Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I like how the bathroom he tore apart initially is one I would aspire to in my house.

It did have tile counter tops. Nothing wrong with replacing tile counter tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

But what's with the big secret reveal on why you just didn't take out the tile?

I thought the secret was about why he needed to make the tub two inches lower. The answer probably being that he's short, or his wife is short, and has trouble getting into the tub. No reason to be all secretive about that though, the forums have some cool dwarfs and nobody cares that they are short.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how many places on the forums link to this thread now? I've seen it in 4 different threads. Good job, op!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

Which threads are those? I found the OSHA thread in GBS and I linked to it here in the crappy construction thread.

Crazycryodude posted:

I found the link in YOSPOS's tech bubble thread

I saw these three plus the Funny Forum Quotes thread in PYF. I'd be surprised if it isn't linked in FYAD too, those guys love trainwrecks funny things fine craftsmanship.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Effective-Disorder posted:

Don't listen to the trolls. I understand enough from one and a half semesters of the architecture program at the community college to know they're just blowing smoke!
You'll be fine if you just stick to your guns and don't give up on this project. I asked a buddy of mine who graduated, and he found a technical document about joist repairs.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that was very informative.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snak posted:

Wait, I skimmed past the renders... He's putting in a wall?

Taking an open bathroom and adding a wall.

He's also taking out one of the windows. Put up walls, take out windows. Make your vampire guests feel more comfortable when they freshen up.

Too much natural light and you might accidentally grow algae instead of mold.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

There's a smaller tub inside

Op lives in Dracula's castle?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Effective-Disorder posted:

Right? I mean, why even worry about renovating when you can just cover stuff with plants? Plants don't need permits.

I think I'm going to have to go shopping for plants. If I have to poo poo and piss regularly, why am I not doing it in a garden?

Plants like bathrooms because it is humid. But plants also need lots of light. Do you have three nice big windows in your bathroom to let in lots of natural light? Or did a previous DYIer wall them all over?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WrenP-Complete posted:

The internet tells me a rumpus room is a recreational room, like a den. I was imagining something far more neon.

Yeah, the way I've usually seen it is that the living room has nice furniture for adults and guests, so the kids aren't allowed to play or hang out there so the living room stays nice like the pictures in the furniture catalogue. The rumpus room will be in the basement or the back of the house, and be a shabbier lived-in living room. The kids can have snacks, play video games, throw their toys around, jump on the furniture, etc. If it is big enough it could also have a foosball table, ping pong table, pool table, or air hockey table. That way the kids can be rambunctious while the civilized adults sip wine in the living room. In reality the rumpus room is way more fun and comfortable, so the livingroom basically becomes a museum only used when they have guests.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Apparently my entire house is composed of rumpus rooms, then.

Sounds like fun. Until you want to throw a fancy dinner party. Then everyone will judge you harshly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WrenP-Complete posted:

And here I was, worried that we didn't have a good derail going into this weekend. Some results for "rain shower."

I like how all the rain showers also have to have another proper shower head or handheld shower, because rains howers are cool but lovely.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WampaLord posted:

There are silicone based lubes to help with this problem, which aren't water-soluble.

Yeah, but then you'd get immortal lube in the pipes of your jacuzzi tub. Which is just going to contribute to forming nutrient rich goo from random organic bits and moisture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WampaLord posted:

Yea, bad call for the tub, but a good idea for shower sex.

E: VVV Do you normally put lube on your feet?

Just lol if you don't dip yourself into a 55 gallon drum of lube before sex.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you're ok with little tubes of builder-grade lube then more power to you, but I like a different level of lubrication.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

GFCI probably means it'll have pigtails so those should be long enough on their own to actually reach out the back of the box, saving you several inches. And if you miss and hit the wire a few times with the hammer while stapling it, you should be able to get at least an inch or two more unless you hammer like a sissy

This is why I like Bad Munki: always focused on solutions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

This is loving awesome. OP do this but with your kitchen below.

