Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just wondered : How does 'the wild' breathe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's me, I'm the guy who prefers to spoil himself thoroughly before a big game.

Except for the music. The music I want to savour firsthand.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I am somewhat baffled that apparently Nintendo managed to miss out on the desync issue for so long. Did they not stress test the reception at all?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That honestly sounds kinda worrying about you. If it starts to happen with anything else I concur that seeing a doctor would be the right thing to do.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I got the chance to hold the thing in a games store, and let me just say that whoever designed the kickstand is a dum dum. The thing would tip over at the slightest nudge.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I'm very glad that Nintendo finally caught up to the rest of the other brands and made region free software. Sony's been doing it for like 12 years now, and Xbox got on board with the Xbox One, and Switch finally got on board with the concept and even made the eShop stores incredibly easy to access. Being able to jump to the Japanese eShop in about 2 A-button presses is phenomenally quick compared to signing out of my PSN account and logging in with the Japanese one then accessing the store, which takes a minute or two.

Hey Nintendo had region-free handhelds until the 3DS happened. They're just going back to form.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Yup, if I can do that I would be very happy. I've never kickstarted a game before - do they normally let you do that?

Fangamer should have given you an email with a link a while after the Kickstarter ended. You can edit your console preferences there although the Switch option is most likely not edited in yet.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Anidav posted:

Switch sold 313k in Japan for first week.

WiiU - 308k
Wii - 371k
PS4 - 322k

Switch was only on the market for 3 days in its first week. That's about 100k a day the first 3 days of its life.

I'm pretty sure that's always the case for 1st week sales on any VideoGame related stuff in Japan; they always release on Thursday.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Here is my hot take on some of the stuff that was being discussed:

Horizon Zero Dawn: Is complete poo poo because it is a game on a system that I do not own.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: See above.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Man Disgaea is officially deader than disco.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Is there something wrong with D5 Switch?

5K sales 1st week in Japan.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

VideoGames posted:

The Switch hasn't even been out for a quarter of a year and people are already wanting a new version.
RIP switch.

Well ultimately if you want JUST a handheld or a console the other bits you don't care about are irrelevant at best or a drag at worst.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Docking the Switch is for tossers.

You don't want to be a tosser, do you, guys?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

If the n2ds xl came out last year I would have gotten one for the game backlog, but it didn't and the switch is just plain better and gently caress taking two portables with me.

I have a suggestion:

Take the system that has the game you currently want to play

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Really, Nintendo should just merge the Switch and 3DS lines and release the 2DSwitch XL (Compact Version) that will sell out everywhere forever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

It's gonna be GOTY and all the losers who sold their Wii U will rue the day

A dozen green lights, all labelled 'Port _____ from Wii U to Switch', just began flashing in Ninty HQ the moment the MK8DX first day sales numbers rolled in anyway soooo

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

well why not posted:

haha yeah if only there was a way to plug in to a tv comma get out

just lol if you use the Switch dock ever

except maybe like as a paperweight or something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah lol if you want to play video games on a tv I guess :confused:

handheld gaming über alles, mon ami

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Even being a leader does t mean your successful. That's why Disney left. They sold the most but not enough to recoup their costs. Which is also why Nintendo has slowed down on the Amibo game and even had to give them away for free with games to try to spark interest.

I always figured selling franchised plastic doodads would be an easy ticket to big money and I thought a lot of shows were basically extended adverts for the toys they sold related to it.

Guess it doesn't work so well in the videogame sphere?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Luigi is the superior bro.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

I've never bought a microsoft console.

Well that makes your defense of Microsoft even weirder.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hear they're making a Pokemon TCG app and if that turns out to be true I will be all over that and will most likely end up spending shameful amounts of money on that poo poo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm pretty sure they already have a pokemon tcg mobile app. It's the same as the desktop version.

edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pokemon.pokemontcg&hl=en

How did I miss this until now

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Devoyniche posted:

TL;DR: Basically Im asking if people think the Switch will do well, and this being hard to find is kinda like the Wii being hard to find (Wal Mart is selling Switch consoles at ebay prices, $499 according to their website), or is this "new console excitement", and it will eventually die down and the Switch will fall off? But certainly it's doing better than the Wii U, right? I didnt bother to check because I didnt want a Wii U but were they still this annoying to find a few months after launch? They werent moving that many units that they were selling out week after week just 2 months after launch were they?

Unless Nintendo completely pratfalls on their face the Switch will do well. It's a Nintendo handheld with incredibly convenient TV-out, and with their entire software development pipeline unified into a single system. Meanwhile in Japan it's going to inherit all the 3rd party efforts that the 3DS and the Vita had in the West it's already getting a lot of indie love plus whatever scraps the big Western 3rd parties will throw it. Whether it's a 3DS or Wii level performance is the real question (I don't think it'll ever do DS or PS2 numbers though, but I'd love to be proven wrong).

As for the Wii U you could find those things everywhere after the launch month. I believe in Europe their shipment numbers were at one point negative because retailers were refusing to accept new orders and in fact sending back surplus stock.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

3DS/2DS still needs to exist as Nintendo's budget option. USD 300 is most likely still causing some people to shrug and wait on getting the Switch. (Like me)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Assholes are going to try to scalp those boxes as consoles and gullible dupes are going to buy them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Kill the 3DS

Port everything to the Switch

How they gonna port Etrian Odyssey tho'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Because the tall impossibly beautiful blonde in a skintight bodysuit would never be associated with gratuitous fanservice, no sir.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Andrast posted:

I see you like strategy games where map design is nonexistent and maps are either featureless plains or giant chokepoints.

(The game is alright)

I wish the maps were featureless.

gently caress deserts. gently caress swamps. gently caress them both forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

In the interests of fairness the rest of that NeoGAF thread is either mocking or completely ignoring that particular 'I will not "calm down"' goober. (Why is 'calm down' in quotation marks?)

• Locked thread