Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Andrast posted:

What the gently caress is this rank 5 charm requirement this early in Makoto's link

Haru's requires rank 5 proficiency to even get rank 2.

Rank 5 charm suddenly seems less dumb at rank 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sea Sponge Run posted:

what do you put it on

PS5

Harrow posted:

Eh, they could just do it on PS4. That's what Persona 3 FES did, just rereleased on the same console.

Or surprise everyone and port it to PC or Switch or something, though I'm assuming Persona 5's staying Sony exclusive.

Why? It's not like Persona hasn't been on nintendo systems before.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lakbay posted:

Aren't they making a traditional high fantasy RPG next

They have more than one dev team, yknow.

Harrow posted:

Has it? SMT sure has, but I don't think a Persona game has.

I just assumed it would be exclusive, but I actually don't know how involved Sony is with the development/marketing. There's already an SMT game announced for Switch and I'd bet they're going to use a lot of the same assets they made for Persona 5, so it'd be pretty sweet if they ported it.

Persona Q.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Actually a switch version would be rad if the console could handle it

The PS3 can handle it, I can't imagine any way in which the Switch can't.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

jimmydalad posted:

How bad is merciless difficulty? I'm going to be doing it on a new game plus, having already beaten the game on Hard. Also, I still have yet to max my guts and proficiency. Poor Haru never got past level 1 confidant status. I intend to heavily rectify that situation next playthrough.

Merciless is just hard with nerfed exp and money gains.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theblackw0lf posted:

Once you can hang out with her, make sure if Makoto invites you to the movies you say yes.

Wait, why? What happens?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Alder posted:

Anyone find it odd how MC's parents are OK with their son having a criminal record but no history of violence? I know adults are bad but his parents are just :confused:

They are absolutely not okay with it.

They boot him out. :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

JT Jag posted:

Do I have to do something besides unlock the Electric Chair function to do weapon and item transmutation? Because right now all I seem to be able to do is turn personas into skill cards.

It's just dependent on the persona. Most give skill cards, a few give items.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

corn on the cop posted:

Oh goodie a Hawaii trip!

"You'll be rooming with Mishima"

:shepface:

Ryuji should've just been in your class.

Or Yusuke.

Definitely Yusuke.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, uh. What do you even do in the 7th Palace? I've done basically nothing and I have no idea what to do.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like the Haru, but her social link is pretty generic and I think they should have given her a better unique ability than the gardening. Those are my views, thanks

She's a coffee girl.

She makes coffee. Just like you.

She is your soul mate.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

darealkooky posted:

Does haru not show up at school randomly before she becomes relevant, like makoto? Real missed opportunity if so.

Speaking of if you don't think her evolved persona is better than you're wrong, since it's the exact same thing except transformed and ready to roll out

What would she do, stalk you with her watering can?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TheLoser posted:

So I just fixed the laptop.

Is there anything I actually REALLY want to buy at the higher tiers? I already have some of these beginning items.

I'm glad Tanaka and Igor are the only two recurring characters since 3, though.

The Roland accessory at the top level is neat. +5 to all stats.

There's also a refreshing stock of transmutation gear.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Caidin posted:

Well, I've mostly finished palace 7 and this place is a complete loving slog, with Akechi there at the end to sponge damage like a proper lunatic. Goodnight sweet trash boy, thanks for the metatron and I wish you had died alone.

It entertains me to see you say he sponged damage, since my MC cut off half of his health per hit.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Why do you get two Master Curry's when you make it, but only one Master Coffee. That seems dumb.

Anyway, All links maxed get!

This is actually rather lenient. I mean, I got it on the last day, but that's only because the person wasn't available the second to last day.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

epenthesis posted:

It doesn't help that she's brought into the Metaverse and introduced as the next party member before we actually learn much about her. Her awakening is less satisfying than the others because we were essentially told it was going to happen, but given only a lightly sketched reason why.

It would have been better if she encountered the group while doing her own investigation or otherwise being proactive about her situation. There's something perfunctory about her as it is--they needed another playable character and so they dropped one in, giving her a rushed introduction and a vague connection to the plot.

