Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The hammock shaped 'Vessel' is mounted with steel brackets across two walls facing each other. It is 8’9” x 2’6” in dimension and requires a tall standing tap by its side to complement the whole style. It should preferably be installed in a wet room to allow water to drain out of the tub into a floor drain and retain the ‘suspended’ look. However, for practical purposes, a drainpipe is also available.

Carbon fiber weave construction with a foam core for insulation make the Vessel light weight as well as strong. It is large enough to accommodate two at a time and is available in red, blue, black yellow, pink, silver and bronze to go with its surroundings. A limited edition luxury design, this hole-in-the-pocket bathtub costs about $34,000 and is made by Splinter Works.

Thirty-four goddamn thousand earth dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I know some people who do carbon fiber work and there is no way this thing should cost more than a nice car. As a cool one-off order something like that could be made by any half decent shop for the 5-6k range as a whole design-build deal. Something mass produced should be maybe 1000.

34k, that's just insane. I'm sure they justify 90% of that cost for the artistic sculptural value of their brilliant design.

I always try to remind myself that design and engineering cost money too. Does it bump up your estimate at all to factor in how it has to be load-bearing?

And I guess it has foam in it too. I don't stay up-to-date on foam prices. Does foam cost thirty thousand dollars now.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The price is a selling point, not a drawback. Someone buying that poo poo wants to be sure that when they're slumming it with their government worker friends, they're not going to find out they have the same gimmick tub.

Honestly this type of thing is sort of like concept cars and runway clothes - a lot of these sorts of designs never get sold at all. If this is installed in even twenty homes worldwide right now I'd be amazed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

I live about as far away from your whack-rear end state as it's possible to live and still be in the continental US. I just find it amusing that you're prepared to defend laws telling people who use a tiny bit of water what kind of shower heads they can install while ignoring people who are allowed to suck all the water out of the aquifer they want to in order to grow food for cattle that would for drat sure be grown somewhere else if those farmers had to pay anywhere near as much for that water as a homeowner does. You're squinting at dust motes and ignoring the avalanche headed towards you. But hey, you get your almond milk, so it's all cool.

Look I live in California too and I see this kind of ignorance all the time and I just can't keep silent anymore.

It's wack. Like "wacky." Not "whack."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Motronic posted:

So if the go-to material for commercial kitchens and sterile medical applications is "a bitch to keep clean" could you please let me know what material should be used?

Commercial kitchens and hospitals are aggressively cleaned by teams of people multiple times a day. How big is your cleaning team and how many hours a week do they work?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Motronic posted:

2, maybe 3 if you count the older kid, and very little, as a home kitchen doesn't need to be hospital sterile nor sees the use of a commercial kitchen.

I'm trying to think of something easier to clean than smooth metal that doesn't rust, is stained by only a few things, damaged by even less that one would find in a typical kitchen and is non porous.

Are you saying that you know what this other magical material is too? I must be really out of the loop.

You're moving the goalposts. Nobody was talking about sterility until you. Stainless is hard to keep visually clean. Stainless in commercial kitchens and hospitals looks clean because they need it to be sterile. And you're being a smug rear end in a top hat so no, I will not help you google things. Enjoy living in Fort Fingerprints.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I see you're new to the D&D title scene.

Killer catchphrase, goonsir. Does microwave's mom climb the stairs in your house to serve you a glass of mangosteen while you sit at your ppppowerbook?

You realize you guys are circling the wagons to defend this guy's right to spend every waking moment wiping water spots off his kitchen walls, right?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crotch Fruit posted:

Accountability is equally as important as cleanliness in a commercial kitchen or hospital. If anything, the fact that stainless shows dirt and fingerprints so well helps to ensure that the janitors are actually doing their job. If cleanliness were the top priority hospitals would be using copper for its antimicrobial properties.

That said, I don't think stainless is a bitch to clean by any means. My appliances are brushed stainless and I just squirt some windex on them every once in a while. I like seeing that they are dirty, it takes 2 minutes to clean them and I know they are clean. The fridges I grew up with were a nasty ivory or beige color with an orange peel that was impossible to clean, I guess it built up my immune system.

