Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lol at the (un??!?)ironic link to the rhizzone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Could you stop making GBS threads up the thread with self quotes and laffo spams? They add nothing to the discussion and suggest you have no intention to meaningfully engage in discussion.

lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Azathoth posted:

It will never not be funny to me that what the Democrats are doing right now with Trump and Russia is exactly what the Republicans did with Hillary and the private email server, and Trump and the Republicans are responding with the same combination of this doesn't matter / everyone does it / this is a witch-hunt / this is distracting us from the real issues / etc. that Hillary and friends failed to sell to the American public.

???

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

not only is there zero evidence of collusion with the russian government, there's not even an allegation of what if anything illegal or unethical may have happened

???

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

jimmy's point is that gaslighting about a connection merely because it's russian is basically xenophobia and an absurd variation of mccarthyism

I don't think that's mccarthyism bub.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imagine the thought police coming for the fascist views of some of the most powerful people in the country. Who's next!?!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mccarthyism was a witchhunt involving accusing people of being communists or being associated with communists and therefore they must be evil. the shade of mccarthyism here is insinuating nefarious deeds for merely having a business association with a russian. there's not even any action that is alleged that Manafort actually did that might be unethical or illegal while in the trump campaign. there's just the insinuation that he must have done something bad because RUSSIANS!

Have u heard the soviet union doesn't exist

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

that's why it's a variation of mccarthyism and why it's so ridiculous. communist soviet russia is literally dead and theyre a capitalist corrupt plutocracy like the US now, but the media and politicians are still gaslighting as if russia was still communist and merely associating someone with russia is somehow a success in painting someone as bad

hmm so bad things can't be bad because...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

he's making a point that this gaslighting would be a lot less effective if you replaced russia with italy or some poo poo because of historical xenophobia from the cold war. in a sane world merely associating someone with russia would be just as effective as merely associating someone with norway. he's not saying the countries are the same politically or ethically.

how is this remotely "gaslighting"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

if there's nothing to hide, it's actually way smarter for trump to let the democrats and media hang themselves on a witchhunt that goes nowhere

how are they "hanging themselves"? People don't give a poo poo that there was nothing behind Benghazi so it seems like it's either that or something does come from it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

journalists from the AP are literally insinuating manafort must have done something bad or been trying to spread putin's influence because he had in the past lobbied for a russian businessman. they're not even alleging manafort did any specific concrete illegal or unethical action. theyre just insinuating he must be bad or done something bad because RUSSIA

well that and embezzling tens of millions of dollars

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lol who's gonna be "I would have been voting for this milquetoast lib but I won't because they talked about a russia thing that there was circumstantial evidence for but nothing concrete came from it"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What's your endgame for caring about Russia? Bad dems are still going to confirm Trumps SCOTUS appointments, ACA still going away, and Hillary will still never be president.

Dunno why get angry about it then?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

maybe the obama administration shouldn't have negotiated that giant uranium deal with russia if they felt that way lol

Are you telling me that things have happened between 2009 and now that might have changed relations?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
As far as I'm concerned this Russia stuff seems like a roll of the dice of something that might force the true hardline white nationalists in the trump administration to resign. Even if they're replaced by total ghouls (they will be) this is a plus. If it doesn't go anywhere then who cares.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Well you can be "mad" about Russia but more importantly don't let it be a distraction to what the current dem shitheads in the senate are doing behind the scenes.

Cause that's what the Bad-dems are doing right now.

I'm not sure what mechanism you are proposing for bad dems to stop being bad in the short term. I mean primary them in 2018 but how does this russia stuff make them worse?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

This is the wrong lesson to learn from 2016. Please never engage in real-life politics, including voting, ever again.

Thanks.

wait what's going on?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The media needs to shine their spotlight on the bad things Trump is currently doing, not what they did.

dunno, both delegatimize him, formal investigations will always be months behind in any case.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imagine if Trump did a bad thing and wasn't immediately punished for it in a substantial way . I'd then have to look for another totally different thing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Opposition to this line is more opposition against the type of person fanatically pushing it than opposition against the line itself.

wait what?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Boy that was essentially a perfect example:

so what's the problem again?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm confused why the investigation of potential major crimes by people in power is bad?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

a desperate hope that this kills republicans nationally, because the current terrifying alternative is a leftward shift of the dem party.

