Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

I think it would be cool if the NHL moved towards an NBA-style of rivalry where it's dudes competing with each other to try to be the best there ever was, and the really meaty stuff coming from the friendships that fall apart in pursuit of this*. unfortunately a lot of this hinges on the players having personalities and it would take fiddy years to get us there with hockey, plus it's easier for that to develop in a game with shorter rosters. I guess really that this is a bad idea that is ill suited for the NHL, however it's a cool dream world I am imagining where my sport is popular. we get a bit of it with Crosby but that's about it as far as I can think

*extremely casual NBA viewer

This is happening right now.

For example, though they are offseason friends, scruff bearded robot Sidney Crosby is trying to prove he's better than Brad Marchand, who carried him through the World Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Our team only has 2 hall of famers and an all star right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Turdsdown Tom posted:

just watched BOS-CGY after missing it last night and Jesus loving Christ, Khudobin is such a bad backup that it makes my eyes bleed to watch.

Yeah it feels dumb to complain about a 4-2 win with an ENG on top of it, but both of those goals were real bad.

If anyone ever tries to argue +/- is a good stat show them how 5 guys on the ice got a minus for that second one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Goal should have counted though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/Matt_Beleskey/status/842627782022709248

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Too bad he wasn't un-alive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Game counts aren't even, the Metro only looks so good because they get to play the Atlantic and the bottom half of the Metro so much more.

If everyone played NYI 82 times a year we'd have the real facts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can we at least admit what you really want is an easier path to the finals?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Rangers are infinitely more boring to watch than Ottawa or Montreal.

The system works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hot take: Same thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

heeheex2 posted:

Crosby just hit #40 against the cats ( :( ) with a hat trick. He could hit 50!

Buffalo, Islanders, Carolina, Jersey.

It's possible just off those 4 if he goes goalless in the rest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

He was here when they were hot earlier this year.

Yeah but he was doomsaying even then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Charlie McAvoy and Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson are both expected to turn pro after the NCAA season ends. McAvoy is definitely good enough to play on the Bruins right now. Not as sure about JFK but he's a really interesting prospect too.

If Tampa Bay makes the last wild card spot it would not surprise me in the least to see them run the Eastern Conference and make it to the finals again.

I remember seeing on NESN JFK had the majority of his 13 goals this year in like one week of games in January. Without that his stats aren't that impressive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it's one player and like your 9th or 10th best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope he owns the Oilers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The alt right team.

'Cause the refs can nazi all their cheating.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 21, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think coffee but everyone says that McDonalds is surprisingly the best you can get in a drivethrough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also if a 40 point ceiling guy having a down year is a big negative for your team, that's another big negative.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But good for America.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powershift posted:

Boston only has 9 games left to the islander's 10, is only up by 2 points, and is 3 games into a losing streak. Are they even going to make the playoffs?

The Islanders? No.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Likely followed by a lose-lose-lose-lose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Wait, TOR - CBJ was a Tim Peel game?

Now that lovely, awful officiating makes sense.

It was already a Toronto game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Try to iron your pants for this one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, no, yes but only like 3 teams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Did he get fined for that nut-shot or did the league just ignore that?

Am I allowed to just post lol here?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

That play happens a million times a game. Crosby happened to get him in just the right spot.

Intent doesn't matter only result.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I accidentally chopped his hand on purpose officer Commissioner.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gary's not in DOPS, that was a personal phone call during intermission.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whole league just missing fingers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Marc Methot shouldn't be such a soft Canuck baby and just do what that true European Henrik Sedin did and have his fingertip amputated.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/henrik-sedin-loses-finger-tip/article747269/

So if you see their hands you can tell the difference?

Chad Sexington posted:

Ovi chops guys' hands on the backcheck all the time. Of course, he also gets called for it constantly, but still. It just seems like a freak thing that that slash happened to do that much damage.

Of course it is but guys get in trouble for good hits that cause freak injuries too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Henrik has actually taken to wearing a single black glove off the ice to hide the disfigurement, so that's how you'd know.

Oh! I saw this one before. Cool ending, Brad Marchand ends up drowning himself nightly in water tanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't a guy it was Kronwall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jovial Cow posted:

Maybe this should be a bit like a high sticking double minor. Sure if you slash the guy maybe it's nothing but if you explode his finger maybe you should sit a game.

Then players will exploit the rules and explode their own fingers on minor slashes to knock someone else out for the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

Dzingel and Wingels are finally linemates, and it had better be Bob Cole announcing tonight

Is this a duo battle or just 1 Pokemon at a time?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McDavid has more assists so he should win the Hart because that makes him a better team player.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah and I think Sid was consistently #1 in primary assists too but all people ever bitched about was the secondaries. Thing is when you get a ton of assists because you own you tend to get a lot of both kinds.

Unless you're Karlsson who is bad and garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First one is technically a crosscheck, and when's the last time you saw a crosscheck called?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With all those vanity positions with the team there's just no space for unessential things like doctors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's known as Corkscrew 450ing the Bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

The whole CBJ team except Hartnell, Johansen, and Savard died in 2014-15 and all they got the year before were two wins against the Pens in round 1. I feel cheated.

Another Jack Adams, a likely Vezina goalie, a potential Calder winner if Matthews and Laine didn't exist this season, and what would be a franchise-first series win against a team he doesn't (and much of the fanbase is rapidly growing to not) like, all with the team he's paid to run which everyone projected to be a last-place trainwreck? Maybe not :smug:-worthy, but I...think that would wash out the flameout in Gary Bettman's Olympic Diversion Cashgrab Tournament.

The Jack Adams is for bad coaches.

• Locked thread