:agreed: This is some next level poo poo. No builder grade house has anything like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'd be tempted to buy a gallon of bleach and just let it run with hot bleach water for an hour or so before I tried it. Fish poop in the reservoir and we add bleach to that and then drink it, so bleaching a jacuzzi tub should be fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

socketwrencher posted:

Agreed. I'd just rather not work with someone who tried to rip me off to this extent as $5k on a $23k project is ludicrous.

I can see it. Some people just have a hard on for bargaining. Being a 'tough negotiator' is an important part of their identity or something. Driving down the price feels like winning, paying the asking price makes them feel like a chump. A contractor probably runs into a lot of those guys, so he builds in a margin to let them talk him down to a fair price and everyone walks away feeling good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

But nothing has been set in stone yet, so don't get too excited.

Is the tub going to be set in stone?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also why the gently caress are you putting gravel around your tub other than to serve as an ideal environment for mold?

These plans are set in stone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL if you don't have Enrique scrub your tub rocks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, if the rocks are necessary, I think I've got a mold-free solution. Lower the floor even more, then put in the rocks, then put in enough water to completely cover the rocks, then add a pond filter to agitate and clean the water. No mold. Maybe some algae, but I think the room is dark enough with that one window walled up that it shouldn't be a problem. Then, since you've got the rocks and the water and the filter and everything, go ahead and add some fish.

Put your tub in a koi pond.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SoundMonkey posted:

edit: bonus if that recessed light from the kitchen that's below the tub constantly warms the standing water in the rocks

I'm sure this next level bathroom will have heated floors. What kind of pleb doesn't have heated bathroom floors?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stitecin posted:

Please stop suggesting flooring that won't kill be aesthetically pleasing to the OP.

Refer to this list or others like it if you don't already know a few poisionous aesthetically pleasing rocks that haven't been mentioned.

Not only are they pretty, several of them look like they'd be great for inhibiting the growth of mold.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That bathtub is upside down. What good is that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Nice! posted:

Shade for the turtle.

You don't need shade if you wall over all your windows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Huh, they made a tub just for vore fetishits? Look at the tiny woman in the bowl of cereal/soup!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Good on the OP for bucking a dumb trend and walling up bathroom windows instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Gardenator posted:

Put perforated gas pipe used for firepits under the rocks surrounding your tub. I am sure there's a way to engineer this safely

It would solve the mold problem and keep your tub water hot.

You're a genius. The value of the house would soar! Women love having candles around the tub, and this gets you all the flames you want without having to clean up wax dribbles.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

You won't actually be stepping on the rocks so I can't concede to the dirty socks. I'll sprinkle additional water occasionally, but the number of times I used my old bathtub in the last 3 years can be counted on less than two hands. I also won't be plastic wrapping. I'm leaving the rocks in the bathroom for a fair shot at realistic conditions but I'm not going to sabotage my own experiment with your subterfuge.

Fair enough. If you go through with the rock tub, will you at least promise to update un in 5 years, good outcome or bad? :v:

I've never had tub rocks, but when I moved recently I was surprised how grungy the spot behind the toilet had gotten over the years. This was a tiny apartment bathroom so the toilet was right next to bathtub, almost touching it, which made getting into that corner with a mop a bit tricky. To be honest I'd never made much effort to clean back there, because it was hard to get into the tiny space, and I didn't really expect it to be dirty since no one ever stepped there or spilled anything there. (Also because I'm lazy as gently caress). But over 8 years of half-assed mopping, dust and occasional splashes of bathwater had made it grubby back there. Not moldy though, smooth linoleum isn't mold-friendly. I bet there would have been some mold if I'd left a bunch of rocks back there and never washed them or turned them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

No, I'm not familiar with that one.

This was a group of 5 or so goons who quit their jobs, sold everything they had, and drove out to this plot of land in the Texas desert they bought for four cents or something. It was miles and miles away from everything.

They had no concept of zoning laws, rights-of-way, building codes, or what a hellscape the desert can be (they moved there in the early spring), but they were going to live off the grid and survive...somehow?

By the end of the failed experiment, they were tired of being mocked by SA so they provided updates on another site (which was discovered, naturally) and they were begging for money and donations of food. Everyone drove back to their parents' homes after a few months and one poorly built shack to show for their efforts.