Wait what? Nothing would help leftist primary challengers more than a shattered republican party.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

the idea is that the dems change nothing and win everything i don't see why you're having a hard time with this

Well no poo poo people like Schumer and Feinstein are going to change nothing. That's why you primary them out of office.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
QQQ bad dems are so mean to me. Why won't they come to my side. I tried asking them nicely.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Agreed here. But is "Russia = bad" the best way to do it? An investigation is occurring, which is good. Why push McCarthyism as well?

uhh russia isn't communist bub

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

what in the world

I don't understand the part of the left that's sad because they think neoliberal shitheads are secret leftists and only need to start pushing a true left agenda.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

No one is saying not to investigate.

uhh a bunch of people in this thread are all hot and bothered because people are pushing to investigate

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dunno, the pro assad left is pretty loving pathetic

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yep. But that is neither here nor there wrt the dems desperately trying to regain power and maintain the status quo.

On the plus side though, people like Jeffersonclay are dumb enough that they won't need to be appealed to when the current dems collapse and are replaced with progressives.

yes but bad dems aren't going away. they need to become the minority part of the coalition and then be whipped into shape so they fear getting primaried.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I feel like the bad-dems will go away when they go extinct by staying on the current path. The problem is the bad dems will be the last ones left with D's by their name, and we will get the trump and Cruz republicans creating the new party.

Well working on discrediting the explicitly white supremacist wing though their ties to russia isn't a bad start.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Brother Friendship posted:

On one hand I genuinely am glad to understand just how lovely and corrupt the Democratic party is because it makes it so simple to tear the entire institution apart and demand reform. The corruption in the media, the Democratic party and the entire political and economic system were on full on display due to the info dumps that were strategically timed before the convention and during October to maximize their impact. It makes it so easy to make a case that the entire system is broken and must be reformed because it's naked incompetence. The Sanders wing of the party is ascendant and it's absolutely imperative to keep it that way, and the info dumps were a massive blow against the establishment.

But it was done primarily to insert a dim witted fascist into the most powerful position of the world with no consideration to the people it would hurt. It was done to expand Russian influence abroad, which is not necessarily a bad thing, except what does Russia offer? The systematic murder of its own citizens based off the whims of an ever aging autocrat? A broken, resource based economy and a sprawling network of rotten infrastructure? The undermining of democratic institutions through money transfers and use of state assets, such as intelligence services to find compromising data on your political opponents? Invasion of neighbors and the seizure of sovereign territory? Massive military support of fascist regimes such as Assad and whatever other monster might serve their interest? Putin offers a contribution of poison to the world. gently caress him!

clinton bad russia bad

stomps feet

Clinton is bad but the emails didn't show anything bad in them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
In any case exposing and helping remove the Russian support for the nationalist far right parties in the US, UK, Germany, and France is a good step no matter what and I'm not sure why some "leftists" are against it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fiction posted:

I have Hilary brain AIDS and I love to draw attention away from the wing of the party that gave us trump

oh man the attention is running out!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gringostar posted:

second one

vietnam was a massive black eye to the us on the world stage

plus vietnam was being supported more by china then russia so it was a win/win for them to keep it going

plus the whole cuban missile crisis that LBJ was vice president during

Vietnam most certainly wasn't not in the sinosphere during the war. The north was fighting with maoists in Cambodia, and fought a war with china directly after unifying the country, and had major direct russian support.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

let's offer no vision, no platform, and no message. this worked absolutely wonderfully for the democrats in the 2016 elections, so let's repeat this strategy. russian hysteria and negative trump messaging will surely work this time

???

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

you make republicans and trump the obstacles to progressive change so that people throw them out and vote for you. forcing trump to veto progressive legislation would be a huge win.

right now, the democrats are the obstacles to progressive change

a huge amount of voters identify as independent instead of democrat since the 2008 elections because they are becoming disillusioned with the party

???

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Who's red-baiting?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

people are more upset about russians doing some nebulous hacking and stealing this election than they were when george bush literally stole the election in 2000

People were pretty dang angry about that too but also didn't have any clear path forward though the courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Alienwarehouse posted:

From things that poor people care about, such as healthcare, social security, unions, and SNAP.

But yeah, Putin hacked my Obamacare account.

hmm so maybe we should do nothing to hurt trumps ability to destroy all those

• Locked thread