Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I had this whole intro typed up but then I realized there was already a pretty succinct summary of Samurai Jack already out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51hgWIsY4M

Samurai Jack ran on Cartoon Network from 2001 until 2004. It was created by Genndy Tartakovsky, most well known for creating hit cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars shorts (not the CGI cartoon, the 2D one that actually made General Grievous look cool). He also directed a lot Powerpuff Girls episodes, and is responsible for Hotel Transylvania starring Adam Sandler but he shouldn't be too proud of that one.

ANYYYWAY, Samurai Jack followed a time-displaced samurai trying to prevent the FUTURE THAT IS AKU. It was extremely episodic, one episode could have Jack fighting an army of bug robots and the next could have Jack breaking his wooden sandals and comically having to go try a bunch of new ones and fighting in stiletto heels. It's widely remembered for its stylish animation. It won 4 Emmys for god's sake! It's also remembered for being incredibly violent while dodging censors because practically every bad guy Jack tore to shreds was actually a robot (or an alien)

and so Jack would end fights covered in oil when you knew it was supposed to be blood :v:.

Like all good cartoons though, it ended. Tartakovsky has stated that he was in talks to make a movie, but it always seemed to wind up in development hell. Jack would be lost to the ages, only showing up in lovely Cartoon Network games every now and then. But now, loving 13 years later, out of the blue, Jack is Back. Adult Swim announced that Samurai Jack would have a 5th season airing on their Toonami block (hey kids get ready for 100% more blood) back in 2015, then they loving teased us for a straight year waiting to announce when it was actually going to air. But now we finally have details: March 11th. It's going to be 10 episodes long and unlike the old series, it's going to actually have continuity, all leading to a definitive ending. The plot (the amount that's been revealed at least) catches up with Jack 50 years later. He has not aged (perhaps due to being a time traveler?) and is getting pretty worn down by the constant fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgXDiXr-0M

Also here's an interview with Tartakovsky from 2015 talking about the new season (also has Phil Lamarr joking about how voicing Jack is a really easy gig) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6yhhfiUh8

So I guess if you haven't seen the series before, I should cover some basics:

Characters

Samurai Jack voiced by Phil Lamarr

OH WAIT BUT WE'RE EVEN FARTHER IN THE FUTURE

Samurai Jack is a samurai flung through time from ancient Japan. His name isn't actually Jack, he was just dubbed Jack by some jive talkin' aliens and for some reason just rolled with it. He never corrects anybody on it at least. Jack is trained in pretty much all forms of combat, from archery to hand-to-hand, and apparently judging by the new trailers, guns. His main weapon is his sword though. It's a hanzo steel katana imbued by the gods with magic powers which make it able to slay demons and also make it pretty much unbreakable.

Fun facts:
  • Jack's sword cannot be used against him because he's pure of heart or some such poo poo.
  • Jack's archery teacher was Robin Hood.
  • Jack jumps good.

Aku voiced by Greg Baldwin, replacing the late, great Mako

Aku is the ultimate evil. He can shapeshift, he's completely immune to non-magic weapons, he's got a lot of other bullshit magic powers and he has conquered the world. He is the show's ultimate enemy... but also its main comedy relief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7N67hn0TlA

Aku is kind of a coward, although that's fair seeing as Jack carries the only thing that's a threat to him.

Fun facts:
  • Aku is split off from a larger formless evil in space from the beginning of time, one that Vishnu, Ra, and Odin teamed up to defeat*. A little piece that Odin missed (SMOOTH MOVE ALL-FATHER) broke off and flew through space until it crashed into Earth and eventually formed into Aku.
  • *said gods also forged the magic sword Jack wields
  • Since Aku prefers not to face Jack one-on-one, he sends a lot of mercenaries, which can be ordered by phone in the GRIM FUTURE THAT IS AKU.
  • Aku has turned into a lady once just to dick with Jack
  • Aku personally killed Jack's dad, so if conquering the world wasn't enough reason for Jack to hate him... y'know, there's that.

