Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

eXXon posted:

Jason Blake and Justin Pogge in the same video make me shudder and twitch a little.

Jason Blake is the ever important answer to the question of "who led the Maple Leafs in points for the one season after Sundin left but before Kessel arrived?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

N: Leafs back in the wild card for now.

V: :toot:

It's cool the Leafs won but that was not a very convincing game. Marner basically was the offence that game.

e: Also, a probably rare occurrence from Leafs-Canes last night. The OT goal had two defenceman on the scoring play (Rielly from Gardiner). You probably don't see that a whole lot in OT at evens.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 12, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Matthews is going through probably his worst stretch of the year and I'm worried he's finally hit the wall instead of this just being a typical slump.

Luckily cool heads are prevailing right now, but if the Leafs miss I shudder to think of the takes. It's to be expected though, he's never played a schedule even close to this before.

It's five games without a point now, right? Yeah, it would be understandable if he was gassed now especially since he didn't even play the full Swiss season last year.

It's hard to think about it this way at this stage of the race, but the playoffs really are a luxury this year. The focus should already be on figuring out where to improve for next year. And, to that end, hopefully this stretch is making a couple things clear: Whatever role they want Polak and Hunwick to fill, they need much better players for it; and even if all the kids improve they probably have to upgrade on either Komarov or Hyman.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Hyman just needs to get bumped down the roster, scoring 30 fewer points than the centre he's literally never been separated from is comical. He's the Carlyle-era Jay McClement of that line.

It's not quite as bad, since Babcock does this thing where he splits up a sort of 'third line' across the top three lines. In the case of the Leafs, their 'checking line' is Komarov-Bozak-Hyman, spread over three lines.

Relatedly, next year is Bozak's last on his contract. I hope they explore trading him in the offseason, but weirdly I think the Leafs are at the point where they can consider keeping him. The Leafs can probably think about making a semi-serious run next year, and having Bozak as a third centre is helpful, even if he's still mysteriously thought of as a defensive stopper instead of an offence-only centre who needs to be sheltered.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Arabian Jesus posted:

I think Hyman does a good job when you consider his role is entirely to just battle it out on the boards and pass it to Matthews.

If he were really doing that, I'd think he would get more assists. Like, I get that he's theoretically there to handle the defensive load, but I think that the Leafs can fill that role with a player who does the same stuff but better.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

Personally this is what I think the forward lines should be this:

Brown - Matthews - Nylander

JVR - Kadri - Marner

Komarov - Bozak - Soshnikov

Martin - Boyle - Hyman

A couple thoughts:

Bozak and JVR together is good inasmuch as both are trash defensively and would do best where they could be very sheltered. Kadri's also doing incredibly well right now while handling the toughs, and while I'm not against putting Marner with him, putting him with JVR would be at cross-purposes.

I like Soshnikov on the fourth line, inasmuch as it's a way to give the fourth line just enough offence that opposing teams cannot take them for granted. A Martin-Boyle-Hyman line could get a five minute powerplay and not score.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
put his 'tending to the test
just chain him to the post, cherie
and he'll provide the rest
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
at least he's not named Niemi
Mind his 5-hole, though, it's dire
don't believe us? Ask the Flyers
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
but did I mention he speaks French?
and on your team he won't be second-best
so go on, have a ball
Jim Nill just give a call and
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

This is really good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do the Leafs really have any prospect D-men?

Valiev and Dermott, I guess. Certainly nobody of the quality that you would expect them to solve any real problems soon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What a worthless post.

Your subsequent posts, that had content, were good. This post, however, was not. Please put more effort into your posting, like you did in your subsequent, good posts.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Martytoof posted:

World -> upside down

But seriously, I dislike the guy but I'd love to have him on my team :unsmith:

I don't like reaction gifs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fateo McMurray posted:

I don't like olives

I feel owned.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Is Zaitsev good though?

Reasonably tough zone starts, roughly even possession, 20 even strength points. Not a world-beater or anything but I think he's definitely on the "good" side of the ledger.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Leafs get all three teams at least once and Columbus twice, plus PIT and CBJ back-to-back to end the season. :stonk:

Yeah, the Leafs' home stretch is rough, but it's not great for Tampa or NYI either. Tampa's got a decently tough schedule, and while NYI has an easier set of teams, they're playing almost entirely on the road and have three back-to-backs.

e: Toronto also has a game in hand.

Gonna be a real limp to the finish.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 20, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Is Brad Marchand good now?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Leafs-Bruins might be the best game I've seen this season, and even better the right team won.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Gotta admit the leafs are pretty likable rn

Please kindly take the time to, in the words of sensational and appropriately-titled hockey movie Goon, use your big boy words.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

it's seriously funny to see leafs fans say that was "the best game all season" since that was like...a regular rear end hockey game. i'm glad you guys have a not-lovely team now.

Actually that was a kick rear end intense regular season game between two teams fighting for playoff positioning. They haven't had any regular season games like that since the "can the offence be better than Raycroft/Toskala is bad" era.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I will never understand how anyone could be satisfied with ties as an outcome of a competitive sporting event

Because it is more fairly reflective of the teams' relative ability than the same game with a coinflip at the end to assign an extra point.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Do they think that's too high?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

mennoknight posted:

You think a mennonite would pay for two accounts in 2 here???

I mean you're already using electricity so expectations are already out the window.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

Don't forget Eberle and RNH, both going to the playoffs for the first time in their 7/6 year careers. Yakupov gets to go too with the Blues.

In fact, now, there is only one #1 draft pick since 2000 who's never been to the playoffs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/taylor-hall-jealous-wont-root-oilers-playoffs/

How the hell is Taylor Hall giving an interview this interesting and articulate?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

grack posted:

I think Zaitsev is a top pairing D for Toronto with Reilly?

He plays on the top pair, but that has to be understood in the way that teams these days tend to split their 1 and 2 D, and for Toronto those two are clearly Rielly and Gardiner. Zaitsev is fine as a defenceman -- even possession in fairly tough minutes while producing on the powerplay -- so 4.5 million a year is fine short term, but 7 years makes me uncomfortable.

A Typical Goon posted:

Toronto doesn't have a top pairing D

Jake Gardiner, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It's April

• Locked thread