Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm getting one OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Is anyone else getting random friend requests from people?

Miitomo's hooks are deep

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

the game looks sparse and ugly compared to what I was playing last - Horizon on PS4 Pro.

I 100% don't understand this mindset. The only way I can parse this is "realistic = pretty, stylized = ugly"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's artistically beautiful, as I said. I appreciate it as an amazing looking game within the restrictions of the hardware. But it does not look like a current gen game on a 4K TV. Edges "shimmer" in movement, textures are low res, and with very little on screen compared to modern games.

This is the mindset I'm saying I don't get. The game flat out looks incredible. I agree there are visual artifacts present that could be improved if the hardware was better, but it really doesn't make much of a difference at all.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's the recommended Switch case? I want to take this thing out of the house.

Cradled in your arms like a baby

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

I'm going to see a friend way across town tomorrow which means 3 hours on the train that I will be enjoying playing Zelda. And seeing how much the battery takes/how good my 5Kwh 5v/2.4w charger does with this.

I got this power bank https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01422TC14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU2OC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and while playing the charge percentage stays about the same, if that helps give an indication of what you can expect

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I ordered a tri wing screwdriver and I'm gonna do the surgery to make my joycon better

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Not the Switch, the Hori premium protector is getting droopy from the heat of docked mode and falling off. Screen protector cant take the heat.

I got that one and mine hasn't drooped yet, but considering how many people that has happened to I did preemptively buy the glass ones

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I played BotW and now I think other games are stupid, help

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I soldered a wire in my left joycon like the YouTube man and it definitely feels much better, I don't get the delay while sitting back on my couch like before, and can play with it behind my back

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't want a pro controller I like the joycons

I might reconsider for Splatoon but probably not

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Everyone clamoring for a new Metroid Prime game seems to forget there was like one good Prime games and 2 and 3 were major slogs especially 2 while the two new donkey countries were ballin' and the second one improved every way on the first

Retro should be making a Chibi Robo sequel

Fight me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Managed to score one of these off Craigslist with almost no markup, then get a copy of Zelda at Best Buy and a pro controller from Amazon Prime Now. Zelda is very good.

The system was unplayable in TV mode without the pro controller, though. The left joycon would frequently become unresponsive, and periodically would de-sync entirely. Standing close to the console helped, but even that didn't entirely get rid of the problem. The pro controller works flawlessly in TV mode, and there's no issue with the joycon when it's connected to the tablet. Seems like a lot of people have had similar issues?

Mine wasn't that bad, but I still had problems with my left joycon. The antenna surgery seems to have fixed it tho

You might want to reach out to Nintendo directly

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

By antenna surgery, you mean like soldering a copper wire to the existing hardware to act as a better antenna? People do seem to say that works, but we lack the equipment and know-how for that. If you're referring to something less invasive, I'd be curious to hear more about it.

Reaching out to Nintendo seems like it may be the way to go, although I'm not sure what avenue to use for that, or what they're going to say other than "download the latest update and try not to put this box near any electronics despite the fact that it needs to be attached to a large electronic device via a 3-foot cord."

Yeah that's the one I meant.

As far as reaching out to them - it seems at some level (see the Reggie quote) they didn't run into that problem before, so it's possible it could be a large scale manufacturing defect and getting into contact with them might help them figure out what's going on, even if they might not be able to do much for you personally

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kawabata posted:

i bet you can be tricked into playing new games ez

Most new games these days aren't really new in any way so it would be difficult

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

parallelodad posted:

When you stop running there's like a third of a second where you can press jump and still get a running jump.

The distance you get is completely negligible though, there's no reason to in a game where you can climb everything.

I don't think this is totally true, there was at least one shrine early on where I'm pretty sure the only way to get an extra chest is with good run/jump/paraglide timing

And in any case you get a decent amount more distance from running and jumping. It's awkward but if you hold your thumb right you can do it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

I bid 400... And ONE PENNY!

This is a powerful move

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
ARMS when

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Truth. But I'm not wrong.

