Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Wait, can you actually date your homeroom teacher? That's kinda messed up, Phantom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Maybe a bit bizarre as a question but the map in the OP intrigued me. Will we actually see the landmarks/icons on the map for each district? Like will we visit the Tokyo Skytree in Asakusa? Or the Tokyo tower?

That said, will we spend a lot of time in Asakusa?

I really liked Asakusa during my trip to Tokyo, that's all. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Maybe the Japanese audience just really, really likes their bland grind towers?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
They do, based on tarot interpretations.

The Magician, for example, has always been a young male who is particularly interested in ladies, IIRC.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Good news: As a Eurogoon student I now have 2 weeks of no classes for Easter.

Bad news: I should use this time to write my thesis, probably.

Worse news: gotta wait for my preordered edition to get shipped from Holland. Will it arrive in the morning, or late afternoon? The wait is killing me.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Been bingeing for 4 days straight on this game, I love it.

Slightly concerned about my social stats though, especially as I want to kiss Makoto. Got rank 4 in knowledge (the day after the exams lol) and 3 in everything else in early July. Am I on track here or lagging behind?

Also, I'm only rank 3 confidants with Sojiro. I'm brewing coffee almost every day when he's at home but he just doesn't want to advance our Slink rating. Is he supposed to be really hard to get up all the time or only this specific level here?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ImpAtom posted:

Sojiro takes a long time and is also gated by plot.

I'm not yet at the plot gate I think. Just takes ages to get him to open up to me?

On another note, do surplus friendship points "spill over" into the next rank, if that makes sense? I've been wondering this since persona 3 but Atlus is obtuse with this poo poo. For example, if I'm ready to rank up with Ryuji, and he calls me on Saturday to hang out on Sunday, is that time and those points wasted? Or will they add up to let me get to the rank after that faster, as if I'd done it in the correct order?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You can also summon them up if you, for example, need a cheap emperor persona in your pocket for hanging out with Yusuke. Afterwards just fuse 'em when you go into a palace!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
That's close to the end but you've got some tough forced fights ahead of you. Sorry, friend. I'd call it a day there.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Christ how are you people so fast. I've been playing all day since it came out basically and I'm only in late August.

Please keep cool end-game stuff spoiler tagged for us slowpokes. :(

That said, I don't like how all the phantom thieves are making GBS threads on Akechi so hard. He is my friend and I want to talk to him on good terms!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean he shits on the thieves as well. I don't really blame them.

He raises good points though, from the perspective of somebody who is out of the loop the Phantom Thieves are shady as gently caress.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Some rear end in a top hat on youtube just randomly put a string of rapid-fire spoilers in a comment.

Anyhow, currently mid-september (I think that's palace 5?) and The part with Mona and Beauty Thief™ cracked me up so hard.

Slightly worried about time management though. All the Social Links I more or less care for are during the daytime and I'm afraid I'll have to drop one of them while having to do a night Slink I'm not too interested in to pass time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Currently early November, blindsided by the proficiency requirement for Haru. I'm slowly maxing out the Confidants that I care about, but the ones that join late always throw a wrench in my plans because you more or less have to do them every time they're available or you just narrowly miss maxing them out.

It's so annoying I'm considering rushing Fortune to make up for lost time overday, but every night I spend with Fortune is another night I'm not raising proficiency. What to do, what to do.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Re: temperance chat: the actual problem with dating her is that it either means you're not dating Makoto, or you're cheating on Makoto, and both of these are unacceptable.

Almost done with the December dungeon now. I'll have a lot of things to unpack and talk about when this is over.

Most of those things might be gushing about Makoto.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
All right so I had to stop for a bit before doing the very final day in March so for all intents and purposes I have finished this game unless it pulls a Persona 4 on me and throws me in a dungeon after saying bye to my fake friends.

