Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Bombadilillo posted:

Zelda sales and Switch sales have to be drat near 1:1 right?

For comparison, Twilight Princess sold 412K copies to 476K Wii systems sold during November 2006 North American launch of the system. Wii Sports was stronger in Japan where it was not bundled with every system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
If anyone is curious about launch sales of the Switch:

Note: It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparisons to launch weeks of other consoles since initial shipment size, shortages, and tracked days differs from launch to launch.

- Japan: 330K during launch week in line with Vita and PS4. PS2 holds record with 630K.
- North America: Interview with Reggie - "Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii."
- UK: 80K sold through the weekend. Double the sales of Wii U but below Wii and 3DS
- Germany: "Best launch of a Nintendo console in Germany"
- Portugal: "Best launch of a Nintendo console in Portugal"
- Italy: "Best launch of a Nintendo console in Italy"
- France: 105K sold. Best launch of any console in France's history. Attractive yet overly optimistic head of Nintendo of France was proven right.
- Spain: 45K Sold. 50K shipped. Best console launch in Spain's history

It's sold out in several regions. Breath of the Wild has a extremely high attach rate everywhere except in Japan. 1-2 Switch is typically the next best selling game.

Nintendo is performing much stronger in Europe. They've typically struggled in that region either due to a lack of appealing titles or poor distribution. France is the exception to this. Nintendo has been the #1 publisher in France for the past few years over the likes of EA and Ubisoft.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm personally jazzed about playing MK8 and Splatoon. Missed out on both during the U era. I doubt we're gonna see many bundles until holiday though.

I'm talking about the functionality, not games. The most important thing for them is to show why this platform is different so that when some kid's favorite IP does eventually come out, they'll want the Switch so they can take it in the car with them and do multiplayer or whatever.

Nintendo is the most successful console publisher with children followed by Activision, Ubisoft, EA, and then Microsoft. It's why publishers with products targeting very young children, such as Skylanders, tend to collaborate with Nintendo. It's a very lucrative and under-served demographic for publishers but they have a hard time cracking it.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Well MK8 sold nearly double that of Mario 3D World. So I think that would appeal to the non-nerds more than Odyssey. Zelda would as well.

Splatoon has sold more units than Drive Club, Killzone Shadowfall, Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox 1 + Windows), Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, and Bloodbourne worldwide. In Japan, it has outsold every non-Nintendo home console game, including Yakuza 0 (PS3+PS4), Resident Evil 7, Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain (PS3+PS4), Tales of Zestiria (PS3+PS4), Dark Souls 3, Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3+PS4), and Final Fantasy XV.

Splatoon had a truncated development cycle since Nintendo wanted it out by Summer of 2015. Let's see what the sequel can do.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

RME posted:

is anyone from the Metroid Prime team left at retro

From the original Metroid Prime from 2002? It's mainly the art team and a few producers that have stayed at the developer. Most of the Metroid Prime 3 Corruption team worked on Tropical Freeze.

The Texas Triangle is a hot spot for game development so people tend to move around since many companies actively poach for talent.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So on a scale of one to ten how doomed is Nintendo now?

906K units is more than what the Wii U sold in November 2012 and December 2012 put together. The previous March console sales record was set by the Wii (721K) in March 2008 with the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

So twice as doomed as the Wii U.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

xedo posted:

People also might have bought Zelda while there was a 20% launch discount from amazon prime/best buy club in anticipation of a switch this year. It's likely the best price we'll see for a long time for new copies. I would have done that myself if I wasn't going to get digital.

Has any other game ever hit (or, apparently, exceeded) 100% attach for a console for any period of time? I would imagine Mario 64 got drat close when the N64 launched. I mean, did anybody buy that console solely due to their intense love of launch day Pilotwings?