Maybe if this wasn't a JRPG. If a character here had a name and a mugshot, and weren't a shopkeeper or already a confidant, they were probably going to become a party member.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Are you still stuck with one use of the electric chair per day in the final dungeon? Cuz that sucks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Man, at endgame, the real Igor sounds so much closer to the original. Like, still not really like the original, but closer than Yaldabaoth.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

UberJew posted:

I put null nuclear on siegfried and that was my starter persona thanks to charge and auto-mataru pretty much from the moment i hit strength 10 until i fused vishnu with repel fire during the very definitely final dungeon

finally beat it and p5 is amazing and the best and im going to actually ng+ it to get all the s-links (i had futaba at NINE but ran out of time in december argh) which i never actually did with p3 or p4

Just to check and I guess make you feel bad if you happened to screw this up, did you do the 7th palace as late as possible? Because you can't do confidants (or at least party confidants) a week before a palace deadline, but you can clear that one and you'll suddenly have 5 more days of confidant time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I think the idea is they traveled a lot. She also mentions living in California.

So just to summarize and finish this whole line of thought, she's a quarter Japanese, some amount Finnish, and presumably some amount american whose parents are fashion designers from Finland (this is how she got into modeling in the first place; she subbed in for a model at a fashion show of her parent's stuff). She travels because Fashion Designers travel, presumably.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Is it just me, or is Lavenza even tinier than the twins were?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

g0lbez posted:

That makes sense but how did Akechi end up leaving the metaverse? Wouldn't he realize something was up when he went outside or something?

Same way he got in. Futaba pulled him out.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

not really, they mentioned outright choosing between haru and her as opposed to just going 'okay she isn't going to be a party member actually,' which implies it was a little later in development when they were mapping out the story proper, as opposed to just who the cast would be. the fact that the choice was between her and haru specifically as opposed to her vs any other possible character that could exist in that slot implies they had mapped out the story with both haru and her and realized that they were the two most expendable characters and so one of them needed to be cut.

So if Hifumi is Best Girl.

And Haru was chosen over her.

Does that make Haru Greatest Girl?

Okay, Haru is Greatest Girl, it's canon now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh wow vegetables are pretty powerful.

Yeah, they're essentially max level Curry/Coffee. But with basically zero effort involved in unlocking them, and zero time used.

It's fun.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Saigyouji posted:

It's less consumerism, and more absolute control. Befitting its name, Yaldabaoth is directly in parallel of the forces of Law, and YHVH Himself from the mainline SMT games, up to and including having the four archangels under its direct control. To it, any deviation from perfect order is a flaw in the very fabric of reality, to be corrected with extreme prejudice. It won't be satisfied until humanity is mindlessly obedient. Its whole "The sin of rebelling against a god is severe. As punishment, you shall taste pain everlasting." is a direct callback to SMT II, where YHVH says almost exactly the same thing after you defeat Him.

Actually, going by Strange Journey and SMT IV (which don't necessarily have the same logic as Persona, granted), Yaldabaoth (called the Demiurge there) is actually a part of YHVH to begin with. Specifically, going by main series SMT ideas, he's a fragment representing God's desire to be obeyed. Which... pretty much explains Yaldabaoth's entire motive right there. He wants everyone to worship him, and absolutely nothing else. I suppose when you get down to it, he's the thing that drives all of YHVH's asshattery, since it always seems to boil down to "Worship me mindlessly or else", which is the Demiurge's entire deal. Persona 5 just happened to be the game that put Demiurge front and center.

Hmm. With Strange Journey being remade, and Demiurge being the ultimate bonus boss of the game, I wonder if they'll give Persona 5 a nod.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Here I am finishing up the game, fusing what's left before beating the final boss.

And I fuse Michael, and go to the Itemize out of curiosity, even though I can't use it because this game is dumb and limits you on that on the final loving day.

"Judge of the Dead (Revolver): All Stats +10 "

*starts mashing confirm even though I can't do it*

Why you do this game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

poe meater posted:

Whats the minimum days required for the Palace 2 dungeon? 2 days? I'm cutting it pretty close trying to get the sun slink up.

4 Days.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mailer posted:

I'm pushing up to the point where I want a ridiculously overpowered Yoshitsune to roll the extra NG+ boss with. Anyone have a link to how to set one up that is immune to everything?

Edit: Should probably just google for that poo poo as the game has been out for a while now.

