Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Feels a bit cheaty to know the various S.Link effects when there's explictly an S.Link who has the ULTIMATE RANK 10 POWER of... Letting you know all the S.Link effects of the others.

Then again that's really lame power anyways and I wouldn't be deciding who to spend time with based on gameplay anyways (besides getting at least one rank in fortune teller girl because daaaaamn that seems handy. Teach looks like she gets you a lot more free time too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yo, I have a weirdly specific question about the controls, if someone that played it before could answer. I went and turned on my PS3 again to make sure everything was in working order and things MOSTLY are except there is some wonkiness with my controller where sometimes LT doesn't work if I'm also using the left analog stick. This would, obviously, be devastating to an FPS or something, but does P5 have anything essential mapped to L2 that requires me to be moving at the same time? It's probably going to be the last game I play on the ol' PS3 for a long time so I don't wanna have to buy a new controller just for it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bussamove posted:

I'll say it.

I want a Persona/Yakuza crossover game. Make it happen Atlus and Sega.

Kazuma's persona would be Kazuma because gently caress you.

What? No way, they already have the perfect things to be the Personas of most of the main characters, their back tattoos.

Either that or Haruka should be his persona.

Or maybe Majima.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Raxivace posted:

Go watch Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, Face/Off, The Rock, and Adaptation.

Do it right now. Back to back.

EDIT: Also watch Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans.

EDIT 2: And also Bringing Out the Dead.

Also watch that one where he has weird foresight power. Man what the hell was that movie called? Next, I think.

It's great/awful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

Social stats, money, compendium, equipment, Persona unlocks from maxing Confidants, costumes

I thought there weren't any costumes besides the DLC ones?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

slev posted:

I can't remember any of the p3 links. Even when the class president showed up in p4 I couldn't remember what she was all about

I remember uhhh, Hot for Teacher, Ball Handler, POVERTY ACE, Old Couple, DRUNK MONK, Depressing Cancer Man, Devil Announcer, Fat rear end in a top hat Kid, GAIJIN-KUN and Thicc Lips. Besides party members, of course.

Edit: Oh, and MMO Teacher.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxxidation posted:

Bluhhh, mix/maxing my videogame social life was one thing I didn't miss. How strict is this compared to P3 and P4?

If you want 100% of every social link? Extremely strict. If you're fine with 90% or so? Fairly easy. There's some stuff that's NG+ exclusive, too, so there's that as an incentive to not minmax your first run through.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I took a look at that guide and it even recommends savescumming the Proficiency rank-ups so you get 3 every time. That sounds incredibly boring and unfun, I'm glad I'm not worried about getting NG 100% S.Links.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harlock posted:

The game has been out for 6 months. All it takes is someone to post a paragraph about spoilers. But somehow video is bad?

Atlus is the worst.

This ain't Atlus, this is straight up Sega talking. They do this kinda poo poo all the time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Christ, everything in this game is so expensive. Anyone got some protips on what to prioritize with my extremely limited cash?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

wheres all the tap soda man, I need more SP and the school only sells weak poo poo in the vending machines

I found some in the Courtyard vending machine at the school, but that's it so far. Seems like they're limited too...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I'm OCD about different things than everyone else because I doubt I'm capable of ever doing a one-day Palace unless I spoil myself on how many Lockpicks I need beforehand. I could've kept going in the first one but after finding a SECOND locked chest (after the one you're guaranteed to have a lockpick for) my treasure instincts wouldn't let me go further. Gotta open all treasure chests even if the loot is bad, gotta do it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I got no idea how people make it through the palace in one day. I did it in 2 and it was still kinda tight at the end.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think by having the S.Links require the lower levels of stats it encourages you to raise them constantly through the game, which is probably a good habit to have. Better than running face first into MAX KNOWLEDGE OR GTFO with Mitsuru, for instance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dehry posted:

I did it in a day, but I did redeem Izanagi which let me save SP. Everyone ended up around LV15 by the boss so even at LV20 the advantage wasn't much.

15!? I beat it with everyone at 10, getting to 11 from the boss fight... And it took me an extra day too. I mean I didn't get a cheaty DLC Persona but surely it shouldn't make that much of a difference!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dehry posted:

I'm on safety mode. I don't know if that has an EXP modifier or not but I could easily dispatch demons with two regular attacks. The only issue was keeping them healed. It wasn't as concerning without a game over threat.

Oh well yeah if you're gonna play on Safety mode. Maybe mention that first, geez. I'm playing on literally the other end of the difficulty spectrum from you.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

To me a Persona game is about trying to manage time effectively, failing horribly, still getting a decent amount of S.Links and then using a guide for a second playthrough.

My ability to remember all the conditional special days for poo poo in this game is not good. The only ones that have stuck are: Always have 5000 yen and visit the Shibuya station on Sundays for a time slot free stat boost (but expensive monetarily), and that mondays and thursdays at night the bathhouse has that good herb poo poo going on and you get an extra charm point for going there. But there's like special meals and like half the goddamn places in the game have special poo poo going on if it's raining and you can only buy that loving YAKISOBA BREAD on Fridays and jesus christ goddamn it gently caress

By the way everyone should go and watch movies all the time forever they're great

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 5, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay so like, why is it that in a game with so much great music the Mementos theme is like 8 notes repeated over and over driving me insane?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh, that's weird. Sometimes in Mementos special effects that are supposed to be red are showing up more like pink to me. It's really odd.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

AlphaKeny1 posted:

is there fishing? because gently caress figuring that out again on the first playthrough

Looking at the trophies it seems like the answer is yes. Christ.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For all I dislike its music man is Mementos great for getting gear. So great. It's random as poo poo but I got an accessory with med Wind evade which immediately went onto Ryuji, and some nice upgrades to armor for everyone. I guess it does take a day to go there but whatever you can actually get a lot done in there in a day without even needing to ration SP that bad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

gently caress you cat stop telling me how to live my life goddammit

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like how some of the Sunday TV deals are really good and some of them are massive scams. Just like actual TV shopping!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zore posted:

So the Temperance link is weird as gently caress.

