Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

So, are you single?

With these toilet skills? Obviously not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

HycoCam posted:

e: Also, wondered what lights fixtures you used?

Thanks for the compliments. Im still so happy at how it all turned out. Ive got so much more confidence moving onto our master bathroom which is also coated in that ugly brown acrylic and is 5'x13'. Seriously a hallway bathroom.

The lights dont seem to be made anymore but if you google for "elan 24" brushed nickel led" theres some similar ones and the style matches. We ended up really springing for the right lights. We bought and returned like 4 different sets because color temperature and lumens and the glass color made a gigantic difference in the ambiance.

Final cost all in for that bathroom was $13,000 and took us about 6 months. 3 months was waiting on that vanity (backordered) and another month was just killed in the "oh god im scared to move to the next step, have i watched enough youtube videos?!" The only hire out was the plumbers and that was around 2800 and worth every penny.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

JB50 posted:

Bidet supremacy! I now dread pooping somewhere that isnt home, and I USED to love pooping at work.

I have this installed on the toilet pictured above flushing the nuggets. The American Standard Champion.

:yeah:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

silicone thrills posted:

So as a FEMALE who did a full DIY gut job on my bathroom and designed it - here's an album of what I did.

http://imgur.com/a/sshEl

I didn't have nearly as much space as you to work with and unfortunately there are zero windows so no natural light. I did every thing I could however to make it as bright and open feeling as possible.

Also if you don't install a bidet you are missing out. Ladies - Bidets are so loving awesome for getting fresh post sexy times. If you want to be the guy who fucks - get a bidet.

Also I've been in Drape's amazing tiny blue tile sunken bath tub during a party. That poo poo is hilarious. I feel like it should be preserved like a museum piece for crazy poo poo people did during the 60s.

drat that is on point. Especially the liquor glass pre bubble bath.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

JB50 posted:

Bidet supremacy! I now dread pooping somewhere that isnt home, and I USED to love pooping at work.

I have this installed on the toilet pictured above flushing the nuggets. The American Standard Champion.
I have this exact attachment on my toilet, and I also feel uncivilized pooping anywhere without a bidet. Seriously they're simple to install and cheap. And you use less toilet paper too. (Spring for the better model with the steel hose though, as the cheaper plastic one starts to leak after a while.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My last job was at an outsourced IT firm and one of their big clients is an apartment management company that owns over two dozen buildings in my city. I was at one of the buildings to look at an issue and I noticed that they appeared to have converted a janitorial closet into a random restroom.

100% certain that is not ADA compliant.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does that insulation also have asbestos in it to really put the cherry on top?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

silicone thrills posted:

So as a FEMALE who did a full DIY gut job on my bathroom and designed it - here's an album of what I did.

I didn't have nearly as much space as you to work with and unfortunately there are zero windows so no natural light. I did every thing I could however to make it as bright and open feeling as possible.

Also if you don't install a bidet you are missing out. Ladies - Bidets are so loving awesome for getting fresh post sexy times. If you want to be the guy who fucks - get a bidet.

Also I've been in Drape's amazing tiny blue tile sunken bath tub during a party. That poo poo is hilarious. I feel like it should be preserved like a museum piece for crazy poo poo people did during the 60s.

MY WIFE did all the tearout on ours, helped me drag the old tub out and set the new whirlpool bath. We had to cut the drywall to angle it in, but no studs were harmed. She also set the pedestal sink and textured and tiled the walls. Liberally, but it looks ok.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Bathroom reno looks awesome! Good for you.

Bonus sheep pic:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh cool a functional tasteful bathroom reno where the top stringer on an engineered beam was not cut.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

Oh cool a functional tasteful bathroom reno where the top stringer on an engineered beam was not cut.

Yeah, no sense of adventure at all, 2/10

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

silicone thrills posted:

This looks real, real good. Super functional, with plenty of minimalist class. I mean, it's a little too minimalist for my own tastes, but I'm the guy with the loving school-bus yellow bathroom drinking Mai Tais instead of Scotch in the tub, so you know. It's a top-tier example of builder quality in a DIY job!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I put American Standard Cadet 3 toilets in my old place. Fantastic, never clogged, nothing stuck to the bowl. Now I have these Niagara 0.8 GPF super efficient toilets that I got for free was paid $100 by the state of California to install. These things work fine, but they get dirty almost instantly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Mine is a million years old and has the same issue. I heard there's some coating they use to make it so slippery bacteria can't get a foothold, but mine must be so old it's worn off. (Or from before its invention!) Anyone know if there's an aftermarket version?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Mine is a million years old and has the same issue. I heard there's some coating they use to make it so slippery bacteria can't get a foothold, but mine must be so old it's worn off. (Or from before its invention!) Anyone know if there's an aftermarket version?