How often were you really licking your fridge door though? Visually clean gets the job done for any surfaces in a private kitchen that don't touch raw food.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Time for some :science:

Since I have some time before I'll ever get to the point of actually installing my bathtub, I put together a mock mold garden to see how well it grows in my bathroom. I splashed it with a bit of water and will let it fester for a while. Will update as spores progress.

Neat, what's your method for detecting the mold? The nasty stuff isn't always visible right away, especially against a dark background.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Those are not the rocks. These are just test rocks. I'd probably go with some smoother and more uniform river rock. But it was what they had available at Home Depot when I went.

This is what we call a confounding factor. Gotta test the real rocks or the lab results are worthless, worthless!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

The red wall is still the most offensive part of all of this.

There are two things every dudebro home decorator has to have: A giant overstuffed black leather couch and a red accent wall. Bonus points for LED mood lighting behind the TV for "ambiance."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slugworth posted:

In fairness..... Bias lighting behind your tv in some situations improves picture quality. Or, improves how your eyeballs function at least.

I didn't know that but I'll allow it. You better not tell me there's a scientific justification for the beer bottle trophy shelf though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

You won't actually be stepping on the rocks so I can't concede to the dirty socks. I'll sprinkle additional water occasionally, but the number of times I used my old bathtub in the last 3 years can be counted on less than two hands. I also won't be plastic wrapping. I'm leaving the rocks in the bathroom for a fair shot at realistic conditions but I'm not going to sabotage my own experiment with your subterfuge.

Wait. You compromised the structural integrity of your house for a bathtub you don't even plan to use?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Divide by three baths a year... let's say you live for another fifty years (you'll need to give up the DIY electrical work to hit that target) and you live in this house until they cart you away.

Each bath you take will cost you 460 dollars. You could buy one of these and throw it away every time you feel like having a bath and still have enough left over for the Lush Star-Studded Bathing Gift Set and a moderately-priced bottle of champagne.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Lets not forget that I'm remodeling the WHOLE bathroom, not just a bathtub. Since were being fair, don't forget to divide the cost over every shower I take as well (which is every day, before you go assuming I'm a filthy basement dweller). I'm not particularly fond of baths that don't involve random girls, but it is intended to be a, albeit expensive, focal point of the bathroom.

Well drat now that I know you're such a player forget everything I said. You can't put a price tag on three sexual encounters a year.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hey as fun as it is to make fun of you, and boy is it ever, can we at least try to talk you out of this? You're not adding value to your home - your bathroom design is poorly-executed and extremely trendy. Super trendy room designs can be okay if they're well laid out and use high-quality fixtures, because everything comes back in fashion eventually. I moon over 30's kitchens that would have made any 50's homebuyer reach for the sledgehammer. But you're doing a particularly flash-in-the-pan micro-trend, and it's done badly, with unfashionable colors and an awkward layout, even if we ignore the mold issue and the floor joists.

So you aren't adding value to your home, which is fine, I'm a big believer in treating houses like homes, not investments. Only, you aren't going to use this tub. So you're getting nothing, damaging your home for nothing, lowering your resale value for nothing.

Why?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

I'm a woman and while I don't speak for all women, nothing about that bathroom suits the way I'd want to use the space even ignoring the aesthetic side of things.

I like as much natural light as possible for putting on my makeup, and just waking myself up in the morning, and you boarded up a window. The dark gray stone and red paint are also going to soak up all the artificial light and make the bathroom dank and cave-like, so hard to see what I'm doing.

The tub is awkwardly-placed and has nowhere but that tiny notch in the wall to store soaps, oils, grooming tools, or the book, wine, and music player I'd need to have a properly girly soak.

