Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my joker/makoto coffeeshop au where makoto comes in every day to read the newspaper, click her tongue, and go 'you know, im not saying they SHOULD have shot him, just that when you're being detained by police you shouldn't resist'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

Haru is actually really good so it's great she's the character Atlus chose to cram into the last 1/5th of the game.
i actually like haru too but her relationship with most of the rest of the party is pretty boring, if that makes sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stroth posted:

I mean... it is an improvement. I'll give them that. It's still not good, but for something coming out of Japan it's legitimately better than I would expect.
the japanese aren't backwards homophobes with no understanding of social norms relating to gay people

there is a vibrant community of gay artists in japan

there are plenty of mainstream creators in japan who show empathy and understanding towards gay people both in their work and personal conduct, even if they don't belong to that community

japan is not uniquely worse than america in this regard

when you say stuff like this you're both demeaning all those people and giving poo poo like this a pass

here is an interview with a japanese transwoman who makes indie games i'd advise you to read.

quote:

With last year’s game, The Missing, there was a lot of western commentary that was along the lines of “it’s great to see something so thoughtful and sensitive about LGBT+ issues from a dev in Japan, which struggles with those issues,” as though we don’t have the same issues.

Oh that’s…. not a great way of framing it.

It’s a very very common framing here. There’s multiple variations on the same thing from different outlets, on top of the way it gets casually deployed in conversation.

I mean, I can list very many media in English that aren’t great about LGBT+ rep and very many issues my LGBT+ friends living in North America and Europe have.

There’s very little acknowledgement of the difference in problems and positive aspects.

I think it’s just a very different set of problems. There are also a lot of very good Japanese media with LGBT+ rep. It’s just that sometimes these aren’t translated.

quote:

But I mean, that’s just it – we get great LGBT+ rep in some media and we get awful in some others, and we get people fighting for equal rights (like gay marriage) while we also get politicians saying women are causing witch hunts with MeToo.

But that’s just how things are in, say, America, aren’t they?

You wouldn’t have to change a word.

I think it’s… unfair isn’t the right word, but online, the rhetoric is often very dominated by American citizens. People from the U.S. dictate whether something is ‘good rep’ or something is ‘bad rep,’ if something is ‘problematic’ or not.

There’s a tendency here to buy into the idea that we lead the way on everything, even by progressive leaning people.

Criticize this kind of thing as the exceptionally stupid poo poo that it is, don't write off an entire country's art and the beautiful, brilliant stuff it's created because an AAA game had lovely side characters in it. Marvel's had bad gay/trans rep this year and saying it's 'better than I'd expect from America' would be ludicrous.

I'm sorry if I seem mad about this but as a gay person who's barely ever felt seen by western gay art but has gotten a ton out of stuff coming out of Japan, this sorta response is intensely frustrating.

in conclusion, 'so, wanna go out, or' is a good manga

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

switch has pretty bad load times generally compared to disc based games, its something i noticed in a fair few games. seems like just an issue of the hardware. maybe its the weird carts they use, though traditionally carts have been better about load times, not worse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I actually read a pretty interesting take on Erica from Catherine from a trans woman who praised the character for not being defined by her trans-ness or trauma. Even the weird comments she gets from the rest of the group were explained as both "Vincent's a dick" and "while it sucks it's kind of realistic in that regard." One of the main sticking points was the game resisting the impulse to show her pre-transition. And then, in a classic Hashino move, guess what they do in Full Body, lmao
In OG catherine Erica is mishandled a lot but there was a clear intent to have her be a character of some value. You can kinda get something out of her

Then, yeah, full body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the battle packs are boss fights against yu and minato, i think