OTHER CHARACTERS

The Scotsman voiced by John Dimaggio

The Scotsman is a total rear end in a top hat who met Jack when they were both trying to cross a narrow bridge at the same time. They started fighting over trivial bullshit (like any superhero teamup) until some bounty hunters cuffed them together and they had to work together to free themselves. The Scotsman holds the honor of being basically the only recurring character on Samurai Jack, having shown up in more than one episode. He's part of a clan of other very large Scotsmen and he'll have you know his wife is the sweetest flower in all of the land. He's also going to appear in this season too, you can see him for a brief second in the trailer.

It looks like in the 50 years since last season, he's gotten a cyber eye and a much larger gun-leg.

Fun facts:
  • His sword is enchanted with magic runes, making it equally unbreakable with Jack's sword
  • He's also wanted by Aku, so presumably either the sword can hurt Aku, or he just has some other unspecified beef with the Scotsman
  • He carries a bagpipe everywhere but he's loving awful at playing it

These random rear end bounty hunter ladies?

Who knows? They don't look very nice.

Anyway I've gone on long enough. Also since this is airing on Toonami, I feel obligated to post a link to the current Adult Swim/Toonami thread where you can hang out and shitpost about anything on AS/Toonami that doesn't already have a dedicated thread here in TVIV. Also here's the General Kids' Show Thread where you can talk about other cartoons and drown yourself in nostalgia.

The original series can be found on DVD and on Amazon video, and if Cartoon Network had any sense, they'd put the episodes up streaming on their site. IGNORE ME I'M WRONG

livingfruitvirus posted:

They can't because they sold the rights to Hulu not long ago. https://www.hulu.com/samurai-jack

Anyway, definitely watch it if you can.

Pictured: Cartoon Network, teasing you for a whole year with promises of new Jack.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man...I can't wait till a firm date for the return is posted.

Saturday, like this Saturday, at 11.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You can see him holding the sword for a split second in the trailer, so I'm guessing he either loses it and gets it back, or over the years that Jack's grown disillusioned, and he finally just thought "A gun works fine on all these robots"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

The head Daughter mentioned that if they killed Jack, then maybe Aku would return to them. But then again, he was on the phone later, so who knows what exactly that means.

I'm guessing it's more of a crazy cult thing and Aku doesn't know about them at all.

Bear in the Woods posted:

I wonder if Aku stopped caring about Jack/everything at some point considering Scaramouche was gonna tell him that Jack had lost The Sword like he didn't know previously.

That's my theory. I mean, in the original series, Aku's trying to kill Jack just because Jack's gunning for him constantly. Probably over the last 50 years, in the same way that Jack's become world weary, Aku just stopped caring. I mean, in the very first episode, he didn't really try to find the one weapon that could harm him after his resurrection (you'd think that would be a priority) before Jack came along, and Jack was able to waltz right up to Aku's lair. Clearly he still cares a little, since he's still sending mercs like Scaramouche, but Jack's not a priority. Even if he did know Jack had lost the sword, he probably wouldn't show up in person to kill Jack, he's not a proactive guy.

Actually, posting that clip reminded me that Aku can see Jack all the time so he would definitely know the sword was gone... if he cared enough to check.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Give it to Ubisoft, and they can make an open world game where you scale towers. The hook is that the towers have time portals on top of them that Aku snatches away when you get up there. As a consolation prize, Aku tells you about some cool side activities that are put onto your map.

There's an upgrade system, light stealth mechanics, and parkour.

You can pick up audio logs but every one is Aku trolling you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Takes out a loving gun". I love it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

The wolf was just meant to parallel his situation.

The dagger was something he acquired in the last episode (first of the new season), from Scaramouche. It's a sonic thing. As mentioned, it causes the things it hits to explode.

The fireflies were attracted to living things, I think. The assassins, Jack, the roots of the tree.

I can only guess about why he didn't squash the firefly; perhaps he assumed that they already saw the light seeping through the cracks. To smash the bug would only confirm his presence. He only had to hope that they didn't see him, would write it off as nothing, or failing that wait until the last moment to strike as he ended up doing in the episode.

