Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bEatmstrJ posted:

I know it's a lot to ask, but let's all try to be civil and constructive and i'll try not to sound like I know everything, cause I don't.

Ok.
Are you required to have permits/inspections for the work you're doing in your municipality? And if so, have you arranged for them?
Did you do any reinforcement to the studs you put your sink drainage through? Because if that's a 2" drain pipe, you've definitely broken code by installing it in that fashion, especially with the 2 notched 2x4's. Like, the wall might fall down kind of code.

I sure hope this isn't a load-bearing wall, because the stud you cut is now non-functional for compressive loads as shown. It reminds me of the engineering case studies I read on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse#Investigation
Specifically, the addition of moments into what are normally linear members.

Your modification to the tub drain here weirds me out too. It looks like there was originally a vent pipe running inside the tub box that you cut. But looking at your modification, I'm not sure it'll work as an adequate vent anymore.

You've already done a lot of work, I get that. You've done other DIY work, I get that. But you've made several modifications to the core of your house and sealed them up so they can't be inspected or repaired, which is a dangerous thing to do. And you glossed over some pretty important modifications as well. Filling in a window isn't difficult, but it's easy to gently caress up as well. We saw no pictures of the vapor barrier on your house being repaired, or any insulation going in. You put in a non-loadbearing wall for your shower, but have no way to check and see how well it's secured to the rafters, since you installed it over an existing drywall ceiling.

No matter how good your work will look on the outside, it'll be worthless if it causes problems down the line. Especially if they problems can be traced to modifications you made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

If I knew that you were going to pay me $texas to fix your idiotic mistake then I would go out of my way to be nice to you to jack the price up further.

Same. But also your vanity and wall the next time an earthquake hits and all those compromised studs crack.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

i cannot even begin to fathom that sensation but i want to

I just imagine it's a kitchen sprayer, a bowl, and a drain on the floor.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

I appreciate you both.

• Locked thread