Isn't it just the quality of the porcelain surface? I suppose maybe after so many years you could have mineral buildup. Maybe soak it in some CLR or white vinegar?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm sure the OP is still lurking here, and even though we're busting his balls, I'm sure that most of us, myself included hope that he gets poo poo worked out properly.

Don't take this personally OP but I had a flash of inspiration after work last night, when I was showering in my (builder grade) bathroom.

Here is my latest creation, which I call "The Sounds of Building Science".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbBLKet14E

Hello bathroom my old friend
I've come to alter you again.
This builder grade poo poo is just not for me
I need a ballin place where I can pee
And the vision that was formed inside my brain
is so insane

Its just not sound........... building science

I cut through studs inside my walls
all those cuts they were not small
It felt just like i had no choice,
When i cut the tops off my floor joists
When i posted pictures on the somethiiiiiiing awful boards
they came in hordes

It was not sound.... building science

and in that thead they :laffo:
Ten thousand goons or maybe more
People posting without helping
Some creepy fucker who tried doxxing
someone wrote a song that voices will never share
No one cares

Disturbing building.... Science

Fools that I do not know
Mold just like a cancer grows
Hear the things that I might just do
In this place where I take a poo
But my tub like a giant boulder fell

Echoing the sounds of building science

To a moldy god they pray
How much more will grow today
And the floor it creaked in its warning
All that rot that has been forming

And the goons said the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls.
As my bathroom falls

It was not soundd......... building science.......

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

I'm sure the OP is still lurking here, and even though we're busting his balls, I'm sure that most of us, myself included hope that he gets poo poo worked out properly.

Don't take this personally OP but I had a flash of inspiration after work last night, when I was showering in my (builder grade) bathroom.

Here is my latest creation, which I call "The Sounds of Building Science".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbBLKet14E
*Lyrics*

:perfect:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
When I remodeled the lone (at the time) bathroom in my house I kept the 50+ year old Standard toilet as it flushed so well and I was worried about new hippy eco toilets. When I converted a closet into a half bath later I used a new Kohler toilet with some kind of "air flush" thing and man it is fantastic! I could definitely see it taking on the nugget challenge.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This song lyric poo poo is a cancer on this forums

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This song lyric poo poo is a cancer on this forums

I didn't realize it was an epidemic. Is it mainly a GBS thing? I read a few threads there and a couple other forums, but the majority of my time is spent in AI and TFR.

Sorry if I'm not down with the latest forum trends, worn out or otherwise.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

wesleywillis posted:

I didn't realize it was an epidemic. Is it mainly a GBS thing? I read a few threads there and a couple other forums, but the majority of my time is spent in AI and TFR.

Sorry if I'm not down with the latest forum trends, worn out or otherwise.

Yeah I mean, A+ for effort but I'm trying to figure out when Mark Russell became the height of comedy around here

Everyone knows the one true comic artform is people falling down :colbert:

Edit: this isn't showing up for some reason, but pro-click, trust me
http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/easy-task-fail-wheelbarrow.gif

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I mean, A+ for effort but I'm trying to figure out when Mark Russell became the height of comedy around here

Must be something in the water... I looked him up on Wikipedia. He grew up just across the river from me. Though he was born about 50years before me....

