Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hylian cooking for dummies:
There are some set recipes to make rice balls and cake and such, but you can cook anything and as far as I can tell the special recipes don't offer extra hearts. The only way you ruin a dish is by adding non-food items.
Food ingredients come in two forms: base (just gives hearts) and buffs (like the stamina shrooms).
Combining buff foods for different buffs (cold resist and stamina regen for example) cancel each other out, can only have one buff per food. Base and buff foods combine just fine.
Adding multiples of a buff food can increase the strength/duration of the buff.
Cooking insects with monster parts creates elixirs, which generally have stronger buffs but fewer hearts healed (though the details depend on what food/insects you happen to have).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Since both my wife and son are interested in this game I was thinking of getting them the Wii U version. Do anyone have some experience with it? I take it that it's less impressive in the graphics department but is it a decent version otherwise?

The only time you'll really notice a graphics difference is if you compare them side by side. The FPS apparently drops a bit more than Switch in some areas (I haven't noticed, but I'm not very sensitive to that sort of thing). The main thing I've noticed is that when I hit a moblin with a two-handed weapon's second swing, the light show, knockback and enemy ragdoll cause the game to stutter very badly, particularly in areas with other visual effects like Death Mountain. I have no clue if that happens on Switch too.

Gameplay-wise, the two versions are identical.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

2) The original Pokemon game was developed by Satoshi Tajiri as a way to share the fun he had as a kid going out bug-catching with a generation that stayed indoors more.

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to visiting my grandparents in Chicago and catching fireflies at night. Then getting incredibly self-conscious about the noise we made when I realized that our shrieks of glee had been echoing off the walls of their apartment complex and probably bothered the neighbors.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Riazer posted:

One solution for the chest is to jump on top of the lamp and glide from there.

Or going from the mummy platform. It's further, but there's just enough height to matter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

What can you do with those giant swarms of Keese, anyhow? Toss a bomb and go redneck sky fishing?

I like to use the 2-hander charge attack and engage cuisenart mode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

vdate posted:

I will say that even one play session gave me new sympathy for your collective level of distractability because I found myself doing the same thing, repeatedly. Even when I told myself I'd get right to the point - but ooh what's that through that log tunnel?

Yup, this game does that. The koroks really add to that, even in the "empty" spots there's usually something to discover. Some reason to climb that tree, or see what's up a mountain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just for the record a tip: barring distractions I'd suggest aiming for the main quest through Kakariko and the town they point you to after that. After that you're free to go and do whatever (and can beforehand), but that's the last few "functionality unlocks" that may be handy for you (or maybe not).

And I *think* that hitting trees or ore with weapons hurts their durability, which is why I keep a Woodsman's Axe and an Iron Hammer around. Or maybe those two items just have large durability. Main thing I know is that I can mine all day and replace it much less often.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 28, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

I like that Link has variable chest-opening animations based on what angle you come up to a chest on. Like he'll go for the lock if you come at it head-on, or boot it from the side.

From my extensive chest-opening, I think it's just the two options. Makes sense, though it would be fun if he did that thing where you bend over a chest to get to the open side and then try to figure out how to make physics work right to avoid needing to walk around it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When in doubt with a horse, hit the comfort button if controls get weird.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I really like the backstory here. It's like 10000 years ago a somebody realized that since this Ganon guy keeps coming back it might be better to prepare or it rather than leave it all up to two teenagers and then somebody else realized that we've got these blueprints for death lasers and they put two and two together. The rest, as they say, is history.

It might also be because I'm a sucker for the whole techno-magical thing that this game's got going.

I also like that they discovered these and tried to do the same thing 100 years ago, but Ganon had had 10000 years to think of a different plan.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, memory hunting. The Dueling Peaks one took me a while because I underestimated just how far away you could see things in this game.
*does a shrine teaching all about dodging* "man this moblin has reach I can't get close"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ricdesi posted:

It's SUPER disorienting, in a weird way. You think "oh, I gotta be close" and then it's ten minutes of walking in a straight line still not being anywhere near where you need to be. Had to briefly explain how perspective works while looking for one of them (still haven't found it, we're letting the memories take a bit of a backseat for now as we explore).

