Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

45 minutes until Switchmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Need help goons

Pro controller y/n
Zelda special edition y/n ?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Walmart hasn't even charged my card for the online preorder.

It's what caused me to say gently caress it and wait in line.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It
Is
Tiiiiime!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Have fun US goons

So

Game of the generation ?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Case from Zelda special edition is fantastic.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Zelda weirdly had the opposite effect for me - I have absolutely no desire to touch Horizon until I finish Zelda.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mdemone posted:

Okay goddamnit. I know BOTW is good.

But the acid test: is it better than Ocarina?

Yes. Yes it is.

It's the best Zelda game. Possibly the best game ever but I want to get further than 20 hours in to commit to that. So far, yeah, have never had this much fun in a game.

mdemone posted:

The former, for sure. Because that was the best they could do at the time.

The reality of playing OOT now isn't fair to it; our expectations have understandably taken leaps and bounds in the 20 years since. My question could be put better: "Is playing BOTW in 2017 better than playing OOT was in 1998?"

Yes, and I agree, the 1998 to 2017 comparison is the more accurate one. I am someone that has played and enjoyed all of the Zeldas but Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. I feel very strongly about declaring Breath of the Wild the best one.

Full disclosure: My favorite prior to this was not OoT, but LttP.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am one of the few who didn't get Splatoon despite owning a Wii U but I'm going to buy the gently caress out of Splatoon 2.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are we exchanging friend codes yet?

SW-0521-6048-6137

Add me goons!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Nintendo's official case? Place down the street seems to have one.

If it's anything like the BotW special edition one (and I think they are), excellent. 100% recommend it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why do people keep shortchanging the idea of playing games like BotW portably? That is a game changer that has literally never happened before. The ramp up from a 3DS or even a Vita is STAGGERING for a handheld.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

People with public transit commutes are the best people.

Because we can play the Switch while commuting. Sorry that you have to deal with traffic every day in your life, I get to complete shrines for 40 minutes.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Switch actually really owns. Haters are either A. Trolls, or B. Are unable to buy a Switch and are lashing out like a manchild.

Just ignore them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Utnayan posted:

C.) Wish Nintendo would pull their heads out of their rear end and either make a console that matches today's value consumer standards when compared to their competition, even if it is underpowered, or go 3rd party and wrap up the hardware business altogether.

You're never going to buy Mario and Zelda games on Steam for 10 dollars on a Steam Sale, stop deluding yourself.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Another thing that will never happen. You're being entirely unrealistic with your expectations.

Not to mention if Nintendo were to fail in the hardware business, it would mean huge layoffs and shifts. Whatever Mario / Zelda you got would likely be heavily bastardized by the time it went 3rd party.

This is a future you do not understand.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, Sega 3rd party post Dreamcast is exactly what I was referencing to. Sega pre crash and post crash were/are two entirely different companies. You don't have any unique or quirky games from them anymore.

RIP Jet Set Radio, you were too good for this world.

Not to mention Sonic. But sure, feel free to point to Sega as your example of it "working."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HyperPuma posted:

uh there are dozens of people in this thread jazzed about a new lovely sonic

And it's because fans of classic Sonic finally convinced Sega to stop loving it up and let the fans make it for them.

Why are you people making my points for me?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Keep in mind, our perspective as "hardcore gamers" is kind of... warped? Sonic has games coming out pretty much annually and a currently-airing TV series. It's a merchandising powerhouse. It's practically the definition of a successful franchise.

Those games being terrible has little impact on the process.

Sure, and I do agree with this point. However, he's selling it as "Now I get to play Mario and Zelda on 4k Scorpio!" or whatever.

Yeah, you get to play the Mario equivalent of Sonic Unleashed in 4k . That sounds...awful.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sir

I have played every Yakuza game but 0. I adore that series.

It's a bloody miracle that we even get that here. I cherish it.

However, it's definitely a unique shining spot on an otherwise bloody track record for Sega after the Dreamcast.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Utnayan posted:

I am not talking about 3rd party producing and Nintendo publishing. I am talking about Nintendo 1st party titles being developed in house (By Nintendo), developed for 3rd party Consoles.

And you don't think Nintendo failing to such an extent to no longer make hardware would have a...negative result on the quality of their products? There would be a mass exodus of talent at Nintendo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Becauase Nintendo still has a large bank of money stashed from their Wii success. What you're talking about is the end result of them going exponentially deeper in debt, far beyond what the Wii U could muster.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Calling the greatest game ever "good" is the biggest understatement.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Which Amiibo? I got Archer link and the guardian.

I am weak.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mahoning posted:

"I'm gonna take a 'wait and see' approach with this new console from Nintendo."

*Waits a week*

"WHY CAN'T I FIND A SWITCH ANYWHERE, JESUS CHRIST NINTENDO GET YOUR MANUFACTURING poo poo TOGETHER!"

I'd feel bad for these people if this didn't happen all the time with like every new popular video game thing. Especially NIntendo products.

I think they were secretly hoping it was another Wii U situation. I'm not sure people expected the Switch to be as popular as it is.

Still, I feel smug as gently caress about getting it on midnight.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

he1ixx posted:

same. I bought two, so its two eternity's worth.

That said, I did get some fish and a sweet bow which dulled the pain a little. On the flip side, I had a treasure chest bounce off of a wall on its way down from Amiiboland, into a fast-flowing river and watched as it was swept away into the depths which was a bummer.

That was totally the unique item you get from the Amiibo. Sorry, but you lost it forever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Mine says "85 hours or more" too

I don't know about the accuracy of this number

Sorry dude, but I've got bad news for you.

You're a goon.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My dude, why are you not ebaying your used games?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

To people who have played both, what's better, Horizon or Zelda?

Wondering if I should finally start Horizon or not, but can't stop the Zelda train.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

parallelodad posted:

Grew up so much you still made a post complaining about it.

you should probably get off his lawn

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean, maybe EDB is ok? But the screenshots on the eShop look like the most awful thing and I just can't justify spending the 4 dollars or whatever to play it.

Maybe EDB2 will be better.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

1. The cat in your avatar is adorable.
2. Blastermaster Zero is 100% a great game and great metroidvania. Play it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FireMrshlBill posted:

I'd really like a Skyward Sword HD release with remapped controls to get rid of the motion controls....

I'd give Skyward Sword another 100% honest shot if that were the case.

Otherwise, gently caress that game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I still really really want to play Skyrim on switch so maybe I'm broken.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What is the point given high resolution texture packs and mods on PC that aren't available elsewhere? The entire point of the game now is to look pretty and explore the same terrain and caves forever. I guess if you don't have a PC then you don't know what you're missing and it won't feel like a loss

Portable.

Duh.

Edit: My pie in the sky port that I'd want is Super Mario 3D World + Treasure Tracker for 60 bucks. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you have a significant other I think Snipperclips is a must buy. Wife and I had tremendous fun playing it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol. I read this post at neogaf and yet here, it just reeks of sarcasm.

We're an older group of nerds here, so we're a tad more jaded.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

When is that fantastic video game Mass Effect: Andromeda getting ported to the Switch?

Otherwise, no sale for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Also Blastermaster Zero's really good you should totally get that!

Fast RMX is kinda overrated, don't get that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought this was supposed to be a Wii U situation where I could go into a store and just buy one?

What the gently caress Nintendo! How dare you make a very popular children's toy!

• Locked thread