In Japan, Super Mario 64 had a 100%+ attach rate with the Nintendo 64 for the first few weeks of tracking. In North America, the Wii version of Twilight Princess had a 86% attach rate with the Wii in 2006 (November 2006 + December 2006). In Japan, Wii Sports was sold separately from the Wii system and had an attach rate of 57% after five weeks. Halo 1 is said to have had a 50%~ attach rate with the Xbox by April 2002.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Bird Law posted:

Seems like releasing an SNES Mini during the Switch's first holiday season would cannibalize a lot of Switch sales, which is way more important in the long run than some one-time SNES Mini money.

This is Nintendo though, all bets are off.

Also make it able to connect to a VC for more games.

Make the SNES mini into a dock for the Switch. The Switch docks into the cartridge slot. Have the dock come with a download voucher for the SNES collection which you can redeem on the eShop.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tender Bender posted:

It depends if Nintendo are willing to dump a bunch of money on Capcom to get a system seller. They'd be dumb not to. Capcom on its own has no reason to develop a game on the Switch until the install base becomes much bigger.

Well, other than that Monster Hunter on 3DS is Capcom's sole breadwinner now that Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Lost Planet, Dead Rising have had their sales crater and Deep Down is vaporware. Capcom was very supportive of the 3DS during its launch and forged a strong partnership with Nintendo throughout the console's lifespan. They would've similarly benefited from being the big fish in small pond with the Switch's launch.

The company's shareholders will be out for blood in the coming weeks. Resident Evil 7, Dead Rising 4, and Monster Hunter XX will not meet their sales expectations. Umbrella Corps and Monster Hunter Stories didn't do well either. If Monster Hunter's problems go beyond these particular entries, then the company doesn't have anything else to fall back on. They'll be a boutique publisher with the cost base of a AAA publisher like Take2.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Infinitum posted:

Bomber DLC this Friday

https://twitter.com/bomberman573/status/854986710031024129

- General improvements
- Difficulty adjustment
- New stage

It looks as though they increased the framerate. Konami made out like bandits by having a game out for the Switch's launch. It's nice to see them support the game after its success.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has overtaken Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn as the best selling game so far in 2017 on Amazon US's top seller list.

This game is a monster.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

HyperPuma posted:

that list tracks like the sale velocity or some poo poo its not absolute numbers. any new game is going to shoot up the list

Kashuno posted:

Is that accurate? I haven't seen anywhere stating that's the case.

That was the yearly bestsellers list that tracked cumulative performance for the calendar year. This is the monthly best sellers list updated daily. This is the daily best sellers list that's updated hourly.

MK8D has overtaken the Switch version of Breath of the Wild as Amazon's best selling game for the year so far.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Anyone get minecraft? Is it good? I have no games, mk8 is old.

It's Phil approved:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/862683113675038720

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yo that splash screen at the end of Splatoon 2...did Callie join the Octarians?

She joined the whales. According to the American Museum of Natural History, they're the mortal enemies of squids.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm sure Capcom will try to reinvent Monster Hunter at some point and end up ruining another of their moneymakers.

On 4chan, a user leaked the name of Monster Hunter XX before the official announcement. In the post, it was also stated that Monster Hunter would be split into Monster Hunter 5 for the PS4 and Monster Hunter Portable for the Switch. MH5 on PS4 would be a streamlined game that would take after open world WRPGs. I can see Capcom try to chase the mass market with one of their last remaining breadwinners.

So you're probably right.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Frankston posted:

USF2 is averaging 67% on metacritic which sounds about right. I'll wait for it to come down in price before I get it.

It topped the Amazon sales charts (where you could get it with a discount with Prime) and now has a 2-5 week delivery. It seems to be having much better user reviews than when SFV came out. I'm very surprised at how well it's doing.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Kashuno posted:

How hilarious would it be if PS4 gets the trash movie spin-off and the Switch keeps the mainstream goodness

Or Capcom thinks a streamlined PS4 version of Monster Hunter is the future while the old school Switch version will hold fans over until Ninja Theory gives them the Shakespearean experience they deserve.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does that mean the Monster Hunter movie won't be set in the fantasy world of the Monster Hunter games?

