Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

this game wont be as good as tales of berseria

You're right it will be far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You can pet the cat and also go to the movies with the cat.

Watch videos with the cat.

Exercise with the cat.

Be humiliated by the cat

Yes. Yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

senpai is a word normal japanese person use

if it bothers you hearing yuri lowenthal say it, tho, just use jp audio so it sounds more natural

There are a lot of dubs that default to a Japanese word when there's really no need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo :v:

But I think Atlus is right to just stick the senpai in there english or no english. I don't think there's a good english equivalent that would flow better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

This is a really good book, actually, and people should read it.

A lot of translations from Japanese sound really clunky because the lines just lose a lot of subtleties. For example, in Your Name, one scene goes "watashi" -> "watakushi" -> "boku?" -> "ore.." which is a funny joke in Japanese because it goes from neutral formal -> feminine formal -> masculine informal -> masculine casual/rude, which is what you would expect a high school boy to use with his friends. But how are you going to translate that to English?

And while senpai is just a normal word in Japanese, continued use in normal conversation keeps the relative position of the speakers in mind, whereas transitioning to a first-name basis in Japanese tells you there's a shift. How would you go about doing this in English?

Another example that comes to mind is in FFXV when someone says "I see the sea!" which is a literal translation of the Japanese line, but would be better as "Check it out, it's the ocean!" or something.

It's almost as if, when you have a very complex artistic medium like a voiced video game, that it is almost impossible to out-do the original language.

I wouldn't go that far. It just goes to show exactly why they aren't called translators, they're called localizers, and their job often involves fairly dramatic rewrites or creating completely different lines that simply have a similar tone.

Good localization is in fact hard.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So Morganna is actually male? Do cats not know how names work

The most cat appropriate answer would be "they know they just don't care".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

...Or Mara.

Right hand x Mara is every goons OTP irl they don't need Nocturne for that

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

It feels like they made a few really smart realizations after the way the S Link system played out in Persona 3. Basically, it seems like when they were designing the first iteration, their intent was that different players would have very different experiences with the social aspect of the game and that nobody was supposed to max every S Link or see everything in one playthrough. So you had some agonizingly slow ones to advance, reversals, a really tight timeframe for a perfect run, and nothing that feels essential - i.e. party member Persona evolutions - gated behind S Links. The problem was that a lot of people missed a ton of content, and you had two play philosophies emerge: people who just sort of did whatever with S Links and didn't bother explicitly maxing more than one or two for their ultimate personas, and people who followed an exhaustive guide methodically to the letter.

Persona 4 seemed to embrace a totally different design philosophy, one that anybody who planned well and made smart choices could do a perfect or near-perfect run on their first playthrough, so that more players would get to see more of the game content they spent time writing. In return, they gated some more important game mechanics behind S Links, because it seemed more reasonable that every player would at least max several party members' and a few others besides, which made finishing your S Links feel more rewarding. Maxing lots of S Links was a much more realistic goal for a casual player, and a serious one could reasonably have a perfect run without using a guide.

Basically it's the same mechanic, but it feels like it has a different role and different consequences by design. It seems to me like 5 continues in the direction of 4.

I'm glad to hear it. The idea of playing according to a guide is totally abhorrent to me so Persona 4 was a nice balance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

I cannot possibly roll my eyes any harder

I rolled my eyes so hard they flew out of my skull

Please call 911

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

alright now that i platinumed nier i can be ready for this game

also how does anyone lookat this cast and not sjust know motorcycle girl is best girl

Haru:

A) uses axes and grenade launchers

B) has mega style, drinks tea after horribly maiming supernatural manifestations of the collective unconscious of all mankind

C) uses axes and grenade launchers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

From what little we've seen, Anne's english VA seems really good.

I like most of the English VA cast well enough but Anne and Yusuke are the standout performances.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

good news, you can swap people out mid battle like ffx

The gently caress why isn't this in the list of gameplay changes in the OP this rules :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That is not the list of combat changes but it is in the OP so we're both half wrong here :colbert:

Still, that's pretty cool. I guess she's gonna be an important S-Link then.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nier is a really good/well-made game, even if it doesn't really interest me much personally. I am glad it exists.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Arist posted:

I don't think a lot of the people here who have already played this game are so hot on P4 anymore. I mean, I still love it, but the Megaten thread at large is a little sick of that game.