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 12, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
God drat. You all managed to scare the OP away without me, just by calling him a misogynist.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

You have good shower inspiration.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

Really nice work!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

kid sinister posted:

God drat. You all managed to scare the OP away without me, just by calling him a misogynist.

im permabanned poster kidsinister. i first started reading diy when i was about 18. by 20 i got really obsessed with the concept of "safe construction practices" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "you hosed up" and "post a picture of the outlet" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, call inspectors on strangers on the internet etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "amateur" style of diy construction was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" diy to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to making your house collapse. peace.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
was i picked on by inspectors? hmm let me think

* Weighed my tub @ 750 pounds
* Parents were both Grover (long story)
* Rode a bathtub to the kitchen every day
* Had the title "salesman" instead of engineer

bEatmstrJ posted:

"feminism?!" bEatmstrJ kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, tearing out walls. he kramers against his own bathtub, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "They're females, what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

proposal: a forum for "responsible do-it-yourself" and "home improvement"

reality: a man falls through the floor and into his kitchen. taking a load-bearing stud from the wall he spies row upon row of engineered ibeams. grasping the nearest by the flange, he saws through it madly, yelling "im adding value to my home"

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 12, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Evilreaver posted:

reality: a man falls through the floor and into his kitchen. taking a load-bearing stud from the wall he spies row upon row of engineered ibeams. grasping the nearest by the flange, he saws through it madly, yelling "im adding value to my home"

Delightful.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Evilreaver posted:

Have you tried contemporary decor my nigga?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
OP's botched attempt to make his bathroom look like a hotel actually makes me feel a little bit better about my hotel-turned-apartment bathroom.. It may not be pretty, but at least it's still functional. :unsmith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

silicone thrills posted:

that bathroom looks great.

loving hell. OP. way to be Mr notlistentotheladiesnofunman

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
My friend's apartment has a very frustrating bathroom:

:catstare: Why would someone do that. Why. His apartment is in a building from 1890 that has clearly been divided and re-divided and partially/badly renovated a million times. It was originally an office building, I think. His apartment used used to be two incredibly tiny studios that they stuck together, so he ended up with a one-bedroom with two full bathrooms. The back wall of his closet is actually a permanently locked door to the hallway.

For fun, here's the horrorshow that was my old apartment's bathroom! It was in a house built in 1855, so the bathrooms were tacked on to the back of the house when indoor plumbing became available. (I live in a small town in a rural state, so I'm sure it took a while.)

Very narrow doorway, slanted ceiling, tiny mirror that only reflected your shirt when you stood at the sink.

What happens when you have wood flooring in the bathroom that isn't properly sealed? Someday the toilet leaks, the floor turns black, and mold grows on it. Apparently. (It was like that when I moved in; my roommates already lived there at the time.) I didn't get a picture of it, but the floor around the big clawfoot tub was also super hosed-up. At the time I just prayed that when the tub inevitably falls through the floor someday, it'd be after I moved out. I would've loved to take a bath in that thing, but that seemed too risky. :(

Behold! A beautiful pipe. My landlord only bought the place a few months before I moved in, and he kept the tenants who were there at the time of sale. If he doesn't eventually make everyone move out so he can completely redo the bathroom, the moisture damage is only going to get worse, since there's no bathroom fan... and installing one now seems like it'd be pointless on its own. I'm so glad I live in a nicer place now. :sun:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I can't help but notice no one has mentioned the most important element of a women focused bathroom: A large section of shower wall, about shoulder height, for storing loose hair.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I can't help but notice no one has mentioned the most important element of a women focused bathroom: A large section of shower wall, about shoulder height, for storing loose hair.

I thought loose hair was stored in the shower drain?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

ulmont posted:

I thought loose hair was stored in the shower drain?

Its caught in the drain for future storage on the wall.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

you were warned posted:

My friend's apartment has a very frustrating bathroom:

:catstare: Why would someone do that.

the person was probably a drunk. note how you can poo poo and puke at the same time. i can think of a few people i know who'd benefit from this bathroom. or an intervention.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SoundMonkey posted:

the person was probably a drunk. note how you can poo poo and puke at the same time. i can think of a few people i know who'd benefit from this bathroom. or an intervention.

A proper drunk bathroom would be two toilets. Barfing in the sink is a terrible idea. It would actually almost be better to poo poo in the sink and puke in the toilet.

Edit: I suppose if you are a really high-level drunk your puke is just a liquid anyway, so you may be right

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I'm not going to start making GBS threads in my sink based solely on your recommendation but on what do you base your argument?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well most drunk-shits are mostly liquid, while vomit generally has chunks of undigested food which is difficult to get down the sink drain.

So I guess which method of vomitorium setup works depends on your level of alcoholism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Once again our old friend the bidet comes into play.

• Locked thread