Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Infinitum posted:

* Owned by Microsoft + most of the creative team left (to make Yooka Laylee)

Time for them to make BattleSharks then or BattleMice from Mars....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Guys, I'm sorry and I feel really bad about it, but I ordered a bundle from Gamestop. In my defense, it's the $490 one that has BotW, the Guide and Season Pass for it, all things I would buy anyways, and it also comes with a travel case that won't be used for it's intended purpose, but my daughter will probably fill it with shopkins or something. The headset will probably sit on a shelf until Nintendo gets off their loving rear end AND MAKES A NEW MONSTER HUNTER CONSOLE GAME.

So all in all, they only downside is that I'm supporting the war criminals at Gamestop.

Sometimes we must make deals with the devil... at least they have small profit margins on new stuff, especially consoles (though they get more from the bundles with those accessories since those have higher markups and they magically have stock for those but not for console only).

I have $5 worth of rewards after getting my NES Classic Edition and Switch from them. So gonna drop that on Has Been Heroes and hopefully never deal with them again after they screwed a relative of mine on one of the worst days of their life when they needed to come home and relax to Zelda to occupy their minds and had to wait a week because Gamestop decided not to ship their Switch on time (didnt give it to UPS even though they made a tracking number and everything). Not getting a switch on time isn't a huge deal in the long run, but when you have a top worst day of your life and need some escapism... gently caress Gamestop

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Even though those pro controllers are fake (I'd hope nintendo would add more color to them than just that center piece), people are going to make shells for them, so just swap them yourself. I saw "The Curious Consumer" youtube vid where he took one apart and swapped the d-pad and analog stick domes for those magnetic swappable Xbox Elite controller ones so he could swap between a dpad and thumbpad. Looked easy enough to break down and put back together.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My wired connection is having issues. I just swapped my adapter over from the Wii U and now it's telling me that there's a connection, but I can't get into the eShop. I can post screenshots to twitter, but that's it.

Was it working before, or did you just try it out for the first time? I am using the same cheap lan adapter that I used on the WiiU and haven't had issues yet, luckily. Will see how things are when real multiplayer and online play is available.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

liking Splatoon 2 so far. My biggest complaint is that resetting my camera doesn't alway reset the Y axis and I sometimes gets stuck holding at weird positions and I can't recline in handheld mode like I was hoping since I just got a new computer chair that is comfortable on my back

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I wanna play but I keep getting error 2124-5200. With no other games or eshop, just this one.

that happened to me and I was immediately put into a battle when I rejoined

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, when you hit camera reset without joycons attached, it resets the y axis. When in handheld mode it doesn't, so you have to hold it so it leans forward and you can't sit back in a chair. WTF? They better fix that before release.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

deadwing posted:

I'm not leaving the lobby ever, just going to dedicate each test fire to a different weapon :v:

same with everyone saying they are having errors

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I played another game after 12 but cut me off when the lobby for the game after that was full and looked like it was about to start a game at 12:07

It has been awhile since I played Splatoon 1, do the roller people have more health? I will use the dualies' special weapon (the rocket pack thing) and I can 1shot everyone but the roller people can take 3+ shots without dying.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

So, I am looking forward to Splatoon 2, just hope I don't burn out on it like I did Splatoon 1 after 2-3 months. Also looking forward to MK8, Rime, Shakedown: Hawaii, and that Mr Shifty looks like an interesting Hotline Miami clone.

Lemming posted:

I agree adding more controller remapping is a big miss generally in Nintendo games, I don't see any good reason not to include more options

Ya, like resetting the camera's y-axis in handheld mode like you can with the controllers detached so you can play in bed or reclining in a chair. Ok, my 3rd time complaining about it will be my last.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Lemming posted:

I read this before and specifically tried it out, pressing y in handheld mode definitely changed the y axis for me. Maybe there was something else up but I imagine it should still work

hmm, weird. Hopefully I can catch another session this weekend and try it out again, but I tried multiple times and couldn't get the y-axis to recenter in handheld mode when leaning back in a chair, it would only center the x-axis so i had to sit up and look down a bit. however, if I took the joycons off and put them in my grip, the y-axis reentered no problem.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

InFlames235 posted:

Hey goons! In about a month I'm going to be traveling to Italy and bringing my Switch for the flights (obviously not gonna be using it on gondola rides). I'll likely want to charge it, though, before the flight back in which case I'll need to use an adapter. Any known issues with using a European adapter on the 120V AC charging cable?

