Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frijolero posted:

If the allegations turn out to be true, Democrats are going to double down on doing nothing to correct the party.

Here's a helpful tip, they're going to double down on doing nothing regardless because the leadership is full of idiots like JeffersonClay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

looks like we just got an answer, and it's not just a no, but an emphatic hell no!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/17/hillary-clinton-ready-to-return-politics

Yup, they're dead.

They're going to run her again in 2020, I loving guarantee it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy gently caress, mcmagic, weren't you the hardest of Bernie supporters, and now you're in here accusing people of being terrible for not voting for Clinton?

I remember you earning a "mcmagic was right" av after the election, why are you now intent on shaming people for not helping Worst Candidate Ever Hillary win?

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Point is her and her venture capitalist "democrat" family need to gently caress right off back to their manhattan glass tower and literal duffel bags of corporate cash

drat right, I should never hear about the Clinton name again in politics.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But we should swear fealty to a dude who wasted Millions of dollars to lose an election to them. Okay then.

How do you suffer the Most Embarrassing Election Loss ever and then not turn to the other guy who ran against you and ask "Hey, any ideas?"

No swearing of fealty required, duder.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The other guy lost to you and spent millions of dollars to do it without having a single loving negative ad ran against him. I don't know, maybe Bernie isn't the savior of the party?

If not him, then who?

He's currently the most favorably viewed politician in America.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's a big difference in getting his input and handing him the keys to the car.

Well considering everyone else at the party seems to be drunk on donor class bullshit and Very Serious Thinking, I'd like to see how well Bernie could drive the car for a while.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bernie is also pretty drunk on Very Serious Thinking, you just happen to agree with him.

You're delusional.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Democrats lost/lose because they're too elitist and out of touch with Regular People

He is correct about this part, in fact, it's the entire point of the thread.

I'm not even touching the other part of your post other than to say there is absolutely no reason we can't be the party of both economic and racial justice.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 20, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I haven't changed what I was saying at all. I was a hardcore Bernie supporter and I worked for and voted for him in the primary. I also said after the primary that not working for and voting for "poo poo Candidate Hillary Clinton" made you terrible and I still believe that.

No, I get that, but why waste your energy trying to shame people for not winning the election that we already lost? Let's focus on the next one.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's literally said the second half of that post. I am not sure why you're denying it's true?

I didn't deny anything, I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic and not have it devolve into the "Bernie supporters are racist!" argument again, because that's not a productive discussion to have.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But that isn't at all my point, other than to say that Bernie is also very deep into Very Serious Thinking, which apparently is hard to admit?

My idea of Very Serious Thinking is poo poo like "We can't go after Wall Street" or "We can't fight for $15, it's too much" not what Bernie is talking about so clearly we just have different definitions here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

WampaLord's explanation wasn't good, but a better definition of "Very Serious Thinking" is thinking that is either an attempt to justify the status quo or an attempt to justify limiting a change to the status quo. This is because powerful entrenched interests generally do not want to make any big changes to the status quo (though there are exceptions depending upon the interest), so they put the weight of their influence and reputation behind the opinions they support.

"Very Serious Thinking" isn't even necessarily wrong in all cases, but it's main flaw is that it has a strong bias (in favor of the status quo) but pretends to be unbiased and rational. The dumber leftist posters in these threads may post dumb stuff, but at least they don't try to assert some ideological neutrality along with it.

Basically, "Very Serious Thinking" takes what are absolutely ideological viewpoints and asserts them to not be ideological.

Yes, a better summation. Very Serious Thinking gets us poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGDKCy0bWGY

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

The fact that someone like Feingold lost, and by a larger amount than Hillary lost by in Wisconsin shows you how far right/left the country really is. Anyone who thinks Democrats lost because the party was too centrist, and a true liberal would have cleaned house needs to look at the Wisconsin senate race and see how nonsense that idea is.

If this election was really all about Hillary being bad, Feingold would have won Wisconsin while Hillary lost, but he didn't.

If you stay home and don't vote for Hillary, it ends up affecting the downticket races too. A lot of Obama voters stayed home.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

If strong progressives only care about the presidency and don't care about voting for progressives in the senate and house then a strategy constructed around engaging them is going to have some big problems in midterm elections.

This isn't a "strong progressives" thing, this is a "most voters" thing.

Downballot races are not the reason most voters turn out to vote. If you are staying home because the top of the ticket has left you feeling underwhelmed, you're not going to go "But I should at least vote for my Senate race!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yes, this unironically, forever.

the democrats need to stop gently dipping their toes in the water and openly come out against the 0.1%. that would literally be the thing that fixes the democratic party.

:yeah:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

You have got to be the most clueless fucker I've ever heard of.

"So Obama helped, but not enough? I guess that possible"

I'm loving dying.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

So all that means is that the Dems need a giant gently caress-off finger to point at Republicans and scream "it was them!". Policy is irrelevant if blame is going to be misapplied and one side is intentionally starting fires just so they can blame the other.

No, you need to give people reasons to vote FOR you and not just AGAINST your opponent. Good policy accomplishes this.

The fact that anyone needs to be told this lesson after the 2016 election is loving mind boggling.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Dumb leftists will ignore it, again. I'm not talking about you, you're one of the good ones.

By the way, Majorian is just as much of a "dumb leftist" as the rest of the people responding to you, he's just way too civil.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

This is what I was hoping their response would be. "What reform will we work with you on? How about Medicare for all?"

