Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

90% of the female links are dateable.
This seems like a good time to mention that I'm unironically mad about this game's gender politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

This seems like a good time to mention that I'm unironically mad about this game's gender politics.
this seems like a good time to mention that i unironically want to gently caress tae takami, sadayo kawakami, and sae niijima

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Oh yeah P4-5 have terrible gender and sexuality politics, it's really one of the big things that mar my love for the series. Unfortunately Japanese pop-culture and whomever took over writing from Satomi Tadashi thinks that gay people are an insane caricature or inherently funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Japanese pop-culture thinks that gay people are an insane caricature or inherently funny.
it doesn't. persona is just uniquely bad about it. there's plenty of mainstream jp stuff that treats gay people okay or even well. persona is just regressive in its politics when it comes to sexuality, even by japanese standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

it doesn't. persona is just uniquely bad about it. there's plenty of mainstream jp stuff that treats gay people okay or even well. persona is just regressive in its politics when it comes to sexuality, even by japanese standards.

Yeah, that's pretty bullshit. There are works in Japan that are gay-friendly but there's a lot more that take the exact same attitude or significantly worse, and an uncomfortable number that are only gay friendly because it lets them draw girls kissing while they treat gay men like poo poo. There's plenty of room to criticize Persona but when you start pulling "no, it's UNIQUELY BAD even for Japan" then you're tossing out some bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not saying there's literally no other works in japan that are bad about this kind of thing or that persona is way below the standard - there's stuff that's way more regressive than it -, but i am saying it is worse than the average jrpg about this kind of thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

im not saying there's literally no other works in japan that are bad about this kind of thing or that persona is way below the standard - there's stuff that's way more regressive than it -, but i am saying it is worse than the average jrpg about this kind of thing.

That is in fact what uniquely bad means, Endorph.

And no, that's pretty bullshit. JRPGs at best are lesbian friendly. The number of JRPGs that actually acknowledge gay men exist, let alone don't portray them as hedonists, monsters, or other offensive stereotypes is pretty goddamn rock bottom. There are ones that do but they are few and far between and almost exclusively with minor side characters who most people even miss existing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay so even by that standard persona 4 and 5 are worse than usual because there are no lesbians in them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

okay so even by that standard persona 4 and 5 are worse than usual because there are no lesbians in them

I'm pretty sure there are in fact lesbian NPCs in Persona 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can i have one of them date ann and the other date futaba

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dryzen requested I inform you about my soon to be sore rear end from the diablo sauce I am pouring on my taco bell food.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Dryzen requested I inform you about my soon to be sore rear end from the diablo sauce I am pouring on my taco bell food.
your rear end is, at best, lesbian *said like im spitting venom* friendly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Oh, I'm sorry Endorph, are you doing the thing where you have a whiny snitfit and then get angry when you're treated the same way?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

His rear end accommodates all people no matter their race, sexuality, or religion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you didnt answer if the lesbian npcs can date futaba or not

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How is futaba pronounced because is it supposed to rhyme with alibaba

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

you didnt answer if the lesbian npcs can date futaba or not

No, Endorph, you can't. Unfortunately the same applies to most JRPGs so I'm curious where the uniquely bad element is here.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's kind of disappointing that Persona doesn't handle LGBTQ stuff better. Persona 4 had two characters perfect for it. One hated the masculine and feminine views in Japan and the other was straight-up fed up with the institutionalized sexism. One wanted just to make cute dolls and other things and the other wanted to be respected for doing the job any man could. You'd think people writing about that would have a bit more progressive or open views on homosexuality.

Yakuza suffers from the same thing. Except it's with women. And I say this as someone who freaking loves Yakuza 0.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0p0_ztUnc&t=11s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

In Japanese they would rhyme because of how quick the syllables are said, but in English they're not gonna sound exactly the same

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yes hello I am an expert on Japan due to my consumption of anime and JRPGs and I can tell you that Personas stance of largely ignoring gay people and occasionally cracking a lovely joke is very regressive even relative to mainstream Japanese discourse on sexuality. It is shameful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A work only having lesbians in it at this point honestly isn't that progressive either if they're just blatant fanservice. I'd honestly dock points before I'd hand them out if it seems like the only gay-friendly thing in a game is "the ladies kiss." Not that I'm some arbiter of acceptable gayness or whatever.

