Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This thread is hilarious. There are very real fuckups going on, but the wire-nuts on a carpet for a few minutes to take pictures is not going to start a fire. At least wait until he installs it to find something to call out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kid sinister posted:

I still don't think you've learned your lesson about this. I'm halfway thinking about reporting you to your city just to make sure you do. They have a handy dandy online code violation inspection request form!

I feel like you shouldn't be doxing people and calling authorities because you just don't believe him when he says he's getting it fixed, dude.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure your project does need permits and I think you probably should form a plan to get on track for that. We all know tons of remodel work goes on in the real world without permits even when it is supposed to and people get by without problems. But I say so because, besides just being the proper thing to do, the removal of an exterior window is more likely going to make it fairly clear to people down the road that some major work has been done that should have been permitted. It's going to be easier and cheaper to get things in order earlier in the project than it will be later.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is an interesting thought. If I could "header-off" the joists on both sides of my tub, and then install new shorter joists between them, that would solve my problem. The only thing is, the PDF doesn't specify if you can have more than one "damaged" joist, so that's still up in the air. Otherwise this seems like a reasonable solution that wouldn't be very invasive.

It may apply in your case depending as you say on the tolerance for a wider gap. A concern with that particular solution is that there might be a limit to how much weighting it can withstand in the gapped section. Obviously creating a pass-through for a pipe like in the diagram that isn't a problem, but it might be with the tub installation.

I don't think you've mentioned it or maybe I missed it, but what's underneath that tub location?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well, if the tub came crashing down, it would take out a few kitchen cabinets and then hit a small kitchen counter and possibly the corner of my kitchen island before landing safely on the post-tension concrete slab of a floor below, somewhere in the intersection of tile-meets-carpet.

I'm assuming you'll solve it so that it doesn't actually end up falling Money Pit style, though if not keep a web cam on it! Viral gold right there.

I was just wondering what kind of options there might be to install bracing/cantilever/whatever below the joists. If it lines up at or near a wall, for example, there is a lot you could do.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you look in the picture he didn't drill out the middle of the beam for his plumbing. He cut holes in the bottom of the webbing.

I am pretty sure that drain line is original from the tub that he removed and that it is hole-sawed, they just missed on one of the cuts and made a bonus hole.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Gee, he's deleting posts? And here I thought:

Things like joists! And women! I thought you could take the mold-encouraging heat, OP.

I think they were referring to a different thread. The only things it looks like this OP has removed are those joists and any doubt that he's an idiot.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Everyone in this thread is bathing in a clawfoot tub that has fallen through the floor and into the living room, so there's plenty of room to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Guest bathroom. Approximate measurements: 3x5 feet.

Someone I dated had a bathroom about the size of that guest one with a little 3x3 shower stuck onto it. You can tell I really loved her because I'm 6'3" 225lbs and used a bathroom that size for years. My poor elbows.

• Locked thread