Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm at a Walmart and there's maybe a little under 30 people in line and that's about how many consoles there are.

Gonna get my neon :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How is demand so far?

I am debating swinging by Target (opens 8am) on my way to work to pick one up. I suppose I'm willing to wait a short while, but there's no way I'm lining up at like 5am.

Those of you planning on buying at midnight, how are the lines? Are there even lines at all?

There's a line where I am and they will sell out, but the line didn't fill out until maybe 9PM local.

I think this will be hard to get for a few weeks but it won't be a Wii or NES mini level shortage.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Got my neon. Zelda and 1-2 Switch don't come until Monday, but I've got stuff to do this weekend. Just messing around with the console itself it seems really nice. I'm hyped.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The PDP one sucks. It is too big, and also doesn't come with some of the quality of life things that I expect from screen protectors these days. No included spray/wet wipe, crumpled lovely little tabs you can't pull off without touching the underside or exposing it to dust, no hinge method stickers, no way to clean dust off the underside after the inevitable first failed attempt because it's oversized.

If none of that made sense to you, congratulations, you're not an rear end in a top hat. But still don't buy the PDP one.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

So apparently the dock is scratching some screens. Since the Hori one is apparently a bust, what screen protector is the new champion?

Not the PDP one.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

:jerkbag:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Most PC games come with plenty of graphical settings to make them run fine on older systems. It's just a matter of putting in the money and effort to optimize their games for the Switch. If the games sell well enough, they will.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The charging port is on the bottom so the Switch can slide into the dock and charge. It's not that mysterious.

Still sucks for tabletop mode.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The USB port also transmits the video signal.

Bombadilillo posted:

But since you talked about it already I guess its a settled matter and everything is forgiven.

:rolleyes:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Pretty much this. No reason not to just have contacts on the bottom. Or allow the UI to flip upside down.

Of course there's a reason. You don't have to agree with the solution they chose but it's not like they're just randomly placing things everywhere. Are you that lacking in imagination?

Flipping the screen would mean that users would have to the Switch in upside down, which is counterintuitive, and the main emphasis of the system is making that TV to portable to TV transition as smooth as possible. Just lift up the console and one second later you're playing it. When you're done just set it down. Everything about the design is about that experience.

Creating a port for charging outside the dock and separate ports for charging and audio/video in dock mode would increase the cost and reduce available space inside the unit for the battery.

I'm not saying Nintendo can do no wrong, but they aren't thoughtless.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Hace posted:

Also why are people trying to play in tabletop mode, aka the worst mode.

Sorry, snuggling up and playing Snipperclips owns.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I just made a Japanese Nintendo Account and linked it to my Switch. Now how am I gonna go about adding funds so I can get Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3? I'm operating under the impression that you can't just use a debit or credit card to buy what you want, but if anyone can point out otherwise, that'd be a big help

Amazon.co.jp sells digital codes. I'm phone posting or I'd link, but just search "Nintendo Point" and a bunch should pop up in 1000 yen increments. You may need a Japanese address, which you can get by creating a free account at tenso.com

If so, it's a few extra steps, but you only have to do it once, and you won't be paying any fees aside from that on your credit card.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Roadie posted:

A thing that people with Bluetooth headsets may be interested in (though it's still really dumb that we even have to consider it).

When can I buy one?

I'm not even joking, that's great.

It's just a dollar-store mini-easel with a notch carved out DIY-style. And I agree, it's great.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dehry posted:

$71 after everything applied at Play Asia.

It's around $62 shipped on Amazon Japan to US.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure that's always the case for 1st week sales on any VideoGame related stuff in Japan; they always release on Thursday.

Going from Wikipedia (so it must be right), the Wii and WiiU were released on Saturdays in Japan. Not sure what that means for the sales counts.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Yeah, that's the one to get.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

YMMV of course but the package specifically states they have a lifetime warranty. They will do one free replacement if it ever breaks.

I don't have experience with that particular brand but shipping on the "free replacement" is almost always the same or more expensive as buying a new one. So I would just treat them as disposable.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Rirse posted:

Not so sure I want it to be hacked so early, as it going to probably force them to close even more stuff off.

Frankly, as long as it's region free and dev kits are reasonably priced, I hope it stays not hacked.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Not sure if this is worth making a post in SAMart or something, but if anyone else is collecting the Super Mario pins:

I need Bowser and have extra Marios and Toads. Looking to trade before I throw any more money at them.

