Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

No midnight Switches, so I'll probably have to fight another nerd for the amusement of Best Buy clerks tomorrow morning :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

sharrrk posted:

any word on bomberman yet? i want that to be good cuz i love a good bomberman, but i do not trust konami in the least
They didn't gently caress up the basic Bomberman gameplay, but they basically did the bare minimum to make a passable game.

"It's Bomberman but shouldn't cost $50" is the general consensus.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

murked by dragon posted:

its 5:45am and i am going to go buy this children's toy at a fucken walmart. i hope there isn't a huge line of similarly pathetic grown rear end adults waiting when i get there
I hope there is so I can feel slightly less shame

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Was there ever a battery discovered that could handle the Switch's wattage while on the go?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Something something memory card
hidden cooooosts :argh:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sun/Moon has a godawful interface that took everything awesome about X/Y's interface and replaced it with the Rotom which, while cute, is a terrible map with a massive "bezel" that eats up maybe half the lower screen's real estate. All other features, ones that used to be easily accessible via the touch screen, are now sequestered to the start menu.

A Switch port is the only explanation for such a horrible change. Losing the second screen is no big lose since the Rotom map sucks anyways, and everything else is accessed via Start like the old games. Unless game freak just decided to make the UI suck for laughs, it seems intentionally done to make a Switch port easier on them. I mean, a Switch port of Pokemon Sun/Moon and maybe Smash Deluxe would make for an amazing holiday line up alongside Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MysteriousStranger posted:

So yes when you smash it in drukenly? Also isn't dust one of the hardest things out there? Screen protectors exist to take a hit, not because they can't be damaged.
Dust isn't a uniform thing, it's just random and very tiny debris in the air. It can be anything from tiny bits of sand (can scratch a phone screen) to bits of human skin.

You're right that screen protectors will eventually get damaged, but tempered glass will last you longer than plastic and are less of a pain in the rear end to apply. This is especially true given the design of the dock, as plastic can scuff a plastic protector so you're better off in the long just using a glass one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Sonic and All Stars Transformed was still better.
Not gonna lie, I'd buy a Switch port of this. I doubt they'll add Mario as a character because oh no our Mario Kart sales, but if not him then Snipperclips.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Sometimes, a console is so bad that even amazing games won't get people to buy them.

I do find it funny however how Wii U owners continue to gush over it and try to convince people to buy it. It's like they are trying to convince themselves that they made a good purchase. I have no doubt that those Wii U games were, in fact, really good. But c'mon. Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.
I really like the Wii U's library, way more than the Wii's, but if you're not into Nintendo's stuff the system has very little to offer. Splatoon's a great game but if you like it and aren't a fan of much else on the system, then it becomes an extremely hard sell.

It wasn't the games that failed the Wii U, but the release of like 2-3 marquee titles a year. People aren't going to buy your system when big titles are spaced 6-8 months apart. I think Nintendo has learned their lesson and is at least getting indie devs on board early. The Switch also has the niche of being portable, so I hope that keeps it afloat since I don't buy that big list of third party devs anymore than when they did the same for the Wii U.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Sonic Mania at least looks like a sure bet. Sonic 2017 is a coinflip at best.
It's going to be based on Generations, the last Sonic Team game that you can call good, and they decided to delay the game a year rather than rush it out in time for the 25th anniversary (which is how we ended up with Sonic 2006).

So in theory it's more than likely to be good. But also be cautious about new Sonic games.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

Boy now I remember why I don't keep track of console threads. I like the switch and I'd like even more I could safely take it with me places. Any reason why this case would be bad? https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...rds=Switch+case
I bought it. It comes with two cases for carts, and has a little pouch that lays on top of the Switch. The pouch is very soft and has a fairly thick backing (I seriously thought some cardboard or packing material was stuffed in) so you don't have to worry about stuff inside creating angles to poke your screen. The pouch is a bit limited in size, however: you can fit in two wristraps and a charging cable. I doubt you could manage two more joycons and the wall adapter is not gonna happen.

The outside of the case is stiff and seems sturdy enough. It's a nice case even if it isn't the all-encompassing travel package. It strikes a balance "just bringing the switch" and "the Switch and everything but the dock."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Surprised I like the joycon grip so much. I still got a Pro because it's still a better controller and it's easier to switch when I don't have to mess with the joycons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The 3DS is six years old so this was as good as time as any to end the Wii U and 3DS and release something like the Switch. Like even the mega popular DS only lasted seven.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The gamepad had potential, but even Nintendo barely used the feature, which makes you wonder why they bothered in the first place. The switch incorporated and improved upon the major thing the gamepad was ultimately used for.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

koolkal posted:

And man, what games
Please don't disparage 2017 goty Snapperclaps

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad my Kid Icarus stand is finally getting some use.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So is Disgaea 5 the same as whatever version will release in NA?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd probably buy Overwatch on Switch

Overswitch

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Earth Table posted:

this is the truth.

would light gun style games work with the switch's gyro controls? the wii had a wealth of fun rear end arcade shooters.
The right joycon has an infrared thing which could double as a light gun?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd still like discounts on Deluxe games so Wii U owners who felt burned are encouraged to pick up the Switch. Something like "Hey, you registered these games on your Wii U account, so here's 50% off on Mario Kart and Smash Deluxe, thanks for supporting us in spite of our garbage fire system."