Lots of things to say. I really liked this game but it has a few small issues that grated on me. I won't discuss gameplay ones because I think we all agree that having Morgana seemingly take away your free will every other night is irritating (and it'd work better IMO if Akira just said he was tired and wanted to sleep, in first person thought bubbles) or dungeon gimmicks going on for exactly one section too long (I almost snapped when I saw corridors for the third time in the final palace)

I do like how I managed to finish all but 3 of the social links without trying very hard and being suboptimal with my social stat planning. Only one I regret it getting Hanged to 8 on the final day. Didn't care enough about devil nor tower to get them after rank 3.

My thoughts on the party members:

Akira/protagonist: Super cool dude. Has a lot of emotion compared to P3 and 4's protags, doesn't feel too much like a blank slate but like a nuanced character with different thoughts that you can voice. Stylish dude. Hipster for coffee. I particularly liked the part in the Fortune confidant where Chihaya asks him whether he likes older girls and your options are "why do you ask?" and "Hell yes I do". Makes it canon that he's into the older girls, and kinda sorta goes hand in hand with the adult/senpai romance options in the game? I think only Futaba is younger than him, and he might make some sort of exception for her due to being close friends.

Ryuji: He's a cool dude but seriously suffered from the idiot ball being handed around in October. Once Makoto enters the picture he kind of becomes a doofus until November or so, and then he gets cool and capable again. Good thing I finished his social link in November (I liked spreading them around) so it didn't feel like he dropped out of the picture completely. The way he shat on Morgana all of a sudden was really stupid and I'm glad the game more or less acknowledged that. Guess the fame got to his head, which isn't a very unrealistic thing to happen.

Ann: I liked her but she really disappeared after Makoto joined. I felt like she was quite capable and intelligent at times so I'm sad she slides into irrelevance for long stretches of time after Kamoshida. One thing I did enjoy in particular is the dynamic she had with Ryuji. Contrasting with Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko and Junpei/Yukari, she didn't seem to be too bothered by him perving over her, and they had a fun dynamic. Specifically her teasing him in the beach scene was a refreshing show of confidence and took away a lot of the skeeviness the scene could've had.

Morgana: A mascot character that wasn't irritating (Teddie) or boring (Koromaru). His pettiness in October was kind of weird but otherwise he was a really great character. Unfortunately the ease of using him as a healbot once I got Yusuke meant he never saw a spot in my roster again, save for some segments with a lot of wind-weakness enemies.

Yusuke: Absolutely amazing boy. He is real, and he is my friend. Apart from being a bit of a creepy oddball before he joined, every scene with him was gold and his baton pass mechanics made using him fun for trash mobs. His confidant scenes were funny and touching, too.

Makoto: The best girl. She has a lot of scenes, she's capable, and quite funny at times. Her following you around was cute, and she basically has the best persona until it evolves into a wonky-looking transformer. I was expecting (hoping?) that she'd step all over me but after her awakening scene she mostly stuck to some sort of good girl honours student archetype, and then zig-zagged into malevolent avatar of death and nuclear destruction in combat. I think I would have liked to see her aggressive side a bit more outside of the palaces/mementos, too. But maybe I'm just a weird sadist, idk.

Futaba: I like her. I was afraid every single thing about her would be boiled down to otaku/nerd jokes but she's not too bad on that front. She tears into Mishima which was pretty funny. I don't know how people could date her though: she reminds me of those splatoon girls (I've never played splatoon either) and she's more of a little sister than anything else.

Haru: It's unfortunate that she joins so late in the story, and she requires max proficiency to actually get to know, which totally surprised me. I do enjoy how her story avoided having me change some dude's heart yet again, but is about her learning to communicate with people in a serious way about important issues, rather than be some doll her father used as a bargaining chip. She also loving sniped the endboss for 1,500 damage every turn and I have deep respect for that. Her voice didn't actually irritate me at all.