Aw man is it no longer hip and with it to like Persona 4

Am I the olds? Am I...gauche???

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

P4 in a vacuum is better than P3. P5, both inside and out of the vacuum is better than both P4 and P3 combined. However with all the spinoff stuff we've gotten over the last 8 years its hard not to grow to resent the P4 cast. If you ignore the 8 years of spin offs we've gotten as well as 8 years of discussion about the game it's hard to not grow tired of a cast the way we have with the P4 cast. I think P5 will be a refreshing installment in the series and afterwards I'll probably go back through and play P3 and P4 again to appreciate both of them for what they've done to make P5 what it is

I sometimes forget that a lot of people didn't just ignore all the gratuitous spinoffs.

I WAS worried for a while that with how hard they were milking the P4 cow that Persona 5 wouldn't wind up being a truly standalone product, like its predecessors, but things turned out fine. Persona 4 is still a good game, even if they did spend 8 years rehashing the same goddamn character arcs over and over again in different games.

Captain Baal posted:

Stop asking for it, you're not getting it. It's a step forward they even let you date older women, let alone have adults mean anything in the cast. Even some people would debate if that were a step forward.

Eh, can't begrudge anyone being frustrated with the fixation on high school, even if Persona does a better job of making it not seem as out of place.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Catherine is not Persona, it was an experimental game that sold pretty decently. Persona is their big moneymaker hit where the high schoolers and the high school setting is a big deal to a ton of people, they are not dropping that unless something big happens that would make them see that change as necessary.

You don't really need to post why it's not going to happen. I don't think anyone here is under any illusions that it will (you're right, it won't) happen just expressing frustration that it could without destroying the franchise.

Let 'em. It's not doing any harm.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah, lemme tell you how much I don't want to keep my progress on the compendium or get the secret bosses because Atlus can't give you a feature that skips you to a certain point in the game and save you some time. Like it ain't too bad because cutscene skip is really fast and a good portion of the game's opening cutscenes are event cutscenes that can be outright skipped, but it's still annoying as poo poo to get through.

Uh, the game literally opens teaching you about every mechanic and then pulls through a lengthy tutorial to re-explain all of the mechanics and it only gives you stealth halfway through the first dungeon, not after you decide to be the Phantom Thieves.

It's a loving great game, but yeah. The game is not gonna be everything you want it to be. When it's good though, oh my god it's so loving good and that's more often than not.

But what if it is Baal, what then

What if it is everything I want it to be huh

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

it's weird to think koro is a joke character who "annihilates the game's tone", while having no issue with a cute robot teenager who learns how to love and a wise 10 year old

To be fair, Persona 3 would have also been better off without either of those characters yeah.

Take all the effort that went into Aigis and Ken and put it in Koromaru content instead, then we'd be good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tae posted:

So I've listened to an actual run through of english persona 5, and this is hot hot take as someone that's never really listened to the japanese outside of snippets:
-Joker sounds at times like Vergil from DMC which is weird.
-The NPCs are good
-The first villain is so slimy that I love it
-I really like Ryuji. He's got that attitude of being pissed off without going overboard except in real big moments
-Ann is fantastic. I would say a stronger performance than any of the previous Persona girls in consistency.
-Morgana is adorable but definitely not remotely annoying other than if you really just hate the concepts of animals talking.
-I keep mistaking Yusuke for Crispin Freeman sometimes.

The weird pronunciations of names is everywhere, though but I guess that's a trade-off if chan/sama/kun drove you nuts.

It's not a high bar, but way higher quality than Berseria and FF15 which had major problems of NPCs being far below par or using completely weird accents out of nowhere.

Would you rate it as better, worse, or about the same overall relative to the P4 english?

The Japanese voice work means nothing to me because gently caress, it's not like I have any meaningful way to tell if it's a good performance anyway.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tae posted:

I won't really say until all the main characters are together.

And I think I just saw my first -San, so they're not gone, they're just less common.

First sighting of Goro the detective. I like his style. Definitely a "charismatic" proclaimed guy.

edit: Makoto is...how do I explain this. It's the same feeling as Chie in OG P4 in that everyone has that anime-esque quality dub and suddenly here comes this person that sounds very different from everyone else.

