Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

Movie is so loving dope. The soundtrack is killer (I wish there was like, just a touch more hip-hop, but there's a really nice variety overall), the acting is great, and the movie is directed as if Edgar Wright were directing the last motion picture ever so he had to go balls to the loving wall. I'm definitely gonna get out to see it again.

I really really wish that more directors would use editing and music like Edgar Wright. It's hard to watch something like Baby Driver which is filled with so much life and rhythm and energy and then go back to watch an average blockbuster.

Cameos, notes and Edgar Wright Directing Tricks I noticed:

*The words of Harlem Shuffle being grafitti'd on the wall as Baby was dancing to them was very fun
*I knew Paul Williams was gonna show up and he was wonderful giving that monologue about how great pigs are, but seeing the ATL twins out of nowhere blew me away. Clearly Wright likes Spring Breakers as much as I do.
*I'm sure if I went back I could get a better grip, but I'm pretty sure Baby flipping through the channels towards the beginning was our Patented Edgar Wright Gives The Story Away In The First Act moment.
*The lighting in the final battle between Baby and Buddy was spot on; Jon Hamm was lit in red, mirroring Darling's talk earlier about him seeing red.
*God Sky Ferreira has a beautiful voice. I really wish the soundtrack had a full recording of her singing Easy; the one on there now is only a minute or two long.
*I loved how Edgar Wright framed the violence (or rather, didn't frame the violence) early on in the movie to mirror Baby's ignoring of the actual consequences of what he was doing.
*I can't believe how Bats died. I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen going into it other than that Jon Hamm would be the final villain, but for some reason I expected Bats to secretly be nice and Doc to be a cold bastard, rather than how it turned out.
*Also well used: stereo sound. What you hear mirrors what the characters hear, so when Baby only has one bud in, you only get the music out of one side (the same side as he's listening to, of course).

I'm sure there's more I missed in there. Wright stuffs his movies to the gills with little hints, references and funny little jokes, I'm gonna really enjoy what other people see in the movie that I completely missed. So go loving see it you losers. Make this movie the surprise hit of the summer so we can get more Edgar Wright action movies.

Aw that stereo sounds like a neat trick :(

Movie was drat good, well put together. Weird release day though

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waltzing Along posted:

I used to work in a bank cash vault. I literally would carry 3.2 million dollars around at a time. That's the place to rob. Of course there were armed guards and multiple security doors. But that's where the $$$ was.

3.2 million dollars: 2 bags, each with 1.6 million. That's 16 100,000 stacks. Each stack was 10 groups of 100 bounds 100s. But yeah, it's hard not to carry that amount of cash and have thoughts. I think they were about 20 pounds per bag.

Are those notes sequential or marked?
Plus a lot of banking is electronic nowadays

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

10 Beers posted:

Just saw this and loved it. Was I the only one a little disappointed that Buddy and Baby didn't have a crazy chase through the city? Especially since Buddy specifically referenced having been a wheel man.

I hoped for that too, like the chase in Point Break where they're crashing through stuff.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And bats was never wrong either! The heist failed because baby wanted it to fail :getin:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

No, I think it's kind of like they think he's sold out a little bit.

I bet they don't like Snatch either

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Spergatory posted:

For me, it's less creepy because for the majority of Baby's life, his mom has been nothing but an extremely rose-colored idea. I mean, poo poo. A little research shows that the kid who played Young Baby was six when the movie was filmed. Do you know how much I knew about my mom at age six? I'm not even entirely sure I knew her real name. For Baby, his mom is a series of distant images that make him feel nice, but little more than that. And none of those images are of her as a waitress. When Baby remembers his mom, he remembers her everywhere but the diner. His primary and most comforting image of her is as a singer. Even when Debora tries to invoke the image of her as a waitress by asking if she worked at the diner, Baby looks a little uncomfortable and kind of brushes past it and says she was a singer. Because that's how he prefers to remember her.

All that helps bring down the oedipal vibes to relatively normal levels. Yes, "normal" levels; I hate to break it to you, but it's actually ridiculously common, even among non-hosed-up people, to marry someone who strongly resembles your opposite-sex parent. This is true even with animals. Biology is hosed up, man.

It's times like these I'm slightly thankful I'm gay as hell and don't have to worry about this. :iamafag:

So are you into dudes that look like your dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In high school I learned how to sign gently caress you xD

• Locked thread