Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I have that paper demon dude and he’s saved my rear end a few times by giving me a “lol you can’t hurt me” option.

Also, I fuckin hate Morgana. Not even the “you need to go to bed” aspect, he’s just so smug an obnoxious about how smart he is. Then he’ll immediately do the dumbest poo poo he can whenever he can. And then he’s right back to making GBS threads on ryuji. I’m only on the part right after the fourth palace, so I really hope he gets knocked down a peg. At some point soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

The issue is that without the group chats there's legitimately nowhere to put a lot of that dialogue because the game's calendar is overstuffed as it is. Persona 4 was a lot more leisurely paced (and better paced, imo) so they could put group meetings whenever they wanted.

And by like the third dungeon they should stop with the constant “did we change their heart? I don’t know guys!”. It’s obnoxious getting like five of those a palace when you know the answer is “yes”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How is the P4 PS3 Classics port? Was thinking of grabbing it at some point since it’s only :10bux:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

I've only seen two (including the one behind the lasers). The first one ran before I could dent it and the second died in one hit. :smith:

They show up a lot in Mementos later on. Maybe it’s on Heat Wave days?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Man this game is slow at parts especially in between palaces sometimes. I know it is suppose to just be daily school stuff but nothing interesting happens there.

That wouldn’t even be so bad if it wouldn’t take away all your time blocks between dungeons most of the time. You don’t get to make any choices, you’re just hitting x til the game lets you play it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Alright people who have followed this series before, should I grab SMT IV or SMT IV Apocalypse if I’m just gonna get one?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
September has just killed my urge to keep playing. I know if I get through it it’ll pick up, but sweet mother of gently caress is there a lot of stuff I have to push through.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Eh you are right that could just be just be my experience with bad JRPG writing.

If you thought September was slow...I just got done with October and it might actually be worse. End of october/november seems to be start of the action again.

I found this scene very funny for some reasons. When Goro blackmails you to help him or he will get you arrested your confidant rank goes up with him. That is definitely how friendship works.

God drat I love the dungeon section of the game, and I also like the s links, but poo poo I wish there was a way to cut out the weeks of loving bullshit.

I got SMT IV the other day for the dungeon crawling aspect, but hooooo boy are those more difficult than P5.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Natural 20 posted:

Just got this. Anything I should know as I start? I've never played Persona before and I know if I miss out on an early secret I'll get all salty when I realise I did.

Spells that hit everything with an element are great for determining weaknesses against mixed groups.

You can draw on the classroom chalkboard for free guts points.

Savor the dungeons, they’re the best part of the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zore posted:

Oh yeah, social stats are important too as they can gate certain confidants. Make sure you always have a book from the library on you, some days you'll be able to read on the train to school without actually spending any blocks of time and they give some nice social stat boosts.

The baths are a solid choice for Tuesday and Thursdays

Also, mementos is a better source of treasure demons than having a high security alert level in a palace.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is doing the gym worth it? I’m using the proteins but the hp/sp gains seem tiny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Terper posted:

It'll be far better for you in the long run than playing this game.

No joke, I moved an exercise bike in front of my TV so that I can do something productive with the time I spend pressing x until I can play the drat game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I did the romance path with Ann specifically because Morgana is the loving worst and I’m hoping there’s a dialogue option to rub his goddamn face in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hunt11 posted:

My biggest issue with Morgana is that he loves dishing out poo poo but has a much harder time taking it.

And he will always do the dumbest poo poo in the world after talking about how smart he is. Like setting off that alarm in the second palace because he saw something shiny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

This drove me nuts, he shits on ryuji for months straight. Ryuji says one thing back and he sulks off. Go gently caress yourself I'll decide when I'm tired you stupid cat.

The fact you don’t have a “Go gently caress off, you Pinocchio-rear end motherfucker” option when he comes back is a major issue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BlackFrost posted:

I'm very near the end of this game and ended up liking it a lot more than I expected to. I generally hate JRPGs but everything about this game, from its art style to its slick battle system, really drew me in. I'm probably gonna jump right in NG+ to get the extra hidden stuff and finish up the remaining Confidants I didn't manage to finish this time around.

Are all the Persona games as good as this one? I was surprised to see P4 was actually a drat PS2 game. I hope it doesn't take that long for P6 to come out, though I heard this one had some development troubles so I guess that's why. I never played any SMT games either, should I get hype for SMT V on the Switch if I liked this?

Also I love rhythm games and this game's soundtrack loving owns so I'm unironically down for the dumb dancing game.

SMT is all about the dungeons and is much harder. 5 had me pick up SMTIV on the DS and it’s a real kick in the dick sometimes, but I like it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrightWing posted:

Pstv is a vita you can play on your tv, they're real cheap.

Yeah, google shopping is showing used ones for 8-10 bucks. Hmmm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

It's crazy how much longer this game actually is than P4G. I've almost put in the same number of hours as I put in to get to the last (non-true-ending) boss of P4G and it's not many more than I've put into P5 just up to early September.

I couldn't even pinpoint where that extra time comes from. Are there just more group chats peppered throughout the game?