Make sure the power supply can handle the higher voltage and 50hz (some do, some don't). Those 7 euro adapters don't step down power but just adapt the actual plug. I had some hotels in Italy have the option to switch between 120 and 230v. If the NA version of the Switch charger doesn't handle 230v, an easy thing to do would be just get a power bank/battery to charge the Switch, and you can just use your iPhone or whatever charger to charge the power bank since most of those accept both 120 and 230v.

Italy is amazing, especially Venice. Enjoy!

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 25, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Stux posted:

im talking about people who spend a serious amount of time on console fps and probably turn off aim assist anyway (its actually a hindrance once you have a hell of a lot of practice on sticks!)

I'm with Stux on this, people can crank the sensitivity up and get pretty accurate with analog sticks. Especially considering this game isn't as precise as other games that use actual bullets. The paint kinda splats out and covers a bigger surface area unless you are "sniping" (can't remember the name of the gun from Splatoon 1).

I'll stick with gyro myself on Splatoon 2, but I didn't use gyro on Splatoon 1 and didn't have issues competitively.

No need to attack Stux on this comment.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I'm gone for 40 pages and come back to 3+ pages of people arguing about piracy and emulation. Yikes.

So what is the verdict on Has Been Heroes? Anyone disappointed with their purchase?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Stux posted:

i guess this doesnt apply to the switch really, but another really good way nintendo could clamp down on piracy through emulation of their other systems is by porting the VC to pc. that way they could offer an affordable alternative the same way some genesis games etc have gotten steam ports, which would also bring them in some money. its a two for one! thoughts?

It may be good for them just to get more software out there. However, I don't see them making the same collections for the prices Sega sells theirs for. Nintendo would rather just keep it on a device you have to buy from them for prices they set. $5/NES game rather than $14.99 for 10 NES games like Sega steam collections or whatever.

Moop Moop posted:

I picked it up and have enjoyed it for the couple of hours I have played. It is basically a turn based strategy roguelike where you have to decide how best to use each attack and spell from your three heroes as you roam around a map and get your poo poo pushed in.

The game is definitely difficult but the first two patches have focused on nerfing enemies and better in game tutorials. It's a niche game but if you don't mind games that border on unfair and turn based combat I would recommend it. I look forward to playing more and hopefully beating the second boss...

Ah ok, will keep an eye out on more videos. Was between getting that and waiting for Rime using my Gamestop power rewards points and I ended up pre-ordering Rime instead.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Emron posted:

lol it's gone already

glad to see they have pro controllers in stock at least. Get them people!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Yep, I moved to the suburbs, so most things around me were built up in the last 15 years. So ordering from Amazon doesn't rob a local mom & pop operation of money. I make use on Prime for pretty much everything other than food. Why spend $20 on something at Target when I can probably get it from Amazon for $15 and get it a day or two later, if it was the same price I would go to Target to help employ someone locally, but not going to spend more money if I don't need it immediately. Add in streaming service, video game discounts and unlimited cloud storage for photos and Prime is worth the $100/yr to me.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I'm at 85 hours in Zelda and still only 1/4 way through the main quest, 64 shrines, 120 seeds, etc. I'm dragging it out as long as I can, maybe I will beat it before MK8 comes out. Maybe.