Aside from being a metaphor, I think the reason Jack didn't swat the firefly was pretty simple, if you swat a firefly a lot of the time it'll glow after it dies. Better, more tactical decision by Jack is to pray that it stops glowing or that it flies away rather than swatting it and definitely getting glowing bug juice right on his body.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

They spent way too much time characterizing the daughters for that to be it, so I think the three that fell survived.

Not really. Ashi's the only one that really had characterization because of that glimpse of the outside. The other ones were faceless assassins. Their only difference from every other schmoe in the series was being human (and also being really stealthy).

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure you can chock that one up to hallucination via severe loss of blood

Frankly in the crazy world of Samurai Jack with its scatting robot assassins, I wouldn't doubt the possibility of a talking frog being around. I mean the first episode of the series has Jack defend some talking dogs.

That said, you're probably right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

oh, i think i get it. i like jack cool motorcycle. sad that motorcycle gone. :( miss motorcycle.

this but unironically.

Fionordequester posted:

1) I'm a virgin

2) I'm a 24 year old who has never had a girlfriend

3) I'm a devout Christian man who specifically goes out of his way to not think about things that'll get his engine running; at least till he meets his future wife.

Take it to E/N, buddy, jeez!

*thunderous applause*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

Huh; rather sad no one got the reference :( .

I got it but I didn't know how to respond.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I'm just disappointed they didn't run Jack with googly eyes. Especially with the physics, it would have been amazing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AriadneThread posted:

the remaining episodes will be aired in reverse order

Before the final blow is struck, Cartoon Network will tear open a portal in time and throw the finale into the future THAT IS AKU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about everyone else, but every night at 10 this week, my cable lists the new Jack episode. But of course, that's when AS is replaying Rick and Morty. I admire Adult Swim for their commitment to trolling.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Samurai Jack - "Many people pay for this"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Have you not watch previous seasons?

He went inside a dragon.

edit: On a second thought, to be fair to you that was like 13 years ago.

Yeah, Jack's been in all sorts of weird places. Bottom of the ocean, middle of space, wherever. He always makes it out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

That's a bit contrived. Jack could've just waited a minute to see they weren't dead.

Well they looked quite dead, and their writhing in pain didn't help. But really you can chalk it up to Jack's PTSD. This was just the straw that broke the camel's samurai's back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

What about Samlab 2021?

"You want the beard on or off?"
"Off"
"... Too bad"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thinking back, the one thing that bothered me about this episode was Aku's voice. And not because of anything that Greg Baldwin did badly imitating Mako, but it seems like there's usually more of a echo-y effect when Aku talks but in this episode he's just... talking. Am I going crazy and (not) hearing things?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

So, is it just me, or did they very conspicuously not show Ghotsman's legs during that brief snippet we got to see of him?

Scotsman was never really fond of leg day

now that he's a ghost he should definitely just ditch them for a wispy ghost tail. OR ALTERNATELY HE SHOULD SHOOT GHOST BULLETS.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IronSaber posted:

Imagine four FOOOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIORS on the edge of a cliff...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Ashi picking up a soldier and taking out half the army by pushing him is one of the most idiotic things I've seen in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFxRXCG73M&t=4s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I was kinda hoping that Jack would stay looking like a bedraggled hobo even once he got the sword back.

Well it's a shame about the beard, but at least he won't stay dressed for long. It's a staple of Samurai Jack that his clothes get destroyed and he winds up in his underpants by the end of practically every fight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

I dunno, maybe we're overthinking it.

tviv.txt

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess I've read too many Wolverine comics because the concept of an old man who looks like a young man hooking up with a (comparatively much) younger woman doesn't bother me.

Also gently caress all y'all that Dean Martin smash cut end joke was hilarious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spit on my clit posted:

i hope this doesnt mean that samurai jack fans have fallen the way of star wars fans.

