Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

cheesetriangles posted:

Put him in lockdown in the velvet room.
When you're actually exploring the cells of the Velvet Room and getting your party members, I super thought Goro was going to be there and that's when he'd join you

It'd be cool if he did join you in Persona 5 Royal, and he operates as a smaller Wild Card, where he can switch between Loki and Robin Hood. Maybe even to the other party member's arcana if he reaches "Rank 1" with them or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gen. Ripper posted:

being literally Hitler
:goonsay: well itsn't literally Hitler, but a form of Hitler birthed by the rumor that he never committed suicide and is now looking for the magic spaceship Xibalba sleeping under Sumaru Ciry born by nyarly's rumor magic :goonsay:

also the lance of longinus did not kill christ, but stabbed into his flesh to see if he was dead :goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

so yeah persona 2 is good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't remember if there was actually any reason to think this, but I was super prepared for the Mysterious Voice in Persona 4 Arena to be Nyarlathotep and that this was hoe they were going to work him back into the main cosmology.

in hindsight: lmao

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i seriously dont think i even knew there was a bad ending

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like this intro a lot better than the original one. The original one "looks cool" but it has no relevance or symbolism to the game's actual themes and really feels like it was made before the entire script was finalized. (The street ice skating is really dumb and there's so many shots of it) This new one is fun and goofy and I love Joker and Goro laying down together and smiling.

Like the one time Joker is in a shot with another character, it's with Goro. I love it

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 12, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Shinjobi posted:

That would be an absolutely bonkers twist and I don't know if that would be better.
Its better than the current message, that kids failed and corrupted by the system can only find hope by metaphorically blowing their own brains out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kaza42 posted:

Akechi didn't redeem himself or find hope by sacrificing his life. He momentarily stopped digging, but a moment where you aren't being evil doesn't suddenly make you good. He was a bad person with a stupid plan, and the only good interactions with him are when you dunk on him.
this is just not true. the entire party says how they relate to and understand him. they want to help him. "dunking" on him is entirely optional dialogue choice, hell you can even flirt with him.

goro is walking, talking example of what the phantom thieves were made to stop, and him just killing himself and then never talking about him again is such a bad ending

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, and those two party members are the people who understand him the most. Haru knows what it's like to have absolutely terribly family and Futaba is so painfully aware of what it's like to be desperately alone in the world. Hell, Goro was Futaba's current age when he killed Wakaba, so there's even a second layer of understanding.

They don't forgive and entirely accept him, but they don't think he's terrible irredeemable scum because he was and is a literal child when this happened. I don't know how this gray area the party has doesn't extend to players.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

YaketySass posted:

Would you say that the other PTs are kids "failed by the system" who found a way out that didn't involve murdering people?
I would say they were being failed, yeah, but none as completely as Goro who was alone his entire life. Like even Futaba had one person in her life that cared about her and worked to make her life better. Even Madarame cared about Yusuke in some way. And they all found a way out by finding each other. This is something Goro wonders about, if he had found the Thieves or even just Joker earlier, things could have turned out so much better. Like Goro is another Wild Card user, but only has one other Persona because you are literally the only other bond hes ever had.

Goro and Shido are, perhaps very poorly done, commentary on the Japanese foster system and politics with regards to them so I feel there is also some context in understanding how Japan regards orphaned and unwanted children that would help make Goro seem more understandable

Arist posted:

(It's because the writing surrounding it isn't very good and so it feels unearned)
Lol yeah. I'll admit that I'm probably doing a lot of Atlus' work for them here

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Goros "true" outfit sucks so if he sticks with it that's my punishment for him actually joining the party

His marching band theater troupe leader outfit is just so good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kaza42 posted:

I recruited Magus because the timeline was at stake. I never stopped thinking he was a villain.

Goro has basically no redeeming features, he didn't fall from grace so much as gleefully leap into the void and engage rocket boots to plummet further
This is such a bonkers way to talk about a fictional teenager

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like Goro, and think Mishima being treated like poo poo is bad. I am all powerful.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

pretty carefully presented as apolitically as possible
new thread title

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

To be fair, the Akechi Defense Force is pretty much down to just one person whose posts are incredibly bad and who has so little ground to stand on that their final argument before everyone moves on is an ironic hope that in P5R Akechi is even worse and you still bone him
hello!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's hard to tell because the camera is so tight, but i just noticed that the buildings the theives are smashing in the new opening has writing on it that's pretty associated with the character. Joker destroys Rehabilitation, Goro smashes Arrogance, Futaba smashes Suppress, Haru stops to look at one that says Oppression, Makoto smashes -ostern?

i like that!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god it is hilarious how they have to put in a mysterious new character every spinoff or remake. it rules

HIJK posted:

If I get Scramble it'll be on PS4 as chuds can't shut up about how awful Sony is for censoring loli games on Playstation and are trying to enshrine the Switch.
what

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you giving $60 dollars to sony wont anyone angry man, i promise you

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Switch has gravure model games on there because gently caress it man, you're probably an adult, you want this or not?

also this is a game series where you can now date a fiteen year old OR a thirty year old so like what are ya doing. who are you sticking it to

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 24, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
alright im gonna save this thread with my signature move

i like goro akechi

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they did make a persona game with mostly people in their 20s and 30s and it was called persona 2 ete [gets headshotted from three miles away]

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Serious answer: No, I honestly doubt that. That isn't a video game P-Team really seems interested in. Catherine was an interesting experiment with people in their late 20's so at some point they were tossing some ideas around and I personally really like some aspects of the story and characters of that, but the high school setting just does so incredibly well for them and they center so much of the game's story and events around High School and Being A Teen and haven't swayed from that since "rebooting" the franchise that I don't see them pivoting. Even Persona 2 has you going to a high school and considering the perils of transitioning into unguided young adulthood

With how much 5 expanded the city aspect, I kind of imagine Persona 6 returning to a small town setting, but this time it's fully walk around-able with no loading.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
eh not really. goro has a lot of problems but being a weirdo about women was never one of them. his loneliness is deeper than TFW No GF imo

Airspace posted:

How did the remake of EP fare saleswise?

