Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ps4 has, in the past 6 months, amassed the greatest library of jrpgs that's ever existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weird thing is rina sato has a pretty deep voice in berseria. i wonder if they just directed her to not sound too intimidating in p5 or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

It seems like you have any bass in your voice as a woman voice actor in Japan, you're probably never going to play the lead and usually regulated to villains, creatures, grandmas or background noise these. Well, same with anime dubs actresses.
lol, yeah, there aren't a ton of insanely successful deep-voiced female voice actors in japan <---- a person who knows what they're talking about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is this the part of the thread where I can gush about Miyuki Sawashiro? I'll take any excuse.
yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

soichiro hoshi is in symphogear, which grants him immunity to ever being criticized

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I just want to hear Laura Bailey in everything and I'm sad that she seems to have dialed back her roles lately.

laura bailey's in stuff, she just isn't in anime stuff anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Don't forget the Smash 4 announcer as the protag

xander mobius is really boring when he isn't doing the smash 4 announcer voice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Was the SAG strike happening during the dub for this game? Probably not since Matt Mercer is voicing a character in the game and he's not using an alias.
anime voice actors are non-union anyway, it wouldn't matter if the strike was going on or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's both, op.

The cast are relative newcomers, but they've been around for 2-4 years. there's a lot of crossover with the neptunia and tales of dubs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fish is unironically his best non-announcer performance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

polygon review is up. 9/10. big criticisms were that they didn't find the s. links that engaging and lack of gay romance/a couple of dumb gay jokes. <--- nobody freak out about that one because it's a pretty valid criticism in a game about how adults ruin everything for kids.

8.5/10 from jim sterling.

9.7/10 from ign.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 29, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

I'm totally freaking out about that one
drat!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

You even have a fansite (dubbed “The Phan-site”),

the tl is good, ive decided

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Norns posted:

Neogaf is real loving strange about review scores. Like some of those dudes take anything less than 9 as an attack on a game.

it's pretty much just about validating their own opinions. they see something less than a 9 not as an attack on the game, but as an attack on them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when undertale won that gamefaqs best game ever contest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twilight princess is like a 6.5/10

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Is Haru a bad character like how Ken is a bad character, or a bad character like how goons don't like Ai even though she is the secret best character.
i think he just finds haru boring, not annoying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shogi girl should have been a party member

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Japan is dumb about many things. This is one of them. It's a side effect of their cultural dumbness.
treating anyone with even a mild criminal record like a leper isn't unique to japan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the woman who you saved changed her testimony so that it didn't seem like you saved her and instead just assaulted the guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are bad endings for when you fail the various dungeons, but this game doesn't have p4's normal/good/true ending split.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Keeps his head down and acts quiet and well-mannered, but is secretly pretty sly and cunning. Cocky and confident when he gets the chance to be, and has a real flair of showmanship and is willing to do even dangerous things if it makes him look cool. Shogi girl says he'd be better suited to poker than shogi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the no ps4 share thing is dumb but like every other major release does it these days

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Why do so many companies block PS4 share anyways? It seems so pointless.

because oh no, spoilers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I need to share MY version of the final Sun Slink even though it's a visual novel that is 100% word for word the same as literally every other version on the internet.
what a weird post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

This seems like a good time to mention that I'm unironically mad about this game's gender politics.
this seems like a good time to mention that i unironically want to gently caress tae takami, sadayo kawakami, and sae niijima

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Japanese pop-culture thinks that gay people are an insane caricature or inherently funny.
it doesn't. persona is just uniquely bad about it. there's plenty of mainstream jp stuff that treats gay people okay or even well. persona is just regressive in its politics when it comes to sexuality, even by japanese standards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not saying there's literally no other works in japan that are bad about this kind of thing or that persona is way below the standard - there's stuff that's way more regressive than it -, but i am saying it is worse than the average jrpg about this kind of thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay so even by that standard persona 4 and 5 are worse than usual because there are no lesbians in them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can i have one of them date ann and the other date futaba

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Dryzen requested I inform you about my soon to be sore rear end from the diablo sauce I am pouring on my taco bell food.
your rear end is, at best, lesbian *said like im spitting venom* friendly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you didnt answer if the lesbian npcs can date futaba or not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

How is futaba pronounced because is it supposed to rhyme with alibaba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0p0_ztUnc&t=11s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, Endorph, you can't. Unfortunately the same applies to most JRPGs so I'm curious where the uniquely bad element is here.
i should have said 'worse than usual' instead of 'unique' but sometimes when im firing posts out into all ur hearts sometimes the word choice isn't really thought through

Captain Baal posted:

In Japanese they would rhyme because of how quick the syllables are said, but in English they're not gonna sound exactly the same
futaba anzu is better than futaba sakura anyway

Arist posted:

A work only having lesbians in it at this point honestly isn't that progressive either if they're just blatant fanservice.
the prob. is one person looks at lesbians making out and sees blatant fanservice and another person looks at it and sees representation that they're happy with. this is fine as all people have different views and opinions on sexuality/gender and how it should be depicted but when the former is a straight dude and the latter is a lesbian and they have an argument about it, it gets weird.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 31, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Makin' a lot of assumptions here.
i was not talking about you. i dont mean that in a lovely way i mean that sincerely, i can see how you'd get that impression but i was just talking generally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no worries, this kind of thing can get heated in general and i can get that. for what it's worth even when i disagree with you i think you're usually pretty good at explaining yourself and coming from a sincere place so dont take this as me trying to own you or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked her performance as magilou but im still mad about the lack of an accent. that's a direction/localization thing and not an acting thing tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the late game stuff is probably the hardest just because it's when the game starts throwing around midbosses with huge health pools and instant death spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also not looking forward to all the hot takes about trump wrt this game, especially when so much of it is just copy/pasted from japanese headlines