The shower is cavernous, and thus would be freezing unless you had both showerheads going, there's again nowhere to store anything, and like a lot of women I prefer a removable showerhead so I can clean my body without getting my hair wet, because drying and setting it is a pain in the rear end I like to save for shampoo days. You've got a sort of bench thing I think that might be workable for shaving your legs on, but it forces you to stand in the path of the shower, meaning your shaving soap is going to constantly rinse off while you're working, not to mention your hair's getting wet again.

The sinks, again, no storage space, no clear flat workspace for laying out hot tools, makeup, and cosmetics. If that low part in between is meant to be the vanity, it's cramped and has no mirror, no lighting, and only one electrical socket, which is frequently not enough when I've got a blow-dryer going, a flat iron heating up, and I want to charge my phone.

I don't see anywhere to store towels or robes either.

Some girls are definitely a lot more wash-and-go than I am, but the fact that you're thinking of wooing a woman with a luxury bathroom makeover in the first place means you probably go for a traditional type of girl. Traditional girls tend to need bathroom storage and a place to plug in their hot rollers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Since you took the time to respond constructively, I'll do the same.

I'd like to keep as much natural light as possible, but relocating the shower forced me to block one of the windows. That being said, there are still two very large windows in the bathroom which is without question more than your average bathroom has, including the large master bathroom I had in my previous home.

The tub will be in the exact same location it was prior to the remodel. If anyone awkwardly placed it, its the original home builders. That being said, I don't feel its out of place. It will be in a corner and under a window, which is where most tubs reside. As for the tub storage, the notch in the wall is not tiny, but it is also not a bookshelf. Most modern designs don't have a lot of clutter, and my design doesn't allow for a lot of clutter on purpose.

The shower is cavernous. I'm not sure if you've used a large shower before but I had a multi-head large shower in my previous bathroom and it didn't get cold. Unless you're shaving, chances are you will still be under some part of the water stream which will keep you warm. Additionally my design has floor to ceiling glass which will trap in heat (while still having a vent so as not to make a mildew pit). There are two notches in the shower, opposite the shower heads, to hold shampoo and soaps for storage, and two perfectly good benches to store excess items on if needed. There will be a hand shower installed as well (this is hard to add in a 3d render with my skill level). Also there should be no problems standing out of the water whilst shaving with the amount of space in the shower (and various faucet controls).

The vanity tops don't allow for a lot of storage on top, but there will be some, including the middle section. There are storage cabinets and drawers under the sinks which will provide a fair amount of storage. There is an additional vanity that will be large and dedicated for makeup with a large mirror, ample storage and plenty of light, counter space and outlets. This is not shown in my 3d rendering but will be inside of the bathroom taking the place of the old shower.

There is no dedicated robe storage but with the closet being right next to the shower door it would be easy to store them inside the closet. It would also be pretty easy to add some robe hooks in the bathroom if I decide to go that route. There will be towel shelves as part of the design (again not shown in the 3d render).

Oof. I am straining sooooo haaardddd to play good cop here, but anybody who's seen any of my colorful red titles from D&D knows how I feel about your sexism. And what I get in return? A hobbyist vandal condescending to me about shower sizes.

Your notches suck. poo poo's going to fall out of them. A lot of toiletries come in odd-shaped or oddly-balanced containers and when women choose bathroom storage they tend to choose something with a retaining rim to keep everything from falling out. If you ever do land a woman the first thing she'll do is ugly up your "modern design" with some aftermarket shower storage, because the only option you've built in is some dumb notches that will gather water and grime and rain shampoo bottles onto the tile anytime one of you so much as breathes.

You're building a custom bathroom to deleterious expense and your shower storage solution is "leave poo poo scattered on the benches if you want." How modern, how minimal.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is called the "ad hominem" fallacy.

This is like starting a drunken brawl and then scolding the people holding you back from an rear end-kicking for not observing Queensbury Rules.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

There was nothing sexist about what I wrote and I'm certainly not trying to be sexist. Had I wrote, "You've obviously never used a large shower", sure. I can't assume you've used a large shower before, so saying, "I'm not sure if you have" seems fair to me. But lets not split hairs about that. I had one in my previous bathroom and I was simply commenting on my personal experience.