Akechi: Okay, this actually really disappointed me. I was expecting he'd be a genuinely good person on the side of the well-meaning albeit misguided law enforcement who has a sort of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" deal with the Phantom Thieves and betrays them because he believes it's the morally just thing to do afterwards. He raises good issues on the dangers of breaking the law and protocol to do what you believe is right, because that makes you an unpredictable agent of chaos and society simply cannot function if it relies on those to uphold justice. But all of that poo poo is undermined and goes out the loving window when he reveals he was working for Shido all along and gives some hammy-rear end "woe is me, I want daddy to acknowledge me, also I murder people" speech. I really want to like this dude but he's definitely the second-weakest link in the game's story and themes IMO. (The weakest link is how everyone acts like a dumbass in October to force Haru into the plot, and the plot forward.) He would have worked a lot better as a third party temporarily joining forces than an actual villain IMO.

Other random thoughts about Confidants: Sojiro rules, Mishima is a loving goon but I came around to liking him by the end of the game, Iwai seemed cool and I regret lacking the time to hang out with him a few more times, Takemi was a fun character with touching scenes but I'm not into goths so she can't be the best girl, Kawakami deserves sympathy but it's weird how she changed into her maid outfit to massage me even if we don't date, Tora is my cool old bro, and Lala Escargot needs to be added as a new Confidant. Chihaya's story was meh, but she gains points from me by being thirsty and letting me hang out with my real friends more often. I never hung out with reporter lady because her ability and story both seemed boring. The arcade kid seemed to have a promising story, but in between the late date he gets unlocked and the more pressing social links in November/December I didn't get far.

The bait and switch with deep voice Igor actually caught me really off-guard and wasn't bad at all.

All in all, still the best Persona game, both in gameplay and in story/themes. Everything fits together in a neat package. I'm definitely going to NG+ this and spend all of December going on dates with Makoto around various places in Tokyo.

P.S.: Could anyone link me the blog post Baal wrote about this? I was still going through the game when he posted it and I'm interested in his opinion.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

freshlybaked posted:

I happen to still remember the blog name, in case you were still looking. https://thebaalpit.tumblr.com/post/159494049932/i-like-p5-a-lot-spoilers

Thank you, friend.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Actually you need to turn it off, I believe. So it forgets your last-used persona and reverts to the one at the top of the list. I did that once I started getting auto-ma skills to buff everyone before every fight.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's strange, you earn that money as a group, why does the MC keep it all to spend on massages and drugs

The yens you get are actually your fair share, it's just that your teammates blow all that money on Big Bang Burgers the night they crawl out of a palace and Morgana does his best to save your diet.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

At a glance on my phone this looked like Makoto had a picture of herself and the MC on the screen and it still worked.

But zooming in made it even better.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Walrus Pete posted:

Bonus: that's Sae's laptop

Quickly gotta nab sis' slashfics for Futaba

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

Kawakami is the master. Gaining 3 points with each after saying, "Call her MASTER Kawakami" made me laugh a whole lot.

Especially because he seems to have a goofy grin on his face and she blushes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Endorph posted:

Lovers: Instead of an obvious adam and eve thing, this one seems to be depicting a love triangle

Might have changed in recent years but the original Renaissance tarot decks as far as I know used to have a young man looking at two young women standing on a branching road. The Lovers literally represents choice, so this seems like it's being used straight rather than a subversion.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

darealkooky posted:

Guess it's my turn to be insanely offended by a joke b/c (post palace 7) ryuji almost dies saving everyone in a cool rear end moment & his reward is to get knocked the gently caress out in a 4v1 curb stomp and left behind as everyone walks away to celebrate. that's a real dick move

Just lol if your ladyfriends don't routinely beat you up out of love.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Haru is precious because p much every option gives 3 points with her. She likes laughing and straightforward empathy which makes it really easy to make her like you unless you go out of your way to pick the rare douche choices.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Every baton pass with Joker gives you 1 confidant pip to the relevant party member, up to 3. Encourages you to spread around the love and dive into a dungeon when several people are too low to get the next rank with.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I inderpreted it as him wearing contact lenses in those scenes. Or maybe he just needs his glasses to read, which is why he wears them at school but not when going to the beach/festival/palace/anywhere without books?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I feel like that should have triggered a few times when you're forced to go to sleep early because dreaming about your friends is cute and I fondly remember the dreams in persona 4.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
IMO Persona 4 Golden still has tons of charm even today. It's Persona 3 that's hard to get back to.

