Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm assuming he just spliced on a pig tail to plug it in to test out the lighting and that the mirror lights will be hardwired in an appropriately rated electrical box during the final installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is exactly correct. Thank you for being a sane person and not piling on the thread poo poo train.

You're still a dope for slicing up the structural integrity of your house lol

-A licensed engineer

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

You're the kind of engineer I don't want to hire. But feel free to prove me wrong and actually be helpful at some point.

- An ambitious DIYer

My advice would be to hire a structural engineer (which I think you said you're doing already, good!) and contact your local building department to pull the proper permits for the work you're doing. I'm not a structural engineer, so I definitely won't be offering any professional advice on exactly how hosed your floor and wall are.

I'm also an ambitious DIYer. This will be an expensive lesson to yourself to spend twice as much time researching how to do a job properly, safely and soundly as it will take you to actually do the job. Cutting corners can lead to major problems down the road as can simply doing the job improperly due to lack of knowledge (e.g. what's your plan for vapor barriers for the shower tile? lots of Crappy Construction thread bathroom remodels have none). Treat building code as an absolute minimum, not your max target.

e: just remember that if you hadn't posted those pictures to this thread, you would have blundered ahead in creating a literal death trap. People are going to give you some poo poo over that even while they're giving you advice.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 5, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

Actual Translation (since you're a moron): The kind of engineer that would insult someone rather than being professional and offering courteous advice, then touting themselves as being an engineer. It's the equivalent of me having a heart attack on the street and a doctor pointing and laughing saying, "Haha you're dumb cause you're having a heart attack! BTW I'm a doctor!". It's a douchebag move and you're obviously a douchebag as well for not recognizing that. I don't expect anyone to help me for free. But just getting help has been a challenge in itself.

We all have expensive lessons in life but I'm a quick learner. I've gotten far in life by doing things myself and learning from my mistakes. I'm sure people are going to continue to give me poo poo because it makes them feel better about themselves. But at the end of the day I still get to feel better about myself for getting up and doing something most people don't have the balls to do themselves, mistakes or otherwise.

There are certainly a lot of details, like vapor barriers, that will come up during this project. I have pretty fair knowledge of most of the tasks I'm doing, but there are still some things I plan to leave to professionals, like the shower. Either way, I appreciate your much more constructive feedback and hope other people will take the same approach.

I think a lot of people are taking they tone they are because you're being kind of a smug dick about this whole thing, tbh. "Maybe builder's grade is good enough for you plebes, but not for I!"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Where are your GFCIs and are you going to use junction boxes anywhere?

good catch, looks like regular outlets over/around the bathroom vanity.

OP, those need to be GFCI's if they're within a certain reach of the bath/shower/sinks. I don't remember off the top of my head what it is.

Check code, pull permits, get in compliance and get this properly inspected and signed off on.

e:

bEatmstrJ posted:

On the bright note, I haven't done anything that will need to be undone to accomplish my goal. What I did still would have been done by a contractor in the process of adding new beams. The only thing that has changed is my path towards completion.

How sure about that are you? Did you fix the studs you hosed up behind your vanity before putting your vanity in? Did anyone inspect your plumbing before you walled it all in?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

beam I hope you come back because I'm genuinely interested in what the ultimate solution for fixing your beams ends up being and what the goal of the recessed area was as well.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kid sinister posted:

...You've never seen someone delete everything incriminating after being caught before, have you?

yeah but nobody cares and you're being creepy and driving him off

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

I figured the window replacement was to put in that pebble-textured privacy glass, since that window ends up inside the new shower cabinet.

e: Wait, that's wrong, I went back and looked and the entire window is gone, walled over.

He put the shower there. Could have done privacy glass block or something instead to still get lots of natural light in.

Dark gray/black everywhere with fire engine red walls and less natural light is an interesting design choice.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Shadowgate posted:

Fuckin' goons ruin everything. I was genuinely interested to see how this mess was gonna be fixed.

:same:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

Don't worry, I'm definitely getting an engineer. At this point my speculation into how it could be fixed is only for my own amusement and trying to guess at what will really be recommended based on my limited understanding of structural engineering.

I talked to one local engineer who basically said, without looking at it, that new shorter joists would be needed to be run the full length. He wants $500 to come over and do plans, but since he already told me what he's going to do I want to talk to some other people who might have different approaches. I suspect there is more than one way to engineer out of this. I talked to another engineer in Florida for a while and sent him many pictures and he was pretty certain he could engineer a solution that wouldn't require replacement, but once he found out I was in CA he said it wouldn't matter cause his plans wouldn't be accepted in my state, which I personally think is silly since engineering doesn't change from state to state (even though code does).

I figure my worst case scenario is new beams get installed and I'm back with no sunken tub. My 2nd worst case scenario is shorter beams get installed and I get my sunken tub but its a very invasive process. The best possibility is someone retrofits my existing beams to work in place.

