Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Eh, I'll probably get a Switch eventually but I'm going to wait for two things: a hardware revision and a price drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So the Switch is still selling like hotcakes? I probably will get one but not until they come out with a thinner and lighter "Switch Lite". I'm kinda hoping they come out with one with a ~5 inch screen, thinner (meaning no stupid cooling fan), and of course lighter with better battery life.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

Do you know how physics works? Just wondering.

Two words: Moore's Law

Have the SoC in the Switch shrunk down to 16nm or even 10nm and then the cooling fan probably won't be needed. It will also be cheaper to produce thus maybe a lower price. It's why we now have the PS4 slim and Xbox One S.

And I'm going to laugh so hard at this thread when a "Switch Lite" is announced probably in less than a year because this is Nintendo we are talking about. They just announced the New 2DS XL because it's Nintendo. :laugh:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Then enjoy the beta version of the Switch hardware.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Nvidia is not doing a die shrink of a 2 year old SoC. If they were planning on doing it, they would have done it before the switch launched as that would have been the logical time.

Nvidia has withdrawn from this market. This and the ShieldTV are the last hurrah of the Tegra SoC outside of AI and car infotainment systems.

With the Switch selling like hotcakes, Nvidia or some other SoC maker will gladly make and sell Nintendo another SoC for the "New Nintendo Switch" in 2 years time and by then the Switch might have a much bigger and better library of games that would look and run better on the New Switch. Nintendo has always made so many interations of the same handheld systems (DS, DS lite, DSi, and DSi XL then 3DS, 3DSXL, n3DSXL, n3DS, 2DS, and now n2DSXL) so why would the Switch be immune to the same formula? I'll be very surprised if Nintendo bucks that trend.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 3, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

However, one route they might take for a hardware revision is to put out a cheaper, handheld-focused edition. It'd have non-detachable controls (might allow them to make it a little smaller), and no dock in the box (shaves a good chunk off the pricetag). The only parts included would be the system and charger. Allows them to offer a lower cost up-front, while still leaving the option to upgrade to full functionality by buying a dock and controllers separately.

This. This right here this guy gets it. He just described a "Switch Lite" which is what I want.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So how about the rumors of a new Metroid Prime game for the Switch? I'm thinking it will simply be Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for the Switch in say...Spring 2018. :laugh:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I didn't own a GameCube

:staredog:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

parallelodad posted:

I liked Prime 3 the most cause there was hardly any backtracking. There's a fine line between exploration and mindless backtracking filler that I think part 2 fails and part 1 steps over on occasion.

IMHO opinion there was just the right amount of backtracking in the first Metroid Prime game which is still one of my favorite games of all time. Metroid Prime 2 had too much backtracking and crappy save locations while Metroid Prime 3 was too linear it didn't have enough backtracking.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

acksplode posted:

Prime 1 is definitely one of the best games of all time, so it's cool that the Prime Trilogy gave it worse graphics than the original GCN release.

And yet I still give a personal score of 9.9/10 because there is no such thing as a perfect game. The game froze/locked up on me a few times on the GameCube. :colbert:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Same thing with Half-Life 2. 9.9/10 because the game would occasionally stutter or outright crash while I played it. Like I mentioned before there is no such thing as a perfect video game. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I always wanted to get hit by blue shells while having really bad motion sickness.

• Locked thread