is the Summers Family?

Alternate answer: clone saga.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Guy Goodbody posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What issue is this? Puck is god damned amazing and the best Alpha Flighter.

• Locked thread