I'm going to try to pick the brains of the project managers that come over and see what I can learn from them and hopefully get some additional leads on engineers, cause they aren't terribly easy to find, or at least I don't know how to find them around here.

Engineering licenses are state by state, and while many have reciprocity, California is extra special thanks to earthquakes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

xwing posted:

This. California and Florida that I know of have stricter reciprocity rules. CA has special earthquake exams and Florida has hurricane requirements. I've heard Hawaii just adopted Miami-Dade and Florida's product approval guidelines and doesn't know what is going on. My understanding also is that Los Angeles has it's own special snowflake requirement above and beyond the CA ones.

My advice... get off Yelp and Craigslist. Find your local Builders Association. You can likely call them up and get a list of contractors that you'll be way more satisfied with. If a contractor doesn't care about pissing others off they won't be a part of an association. Chances are if they can't be bothered with you they're probably annoying their subs which doesn't go well if you're in an association together to promote local construction.

And yes, there's going to be more than one way to engineer out of this problem.

You can try Angie's List too since it's free now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

I didn't know that! What's the biz model now? Ads?

Free basic membership, premium upgrades for warranties or something. They were hemorrhaging their userbase over the past few years and brought in a new guy to try out something different.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm a therapist and researcher/data scientist, I took physics in college but don't remember it. Can someone please explain what second moment means? And sheer vs compression sounds familiar but I also don't remember that part. Equations are fine! I figure if I don't know, other people don't either, that's why I'm asking itt rather than googling.

This diagram using bones actually seems like a pretty good explanation

When you load a beam, it's going to deflect some amount. The top of the beam will be in compression while the bottom is in tension.

I forget what the more abstract definition of second moment is, but it's symbol is "I" and it's critical for lots of beam calculations. Higher means stiffer/more resistant to bending.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Creating sharp edges with square notches to a beam like that also creates big stress concentrators. The stress can't "flow" around a sharp corner and local stresses shoot way up over what the average stresses might be. I forget the math off the top of my head, but here's a diagram:

If you need to cut notches in structural members, try to round your corners!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bathroom vents with humidity sensors are a good idea regardless and if you're going this deep into a reno might as well add that relatively minor piece.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Snak posted:

Doesn't that make the requirement even dumber then? What's the point of mandating that one light gets turned off with a vacancy sensor if the end result is that people who want to work around it will just install more lights?

You won't be turning on the bath light or other secondary lights and accidentally leave them on every time you step in to take a piss, grab something out of the medicine cabinet, etc. I think the intention is that the primary light is the one on the vacancy sensor.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Antifreeze Head posted:

For anyone looking for bathrooms where the people doing it have taken some big short cuts, check out the Starr Tile channel on YouTube.

Here is a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbwtCBl_xDA

at 23:45....what are those outlets doing behind the tub where they'll be buried once the tile is replace?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

Here's a list of items the contractor will be tackling for the curious

- Engineering of the joists
- Repair/replace joists
- Redo tub plumbing (necessary after joist repair)
- Fix vanity plumbing
- Install new backer and tile vanity wall
- Fix any problems with the new shower wall
- Bathtub faucet plumbing
- Bathtub subfloor install and tiling
- Shower drain plumbing
- Shower benches/threshold framing
- Remove old electrical/lighting from shower area
- All shower fixture plumbing
- Shower pan build and hot mop
- Run old jacuzzi wiring to new location for heated floor/outlets
- Install steam shower
- Install backer and tile in shower/ceiling
- Install shower lights
- Frameless shower glass install
- Remove the old shower wall (partial - engineer to check)
- Cap off old shower plumbing
- Install floor heating element
- Install floor tile
- Demo as needed
- Passing all inspections

please post what the engineered solution for your floor joists are once you have it. the engineering nerd contingent here is interested!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm going to let the contractor decide how they want to move forward. I didn't suggest anything and I'm sure the contractor doesn't want to risk their license. The project is definitely getting inspected one way or another so when the inspector sees the subfloor is dropped they may have questions and the contractor will be answering them. But nothing has been set in stone yet, so don't get too excited.

I'd ask for the guy's engineering licenses number and look it up on the state registry (super easy in Illinois, imagine it's the same in California). You want stamped drawings. That means the engineer is putting their own rear end on the line civilly and criminally.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

I did the opposite. My whole bathroom is stainless steel. Walls, floor, ceiling - all stainless, all seam welded. When it comes time to clean, I seal up the room as the entrance door is military surplus off of a submarine. I set the wash cycle, and the open shower design allows a high pressure, high temperature spray to reach all corners of the room. Bleach is pumped in through the plumbing, and when it's finished, it all drains through my Asian floor toilet.