I bought some when I was waiting in line for the Switch and was surprised at how nice they are.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

If Metroid was like BotW it either wouldn't be Metroid or would be super annoying because 90% of the world would be initially closed off because you lack a screw attack or whatever. So it wouldn't really be like BotW.

Metroid has always been about exploring an area and seeing where you newest toys will let you go. Older Zeldas are kinda like that, yet far more linear.

I think the idea isn't making BotW with Metroid stuff, it's doing to Metroid what BotW did to Zelda -- that is, examining what comprises the core experience and scrapping anything that's just become rote or expected. Trying to get back to how the first Metroid felt to play at the time rather than iterating on the latest game.

(Honestly though it's been long enough that I'd love an iteration on either Metroid Prime or Fusion/Zero Mission)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

naw its still really silly an fps came out with only 5 maps at launch sorry

Nah

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

it absolutely is, sorry, its ridiculous. its good that the sequel is at least upping the on release map number as far as we know so far. or would you rather they cut it back down to five seeing as that was "fine"

As long as they come and are free, I really would prefer it that way.

I'd probably rather they not do the map rotation thing but I can see why some might like it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

can you defend why you would rather a game release with less content? this is a weird thing to say

It was a manageable number of maps to learn at once, and it was fun having something new to learn at the same time as everyone else every update.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Like I know you're Stux or whatever but you keep saying "on release" as if that's some sacred moment, rather than the experience of playing it week by week. It's not.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Had a girl over last night. I was playing Zelda when she showed up, but I never turned it off, I just warped Link to a tower and let him idle there while overlooking the beautiful world.

It was like having a living painting in the background while we talked. The dynamic weather added so much to it, too.

Hey, it beats making out to a 30-second looping DVD menu.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Spellman posted:

I just can't believe an originally 5 dollar game is now 50 dollars

Blow me, Binding of Isaac

I also can't believe it. Probably because it's not true.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

You should wait for the next update, rumors are (from refurbs getting back with bonus features) that cloud saves are coming. The ability to transfer is inevitable. but nobody knows. At least wait for cloud saves.

I don't know why you'd NEED the stuff on the SD card.

That was a misunderstanding/hoax.

E: Not to say that it's not coming eventually.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

eonwe posted:

just uh, lmao if you dont like splatoon 2 and feel like a kid when you play it

What if I feel like a squid?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Apparently I was wrong and my less than stellar reaction to the gyro controls was in fact wrong and I'm dumb and don't know how to play video games. Thanks for setting me straight guys. You are so much more skilled and amazing at Splatoon 2 than me.

Booyah!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Loopoo posted:

as if I'm some big goober who is dumb enough to sell the Switch at less than what I bought it for.

Loopoo posted:

Most I'll lose if I sell it right now is around 15 quid (the cut Amazon takes) which is more than okay for me, since I've definitely gotten 15 quids worth out of it.

🤔

Loopoo posted:

I'd happily sell it for 20 quid less instead of making some poor bastard pay more than retail cause I'm a greedy douche, especially since I've gotten 20 quids worth out of it these past 3 weeks.

🤔🤔

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I do think that BotW loses something significant once you get all your abilities and master the combat. Exploration becomes trivialized long before you see all there is to see. I'm​ not sure there's any way around that, and maybe it's okay because who says you have to see everything anyway, but I'm a little sad that I'll never get to replicate the sense of danger and awe of the first week or two I played it.

E: Just to be clear I think BotW might be the best game ever made. I just see that poster's point, and I feel it to some degree myself.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I can't wait for CNET's savage review.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

http://amzn.to/2nkqQmf - Neon switch, order now for April 1st restock

Wow, it's only $160. Ordered five, eat it losers!!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The idea of slagging Amazon's customer service and then recommending Best Buy is crazy to me. They're one of the few companies I'd quickly name as even worse.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Not judging but if we don't allow piracy talk, I don't​ see how amiibo spoofing is any different. :shrug:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

Next generation Games posting is frantically defending in-cart DLC unlocked by sub-happy meal plastic collectibles

I'm pretty sure it's ridiculous hyperbole and bad faith arguments, same as always.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
LOL if you don't spend every waking moment wishing pain and misery upon the majority of humanity.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Time to get ready to record my video for YouTube ::stuffs half a dozen marbles into my mouth, watches a few minutes of Will Farrell doing a Harry Caray impersonation::

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Switch good but it is still blowing my mind I can't play SNES or NES or N64 games on it yet

Pretty soon you'll be able to play one game boy game and two super famicom games for $40 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Music Theory posted:

Here's what the Switch needs:

:yeah:

• Locked thread