Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

FuturePastNow posted:

two year window on funding and two year window on Medicaid = they'll try a full repeal after the midterms

betcha Ryan will try moving Medicare to block grants after 2018, too

Trump is not going to let Paul Ryan jeopardize his re-election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's always a great sign when your teams talking points alternate between 1) The cbo report is completely wrong and inaccurate 2) actually the outcome the cbo describes is a good thing because...

I wonder how long until Trump senses the winds have turned and throws Paul Ryan under the bus.

Trump already came out in support of the bill, so there is no retreat. As soon as a journalist frames the question in a way that suggests defeat, he will triple down, and before you know it Tom Cotton will be calling it the gold standard of healthcare bills.

It's funny that the GOP's first order of business was to take take their total control of Washington and put it back up for grabs in 2018.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I get the feeling the bill will pass. The Freedom Caucus know they have a lot of power, so they are trying to wield that to get a few more goodies thrown in, and perhaps a commitment to deliver on some non-healthcare related items on their wishlist.

I think in the long run, its best for the Democrats, and the country, that the bill passes, people hate it, and then it gives the Democrats room to campaign on replacing Trumpcare with Medicare for all. The GOP are full of poo poo, but they are on the mark when they say Obamacare is collapsing. My brother's premiums (late 20s with no pre-existing conditions), with the maximum subsidy, are up to almost 350/month. Two more years of increases, and he is dropping out - as I imagine millions of others will. Let the Republicans own a healthcare disaster, use it to win back power, and then implement a real solution.

My biggest concern was that Trump would have only done things that would only cause noticeable harm to the average Trump voter years later, and therefore skate through re-election.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They have never had an end goal other than re-election. They especially don't have an actual goal in terms of health care policy, because caring about sick people is not something they have ever done.

I don't understand why they didn't use Trump's power of being able to reinvent reality for GOP voters to step back from the claim of repeal and replace. All Trump had to do was give a speech saying that he brought together the best healthcare experts to examine Obamacare and that it's such a disaster, that it can't even be repealed without causing harm to his voters, therefore the GOP are going to do what they have always done and fix the Democrat's mess by repairing Obamacare. gently caress Paul Ryan and what he thinks. You have control of all three branches of government because of Trump, so take control and set the agenda regardless of whatever tears flow from Paul Ryan and Rand Paul. A lot of the GOP would fall in line with whatever Trump says, he would get Democrats engaged, and people would say "Trump is not so bad, look at how he is engaging in a bipartisan way to fix healthcare".

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'd be shocked if the bill doesn't pass tomorrow. The show being put on by the Freedom Caucus is not very convincing. It's hugely entertaining to see the GOP's first act of business when in full control of Washington be to commit political suicide. All the Koch money in the world will not be able to save their majorities if anything resembling the current bill passes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

If this isn't clear evidence that they are just trolling because they can, I don't know what is.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

It's a clear setup to illustrate Trump's ability to make deals.

The bill is going to pass with votes to spare, pass in the Senate, and the House will accept the Senate's tweaks. I think it was Trump who said this is it when it comes to healthcare, and for once he was speaking the truth. The desire to do something on Obamacare, even if they find the replacement odious, is going to win out.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If Paul Ryan pulls this bill from being voted on tonight, I'm going to be pissed. I've already bought beer and chips.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/844990171691061250

Looks like Ryan is ready to go out with a whimper.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I still think the bill will pass. The GOP can't afford not to pass it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

axeil posted:

The GOP can't afford to pass this bill. The ACA was passed with lukewarm popularity and got worse over the rest of 2010 and the Dems lost a historic 60+ seats in the fall. This bill isn't even law yet and the approval rating is around 30% among Republicans. They're going to be annihilated if they pass it and that's why everyone with even half a brain in the caucus is jumping ship.

If Ryan wasn't a complete idiot he'd realize this bill is absolute poison and its passage means the end of his Speakership.

Sloober posted:

can't afford to pass it either, decisions, decisions

If you are going to be eviscerated either way, you might as well claim the scalp of Obamacare on the way down. They also need to give Trump a win and show he can get things done, even if its something terrible, for him to reciprocate on other issues. If they fail, they will probably have as adversarial a relationship with the president as they did under Obama.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

I wonder how many people wanted to vote No, but thought the HFC would sink things on their own and give them cover, and now realize they might need to step up and publicly oppose Trump.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

Uhhh, that's a quaint expression, but I'd love to see the proof that Americans have the best healthcare in the world. I'll even let you pick your own metric

For people who can afford it, you can get incredible healthcare in state of the art facilities, and often with no wait time. 11 of the 12 best hospitals in the world are in the US. For people who have great insurance, live in a big city, and enough money to not blink an eye at their deductible, there is no better place in the world to need medical care.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

My fear is Trump and Price sabotage the ACA so badly that it will be essentially repealed anyway. Then they'll offer a similar lovely plan to the AHCA that is an improvement over the heavily sabotaged ACA and try to use that as a bludgeon against the Democratic party.

If they sabotage it, they will own it. The hardcore GOP supporters may go along with blaming Democrats for it, but the Republican voters who depend on the ACA aren't going to blame a party that controls no branch of government for the sudden change in their circumstances.

The only way Trump wins on repealing ACA is by allowing it to continue unimpeded and blow up on its own, and then bring his own plan to the table. Withholding cost-sharing payments, or anything else that sabotages the law is going to turn those angry town halls into an angry anti-GOP wave.

Honestly, the best option for the Trump, the Republicans, and the country is to say that Obamacare is just a disaster that it can't be repealed without destroying healthcare, so we are going to do what we have always done and clean up the Democrat's mess and fix it. It may go against every fiber of Paul Ryan's being, but eventually they are going to realize that they are going to get hit for repealing it, they are going to get hit for replacing it with anything they find acceptable, and they are going to get hit for not doing anything. It would have made a world of difference for the GOP's attempts at sabotage if you had the Democrats in control of one branch of government so they could share the blame. Sure there will always be that 30% of the country that blames Obama for not standing up to the Mongols and allowing them to attack Europe, but the majority of the country aren't going to blame a party of bystanders.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

The only people with lower premiums will be the small group of men older than 26, but below 35ish, who don't receive employer provided coverage, are in decent health, and aren't in a position to start a family in the next few years. Unfortunately for the GOP, they are more likely to be posting in 4chan or Reddit than voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

El Rooster Diablo posted:

So what happens now? Does Trump order the government to stop reimbursements in order to manually implode the healthcare market?

I think we will see some Republicans willing to work with the Democrats to prop up Obamacare since it will remain the law of the land. I don't expect it will be anything big, but they will put just enough into the system to ensure stability.

Letting Obamacare fail is bad politics. At the end of the day the GOP is still in full control of Washington, and anything that happens will be blamed on them. If Obamacare fails and the Democrats ride a wave back into office, you can be sure they will push for solutions that are even further to the left.