Persona 5 oozes style and slickness, Persona 4 oozes cuteness and friendly warmth and J-pop. The battle system is a relic from the era of flip-phones. Cute!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

"You couldn't have become this attractive without help. You have a girlfriend don't you? T-tell me who she is. :blush:"

"It was Makoto. She wanted me to take a bath every night for a month until I was allowed to pretend being her boyfriend."

*Judgment Confidant reverses*

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Use a skill card on your lowest level persona. I think you should be able to get mafrei from using the electric chair on Suzaku, and then slap that on a pixie or something?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Unfortunately it's a bit of a crapshoot. Some are intended to be used while resting in between fights in the palace, while the single-target items seem to always work in combat. Especially egregious with the late-game carrots and tomatoes which you can get at the exact same place but one is usable in combat and the other isn't!! And it's dumb

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

10kapp posted:

In my own headcanon though Makoto gained 20 pounds over the course of the game and Joker starts to regret dating her. There's a finals study scene in december where the party asks Joker if he's ever thought about getting married, and I answered "no", followed by a sad look from Makoto. Makoto looks a little heavier than normal in her winter wear and this all made perfect sense at the time.

Please finish this fanfic and PM it to me

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

How quickly they forget poor Lisa

Also, that French dude in persona 3.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ann is 1/4th white IIRC, so of course this is Japan and anybody with a drop of white blood is blonde with blue eyes

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Endorph posted:

i mean, everyone in japan has either brown or black hair, so it makes sense to take any excuse to vary up the cast's looks if you're going for a more 'realistic' design sense. persona takes some liberties in places (dark blue that you can technically call black, mitsuru having red hair just like all french people do?) but there's nobody with green or pink hair like some anime.

Next persona game should have a foreign exchange student with black hair hanging out with gyarus and delinquents who dye their hair, IMO

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I had a lot of fun in palace 5 and even thought its barracks gimmick was a lot of fun. My interest dipped a bit during the segments in the factory, then the airlocks part was better again because it was in essence a long corridor with like 3 enemies on it, so my HP and SP starved rear end was relieved.

Only palace 7 had me really go "oh holy gently caress no, yet another bland corridor?" although palace 4 came close with its final door, though salvaged by the fact that I could feel I was getting closer.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ApplesandOranges posted:

But who's least likely to get a girlfriend, Yosuke, Ryuji or Mishima?

Yosuke basically has a girlfriend though, she's just a robot

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I liked Dojima's Slink better than the Sojiro confidant because I feel Dojima's is really about him being a mess of a guilt-ridden person that you help overcome his troubles whereas Sojiro is just "get to know this cool middle-aged dude"

Like I think Sojiro is the bigger bro here, but Dojima is the better Slink, character-arc wise.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Wtf is this poo poo. Don't make fun of my good friend like that

AlternateNu posted:

So, I just got past the November plot twist, and I'm wondering if I'm on track to be able to max all confidants. The only ones I have left are:
Tower - Rank 9
Priestess - Rank 8
Emperor - Rank 9
Hanged - Rank 7
Empress - Rank 1
Whatever new ones pop up after this point?

I was able to max my last stat the day before the twist. :v:

Also, I'm going for harem mode (as is customary on a first playthrough), and I was wondering if there are any super heartbreaking scenes like the one Valentine's Day scene with Naoto in P4.

I think there's no new confidants now. There's no heartbreaking scenes (IMHO) but there is a unique scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It happened to me in the very first palace, and in the 6th one. That's two occurrences in 100 hours.