I feel like the increased element count kind of ruined that sort of thing. Yoshitsune needs 7 skills to become at least null everything. He gets 5 inheritance slots, and you can sacrifice to get a 6th. Which still leaves you 1 short, which you then need to skill card.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ChaosArgate posted:

What's wrong with Ryuji's instant kill thing?

The highest level random encounter in the game is level 77 (Kali) (This is not counting the Reaper, mind)

Instant Kill works against anything 10 levels lower than you.

So once you hit level 87, you can no longer ambush things. Ever.

This is particularly annoying with the red group encounter in the second to last room in the game, which give about 10k XP. Which, if you drop the rest of your party levels you up every 6 or so encounters.

And you have to let them attack you rather than attacking first.

For 12 levels.

Or 8 levels if your goal is "Be high enough level to fuse any persona without using Strength", I suppose.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 16, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I beat the game very comfortably at level 70. Why the hell would you bother getting to 87?

Like, maybe I was a bit more underleveled than I thought I was through the entire game. Because the only enemies I ever insta-killed were Mementos weaklings, I never had it happen in dungeons or anything. I never even really felt the need to grind.

Because there exist persona up to level 93 (95 in NG+), so unless you want to spend fucktons of cash, you're leveling up to that to fuse them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

sicarius posted:

Thanks to you two! That was the next question I was going to ask - if you don't max all the Confidants, which ones are the most relevant to focus on. Guess I'll be hanging with the doc a lot - which makes sense.

Should I be striving to clear each dungeon in one day even if that means missing treasure chests or whatever as well? I assume yes, since most chests are just items.

Yusuke. Focus on Yusuke. Dick never seems to be around.

Also Hermit, though to a lesser extent.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Uh, I got Makoto for Hawaii, and she was still stuck at rank 5 at the time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's Mishima being bad.

Try and tell me you wouldn't use it calling for maid service, or fortune telling.

You're scamming just as much as Mishima!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

I think social links are going to stay around because they're one of the pillars of the series at this point. If people want the RPG dungeon crawling without the life sim parts, that's what SMT is for (and, also, SMT owns and if anyone here is new to the series with Persona 5, go play SMT4/Apocalypse and Nocturne when you're done).

I do hope they branch out to other settings, though. As it stands, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is the only Persona game where your protagonist isn't a high school student. It'd be cool to try out other things. Either go for a university setting like some have suggested, or go crazy, like make the protagonist an actual grown-up detective who naturally has to hang out with a wide variety of people to solve this impossible-to-solve supernatural crime and has to struggle with the fact that they know it's supernatural but can't prove it.

Or, hell, do a Persona spin-off title. SMT4 Apocalypse is cool as a spin-off to SMT4. What if we got a follow-up to Persona 5 that directly follows up Persona 5's story but from a very different perspective? It'd let them reuse a ton of assets, including environment assets, while making a whole new game, just like Apocalypse did with SMT4.

I'm not really sure SMT4A qualifies as a spinoff... it's basically "This is SMT5, but it's tied even closer than usual (and in fact starts partway during SMT4), so we'll call it SMT4A instead".

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RealFoxy posted:

I just finished the first place and my stats are still pretty low, proficiency is the only thing I have up to level 2 iirc.

What are the best early ways to up this? I'd like to get up Guts and Charm; and I want to hit on the cute punk doctor.

Eat burgers and bathe.

(If anything, having anything at level 2 at that point is actually rather impressive)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We are getting an SMT game relatively soon. It's on the Switch.

Actually, I rather imagine Deep Strange Journey will be out first, so the next SMT game is on the 3DS.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lakbay posted:

If you're dating all your teammates they each have a response in that scene

Was super disappointed they didn't have an exclamation point over their heads afterwards and realize something was extremely fishy

And if you're dating people not in the study group, they randomly drop in to say their piece.

(Not really, but it'd be hilarious)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me, is there a fusion chart in the game at all? I have no idea how you're supposed to do some of those requests without using a guide or lots of trial and error.

It's in the manual.

This game's manual is actually insanely informative for some reason.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ChaosArgate posted:

The ps4 steelbook does not have a physical manual, so I doubt any physical version does.

Welcome to the wooooooooooorld of tomorroooooooooooow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unfortunately you need max-rank to unlock Satan (I think that's the max-rank Devil Arcana reward?), which is a component of Lucifer.

Max Devil's Beelzebub. Satan's in Judgment.