... is the maid service just a thinly veiled prostitution thing where they also sometimes just clean or walk your dog instead/in addition?

No, Japan is just... Weird. I mean I'm sure you could find one that fits your description but they also totally have women who will dress up as french maids and come to your house JUST to clean your stuff. Because JAPAN.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ooh, found another good time-free stat gain thingy, if you buy the plant nutrients from the flower shop you can give them to the plant in you room every now and then (Like every 2 weeks or so? Not sure) and it gives you 2 kindess notes for pretty cheap.

Anyone know if the batting cage prizes are worth it? I'm really bad at that minigame so I'm really tempted to savescum it but that feels lovely...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Alan Is More Upset posted:

I wonder if anyone defiantly signed the confession sheet with a "gently caress YOU" and is now named gently caress in all of the dialog...

Loving the new dungeons. The puzzle piece stuff from p3/4 were terrible and bad.

If Mementos just had some not terrible music it'd even have a better random dungeon than they did by virtue of every floor being short and sweet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

hyphz posted:

Since I was apparently a Phantom Thief and got caught I entered my name as "Saint Fail", which got me some comedy "Fail-kun?" references later on.

Do only bad guys have cross-gender personas?

And you, I guess. Since a persona is a representation of your true self it seems like most of the time the genders would match. However, presumably a trans person would have a persona of the opposite gender.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think two trips is enough to get you through even on Hard. It's tricky, but definitely doable. Anyone one-tripping it on Hard is a mystery to me entirely. Hell, I'm pretty sure even on Normal one-tripping it is very difficult.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea the person I quoted didnt but it was building off of this original comment:

Yeah that was me. I wasn't attempting to imply that'd be the case all the time, just that it seems probable that it would happen. It's entirely possible for a non-trans person to have an opposite gender persona if it's a case like Naotos, just as much as it'd be possible for a trans person to have a same gender persona. It's about the truth inside the heart though, which is why I theorized trans people would often have opposite gender personae.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bardeh posted:

Is there any indication as to when my traits actually go up a level? I've done poo poo loads of things for knowledge and guts but there's no way to tell how close I am to actually levelling one up. There was a dialog option that I needed Guts for so I must have theoretically been able to level it up by now but it just never seems to move.

Personas with social stats have always had early dialog options that are impossible to complete on a first playthrough. Usually courage related ones. But no, they STILL don't let you know how close you are to leveling a social stat, which sucks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hoooooly poo poo Regents are great if you can manage to get one. The first one I got has every low level Ma- skill in it. I wonder which of these would be best to transfer on. I'm thinking either Holy or Nuclear...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey just wanna confirm with the Japanese players here, do you get IM notifications about every sidequest? I'm not missing talking to some random person somewhere to get more, right?

Crabtree posted:

Every time I hear the word skull I just have the Bulk and Skull theme play in my head in every conversation he's in. Is there any go to persona to try and capture Regent? I know its weak to Psi and Nuke(almighty), but I'm not sure which personas around 14-5 have either of those skills to hit its weaknesses.

For just killing them, the * Break skills work too. Jack Frost has a pretty early Ice Break, for instance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh that's handy, when your proficiency rises you can craft more poo poo in a single night.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jimbot posted:

So what do I look for when I'm talking with the shadows? From the way they talk I can't parse if they're being serious or timid. Can't tell from the responses either. Are you supposed to choose what you think is best and hope it turns out good or is there a means of figuring out the personality of these shadows?

As with every SMT game with a negotation system... It's pretty much random. Some options have better odds of working than others I think, but at the end of the day you're pretty much just gambling each time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Trying to keep alert levels high in this game is kinda tricky. I keep accidentally ambushing enemies and lowering it. Gotta get dem metal slimes tho.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

corn on the cop posted:

Boner. Made the mistake of killing everything in sight and wasting all my SP. Looks like I'm switching to easy for now :v:

You don't HAVE to do everything in one day. The game does everything in its power to tell you not to do everything in one day.

And yet people still insist on it. I guess people really wanna optimize.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

The third target is the weakest part of the game and his entire storyline feels like they needed something to fill for time with how generic he and his entire storyline are. The only thing I liked about it was it is when Makoto enters the story in her entirety.

That's a shame, even though the second target was probably overall weaker than the first, I felt it was still pretty solid and had good punchy ending to it. I guess I'll see?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

darealkooky posted:

So far hard mode has been rough but generally manageable but the second boss just seems ridiculous. I use most of my resources & get super lucky with dodges thanks to sukunda only for that to only to beat the first stage

Is 15 too low?

I was at 19 and it was trivial. Getting Yusuke to 18 gets him an ability that makes things a LOT easier during the painting phases, and I had a pretty nice Matador that I used my Regent for. I actually had to pace myself to see the actual unique fight mechanic, otherwise I'd have beaten him too quick.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

darealkooky posted:

studying at the library or at the diner can get you guts + knowledge

dunno how many points it is (do the points even vary between things?) but that seems p effective just in terms of getting two things done at once

You can tell how many points a thing gives by how many music notes you get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay Makoto's attempts at following you inconspicuously are adorable.