Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think localization should focus less on getting across every single minute detail of the original work and more about invoking the same ideas and themes, and stirring the same feelings in the audience.

not that im saying just make up whatever, most lines should at least get across the same general idea even on a line-by-line basis, but if there's a joke that's hard to translate, just come up with a new one.

This is more or less what I think too, and why I think it's very odd lots of people get really annoyed when a translation isn't incredibly literal, especially when their reasoning is that they wouldn't be seeing the author's original intent otherwise. I'm pretty sure the intent of a line with a joke in it is usually to make the player laugh, so translating said joke literally so that it makes no sense in English is only making the translation less like the original rather than more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Something I'd forgotten to ask about - can the social links reverse in this game like in Persona 3? Or is it like Persona 4 where that mechanic's all but removed?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

No, the mechanic is dead

Cool, I always thought it was a silly idea. I get the intent was probably to make you think more about your responses and have them mean something, but the mechanic probably just led to people looking up social link guides more than anything else.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Holy moley, just watching the Giant Bomb quick look of the first hour and twenty minutes, and how they set up the story was already wearing super thin by like the midway point of that; Every single person acting like a massive piece of poo poo and treating a teenage boy who punched a rapist in the face and saved a woman as some kind of hard-bitten criminal was driving me insane. I'm assuming there's a bunch of catharsis and vindication as things go on story-wise, or at least I hope so anyway.

Not that it's ultimately a bad thing, just an observation. Seems like a good excuse to act like a dickhead yourself with the dialogue choices.

To be fair, it seemed like the guy who got punched was someone with a fair amount of influence, so I'm guessing they managed to get things spun so that it looked as though you'd randomly assaulted someone or something like that. Hardly excuses the guy acting as your guardian, seeing as he made it pretty clear he knew the whole story, but the idea makes how everyone else was acting make a bit more sense.

EDIT:(Regarding the post below me) Ah, there we go, now it makes sense. Even then they were perhaps being a bit too on-the-nose with it all, but I found it hilarious how absolutely uncaring everybody was, to be honest.

smenj fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 29, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Does persona 5 offer subtitles for the cutscene? That was annoying when the prior games didn't have it for the animated parts.

Yeah, I saw them do it in the giant bomb quick look. There should be a toggle for it in the options.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Harlock posted:

Is anyone here buying the PS3 version?

Hello, I am another PS3 person. Was planning initially on buying a PS4 when P5 came out since there'd be enough exclusive games out on PS4 at that point to make buying one worth it for me. But I've had no luck job-searching so I kind of don't have the money, and then I heard that the PS3 and PS4 versions were almost identical sans resolution, so there wasn't much point waiting.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just noticed that none of the PS3 DLC is up on the store even though all the PS4 stuff is. They never said the extra language track and such would be PS4 exclusive, so I wonder when they'll put the PS3 stuff up.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

The Gorp posted:

The Mementos conversations are short enough and good enough. Most of the time that is.

I just wish they wouldn't be interrupted by taking literally any action. Sooo many lines I never heard the end of because they started talking just as I attacked a shadow, or because I was spotted, or I opened a menu, or a chest, or a door, or...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Purple Monkey posted:

I'm on the last free day and can either finish off the last request in Mementos or max out the Priestess social link, which would you recommend I do?

If you're bothered about trophies, you get one for doing all the Mementos requests. You could always just do the request for the trophy and then reload to do the Priestess link afterwards.