Not that this is going to happen. Not from the company that charges five dollars for the privilege of owning Super Mario Bros. on another system.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

How did Wii U owners get burned?
They should definitely be porting over as many Wii U titles as possible: it's an easy way to inflate the library with quality games that didn't sell as well as they could have due to the Wii U's poor sales. But it does seem like a poor idea to tell your more dedicated customers that they have to pay full price for a game they got three years ago. I dunno, the Switch seems to be doing fine so it likely won't be an issue.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm an idiot and managed to gently caress up applying both of my amFilm protectors. The first one was just a huge bubble in the center and I could not for the life of me get rid of, and the second somehow a piece of dust got caught and lifting it to clean left a corner unsticky and it looked real bad and was slowly growing.

I mean they're ten bucks on Amazon Prime so it's not a huge loss but I haven't messed with screen protectors since my old iPod Touch and forgot how incredibly bad I am at applying them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Milkman posted:

Did you let it rest overnight before loving with it? On glass protectors the air eventually works its way out
Nah, I probably should have done my homework

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If Metroid was like BotW it either wouldn't be Metroid or would be super annoying because 90% of the world would be initially closed off because you lack a screw attack or whatever. So it wouldn't really be like BotW.

Metroid has always been about exploring an area and seeing where you newest toys will let you go. Older Zeldas are kinda like that, yet far more linear.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I bought Binding of Isaac, but have never played any of them, based solely on the "it's just the dungeons from 8-bit Zelda" sales pitch.
You may be disappointed then.

While the game has the trappings of NES Zelda dungeons, the gameplay is more akin to a dual-stick shooter with a shitton of items that change your stats or affect how you play. It's still a fun game, but I think a number of people might feel cheated if they bought the game thinking it was a spiritual successor to Zelda 1.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macintosh HD posted:

And...I'm not into it. Everyone seems to love this game so I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

Is there some secret to getting into this game?
It's not for everyone. I wouldn't call it a must-have or anything, as you have to learn to roll with the punches.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How many GC games require the controller though?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A lot of Wii U games do have small, gimmicky pad functions. For example, Mario 3D World had platforms that would move when you blew into the mic or touched them. Nothing insurmountable, but also something that requires a bit of extra work.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I hope Arms gets a release date soon, because a AAA game between Zelda and Mario Kart would be cool.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People are already making DIY docks with 3D printers, so I assume a decent third party dock will come along soonish.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They'll let another Switch communicate with the Switch playing the game, and it'll act like a gamepad.

If you're a real Nintendo fan, you'll own two Switches :colbert:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

Isn't it spring now? Where's ARMS Nintendo!!
There's also several indies that were given March release dates that still have none. Either the devs wildly underestimated how long they'd take to finish, or Nintendo threw out some BS dates to give the impression of more games within the launch window.

But I really want Tumbleseed now, and Pocket Rumble also looks cool.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Second set of screen protectors came in. Took it slow this time and the result is significantly better. Not perfect, but it may smooth out with time.

Also I noticed my bezel has some scuffs from the dock. Nothing noticeable, as I had to actual put my Switch in direct light to notice them. But they're there, and I imagine it's because the way my Switch sits under my desk I was pulling it out at a slight angle given how low the scuffs are. I imagine with enough elbow grease I could buff them out but eh don't really care.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beergod posted:

Any new poo poo out this week?
No, but Snake Pass and Has-Been Heroes are out next week.

Tumbleseed and Pocket Rumble are also due this month, but they're likely to be pushed back.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just look up the Benson list or whatever it's called of good USB-C cables. Whenever you get a cable with a power bank, it's laughably short.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Norns posted:

I agree the menus and inventory are kinda crap.
This is almost assuredly because the game was supposed to be a Wii U title. Once the game had to be ported to the Switch, they dropped gamepad features to make it easier on development.

Like, the Sheikah Slate is definitely supposed to be a gamepad, and you can see how much better inventory would have been if you had access to your inventory on it. poo poo, maybe they axed gamepad features because it would have clearly made the Wii U version the definitive one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arms needs to come out soon so I can start training for EVO

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

So to talk about other games more and less about stupid loving weapon sperging in Zelda, aside from Fast RMX, what seems to be worth getting?
If you have a lot of friends, Bomberman is exactly what it says. Although maybe wait for price drop, as $50 seems a bit much

Binding of Isaac features a ton of replay value, and while $40 seems a lot it does include all of the DLC.

Shovel Knight, if you haven't played it, is an excellent NES-style platformer in the vein of Mega Man, but way less punishing. It also includes all three campaigns released thus far, and there's at least one more coming.

Blaster Master Zero has been getting solid reviews if you like retro stuff.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

how does gyro even work with separated joycons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TerraGoetia posted:

I haven't had the chance to play the Splatoon 2 testfire, so I've been really glad to hear that people are enjoying the game. I want to pick it up when it comes out.

I'm not sure how far to take Breath of the Wild. I got a strategy guide and I'm a little over halfway through the list of shrines. I wanted to be somewhat completionist, but the number of seeds to find is... large.
Just get all the shrines. Like, holy poo poo is 900 seeds just a stupidly arbitrary and massive number. I'm glad BotW doesn't have a billion pointless collectibles like a lot of open world games, but a massive number of one useful collectible isn't that much better. Admittedly, they probably did this to practically guarantee that people would find enough of them during a regular playthrough, as opposed to making so many with the intent to get them all.

• Locked thread