Until people start arguing about what levels of canon season 5 is compared to the previous seasons, we're never that far down.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I disagree with many of the "this episode was bad" posts but I will agree with most everyone that the season probably needed to be longer make little one-offs like this episode not seem like "filler". I actually have liked the last few as they feel more episodic like the old show, but the serialized nature of this season ultimately does make them feel out of place.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I forgot that. Either Ashi would have to use his sword and toss it through the portal, or a new one would have to be forged for her.

Jack should just sit around meditating and getting zapped by deities and becoming a one-man magic sword factory

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 8, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

cant believe yall niggas this mad over jack getting trim

:yeah:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://strawpoll.com/48cdgwg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Genndy trolling everybody asking about the Guardian hard. "It'll be addressed" *8 episodes later* "HE'S DEAD, SUCKERS"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

A Space Ghost CtC-style show with Aku hosting. The Scotsman is Moltar. Scaramouche is Zorak.
Jack is Brak.

Scaramouche is dead! Murdered! Scotsman, serve the first course!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

:shrug: I'm still enjoying things.

I even liked episode 8. Dick/sex jokes are, and will remain, funny.

*audible gasps arise from crowd*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snipee posted:

Guys, they only kissed. There has been no loving in this show. The previous episode started off exactly where the previous one had stopped, leaving no room for offscreen sex. The romance is still gross, but we don't need to make poo poo up.

That's why this season is bad. It lacks a twist. And the twist is full penetration.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Did Jack ever do a crossover?

Yes and no? Like, they never did a crossover, but CN had these bumps for a while with all their characters living in a realistic city. Most of them are just establishing shots of recognizable cartoon areas looking "real" but some feature characters from different shows interacting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeo_zHTWB4

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 18, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I legitimately believe that Aku uses social media sites to badmouth the foolish samurai. :colbert:

I was gonna say, poo poo talking on social media sounds like a very Aku move.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nerdbot posted:

Is this just a Seinfeld 2000 tweet now.

imagine if gerge wanted jawbreakers today

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thought the episode was nice until the end, I hated that poo poo in Gurren Lagann and I still hate it now. The ending with the ladybug was sweet though.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Really, the thing that bothers me the most is that Aku just dies without any fanfare. Jack barely interacts with him the whole episode and then he just kills him off like that.

Of course Aku was killed off easily. Past Aku wasn't a match for Jack the first time, and throughout the series, Aku shows over and over he simply can't take Jack in a one on one fight. Now (past) Aku's only barely recovered after fighting Jack the first time and suddenly Jack comes back arguably stronger after 50 years of honing his skills on robots and poo poo. So of course he went down easy. But I mean poo poo, you want fanfare? They blew up a building! Were Odin and Vishnu and Ra gonna appear in the clouds and give Jack a thumbs up?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 21, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

I'm surprised at people being surprised that Jack would go back to the past to undo centuries of torment and suffering even at the cost of the people he saved. People ask "What's the point." And the point is that Jack isn't the kind of person who does good because "This ultimately leads to the end game." Jack doesn't care that every good thing he ever did was erased, doing good - for the sake of doing good - is the entire point. That's why even at the last portal, he didn't hesitate to throw himself into it. And you know what? If you think for a moment that anyone who showed up to save him was going "How dare he undo this horrible world and erase the me that currently exists." Then you're even more foolish. The goal from the start was to go back and stop Aku, even if you want to point to the thousands Jack had saved in the future, that is incomparable to the billions he would be saving by ending Aku before AKU perverted the timeline.

Yeah for real, everyone's like "how could he erase his friends" but there is like 1000+ years of history Jack missed while Aku was killing people and turning the planet into a dystopian wasteland. You gotta go back, back to the past. Plus Jack's not some HUGE NERD who's gonna worry about poo poo like split timeline theories or time paradoxes, of course he's gonna take the fastest route to killing the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think this has been posted yet but here's a shot by shot comparison of Aku sending Jack to the future in episode 1 vs. him doing the same in the final episode. He's so much smugger in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjin3X9j1M

• Locked thread