Part of what makes Splatoon good compared to other console shooters is you get to aim for yourself instead of the game doing it for you

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I hear a mouse can be quite good at that

The gyro bridges the gap pretty well, actually. You'll still be more capable with a mouse but the gyro makes it pretty 1:1 and it is nice to have a console's flexibility on top of it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Gyro is great in BotW, you can do snapshots and stuff with the bow aiming, and if you flail hard enough you can quickly break the dented metal boxes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

Gyro depends on what position your con is in when the motors kick in, right? My problem is tht I play with the controller in weird positions sometimes and so I get messed up and have to use the joystick while i reorient my JoyCon to be facing straight ahead, THEN when gyro starts up it works super great.

It should just be relative to whatever direction it's facing when you enter the aiming.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Aiming with an analog stick is fine. Dunno why people have problems with this.

It's objectively less precise, as evidenced by how every console shooter without motion controls requires some degree of aim assist and/or auto aim.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Earth Table posted:

what i don't get about the m+kb/joystick debate is that on either one you are , with few exceptions, playing with people who have the same control method. like, it's fine.

If everybody had to play with their feet it'd be a level playing field and I still wouldn't find it fun to play

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Earth Table posted:

but why would the foot fetish console players be a problem? if i had no issue playing titanfall with babby thumbsticks on my ps4 i dont think i got an "inferior" multiplayer experience.

They wouldn't be a problem from a game balance point of view, it's a problem from a "I want to shoot that guy in the head, but since I'm not using a 1:1 input aiming method I have to visually calibrate where I'm going to shoot, which is imprecise enough that the game needs to do the fine aiming for me, which I find less fun than using a more accurate input method"

If you find using joysticks fine (as many millions of people do) then that's fine too

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Earth Table posted:

So it's almost like this entire debate is stupid, then.

Like every other time it comes up..

The sticking point is generally when joystick preferers think that kbam people are saying they aren't allowed to like using joysticks and kbam preferers think that joystick people are saying they're equally precise and it's just about what you like better, then nobody can come to any agreement because everybody's arguing something different

The core is a misunderstanding I think and then naturally tribalism and elitism and all that pops out of it so it gets stupid real fast

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

Gods greatest aiming method is lightguns and you're a tool if you disagree

Actually it's VR hand tracked controllers

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

I miss light gun games more than most, and I don't think the switch could really make something like Time Crisis 1-3 work. No console really can, short of giving me an actual bright orangepink plastic gun in my hands that I wave like a jackass at my screen. Gyro aim with the joycons wouldn't come remotely close to GunCon Perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5C1Pk4qu0&t=153s

:pcgaming:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck VR.

I actually just use it for games and stuff

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would instantly buy an amiibo of the small guardian with 1 sword

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

No but you can check the ingredients of meals already made.

And take a screenshot of that!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

Ah yes, the Adults Only earthbound collection, at last.

There's a scene in mother 3 that could be interpreted as AO (though a stretch)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BambooEarpick posted:

So, legit questions. Does anyone have an idea of when more systems are going to hit? It's sold out in about a 2000 mile radius from where I am.

Nobody knows anything.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Give me ARMS Nintendo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

MK8 is the kinda game you want digital so it's always there.

That's every game, I only got Zelda cart because I want to have something in the cart slot + play it immediately when I got home from the midnight release

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

For the life of me I can't understand why that comic is some repeated joke that people think is funny. Is there some backstory to it that I'm missing? Otherwise, it's not good enough to be famous for being good, yet not bad enough to be famous for being bad. It's just there. And nerds for whatever reason think it's hilarious. Because "webcomic" lol amiright.

These loss edits are getting really abstract

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

beergod posted:

I want the stickers and instruction manual but also the convenience of having boi always available in the memory card

I'm torn goons

You don't really need the stickers

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Zelda's engine, Metroid's DNA.

Metroid DNA protects from the x parasite

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I bought Binding of Isaac, but have never played any of them, based solely on the "it's just the dungeons from 8-bit Zelda" sales pitch.

In other news I'm waiting on pins and needles for a whole new console cycle to go by without remastered Metroid Prime games with updated controls, let alone a NEW Metroid Prime game.

I can practically​ taste my extreme disappointment.

They already released Metroid Prime Trilogy. The Wii controls are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

I liked splatoon a lot but I also don't pretend it was a great bargain.

I also don't pretend the sun is hot

• Locked thread