That could mean almost anything.

Also you're killing me with your non-committal answers Tae. Killing me. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morgana is a Magic Crime Cat who I can watch movies with and who smokes a cigar in a bond villain chair after an All Out Attack. I can't think of anything else I could really need to know or care about in light of all that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Holy moley, just watching the Giant Bomb quick look of the first hour and twenty minutes, and how they set up the story was already wearing super thin by like the midway point of that; Every single person acting like a massive piece of poo poo and treating a teenage boy who punched a rapist in the face and saved a woman as some kind of hard-bitten criminal was driving me insane. I'm assuming there's a bunch of catharsis and vindication as things go on story-wise, or at least I hope so anyway.

Not that it's ultimately a bad thing, just an observation. Seems like a good excuse to act like a dickhead yourself with the dialogue choices.

Hm yes but consider that the police would probably not arrest someone unless they'd done something wrong, did you ever think of that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

treating anyone with even a mild criminal record like a leper isn't unique to japan

It is not no, and he should have communicated it in a more sober and nuanced fashion, but it is true that Japan has more hangups than most on that particular topic.

Which is, of course, the point of the main character being treated like that. To draw attention to a hosed up thing that happens. Beep boop I have now dissected the frog.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yes hello I am an expert on Japan due to my consumption of anime and JRPGs and I can tell you that Personas stance of largely ignoring gay people and occasionally cracking a lovely joke is very regressive even relative to mainstream Japanese discourse on sexuality. It is shameful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Moltrey posted:

oh poo poo, guys help ive been labeled as a smuggler and am dragged away to go live with some sort of a family friend in tokyo where i'll have to repeat high school help!!

thou art i and i am thou stick your hand in the tv do it do it do it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

My MC shall ignore the cat and party until the early hours.

Your Courage wasn't high enough to say that to the cat...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah I might be hosed as well. Didn't think to update my out of date card from ordering an entire goddamn year ago, imagine that, and that cost me release day shipping as an option on Amazon? We'll see. There's a distribution center literally right next to me :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Anybody know of a good lightweight Social Link guide for this game? Mostly looking for something to have on hand for picking the right dialogue options and reminding myself when people are available, not a full game "DO THINGS JUST SO" guide.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

imagine if donald trump got sick and didn't run in 2020, mike pence served two terms, then trump ran in 2028 and won, and you'd have an understanding of how a lot of more liberal japanese people feel.

Is there an option for me not to imagine that :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cool now my PS4 is acting super sluggish and randomly ejecting the disc this is definitely what I need :ughh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I love Arsene's goddamn maniacal cackling so much

Feels good to have an inner super villain made manifest :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I had a Big laugh when you go to meet the airsoft guy and hes like "I dont need a bunch of kids spreading rumors and talking to the police" and one of the dialouge responses was "We hate the police"

I am very mad that that dialogue option wasn't translated as "Yo gently caress the police"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bewilderment posted:

This info is in the online manual too.
So anyone saying demon negotiation is random is dumb for not checking the demon personality before knocking it down.

To be fair, assessing which answer counts as Kind for a Timid Shadow or Serious to an Irritable Shadow is so arcane it might as well be loving random.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So is Makoto basically who the game assumes is the default waifu kind of like Rise in 4

I'm kinda getting that vibe from her scenes so far

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Makoto is basically the default love interest, yes.

That's cool. It doesn't bother me one way more or the other, just idly curious if I was reading it right :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JT Jag posted:

You can't do your bro Morgana dirty like this

But on the other hand

Hell yes I can

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

Ann's S-link is kinda bleh and that soured me on her a bit.

She's still okay, but she really drops out of prominence in the story as soon as Makoto comes in.

Even Morgana isn't as obsessive about her. Though goddamn I think I need to switch her out of my battle party because his line about her being beautiful is driving me up the wall.

This is fair. I like Ann, she's cool, but her slink is very whatever. Beep boop traditional femininity stuff. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm going to be honest, guys: I don't know which girl to date.

My inner hipster won't let me go for Makoto please send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's a lot of girls so i'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm gonna send you like five long text mesage chains before the month is out about how we can't be sure I'll be fine.

I mean I probably will be but WHAT IF???