I heard it wasn't great but I don't know if it was 'bad for a video game in Japan' or just 'bad for a Persona game', which I feel like are two separate numbers.
it did like 25k in japan it's first week iirc, when every other persona remake on psp did like closer to 100k. i remember it was the only one that didn't break 50k, not even close

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fojar38 posted:

Akechi is going to be redeemed in P5R
hey you said it, not me for once

I'm sincerely very interested in that they're actually giving him a social link you progress on your own time. I wonder if that will help make him more palatable to people felt he was just showing up and talking at the player.

I also wonder if his free days will be pretty strict due to his "work" or if he'll actually be open constantly because of how little a social life he has

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
no, she just joins the profession in japan that loses 99% of the time, will almost never see trial and is primarily there to negotiate plea deals and settlements

but don't worry! her little sister becomes a cop in her place ensuring that nothing actually changed and the status quo is upheld!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gen. Ripper posted:

Sae would 100% have thrown Makoto onto the streets if she was gay/disabled/trans/etc..

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hellioning posted:

Didn't that exact thing happen in P4, too?
Persona 3 does this too!

Except the situation isn't THAT serious so Yukari is like "what the gently caress are you doing you goon?" and the link reverses

i love it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sydin posted:

The Akechi changes aren't as awful as I thought they'd be either: If you max out Akechi's confidant (which is now progressed manually) he takes the fall for Joker on Christmas and winds up in jail in his place. Then he shows up in the dream world. Except it turns out it really isn't him, but rather the manifestation of Joker's wish: that he could have saved Akechi. When you undo the dream world it turns out Akechi taking the fall for Joker never happened and you wind up in jail like the vanilla game.The only "real" change is that there's some ambiguous shots in the ending cutscene that imply Akechi is still alive.
this sucks and literally does nothing for goro's character. it sounds like nothing changes if you DON'T max it out while making joker look like a psycho

joker, watching all of his friends sympathize with goro and try to make a connection with him to encourage him to turn his life around: man i hope you die here

e: im sure it'll be at least a little better in practice, and i've heard other things that contradict this but man that's terrible

e2: okay yeah that above quote isn't entirely true it seems? from what I've read Maxing out Goro's Link will lead to him killing Cognitive Goro, and he does actually take the blame for The Phantom Theives, not his own crimes. Suddenly on January 1st, he's released from jail and that's when he knows that something is wrong.The Dream World Goro IS actually Goro, partly there by Joker wanting to save him but also by Goro wanting to start over, not just an idealized Goro that Joker wanted, he's a real boy. Goro joins the Phantom Thieves for real, donning his Black Mask form and using Loki . At the end, Joker is given the choice to end the dream world, and Goro really encourages you to do this, despite knowing that things won't be great for him. (You can chose not do it and live in the dream world and Goro's like "Alright I guess". Denying the dream world evolves Goro's Persona into Hereward the Wake, the figure that Robin Hood was maybe based on. Once back in the real world, Goro is missing and Joker goes to jail, only to appear very briefly passing by Joker on the train

That's at least better but again I'll have to see it. Here's Herewald tho

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 4, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sydin posted:

I mean, I guess that's better? idk I didn't feel like Goro really needed the game to "do anything his character" or whatever, he's a murderous piece of poo poo regardless of his circumstances.

Oh well, looking forward to pulling a Marche and crushing everybody's hopes and dreams because can't you see it's escapism?!
Them not actually having Goro go to jail for you is stupid I admit but it's weird to call Goro a "murderous piece of poo poo" and then also not care that he's actually acknowledging his fuckups and seeking penance for them. Like should the teenager just go die in a hole? Go kill yourself teenage boy!

also "regardless of his circumstances" is just a weird label to put on a fictional child. This might sound sarcastic but the biggest failure of P5's writing is probably the fact that a lot of players can't seem to generate sympathy with Goro despite all of the party members doing it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's a really unfair reading of him both taking the blame for you, testifying against Shido and his whole encouraging you to end the dream world. Going back to the real world comes at the cost of himself, he doesn't know what will happen, he might be back in jail, he might be back dead on the ship, he doesn't know, but he's ready to face that. Hell, he even returns to his Black Mask design, showing that he's accepted he's not a hero of justice but a criminal. And choosing to go back to the real world evolves Robin Hood, showing some strength of character

Again, it's dumb as hell that he doesn't go to jail in all actuality, at least a little bit, but that feels more like Atlus not wanting to give a third semester.

e:

Oxxidation posted:

the brokebrained performative outrage over the fictional teenager is probably emphasized because nothing else in P5 makes its audience feel much of anything

Yeah even if they did make you successfully care for Goro (it really feels like the cilantro gene or lactose tolerance if you do), he promptly exits stage left and everyone forgets about him anyway

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Please go back to the scene on the ship where the party, including Futaba and Haru, implore Goro to help them fight Shido by empathizing with him. They don't forgive him, but they understand him and dont want him to die here.

The last sentence of your post is definitely true, but you gotta have some caveats for people who are literally fourteen when they start doing that or else it starts to look psycho