Bloodplay it again posted:

I purchased this Switch case from Target for $10 less than Amazon (they finally dropped the price to match Target). Even in the event it was cheaper at Amazon, Target price matches Amazon and you don't have to wait for any shipping at all. Some B&M stores also have promotions that Amazon doesn't touch. I'm not wealthy enough to own Dash buttons. I have spent thousands of dollars with Amazon over the years so it isn't like I'm not aware of what you get out of it. Unless it's just :effort:, everyone price matches and tax is the same. I'd much rather stop at Target or Best Buy and get it in ~10 minutes for the same price. I just happen to live in an area now where there are alternatives to Amazon and Prime is no longer a value for me. I appreciate everyone's civil discussion about this because I don't think I've recently seen discussion on any topic not turn into a complete shitfest after a few posts. Sorry to anyone who saw a lot of new posts thinking something cool happened with the Switch. I'm gonna shut up about Amazon now.

Ya, I hear that. I did try to just shop locally this year for xmas, ended up having to go to Amazon anyway for a few things (6 different stores didn't have the loving Grinch blu ray) so I should have just done that from the get go. I haven't done price matching in years because I used to do it and hated going through the process of making sure it is in stock locally (for B&M stores) or is sold by first party (for online retailers like Amazon that allow third party sellers). I just hate going into stores now too I guess, haha. Even when I was only 15 minutes outside of DC (live an hour away now), everything was either out of stock or more expensive locally (since I don't bother with price matching).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Spacebump posted:

If this system got the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection from the 360, I'd buy it day 1.

games included
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
Shining Force II: The Ancient Seal
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies Island
Sonic Spinball
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Unlockable
Alien Syndrome (arcade)
Altered Beast (arcade)
Congo Bongo (arcade) (under original title "Tip Top" in some regions)
Fantasy Zone (arcade)
Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System)
Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
Shinobi (arcade)
Space Harrier (arcade)
Zaxxon (arcade)

I think I have a similar one on Steam, but not sure that it had that many games. I mainly got it for Phantasy Star games so didnt really pay attention to the others.

That would be nice for a similar one from Nintendo. Who knows, maybe since they did the $2/game pricing on the NES Classic Edition, they would do a 30 game bundle for $60 on the Switch and could save even more without the extra hardware. However, I have a feeling they won't. Heck, they won't even let you keep the monthly NES/SNES game with the online subscription.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat it in 30 with numbers like that and all main quests completed. Feel bad.

haha ya, I spend the majority of my time just running around and climbing and doing the pointless side quests for 20 rupees or whatever

Vikar Jerome posted:

My biggest regret is buying a grey switch instead of a neon.

Ya, I regretted it at first. Though I got a set of the red joycons and have a gray Left and red Right joycon on my Switch, and keep the other two in those mini controller grips for some Snipperclip (and future mario kart) action. Kinda like my gray/red look.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Does the new Battle Mode actually have online play? They haven't mentioned that in any of its promotional material so I'm wondering if that's just a local thing

I believe it will have some ad hoc online play until they roll out the official online, at least I thought I read that somewhere. May just be random races like Fast RMX did or like the Splatoon 2 test, and maybe the ability to create rooms for friends once official online is available?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Speaking of April fools... check out Google Maps.

I got the best April fools joke from Nintendo, I got my Happy Birthday email from them since it is later this month. 30% coupon off of a digital game, my eyes lit up, I thought of how I could cancel my Amazon pre-order of MK8 and just go digital and save an extra 10% since that is a game I would like digital anyway since it will always be played and I hate switching carts. Clicked on the link for the coupon, available on 14 select titles only. Had all of the games they listed except some Pokemon Dungeon game , Mario Puzzle&Dragons and Stretchmo or something, so went with Puzzle&Dragons...

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

How many of these "April Fools" jokes are really just them testing potential demand with the opportunity to go "just kidding!!!" if there isn't any?

like that Hyperkin gameboy attachment for phones

Vikar Jerome posted:

this years april fools is really terrible.

full of poo poo like this. i would buy all those games.