That is such bullshit

The whole idea reminds me of a Korean movie called D-War.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

My God, it's full of stars!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Could you imagine if the next Castlevania was a Nintendo Switch exclusive? So much anger. Considering all the past 2-D Castlevania outside that online coop mashup for the 360 have been Nintendo handheld exclusives it wouldn't be unprecedented really...

Konami was one of the few publishers to take advantage of the Switch's launch and they were rewarded by selling over 500K copies of Super Bomberman R at $60. They seem to have very good relationship with Nintendo through Hudson and seem vocal of pushing other Konami brands.

Food for thought, Konami and Microsoft Game Studios are the most successful third party publishers on the Switch.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Wasn't MH popularity in Japan based partly around it's mobility? I really don't know if MHW will do amazingly since its western presence its highly niche and mostly Nintendo users and most japanese wont have the time to play at home and will just play XX.

If the decision to greenlight a AAA open world Mosnter Hunter game for the PS4 in 2013-2014, then it would've been made in a market where the Wii U had failed, the 3DS had limited growth, and the PS4 looked to be a huge success. At the time, the Switch's final specs were likely in flux and Nintendo was coming off the failure of the Wii U. It that context it would be reasonable to go for a breakout hit overseas rather than double down on a shrinking domestic market.

Of course, the reality of the situation is that the PS4 has had middling success in Japan, the Switch is sold out worldwide, and Capcom's Monster Hunter World will be competing against 10 different AAA co-op open world games by publishers with way more money than them.

It's why we love Capcom.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Kashuno posted:

All II want is the Nintendoflix thing that's replacing the Virtual Console to have at least 500 games and I'll be set.

If Nintendo can keep up one must buy game a month for the next couple years it'll be insane.

They've merged their console and handheld lines so their teams just have to support the Switch.

Millions posted:

With Nintendo's strategy of only showing off this year's games as E3, I wonder if we'll start seeing yearly big Directs in December/January to highlight what's in the pipeline for Q1/Q2. Although maybe TGS covers some of that?

Nintendo hasn't attended TGS since 2005. They'll probably have their own event or a fall direct.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's explicitly not the case at all. They're still putting out a lot of 3DS stuff. The reason their output is so much higher, Reggie has said, is because of a lot of expansion in game development over the last few years centered on the completion of a giant new building for software development in Kyoto and they've hired a lot of bodies to fill that building.

All of their 3DS games are outsourced to development partners. MercurySteam is working on Metroid. Hey! Pikmin is by Arzest. Indies Zero is working on Sushi Strikers with Nintendo's supervision. Grezzo is working on Ever Oasis. Partners like Hal Laboratories, Gamefreak, and Intelligent Systems have explicitly stated they are transitioning to the Switch.

Kashuno posted:

Pretty much; the Switch has had a great launch, but 3rd parties are pretty hesitant after the Wii U to jump in.

Meanwhile, at premiere gym company Konami.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Nintendo has begun using Unreal Engine 4 for internally developed games. If Metroid Prime 4 is being developed by a new team, then UE4 would be a good fit.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So apparently that one video Larry Bundy Jr. did about Miyamoto half a year ago caught on with a lot of people. Even though pretty much every point made in the video much debunked I've still seen people in the past few days wondering why those European guys who worked on Star Fox 2 are jazzed about it finally seeing an official release when they were never payed for it.

Because they were paid for it. Those, those five or so guys who were contracted to work on it got payed. They were payed twenty-years ago.

The only Argonauts employee with sour grapes about the cancellation was the founder, Jez San. He had the most to lose from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

Bayo 1+2 rerelease on Switch would probably be the most money the series would ever make

If any game deserved a a second lease on life it's Bayonetta 2. No idea how the gently caress people put Dragon Age Inquisition over that for GOTY in 2014

"Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros for Wii U, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are all great games in a year full of buggy, bland, and disappointing games... but are they enough to save the Wii U?"

• Locked thread