Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Calaveron posted:

Honest question, how long does it take to download the day 1 patch for the console and Zelda? I just want to get into this ASAP and decides if I sleep tonight or not

Also got an email from my gamestop saying they wouldn't do a midnight release but when I called they said they totally would so who should I believe

It's tiny, took a minute or so. I suspect it just flicked a few software flags to turn things on. The Zelda one took about 5 minutes or so.

Played Zelda for an hour over my lunch break and it used about 27% battery, and I'm back up to 91% after about 20 minutes of charging. Pretty happy with it so far.

The game is loving amazing and I can't wait till I get home from soccer tonight to play some more :D. Only tried with the joycons as I can't be bothered to connect my Pro Controller while I'm at work. They were pretty comfortable for an hour session but I can see if you have giant hands they would be a little cramped. I put on one of the joycon strap things and had trouble getting it off again; looking online I'm not alone at being gimpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Modus Pwnens posted:

There's a line where I am and they will sell out, but the line didn't fill out until maybe 9PM local.

I think this will be hard to get for a few weeks but it won't be a Wii or NES mini level shortage.

As in many things, Nintendo is very slowly learning lessons.

Very slowly.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

You can get it in AU/NZ

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone else tried posting a photo to Facebook yet? I tried and it was fairly blurry on my PC screen, even when not blown up much.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I bought Bomberman on the Switch (it was $10-15 cheaper than physical) and it downloaded the whole thing quite quickly. Impressed, especially for Day 1.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I died to the first blue Moblin I ran into in Zelda lol
I first died on the big tower when I learned that gravity was a harsh mistress and also that i didn't magically already have the paraglider

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

...it rattles too?

It does if you decide to rattle the stationary console for some bizarre reason.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sounds perfect to be over apple headphones :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bad ones

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: My strap bumpers are still scary tight two days later.

Ditto. I don't plan on using them much but it's still a trick getting them off

And now I'm getting a screen protector tomorrow, just in case.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Will Nintendo fix my Switch's dead pixel? because i'm really sensitive to this kinda poo poo and i've never had a nintendo console with a dead pixel before

Not only am I one of the unlucky fuckers with a dead pixel on my switch but it's right in the center of the screen too :(

I don't know where you are or where you bought your switch but check the store policies. EB, where I bought mine, has a seven day return for any reason policy (so long as you keep the packaging etc).
Although you'd hope that warranty would cost that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Falling off things is an endearing hazard.

Although in the second main area heading into the water and fighting the giant rock monster of doom that pops up out of nowhere was an awesome and impressive way to get slaughtered a few times before triumphantly prevailing :getin:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I like Bomberman so far but I'm not a big fan of the perspectivel; sometimes it's a bit hard to line up where things are.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, it would be nice if they rotated the view just a bit to be more like the old top-down view and not the weird 10 degree or whatever angle it's at. It's also a bit hard to drop bombs accurately once you get a few speed power-ups.

I think I might be better off once I get a pro controller though, the stick doesn't feel quite right for this, and the d-buttons are adequate but not great. They're fine for me in Shovel Knight though, so maybe it's just the game.

I haven't tried it with my Pro yet, hopefully it's a little easier. I've only played the first world in SP so far but a bit of the time (esp. with the boss) it felt very random where my bombs were going. I've killed myself way too many times by dumb accidents.

Much like me falling off things in BOTW, although at least that time it was completely my own dumb fault for not paying attention to the stamina bar :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I bought Horizon on the weekend but still haven't unwrapped it yet as I can't play it whilst "working" in my office on my switch... It does look incredible, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also I finally am using the grip controller and I'm finding it quite comfortable; I could have gotten the Pro controller off the couch but this is more than fine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

La la la wandering around the starting area of Zelda oh hi thirty bats attacking in a swarm welp guess it's time for the death animation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

babypolis posted:

Even after 4 years I still dont understand what the Wii U gimmick is. What the gently caress is that tablet for

The tablet was brilliant for people who had partners that wanted to watch other things on the main TV whilst they played some Mario Kart or whatnot. It was awesome and I'm glad the Switch inherited some of the same DNA, instead of just being another PS4/Xbox clone console.

Hell, the internet just dropped at my work for about 20 minutes and it was awesome just to say "gently caress it" and play Zelda for the interim.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I bought horizon zero dawn last weekend and I still haven't gotten it out of the bag from EB. Zelda is all consuming.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Did the exact same.