All of those games would sell great if they released them in the next 6 months

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I jus got a DS rumble pak and was playing some Elite Beat Agents, the rumble actually worked well and especially on the left-right movements where you drag that ball. Made me think of the HD rumble in the Switch and how it would be cool to bring back that game somehow. Use the gyros and IR camera instead of touch screen, you'd just have to play tabletop or docked with the right joycon.

chaleski posted:

The PS4 is cool and good, but I think it's main competition being a wet fart makes it look better in comparison

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you have a PS4 Pro, maybe. I bought my PS4 in January of 2016. :\ I'm just glad Ni No Kuni 2 and Destiny 2 are coming out for PC because I'm giving my PS4 and games to my nieces/nephew this year as their Christmas present. I'm playing a bit of Yakuza 0 still and I have been playing Kingdom Heats 1.5 this week. Both of those games run at 60 FPS (except the KH cutscenes) so they're fine on the base PS4, but the other games I wanna play (like The Last Guardian) just run too poorly without a Pro.

I still like my launch PS4 a lot. If they release a special edition FF7remake one (I doubt they will), then I may go Pro. However, if they don't step up on exclusives I may go PC+Nintendo after this gen (I can wait a year on GTA games, and will have to see the FF PC port schedule), and Playstation has been my main console line since PS2 after the PS1 won me over with the boom in RPGs and my N64 really was a Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/OOT/Harvest Moon machine (didn't play Majoras Mask until years later, and didn't actually have Mario 64 or Mario Kart at that time...gasp, but I played both at friends' houses). My XB1 is a fancy blu ray player at this point, so not going to buy another xbox again.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 1, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Come again? You know I don't speak spanish... in english please

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 1, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I have all the Zelda amiibos and haven't scanned a single one in-game yet. I just buy them because Zelda is the only game I care to own trinkets for and Amiibos are cheaper than those $200 play action statues you see for Final Fantasy and other games. I mean, I do have a Shovel Knight Amiibo as well and will grab a Cloud whenever that gets released. Oh, I guess I do have one of those classic Mario ones I got for Mario Maker.... that was the only one I bought to use in games. The rest are just shelf candy.

I really don't want to scan them in-game until I am done and just want to play around. Feels like using a cheat code. Maybe when I do a second play through

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

zaepg posted:

Didn't see a general Nintendo topic, but I'm curious what Nintendos most durable console (bound to last a long time is). Wii U I figure would be pretty low on the list. I'm already seeing some GBA games have their battery run dry. I like to think disc based systems are more durable than cart based, but anything with a disc reader can tend to fail as well

batteries are pretty easy to swap if you know how to solder (very basic soldering too). If you don't want to lose your save, then you need something like a Retron5 or other device to download your save files, swap the battery and reupload them. There are other ways of attaching a temporary battery as well. However, if you let the cart's battery completely die to begin with, that is a moot point anyway.

I'd go with any cart based console over disc for durability since there are no mechanical parts. GBA's are more susceptible to batteries dying because of games like Pokemon that used real time clocks. My original Zelda (NES) still has my saves from childhood on it. Well, one of my games that I played through twice got erased magically, I thought it was a battery issue but my 2 sisters' saves were fine.. so I think it just got sabotaged... I've only had 2 games with dead batteries, a NES cart (can't remember which) and a GBA cart that I bought with a dead battery for cheaper since I was going to swap it out myself.

That said, In another 20 years, I see NES/SNES/N64's still working (with battery swaps in the carts), however, who knows how things like the Switch will hold up. I assume a lot more will get broken/scratched up from use and people screwing up battery swaps and frying them or something. And sadly more and more GC/Wii/WiiU disc drives will fail. So we will have to hope the mod scene stays strong where you can mod your GC, or just soft mod your Wii to play games from SD cards or hdd's.

Cardboard Box posted:

i got my wii a decade ago. it's dropped more than once and has spent the last several years in a box. i just dug it out and powered it on and it still works.

mine is starting to show graphical artifacts when playing Skyward Sword, but only have noticed it with that game (however they don't show up on my WiiU). So I think it may have heat issues with more intensive games, and that seems to be the consensus when doing some googling. Hoping it is just some funk with Skyward Sword though. I mean, it isn't a huge deal, I use my WiiU for Wii games now, and the Wii is just there i I want to play GC games in 480p on my HDTV (I keep my GC on my CRT tv until they release those plug n play HDMI/component adapters since I don't want to spend $200 on component cables).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 2, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

The Switch is good. It is better than a bone.
Amiibos are good. They are better than skylanders.
Nintendo is not good. They are like apple.
Iwata and Jobs are dead. This is where the similarities end.