You might want to read that again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

It looks to me like he's saying "expand Medicaid." What am I missing?

I'm not sure how you got from "expand Medicaid" to "Medicare for all"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

The point is, the Democratic response to Trump saying, "Well, I'll work with the Dems to reform health care then!:downs:" should be to demand everything they possibly can.

Ah, okay, I get you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Can't blame her for thinking that, since Obama's first and second terms were good enough for the electorate, and he remains popular even today. If he'd been able to run for a third term he probably would have won.

Of course he would, he's charismatic as gently caress.

Hillary is not.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The real problem with the Green Party is their ego-focused priorities, only running a candidate for President every 4 years and not doing the hard work of trying to win small, local elections to actually build up some influence.

I totally get why they do that, because it's way easier to get support/money/attention during the presidential election, but they're being selfish as gently caress.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frijolero posted:

They do run local candidates. (I was one of them in 2014).
They currently have 100+ local candidates in office.

That's a drop in the bucket and you know that. That's a pathetic amount considering how many positions are available in this country.

Frijolero posted:

Again, Hillary and centrism lost the 2016 election, not the third parties.

I agree, but it's important we don't view the Greens as the solution because they have just as many problems, if not more.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

Oh, I'm not. It's more that I think we leftists who thought Clinton would win, could benefit from a little self-flagellation for not seeing what was right in front of us.

It gave me a hell of a wakeup call. Before the election, I was actually mostly onboard with the Clinton-type centrism/neoliberalism.

Now I realize that stuff is loving poison and needs to be banished.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Because that suggests that Trump voters are better-off within their socioeconomic classes and more motivated by "fear of falling" than by lack of jobs.

Haven't we known this since before the election? The bulk of his supporters were pretty well off. That's why we kept mocking "economic insecurity."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm asking myself what did Obama do during his 2nd term that pissed off 25% of his white working class supporters and that Trump offered a credible enough alternative?

Not enough.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

It's almost as if people are deliberately trying to prevent any kind of conversation from happening, though I doubt that such is occurring.

Jesus loving Christ you're the worst poster and any time you show up in a thread you derail the conversation and then you have the loving gall to post poo poo like this?

Get some loving self awareness.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, WampaLord, it could be that I posted that in order to get you all to stop doing it and yet you're so obsessed with me (thank loving god I have pepper spray and a nightstick) that you're unwilling to consider whether it's a truthful statement or not. I guess you're engaging in repeated self-ownage for no humanly fathomable reason beyond a mindless bloodlust. What a shame.

Motherfucker, I have no idea who you are besides an avatar and a username. Stop being paranoid that we're all out to "get" you.

You are just a Bad Poster. Like, really bad, worse than fishmech bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh, now I remember you, you're a politoons wacko.

The gently caress does this mean? I posted in the political cartoon thread, therefore I am a wacko?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

If the GOP were able to drop the overt bigotry, but keep every other part of their platform, we would probably be looking at decades of single party rule.

loving lmao at saying this.

It's clear at this point that GOP has forgotten how to govern, and America loves to go "throw the bums out" every 4-8 years, so no, I'm not worried about a GOP perma majority.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

You'll get arrested for sharing your unbelievably vile fantasies about the former Secretary of State with one of the few Bernieists with morals, or possibly you're stupid enough to do so publicly.

I'm sure the Dr. Fishopolises of the world are wringing their hands that someone isn't responding to the constant smears of people with unending submission and cheerful forbearance, which is why all Bernieists, no matter what they may say, are equally complicit when one starts gabbling fascist propaganda or jabbering about how the Rothschilds control the Democratic Party, because all of you will justify one another.

Please seek mental help.

:therapy:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

a Nuremberg rally

Who hurt you, Brainiac Five?

:therapy:

It's not your fault.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

But he speaks Spanish!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe we could come up with a slogan like "stronger together" and elevate awesome nonwhite immigrants in our campaign to try and win them over. Like if we could find an immigrant, who's a gold star parent, who loves the constitution and who the Reublican candidate has insulted, we could really change some minds. Ooh, maybe he's a Muslim too. That would be dynamite!

Yea I remember that guy. That was a great moment, 4 months before the election. I'm sure lots of voters had it in mind on Election Day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just write a paragraph, host it somewhere, and loving link to it, Tweet chains are the most annoying loving thing to read.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian is painfully naive and trusting, as you can tell by his desire to keep being nice to JC and engaging him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

:jerkbag:

I try to be as polite as possible when debating people. Being too much of a prick doesn't usually help your case, IMO.

Plus I was a diehard centrist a few years back myself, so it's hard for me to not empathize at some level.

You show a startling lack of ability to judge when you're wasting your time. I'm trying to help you, spend less time arguing with the smug idiot and more time learning lessons about how leftists should take over the party.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

But that's not why he won the election.

JC, why do you think Obama won?

Because in my mind, the answer is "he was charismatic as gently caress and sold people on a promise of hope and change." Which is basically the opposite of how Hillary campaigned.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

So it doesn't matter that we got ratfucked because Hillary should have won anyway? gently caress that. I don't give a poo poo about exonerating her campaign, I give a poo poo about using this to tar Trump and the republicans, and learning from it as a party so this poo poo doesn't happen again. I cannot for the life of me understand how people that claim to be democrats or allies of the democratic party could possibly want to diminish this other than dumb pride about admitting that Hillary was right about something once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Everyone literally loves chocolate too.

I like this rhetorical technique of dismissing serious leftist policy options as "candy for babies."

• Locked thread