My notches are literally the same as the notches made in every custom (and builder grade) shower I've ever seen. My current shower has the exact same no lip style notch. It's a boxed-in hole cut into the wall. Standard. I won't argue that I've sacrificed some of the existing "table-top" style space that surrounded my previous tub, but I won't defend myself for having MORE storage space than 90% of master bathrooms out there. Its a huge bathroom, It doesn't need to have excessive amounts of storage.

There was a lot sexist about what you've written. Wimmin buy houses like this, menfolk buy houses like that! Christ.

I made a sincere effort. I want to save you money and regret. But you just have lovely taste and worse instincts, and there's nothing anybody can do about that. Hit me up when you post your thread about turning your boxy tract-home living room into a "home theater," looking forward to some more hot DIY action.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"A wife."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Now we'll never get to find out if mold is a fake idea.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burt Sexual posted:

Mrs. Burt Sexual? Great break down.

Sorry about the unfair role I played in our home-buying process, dear.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Noooo turn left. We don't need to doxx him. Any one of us could have fed his posts to a police sketch artist and be handed back a perfect rendering. This isn't telling us anything we didn't already know.

What are DIY floor joist modifications but the chinstrap beard of the home improvement world?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Megabound posted:

We don't need to fox him again you mean. You must have missed the first few pages of this thread where someone posted his Linkedin and reported him to some housing safety commission.

lmao

Can I report him to the housing taste commission, because holy lol this sink:

Why did you put a giant-rear end kitchen faucet on your uncleanable rock shard sink, OP?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MiniFoo posted:

man, you don't even know how nice that shed is though. no mice or chemicals or anything

How many decorative floor-rocks though

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kelp Me! posted:

btw TB love the new AV.

Thanks! That's just me kick-flippin' over my haters.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr.Smasher posted:

Those tall faucets are designed for vessel sinks like that. In some applications they look really nice.

I personally wouldn't put that in my house but he at least bought the proper faucet.

Sure, but the visual weight of that one means it's a kitchen design. It's way out of proportion even for the bulky sink OP chose.

Edit: Ugh the sink is even more feee-male unfriendliness. Imagine washing your makeup brushes, or god forbid some delicate underthings, in that shallow-rear end sink with the water stream way off in the corner.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
IDGAF about OP's wack-rear end DJ career, I wanna talk about how his only aesthetic reference points for luxury appear to be mid-priced hotel chains and the car stereo department at Best Buy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solus posted:

So you're saying that this is valid representation of OP's aesthetic

Hey OP remember how we were saying you should put in a urinal?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

brugroffil posted:

I guess this would be a bad place for me to admit that the wall paper accent wall in out stairway my wife did was inspired by the new Marriott in Bangor

Look as long as you didn't drill holes in your roof and stuff wiring down all your drains to install it, you do you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cross-posting from the forums drama thread:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Megabound posted:

Link to thread please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826&pagenumber=174#post471955934

It's how I discovered this thread in the first place :3:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm trying. He's not appreciating the design criticism, which frankly some is spot on, others are just idiotic for lame comedy sake. Post your bathrooms goons.

This is dumb too. Nobody needs to post pictures of their homes to prove they know en suite mold farms are a bad idea.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burt Sexual posted:

Post ur bathroom bitch :)

E: don't use your own site to host!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crotch Fruit posted:

You mean the "ugly bathroom" bandwagon in which the OP stated be felt it it might have style to appeal to potential buyers? Honestly, how many men do you know who brag about taking a long relaxing bubble bath? Even the brontosaurus here admitted to calling bubble baths girly. But I guess it's more important to call the OP sexist than to admit that statistically women care more about tubs then men do.

Why are you posting in a thread you haven't read? Go watch TV or something.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

Please advise

:gonk:

I actually kind of like the gray tile on the walls :shobon:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Antivehicular posted:

I would like to see the minutes from the first annual Whose Turd Was That? Summit.

If he has a toddler it probably wasn't the first summit with that on the agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So a hallway, then.

Grandpa?

• Locked thread