I love my MacBook Pro and my Switch. Neither company is inherently good or bad. They are just companies, just happens that both are more stubborn than their competitors and are fine catering to more niche subsets of the market. Yet, both are flush with cash, sometimes in better spots than their competitors.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I have $20 in eshop monies waiting to be spent. So after I finally get around to beating Blaster Master, should I get Shantae Half Genie Hero or should I get Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap? I will definitely get both in due time, just which is a more "must play" to pick up first?

Thanks!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Imagined posted:

Wonderboy is very pretty, but the gameplay is untouched from the ball-crushing 80s original. They modernized the graphics but not the game. Shantae, however, is a pretty good modern platformer with a surprising amount of replay value and not very frustrating.

Thanks! Old school gameplay won't frustrate me, since that is what I grew up playing. I enjoyed Shantae and The Pirate's curse a lot, so definitely plan to play it either way even if I got Wonderboy first.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd say both are roughly equivalent. Wonderboy has more archaic design which can annoy some, while Shantae has more backtracking and collecting which can bother some. $20 won't be enough if you have sales tax for either, they're both $20 before tax.

If you're enjoying Blaster Master I would recommend Mighty Gunvolt Burst (same company, a Mega Man like game that's actually good) and Kamiko(a very short Zelda/hyper light drifter type game). That would total to $15 before tax

I don't mind adding a few bucks to cover taxes. I didn't mind the amount of backtracking in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse since the levels weren't huge. So if Half Genie Hero is similar in size, it won't bother me. And archaic designs were all that we had growing up, so I am fine that too.

Kamiko sounds interesting too. Thanks!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I always figured people in the NA said "Super Nintendo" or S.N.E.S. and those in the UK/Australia said "Sness". An American accent saying "Sness" doesn't sound good, but a UK or Aussie accent can pull it off.

I'm weird though and may be way off.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

EpicNemesis posted:

I'm starting to worry that this eshop is not just a place holder. It's a tragedy after how amazing the Wii U eshop was. I need the music. I live for the music. Give me the music.

I hate when I click on a link in the News section and it takes me to the eshop, but it only lists the game that the news blurb was about, and there is no way to go to the normal eshop without backing all the way out back to the home screen and clicking on eshop. If I was already in the eshop, why not let me go to the main page?

So I hope it isn't.

Also, I type eshop 4 times and it wasn't until the 5th time that it didn't auto-correct it to "shop". Stupid computer.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

IF anyone in the US is looking for Champion Amiibo to go with their Zelda experience, pre-orders went up on Best Buy at 3:30pm on 7/6

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Kidding aside, I want a post-Ganon DLC with Link and Zelda, but I don't know what it'd really be.

building up the town collection quests like earlier in the game. Build up all the ruins of the towns and farms. Going to each domain and wiping out any straggler enemies and doing something to help the domain rebuild/flourish. Maybe something to honor each champion.

Maybe a quest where you play as Zelda.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Been playing Snake Pass since I beat Blaster Master Zero and it was on sale the other week. I did not know that snakes were rear wheel drive with front wheel steering and a droopy spaghetti middle.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

JetpackHowwy posted:

This is a long shot, but I was wondering if I could plug an ethernet cable from my Switch to my cable box for a wired connection?

You can from the Switch dock to your router if you get a USB ethernet adapter (any generic one will work).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

JetpackHowwy posted:

Thanks but the router is downstairs from where I play my switch and trying to route it to there is something I want to avoid.

Ethernet over power adapters work pretty decently as well. I have my router on my main floor where my current gen consoles are. And use ethernet over power adapter as a lan line in my basement for my work computer as well as my gaming PC setup. I think you can get them for $40 or less these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

won't be unseen, thanks

• Locked thread