Frank Lloyd Wright's personal bathroom at Taliesen West

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

I'd walk away without even making an offer because who know what the hell else is hosed up beyond repair.

Anyhow, what's the ETA on all this, OP?

Dimly lit red and black moldy bathroom dungeons are all the rage these days

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

minivanmegafun posted:

Yep. Anyone who knows how to clean a car can maintain a stainless countertop and likely has all the stuff to do it.

Eh, it's all trade offs and compromises. Formica's cheap and easy to clean but wears out, granite requires special care, solid-surface stuff also requires care or just becomes dull plastic and isn't heatproof, butcher block is actually difficult to keep clean (unlike stainless steel which just gets fingerprints)

We loved our quartz countertops at our old house for how easy they were to take care of

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

I want a quartz refriderator.
Chisel all of your appliances out of solid rock

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

You didn't compromise the structural integrity of your house for a new shower and new counters though. And neither of those things are the most expensive addition.

well, he did compromise the structural integrity of the wall for his vanities by cutting through 80% of the studs there.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

I'm not sure how much a woman will enjoy an oppressively masculine dark black-and-red bathroom with minimal natural lighting tbh. That bathroom is going to be very dark. I know I'd take a pass or come in with a lower offer than I'd make on the "builder's grade" bathroom.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Megabound posted:

I don't think you've ever asked woman about this so I asked my wife. To give you some background she spends a lot of time in the bathroom as make-up is one of her hobbies and would engage in ritual sacrifice for a bathtub. In fact when we buy next year a bathtub is high on the list of priorities.

She strongly prefers the original bathroom, especially the tub with a wide brim as she could put her wine there, the original sinks are also better as mostly she just wants as much of her own counter space as possible. She agrees it looked a bit dated but the solution would have been at most to replace the doors on the cabinets.

tiled countertops had to go

eta: I am not a woman but that is definitely conveying my wife's opinion on tiled countertops in the bathroom or kitchen.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

IDGAF about OP's wack-rear end DJ career, I wanna talk about how his only aesthetic reference points for luxury appear to be mid-priced hotel chains and the car stereo department at Best Buy.

I guess this would be a bad place for me to admit that the wall paper accent wall in out stairway my wife did was inspired by the new Marriott in Bangor

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kastein posted:

Yeah but the drat plates don't even cover the whole side of the beam! So I'm not really sure what the point is... (maybe I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing)

OP come back we need answers on this latest discovery

also post a lot more photos of the work-in-progress, never know what else will be found!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Crotch Fruit posted:

You mean the "ugly bathroom" bandwagon in which the OP stated be felt it it might have style to appeal to potential buyers? Honestly, how many men do you know who brag about taking a long relaxing bubble bath? Even the brontosaurus here admitted to calling bubble baths girly. But I guess it's more important to call the OP sexist than to admit that statistically women care more about tubs then men do.

He was talking down other people's tastes (or what they can afford) on like page two or three of this thread.

It's you, you're the bad poster itt.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

I shat in the bed like 5 times but blamed it on the dude I sleep with.

Frank Reynolds???

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

op you are actually a really good sport

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

You are the worst kind of female.

Its loving semantics, get over it.

Op you're a trash idiot with poor taste who's destroyed his own home lmbo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

For those on mobile

:stare:

I'm a little saddened that op won't be posting any more pictures of his incredibly lovely handiwork for is to spot multiple serious issues with. Hopefully this thread is a good lesson as to why you pull permits and know what the hell you're doing before you destroy your own home.

Oh and also a lesson in why you don't be a sexist jackass

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Freakbox posted:

Seriously- I have NO CLUE what it's for. There...was a big cabinet record player in front of it when I was little? I'm 29 And have never encountered one of these.

I could get a cleaner shot, but my wife and I are stumped by it. We hid it behind our TV stuff.

I wonder if there's a manufacturer stamp on the back or something if you popped the plate off? Might help figure it out. Looks like a patch panel for audio equipment.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:eyepop:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

This is the bathroom we remodeled down to the studs in our old house

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Those drawers were great with some organizing baskets in there. Way more useful than the old crappy vanity that was in there. Don't know why they're so popular, but my wife likes them and it was relatively cheap from Ikea, so I was on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

So as a FEMALE who did a full DIY gut job on my bathroom and designed it - here's an album of what I did.

http://imgur.com/a/sshEl

I didn't have nearly as much space as you to work with and unfortunately there are zero windows so no natural light. I did every thing I could however to make it as bright and open feeling as possible.

Also if you don't install a bidet you are missing out. Ladies - Bidets are so loving awesome for getting fresh post sexy times. If you want to be the guy who fucks - get a bidet.

Also I've been in Drape's amazing tiny blue tile sunken bath tub during a party. That poo poo is hilarious. I feel like it should be preserved like a museum piece for crazy poo poo people did during the 60s.

Really nice work!

• Locked thread