Internet archive has a record of their website. Fort Awesome. So random. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20110202093711/http://texarrakis.com/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elsa posted:

all the gay dudes I showed the bedroom said they would bone so it's working somewhat

Do gay dudes who are about to gently caress often find home decor to be a deal breaker? "That tacky wallpaper just killed my boner, I'm outta here."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FoldableHuman posted:

Are you a vampire?

You aren't? Wait, this isn't the vampire subforum?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Look Sir Droids posted:

1. Replace insert with a garden tub (Wife requested, OP!). Not 100% sure it would fit in that space, but I think it's likely. Purpose for renovating at all falls apart if we can't get a bigger tub.

If a garden tub doesn't fit, there are some tub options that will give you a nicer sit-and-soak experience than the standard modern tub.

1. Clawfoot tub. Can look classy as gently caress. Not any longer or wider than a standard tub, but can be much deeper. So you can have your boobs and knees underwater at the same time. Get the authentic cast iron for a tub that will last longer than your house.

2. Prepare for old age with a walk in tub. Again the same footprint as a standard tub (or smaller) but deep.

Look how happy she is! Old age never goes out of style.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kastein posted:

People who think this have never had to clean under and behind a clawfoot tub. Picture the scunge that collects behind a toilet on the floor, but 5 feet back (if you were silly enough to put it close to a wall) and/or several feet back under the tub.

Having lived in an apartment with a clawfoot tub that had been handyman-converted to an alcove tub using plywood and vast quantities of caulking, and bought a house with a clawfoot tub (which was immediately removed - the things I found behind it were horrifying), and in several places with alcove tubs, I know exactly which I'm choosing, drat the lack of style.

I've lived in several old houses that had claw foot tubs. Yeah, that area at the back is hard to clean. But it's also hard to see. So just don't think about it. :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who What Now posted:

We considered a walk-in tub for our own bathroom renovation, but they are A) ridiculously expensive and B) supposedly not terribly convenient.

They are ridiculously expensive. It has to have a door that seals like a submarine to prevent leaks.

The inconvenient part is that since you have to open the door to get in and out, so you have to sit there like a chump while the water fills and drains. Some of them have pumps to make that part faster, but that makes them even more expensive. Though if you are young and agile I suppose you could parkour your way in and out of the tub without opening the door.

I'd love to try one some day, they look comfortable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Antivehicular posted:

I have to ask -- is there, or was there ever, a divider between the sunken shower/tub and the toilet, of any sort? Like, is there a shower curtain bar off-camera? Or is it assumed that taking a bath/shower in privacy in there means closing off the whole bathroom? It may be a moot point depending on the bathrooms:residents ratio of the home, but I can't imagine how awkward this situation could get.

What? When someone is using the tub/shower nobody else gets to use the room, shower curtain or not. I'm not going to be soaking in the tub while a family member is making GBS threads 2 feet away, even if the shower curtain is closed so we don't actually see each other.

What you do in a single bathroom home is if you are planning to do anything that will take more than 15 minutes is holler out "I'm gonna take a bath, anyone need to use the bathroom first?" If nobody needs to go, it's assumed you have the room for up to an hour.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Antivehicular posted:

What's up with the really low sink on this one? Disability accommodation? Small children? What?

... Is the carpet to kneel on when you use the sink?

Is that carpet? I thought it was gravel.

Anyway, I think that sink might be a bidet? It seems to be the same height as a toilet. Though that doesn't make much sense either, the faucet isn't quite right and who builds a separate bidet in 2017 instead of one of those fancy all-in-one deals? Maybe it is a foot washing sink?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Breetai posted:

Okay granted if they got rid of the built-in piss-sponges (and voyeur chair) in the first one and added some cupboard space it would be fine, and the second one isn't to my taste at all which is why the additional cleaning required wouldn't be worth it to me, but if you swapped out my bog-standard function-before-form tile-n-porcelain bathroom with that third one I'd demand you switch it back.

The vanity is a disaster, but the giant stone bathtub looks cool. Your rear end could be set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OSI bean dip posted:

we know which of us are goons.

Goondar?

• Locked thread