Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

my favorite thing is how the characters always tell joker not to wear his glasses when an animated cutscene is coming up

Or tell him to wear a different uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Finally finished, True Ending and all. The cool part is I didn't have to look at a guide to get it. It just naturally flowed from the story. I guess they learned their lesson after P4's convoluted fuckery.

It was definitely the best of the new-gen Persona games, but there was something they did in P3 and P4 which they didn't do here that I missed. Specifically, the month of the general populace freaking the gently caress out over the encroachment of the other world. Watching the steady decline of those random no-name NPCs you've been talking to throughout the game really drove home the existential shitstorm that was about to go down. The huge jump in Apathy Syndrome and the spreading of the Fog were pretty jarring from a story telling perspective. But, in this game, it all happens over a single day and a couple cut scenes. And you only get to see it if you go for the true ending.

It was pretty baller that you're actually acknowledged by the populace for your deeds. Though, I guess it fits the motif of the game better.

Now, to go back to my last save, try to grind out those top level persona and re-beat the game.

All that still happens though. Through the website poll constantly decreasing even after the Phantom Thieves big comeback and all those scenes you get with the public talking about how they still want Shido for president despite him confessing. If anything I thought they could have done with focusing on it a little less.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sophism posted:

I'm 90 hours in and about to finish the 4th dungeon. (I know, I'm really slow. I just get sidetracked exploring, eavesdropping on all the NPCs, experimenting with fusions and grinding for stuff I really want... like saving up for a full set of Takemi's SP adhesives early in the second dungeon... only to find out shortly afterwards that Yoshida trivializes the money grind.)

Anyway, my question is... without any spoilers at all, how far away am I from completing the game?

About 100 more hours or so if you keep at your current pace.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

This is my first ever Persona game, and my first ATLUS game, and I got it on the strength of the visuals and good word of mouth - It reminded me of a slightly more mature The World Ends With You, and I was enamored with that game when I was younger.

I'm currently up to Shido's Palace, and so far, I'm really enjoying the storyline, visuals and gameplay mechanics. There are a few moments that leave me scratching my head somewhat, such as how... Well, hollow my character's relationship feels. I romanced Tae, and it feels like once you reach Rank 10 it never really comes up again? It's been a couple of months since I saw her and no repercussions for that. I was sort of surprised that the incredibly cool No-Good Tora was texting me asking if I was okay post-'suicide' before my 2D waifu was.

This is a very minor complaint, though. Almost all the confidants are surprisingly touching, especially your teacher. There have been quite a few moments where the game has actually made me laugh out loud (usually something Ryuji or Futaba says or does), or moments where I felt frustration and empathy for their grievances (Morgana don't act like you weren't slinging poo poo at Ryuji, too), which has been more invested in the storyline in a game than I've felt since pretty much New Vegas.

Overall, I've been very impressed. This completely came out of left field for me, but a hugely enjoyable game. I just hope it manages to stick the landing, endgame wise. Guess I'll see!

One question is if there are things that I wouldn't get being unfamiliar with the Persona/SMT series. Carry over characters and such. Do you play as heart stealers every game, or are there recurring characters?

Romance in Persona games are never really a big deal or well-integrated into anything. It's kind of a shame especially in this game since the overall writing is super solid.

About the series as a whole though, if you're asking whether stealing hearts is the plot of every game then it's not. You play as completely different characters in different settings and stories every game, although a couple of the p4 spinoffs have characters from p3 and I imagine any p5 spinoff will do the same. Only regularly occurring characters outside of that are Igor and a bunch of Personas, not the party's ones though. Big gameplay differences between them too, p3-5 are pretty similar but other smt games will be rather different.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

This is my first playthrough of a time-management style game like this, and I think I'm near the end.

I've only maxed out Ryuji, Doctor Tae, No-Good Tora and Maid Sensei, and the mandatory Sae. Everyone else is hovering around 5-8, and some are about 2-3 (Futuba, Sojiro, Haru). I haven't even met The Tower yet. I think they're the only one I'm missing.

I don't think I prioritized well to begin with.

If you don't max Sojiro then you're missing out because he's my favourite confidant in the game. Or you could watch it on youtube which i'm sure exists by now.

Also, Tower has like 3 steps to start which are detailed in the OP, but you get him around September i'm pretty sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I named him Joker Phantom.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Rise has better recovery skills and better analysis, since they gave that part of the skillset to Makoto instead of Futaba.

In terms of tactical value? Futaba is so far beyond it isn't even a contest. She can give the entire party a Concentrate/Charge.

I think Rise can do something similar in Golden? Or maybe i'm getting that confused with one of other new abilities she gets.

GimmickMan posted:

Position Hack is the sickest thing a navigator has ever done for the team in any Persona game.

This is what decides the answer though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

I wouldn't mind this so much if they didn't all act so disappointed when you say no. It makes me feel so bad.

Wouldn't it be weirder if they weren't disappointed?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I am currently fighting who I assume is the final boss the giant angel form of the Holy Grail, Relabathal or whatever his name is. Anyway I manage to get him down to his last fifth of life or so. But then he brings out all of his green weapons and once and begins charging an attack. Even when blocking this attack instantly kills all my party members. What do I do in this situation? Do I just use defense buffs on my team and attack debuffs on him? Or can I repel the attack or something?

Just rush him down. Taking out his arms will cancel the attack i'm pretty sure, but I just killed him before he could use it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

My people aren't that strong I think. Plus, IIRC the arms aren't separately selected for the attack.

What level are your guys? Because seemingly I was fairly low levelled for that fight compared to a lot of others and I had no trouble. Just pop a defence debuff on him and go to town, he doesn't attack while he's charging i'm pretty sure. Ryuji should have Mataru by this point so maybe swap him in for the party wide attack buff and also for his generally crazy damage. If the arms aren't selectable it might just be that doing enough damage will cancel the attack in general.

Edit: I just checked youtube and the arms are totally selectable.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

My party is in the mid to low 60s.

Is that serviceable?

Mine were a bit higher. Around 67 if I remember right, but you should be good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Strega is so boring. Just sooooo boring.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

3's a lot better in having the non-MC characters show that they have actual lives and motivations, and the character growth writing is pretty top-notch other than Fuuka.

It's just a shame that most of the gameplay is so dated now.

I don't think this game was really lacking in giving characters motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has there been any rumbling about Persona 5 Arena?

I have been getting into fighting games this year and would actually want to check that out

Atlus trademarked several titles which seemed like potential spin-offs including a P5A but even if they've already got plans to make it I doubt development has really started or that the game will be announced for a year or two.