That's how you do it pretty much. I tended to note one easy-to-remember thing about each ("red rocks", "oasis", "long bridge" et cetera) just so that when I came to the ballpark of one I'd remember, then went on with my business. The first one's the important one for Impa's gift, the rest are story.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lynel are quite doable once you get used to them (particularly once you manage to kill one and get lynel weapons to use on the next one), but they are absolute monsters until that point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A couple of notes from the videos:
--On the quest log, the R stick will switch between main quests (those aren't gonna change much from what you have), shrine quests (quests that end in a shrine, either as a puzzle or someone saying "I heard there's something off in that lagoon but it's so far away I can't be arsed to check"), sidequests (cucco gathering, et cetera, there's a bunch of these usually found in towns or stables that can be handy to give some direction to the faffing about) and cutscenes.
--You guys said "we should find a shrine here before we leave", climbed a ridge, saw a shrine, then turned around and went home. That happens in this game even when it's just ONE person playing, but I gotta rag on ya for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

savixeon posted:

The trials of strength are a lot easier when you use the combat mechanics you were taught. Also the laser fest when the guardian scout was near death is easier to dodge if you get up close to it and run in circles around it.

Yeah. All the guardian attacks are telegraphed pretty heavily, and the third phase is a bit of a damage race or you can shoot its eye to stun it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Section Z posted:

Oddly enough, I just get the 'you made a headshot!' ding without it actually stunning them when they go full turret spam final phase.

So I just lazily walk in circles around them without bothering to parry or "just shoot them in the eye!" now, after the Nth time getting the 'you made a headshot!' confrimation noise multiple times in a row did gently caress all to them in the third phase while fighting the hard mode test bots.

I may be remembering wrong, usually I have a good enough weapon to just damage race em. two-hander spin to win.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dodging depends on the attack. A side-swing can be dodged with a backflip, and front attacks can be dodged with a sidestep.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yup, Sidon cut his way out of an Octorok from the inside. There's another tablet for the king which confirms that Zora are f**** hardcore in this iteration. If they could touch shock arrows, they wouldn't need you at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

From 23:40 in the last video (72) you're not imagining things. For some reason ragdolling moblins in this part of Death Mountain stutters the game on both WiiU and Switch. Happens in a few other places on WiiU, just often enough to say "oh this again", no clue if Switch does those as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well done on the bomb for that boss, it was the last thing I tried against him. I assumed it was a tennis match and kept trying to hit the fireball. Doesn't work.

Edit: the cutscenes have shown the champions in full control of the divine beasts, they worked everything out before hand. The -blight Ganons snuck up on them when they were focusing on Calamity Ganon, ganked them and took over the beasts themselves.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 26, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are there any stores that let you upgrade bombs or weapons?

No. There's that bomb upgrade at the laboratory but that's it. And weapons are supposed to be ephemeral so upgrading them would make folks get too attached.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Whenever I tried that trick for the third orb, I clipped through the guy. So I just shot it off with an arrow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you liked Eventide, get the LDC. The labyrinths are fun in their own way but not the same beast. There's also a neat trial north of the korok forest (you need to go a different way to reach it because of the forest rebooting you, but that's the best descriptor)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Other ways to do the blue fire:
--bring a torch! They don't burn up.
--Throwing a torch or burning weapon will leave the blue fire burning, so you could throw it over that fallen pillar.
--Light an arrow on the blue fire, then shoot it at the next torch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

I was wondering if that'd work, but then I remembered that one door in Vah Rudania. Seems like you could skip about half the lanterns with a good enough shot.

Hmm, now that you mention it I'm not positive. I figure since you can light weapons with blue fire from a lamp it'd work the same, but we know that blue fire turns into normal fire when it burns stuff. I just assumed on that one.

I do know for sure that throwing a torch leaves it lit. That's what I used to get around faster.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You pronounce challah wrong, in hebrew ch is pronounced kinda like the ch in a bad Scottich "ach" impression. Pedant Man awayyyyyyyy...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's nice to see someone doing the spiral legit, since I solved it by way of Stasis and a hammer. In fact, a surprising amount of puzzles get a lot easier if you think of Hyrule as an oversize golf course.

Including combat "puzzles" if you're near water fighting non-lizalfos. Ring-out victory.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Basic comedy protocol: read the room, pitch to the audience, if you flub accept it and move on. Even the pros in a venue they know by heart might only land 80%.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I wanted to make some comment when I watched Bone Desert last night, but I've forgotten what it was so pretend I said something insightful.

Edit: Ah yes! The giant (non-animated) skeletons are called Leviathans in the game. Three of them have intact skulls that let you kinda guess what they're supposed to be references to.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Elixir Syndrome is a major hurdle with this game. Once you manage to accept the transitory nature of weapons a lot of the fun opens up IMO.

• Locked thread