Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Man, Samurai Jack with blood is such a wild concept. Maybe those bounty hunters won't be inexplicably robotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, until otherwise stated, I'm just gonna assume all the Aku's Daughters scenes were flashbacks.

Speaking of, it kind of bugs me that the series went dark as all hell with them (up to and including actual humans getting arrows through their eyes) but then Jack's two big fights were still against robots.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Megaspel posted:

I'm surprised no-one's connected these two dots. There's a horseman, and there's a Samurai named Jack. Who do we know is a bad dude? That's right Bojack Horseman.

I suddenly understand everything.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'll blend right in...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

God drat, the action in that episode was amazing. And someone actually died on Samurai Jack.

It's a little hard to believe that in 50 years not one living person went after Jack, but either way I like the episode acting like that's the case since from the audience's point of view that's exactly what happened.

Annointed posted:

Yeah I'm convinced this group is a credible threat to Jack. It'd be kind of messed up if Jack kills them in increasingly raw and brutal ways in his descent to madness.

Before I saw the preview I thought Jack had just buried them all alive with Scaramouche's dagger, but that would've been pretty anticlimactic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Speaking of "might even have given him a run for his money with his sword", I think that's part of what the weapon breaking motif in this episode was about. Jack's sword was famously unbreakable--if he'd been able to hold onto it, the Daughters' major tactic against him wouldn't have worked. That everything he tries to substitute it with keeps breaking just shows how far he's fallen.

(For that matter, there's also how much faster than Jack they are in the beginning when he's wearing all that heavy armor, which ultimately doesn't even help.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Next episode, they reveal Jack survived because his fall was cushioned with those corpses. He was really thinking ahead.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I always got the vibe Aku either allowed or participated in the slaughter of most of humanity., since we don't really see that many humans and he had to make room for all those aliens and robots somehow.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

raditts posted:

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

I don't know if I agree with those criticisms specifically, but I definitely don't agree with "no criticisms allowed" (or, above on this page, "if you try to look at things through a feminist lens you must be broken and/or trolling").

Samurai Jack is legit a work of art, and as such deserves to be considered seriously. It's a great show, but as Tartakovsky said in an interview someone linked earlier in the thread, "I don’t think of myself as a 47-year-old with a mortgage and three kids, I think of myself as a virile young 25". And there's no way that's not going to be reflected in the show, for better and worse. (For instance, "gotta get back, back to the past" takes on a much more relatable meaning in that light than it originally had.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

So, is it just me, or did they very conspicuously not show Ghotsman's legs during that brief snippet we got to see of him?

Presumably that was just because he was rising out of his body, so they would logically be obscured by his corpse, but actually showing that would look weird.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

X9 is basically if The Last Bastion ended with Bastion just getting murdered at the end.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Aku's influence spreads across timelines like the roots of a tree. Wipe out Aku at the source, and all the Akus across the universe wink out of existence for no discernible reason.

Too bad about the ludonarrative dissonance.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Jack lost the sword because the animals he killed had cute corpses I guess

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oooh, so angry. Be careful samurai, so much stress will give you a heart attack.

You oughtta know by now...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

It was a fine normal episode of Samurai Jack.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think if this was an episode of Samurai Jack that had aired during its original run I'd probably say "not the best, kind of weird he suddenly has a love interest, but it's alright."

But the first three episodes just set that bar so drat high. The tension, the mystery, the choreography...there's just no measuring up. I wish they could have stuck to that the whole time, but maybe you can't recapture that without keeping it as constrained as it started out.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

mycot posted:

I don't think Jack is getting back to the past

But...he's gotta.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

Obviously this would be garbage, but the idea of the Scotsman trolling Aku on not-Twitter sounds hilarious.

Aku sends out deranged social media messages at 3 AM.

"NO SHAPESHIFTING MASTER OF DARKNESS HAS EVER BEEN TREATED THIS HARSHLY OR THIS UNFAIRLY!"

Aku supporters in the replies get mad at SJWs (Samurai Jack Warriors) for making the hashtag #ResistAku start trending.

I would watch this, as well as the episode where depressed Aku binges on Netflix, or where Aku plays Overwatch and gets salty over Hanzo mains.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Either they lied to us and they've got more episodes in the pipeline to surprise us with or they're going to pull a Dark Tower and it's going to end the second Jack actually enters the time portal.

I thought you meant the coda, which in this context would be Jack enters the portal and comes out the exact same time and place Aku threw him to originally, forgetting everything and having to go through the whole series again, with one minute change that suggests this time it will end differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Potassium Problems posted:

I see it as some people built up their idea of a perfect end to the series in their head and instead of judging the episode/series on its merits, they're whining that it didn't match their fan-fiction

If anything it's the other way around, at least in this case. The ending was so unsatisfying, it's only natural to try to imagine something better. (Null Profusion's idea of a running time travel battle, for instance, is rad as hell.)

• Locked thread