I'm sure it'll be fun when I finally start playing it *.

*after putting a cd in, waiting five minutes for it to install, waiting five hours for the inevitable update to download and install

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It looks awesome, but I've had no urge to play anything but Zelda. At some point I will.

Not today.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't know why but I never even thought to wake the console up with my Pro in any way except holding the Home button down :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

Yeah gyro aiming is pretty great, so glad you can use that in the pro controller too.

I'd forgotten reading that the Pro had gyro movements so was very pleasantly surprised when I first tried to use BOTW in dock mode

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

a.lo posted:

I use it all the time

I use mine when I take my Switch to work and play it in tabletop mode. It's really comfortable.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I've only got 25+ hours in Zelda so far. I am such a failure

Although I did make the excellent life choice last night to drink a whole bottle of wine whilst on decent painkillers for some broken toes and when I woke up I'd bought Shovel Knight and Master Blaster so idk thank you Drunk iajanus?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

There is no way I have played Zelda for "50 hours or more". Closer to 20 would be my guess and that is an overestimate. It may include times that I put the system to sleep while paused or something. I don't always go back to the home screen and close the game when done.

I have also had 2 system freezes with it. Once while closing Snipperclips on the home screen, and the second just now when I was looking at my profile, then took it out of airplane mode to see if my sister was online and it froze on the profile friend screen. Had to hold down power. I guess taking out of airplane mode so it has to update the screen you are on and then you hitting buttons is too much for the default UI.

so we're entering the denial stage then :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dizz posted:

poo poo dude don't loving tempt me

Just do what I did last night; get blackout drunk while on prescription painkillers and like magic when you wake up you'll have both installed on your Switch and no recollection of purchasing them! They must have been a gift! No guilt!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I forgot to pack my Switch in my workbag today and now I won't be able to play it at lunch

god drat withdrawal symptoms

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The only problem I have with Zelda is not having a recipe book so I have to rely on my (non-existent) memory for what works and what doesn't.

Unless it does have one and I'm just blind.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You can combine any food ingredient with any other food ingredients and have it work though. It's just addition.

For a given value of the word "work", though; plenty of combinations give dubious food with the total benefit of 1 health (or less). Although sometimes you get better dubious food...

I was overjoyed when I worked out that adding rice to various things gave sushi with pretty massive benefits

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress gently caress gently caress

Was sneaking up on some horses, had used some food to be extra sneaky. Got right up to them and as I'm about to jump onto one two of the big chochubu things jump out of the ground and gently caress up the whole plan

:argh:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I had a really awesome sword and then when I was trying to get to the tower surrounded by water and lily pads I got shocked by an enemy and my sword sank to the briny depths. It looked so sad down there :'(... (although I did fish it out again after ascending the tower).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Magnesis, dude.
It's weird how your runes can solve almost every issue.

That was my method, although it did take a bit because killing the zappy bastards was a challenge.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Infinitum posted:

So Has Been Heroes is 20USD on the US eShop and 40AUD (30USD) on the Aussie eShop.

Good job whoever is in charge of pricing :downsbravo:

When I got my Switch they let us pre-buy HBH for $19.

So that was a good saving.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah my case is always inside a bigger bag when I travel so idk I just want it to protect the $469 toy whilst I'm walking through the airport. Hence I got the Zelda one because I like it.

Also I would look awesome rocking a clutch, I expect.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I kind of remember Nintendo being doomed when I bought my gamecube. I'm sure they'll be put out of business any day now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Animal Crossing coming out for switch pretty much guarantees I will never do any work again.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If they were smart they would

So...

:allears:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the problem, at least in part, is that they were so obsessed with "DUAL SCREENS! PAD IN YOUR LAP!" that the only things that would be easy to port would be the games that ignored the mechanic entirely,

So most of them, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Again you're wrong and purposely bait-trolling the thread. Can you stop being a dickhead?

Here are the maps from launch + maps added afterwards
http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Maps

Splatoon had incredible post-launch support with Nintendo constantly updating it with more and more maps and weapons.

Matchmaking was perfectly fine as well. Goons organised fairly well to team up with one another and had a blast playing it.

Splatoon was one of the best games you could own for the WiiU, and it's going to be one of the best games you can own on the Switch.

Looks like 3 maps to me :colbert:

• Locked thread