Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
As a simple homeowner who has had to deal with mold issues (not of my own making), the idea of laying loose rock around a tub in a humid bathroom is freaking me out a little. Okay, a lot.

Why would you purposely do this to yourself?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
OP, seriously, how do you plan on cleaning the rocks? Spray them with bleach solution one a week or?

Are they going to be loose 2-3" stones? Won't your foot just sink into them down to the pan or are they not intended to be walked on?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Stultus Maximus posted:

Okay, his plan is a hilarious disaster in progress but do you regularly sink in gravel and sand or something?

Uh, yeah? A few inches or so.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You're moving the goalposts. Nobody was talking about sterility until you. Stainless is hard to keep visually clean. Stainless in commercial kitchens and hospitals looks clean because they need it to be sterile. And you're being a smug rear end in a top hat so no, I will not help you google things. Enjoy living in Fort Fingerprints.

nice meltdown

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I see you're new to the D&D title scene.

Killer catchphrase, goonsir. Does microwave's mom climb the stairs in your house to serve you a glass of mangosteen while you sit at your ppppowerbook?

You realize you guys are circling the wagons to defend this guy's right to spend every waking moment wiping water spots off his kitchen walls, right?

nice meltdown

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
"If a woman sees a nice looking bathtub, she's gonna swoon. "

jesus loving christ

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pr0zac posted:

Whats the other?

notable "building" threads
* Groverhaus
* The dude who bought some land in Hawaii and convinced some dumbasses to come out and build goontopia for him (for free, of course)
* The goons who bought land smack in the middle of the Texas desert and were going to live off the grid (I think this was a goon project)

naturally, all three were hilarious failures

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 3, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

value-brand cereal posted:

What this the one who wanted to build an under ground rape dunge-I mean, computer server/storage room in the rock hard Texan ground? And he was digging it by hand until he could rent a digger? Or an entirely different dude?

No, I'm not familiar with that one.

This was a group of 5 or so goons who quit their jobs, sold everything they had, and drove out to this plot of land in the Texas desert they bought for four cents or something. It was miles and miles away from everything.

They had no concept of zoning laws, rights-of-way, building codes, or what a hellscape the desert can be (they moved there in the early spring), but they were going to live off the grid and survive...somehow?

By the end of the failed experiment, they were tired of being mocked by SA so they provided updates on another site (which was discovered, naturally) and they were begging for money and donations of food. Everyone drove back to their parents' homes after a few months and one poorly built shack to show for their efforts.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

everdave posted:

Can anyone link to the Hawaii or Texas threads? I've never seen those. I have archives.

Texarrakis: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286091

Jonestown Hawaii: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
If only "women [didn't] play an unfair role in the home-buying process" all of this could have been avoided. All of it. Ugh, I'm so sick of women and their unfair roles!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

I've heard about this one, but missed it for some reason. Reading now.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 4, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

dis astranagant posted:

Deleting your stupid posts when you realize you've done something horribly wrong should be bannable. Rip that thread.

I just finished reading and yeah, it's entertaining, but the OP deleted all his posts, so most of the delusional hilarity is missing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

FoldableHuman posted:

I asked Uncle Google about it and there's some off-site archives/reconstructions so you can at least get a sense of the scale

omg

everyone involved in that project should have been forced to ride that snake

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Shadownerd posted:

Also I can't believe no one has mentioned the basement death pool that I'm pretty sure was also in DIY.

another classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Facebook Aunt posted:

What? When someone is using the tub/shower nobody else gets to use the room, shower curtain or not. I'm not going to be soaking in the tub while a family member is making GBS threads 2 feet away, even if the shower curtain is closed so we don't actually see each other.

What you do in a single bathroom home is if you are planning to do anything that will take more than 15 minutes is holler out "I'm gonna take a bath, anyone need to use the bathroom first?" If nobody needs to go, it's assumed you have the room for up to an hour.

I live in a 3 bed/1 bath cracker box. A thousand times this. We've kinda/sorta worked out an informal morning schedule. It really sucks.

EDIT: also, we're going to be completely redoing the bathroom because the dumb-rear end-DIYers that owned the house before us massively hosed up re-tiling the shower and water has been leaking behind the wall for a few years now. We found out when the corner of the floor started getting "soft." Among the millions of little things they hosed up on, they also bridged a three inch gap in the drainpipe of the bathroom sink with duct tape. I loving loathe dumb-rear end-DIYers.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2017

• Locked thread