Nier handled it pretty well though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, Endorph, you can't. Unfortunately the same applies to most JRPGs so I'm curious where the uniquely bad element is here.
i should have said 'worse than usual' instead of 'unique' but sometimes when im firing posts out into all ur hearts sometimes the word choice isn't really thought through

Captain Baal posted:

In Japanese they would rhyme because of how quick the syllables are said, but in English they're not gonna sound exactly the same
futaba anzu is better than futaba sakura anyway

Arist posted:

A work only having lesbians in it at this point honestly isn't that progressive either if they're just blatant fanservice.
the prob. is one person looks at lesbians making out and sees blatant fanservice and another person looks at it and sees representation that they're happy with. this is fine as all people have different views and opinions on sexuality/gender and how it should be depicted but when the former is a straight dude and the latter is a lesbian and they have an argument about it, it gets weird.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 31, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also yes, it was Alibaba in Japanese too

One of the best parts of the JP version is hearing Morgana say ALIBABA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the prob. is one person looks at lesbians making out and sees blatant fanservice and another person looks at it and sees representation that they're happy with. this is fine as all people have different views and opinions on sexuality/gender and how it should be depicted but when the former is a straight dude and the latter is a lesbian and they have an argument about it, it gets weird.

Makin' a lot of assumptions here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Makin' a lot of assumptions here.
i was not talking about you. i dont mean that in a lovely way i mean that sincerely, i can see how you'd get that impression but i was just talking generally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i was not talking about you. i dont mean that in a lovely way i mean that sincerely, i can see how you'd get that impression but i was just talking generally.

Fair enough, I misread!

Edit: Also I'm sorry if I came across as a dick because I didn't mean to. I read back over my earlier posts and they're infinitely more heated than I intended. I think I'm pissed off about other stuff and let it bleed through. Sorry both to you and to the thread for making a thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 31, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no worries, this kind of thing can get heated in general and i can get that. for what it's worth even when i disagree with you i think you're usually pretty good at explaining yourself and coming from a sincere place so dont take this as me trying to own you or whatever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was wondering why Futaba sounded familiar, and it turns out she was in the other jrpgs I played the past 2 months. Busy girl.

I'm surprised at how she sounds, I expected a lot more erratic and higher pitch, but she's basically Magilou at 75% which is nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

no worries, this kind of thing can get heated in general and i can get that. for what it's worth even when i disagree with you i think you're usually pretty good at explaining yourself and coming from a sincere place so dont take this as me trying to own you or whatever.

All good. Sorry again.

Tae posted:

I was wondering why Futaba sounded familiar, and it turns out she was in the other jrpgs I played the past 2 months. Busy girl.

I'm surprised at how she sounds, I expected a lot more erratic and higher pitch, but she's basically Magilou at 75% which is nice.

Huh, that's who they got for her? I haven't been paying attention but that sounds like a good choice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that's who they got for her? I haven't been paying attention but that sounds like a good choice.

Magilou's so good, haven't heard much of her Futaba voice but Erica Lindbeck's pretty great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked her performance as magilou but im still mad about the lack of an accent. that's a direction/localization thing and not an acting thing tho.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They probably didn't have any gay scenes to meet its 15+ rating in Japan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I would say, as someone that's incredibly picky because of background in doing grunt dub audio scrubwork, the P5 cast has been absolutely fantastic.

The only, only person I hesitate on so far (After just getting Futaba) is Ichiko and I can't tell if Amanda Win Lee is supposed to be drunk or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Erica Lindbeck as Futaba was one of the voice choices I liked actually, because she's v good even if I was introduced to her through a... questionable video game.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

this seems like a good time to mention that i unironically want to gently caress tae takami, sadayo kawakami, and sae niijima

same except haru instead of sae

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So can anyone who's playing now/played the JP version comment on what difficulty levels are available and how they compare to P4? Is P5 like P4 in that the beginning of the game is the hardest part because all your personas are poo poo?

I know P4 wasn't a hugely difficult game but I'm curious if I should just start on Hard or whatever they're calling it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the late game stuff is probably the hardest just because it's when the game starts throwing around midbosses with huge health pools and instant death spells

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So can anyone who's playing now/played the JP version comment on what difficulty levels are available and how they compare to P4? Is P5 like P4 in that the beginning of the game is the hardest part because all your personas are poo poo?

I know P4 wasn't a hugely difficult game but I'm curious if I should just start on Hard or whatever they're calling it.

The early game is the hardest because your resources are your most compromised at that point, but the first boss is beyond piss easy. You will struggle more with keeping your resources afloat for an entire dungeon crawl than you will with any enemies in the game. Mind you, you will sometimes have your MC killed out of nowhere and that is basically all of the game's difficulty. None of the bosses in particular are difficult except maybe the secret boss who I never got around to fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
drinking your like five 1000yen soda for 10SP a can and barely having any money for stat raising poo poo is extremely Persona these days

Captain Baal posted:

Mind you, you will sometimes have your MC killed out of nowhere and that is basically all of the game's difficulty.
finally, a real shin megami tensei game