A pretty significant chunk of my playtime in 5 is from me dicking around on my phone and forgetting to advance dialogue during the slow stretches.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also, she's not Mona, so at the very least she's an improvement on that front.

The fact the game seems to think that people like Morgana is probably it’s biggest flaw. gently caress that douchebag cat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm more irked by how Morgana ends up being the straight-up most competent navigator in the series so far by being able to fight and give intel at the same time.

Futaba's... fine, with her buffs and all, but still a blatant step back at that point.

Yeah, Morgana’s heal skills and all that are crazy useful but I hate him as a character.

Also, can someone please tell me why there’s apparently a P5 dance game coming out? That’s... bizarre.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zore posted:

Because the P4 dance game did well so they made one for 3 and 5 to cash in on it.

It all leads back to someone deciding to make a dance game from a JRPG, which I just can’t wrap my head around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I romanced Ann in the hopes I could rub it in Morganas dumb face but the game has dissapointed me on that front so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah she's a really good all-rounder. Of course the actual thing to do is just max Mishima and Hifumi's S. Links ASAP so you can swap between her and Morgana on the fly if one of them's low on SP without losing out on EXP. There really is no need not to be constantly swapping all your party members around in fights tbh. Futaba's lvl 9 perk to auto-swap out 2 downed party members for 2 freshies is pretty sweet for the odd emergency situation too, not that you'll likely have any need of that safety net by the time you get her link to 9

That would be so much better if Mishima’s S. Link meet ups were all just giving him a swirly. God drat he’s annoying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ChiTownEddie posted:

I played like 40hrs of this game in about 2 months after it came out. I was reminded of it this past week and how I'm dumb for not playing more so I decided to pick it up again...

...played 20hrs this weekend.
How did I stop playing this game last year?!

I’ve dropped it a couple times when I hit between palace “press x for the next five hours” segments.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alacron posted:

Also the blood type thing is dumb, Japanese writers include that because they think that "blood type personalities" are a thing.

Yeah, Japanese culture tends to hold on to things for a long time after they’re shown to be loving insane. There was a significant HIV issue from public blood testing machines in the 80s and 90s, and people still run the risk of being excluded from jobs for their blood type

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What’s the translation of it? All the guides I found tell you what it actually does.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I romanced Anne in the hopes I could rub Morgana’s dumb face in it. Stupid Pinocchio-rear end cat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only really crap confidant I can think of is the journalist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Romance things I did in the game that I stick by: not trying to romance Ann because my mate Morgana has a crush on her and I don't want to gently caress up his chances if he ever regains his human form back.

Funny, I romanced Ann because Morgana is the loving worst. I just wish the game would let me rub his nose in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azran posted:

For me it's the fact he's constantly making GBS threads on Ryuji for basically no good reason most of the time. Also the dumb Mementos chase.

Yeah, he always tells Ryuji he’s stupid and can’t do anything right, and then follows it up by loving up spectacularly, like when he sets off the alarm in the second palace. And he won’t shut up about becoming a real human again. gently caress that Pinocchio-rear end motherfucker.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Digirat posted:

FWIW I don’t think morgana needs a good reason not to like ryuji, sometimes conflict between people is as simple as abrasion between different personalities, but it comes up so randomly between them that it feels really weird and forced; unlike yusuke and futaba’s dislike for each other which feels a bit less forced and is actually a nice little angle to their characters

Also something as small as a character bring up to Morgana that he rags on Ryuji for being a dumbass while constantly doing dumber poo poo would have made it way less frustrating. As it is it feels like the game just expects you to agree with Morgana for like no reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s a shame that P5R isn’t coming to the switch because I’d really like to actually finish the game this time and it being portable would help with that substantially, and these changes all sound awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Supersonic Shine posted:

A trailer came out for Persona 5 Scramble, and it's a lot more expansive than I was expecting.

That looks significantly better than I was expecting, though I can’t tell how much of that is because my expectations were pretty low. I thought it was just going to be a Warriors type game without any of the wandering around and whatnot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

The Switch version does seem to be what gets talked about the most, but far as I can tell it's definitely coming to the PS4.

I think the Switch version just comes up the most because of the baffling desicion to only port P5S to the Switch instead of doing that and P5R. Which is still mind boggling, like, the Switch is the perfect console for Persona and there's never been a statement for why they aren't doing it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, if you believe the internet the Switch is the perfect console for everything. It's such a non-statement these days.

I actually don’t like my switch that much these days but it would work really well with letting me absentmindedly hit next during those giant stretches where there’s nothing but giant blocks of (usually repetitive) dialogue after a palace while I do something else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memnaelar posted:

Have they announced what DLC they're going to include in their season pass that could possibly be worth $40 - $60?

Morgana Dialogue Removal Patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

switch has pretty bad load times generally compared to disc based games, its something i noticed in a fair few games. seems like just an issue of the hardware. maybe its the weird carts they use, though traditionally carts have been better about load times, not worse

The read speed I see for a switch using a MicroSD card is slower than even a platter drive by a fair amount. 80 MB/sec is slow as hell.