Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kid sinister posted:

Have you learned your lesson and will ask next time before you do anything that could possibly affect the structural capacity of your house?

You know, you're lucky you posted that picture and got called out on it. Otherwise, the tub and whoever was in it may have ended up in the room underneath after a few uses.

Somebody post the Cleveland gag from Family Guy.

I was thinking more like the bathtub falling through the floor in Breaking Bad, because there will probably be blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Please stop doxxing him or he won't come back

For real do not take this away from me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

So my theory that Craiglist people are notoriously flaky and don't want to be bothered is true. Even licensed contractors who just don't want any new work. Why post ads if you're not going to take any work?

Anyway, I changed up my approach and did some contractor digging elsewhere and now have six appointments lined up in the next two weeks.

Yeah that's their attempt of blowing you off politely.

I had to get some roof tiles repaired, and 1/3rds of the roof places that I called didn't return the call, and another third gave a wildly high estimate of what it would cost.
Those guys would rather move their crews to do a whole roof replacement, and if they've got a few of those lined up my little job wasn't worth their time.

Similarly, the contractors you talk to may not want to take your floor issue on either due to small size of it and risk of rework if they've got someone paying them $20k to do a whole kitchen.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

I am learning so much from this thread! Most importantly, I have learned that if I ever own a home I should not touch a drat thing re: remodeling unless I talk to at least one coworker (most of my coworkers are architects/engineers).

The other thing I learned in remodeling/home repair adventures is that "code" isn't a pinnacle of perfect workmanship or overkill, it's the bare minimum for safety and function.

The other thing I've learned is that for many jobs the difference between a well-read amateur and a competent professional isn't always that the professional is going to get better final results, it's usually that they're going to do it a lot faster and probably with fewer screwups along the way (usually means wasted materials.)
I got pretty good at tiling after doing 800 sq ft of it in my house, but a professional would have done it in like 2 or 3 days with a crew of 4 dudes rather than me doing it by myself on weekends/evenings over the course of a few months. The first parts of it were slow and required a lot of re-work, but by the end I was flying through it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looks very suspiciously like a slingshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zC7Zsrf6E

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

TTerrible posted:

That seems weird and arbitrary. What saving measure?

Water, probably.

FogHelmut posted:

I learned that this bathroom also needs a

I just learned that a "gift closet" is a thing. I thought it was a joke, like where your parents used to hide your Christmas presents. Turns out I was pretty much exactly right, you just hoard stuff in there that you find cheap to give to people later.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Snak posted:

The mental image of being in a kitchen, and looking up at the ceiling and seeing some guy's bare rear end against the bottom a glass tub is pretty epic.

Turkey in the oven, pressed ham on the ceiling

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I want to use this as an example to anyone who wants to remodel stuff in their house.

This guy tore out $10k of perfectly good bathroom (perfectly good except tile counters ewwww), and is spending $23k to customize/redo the bathroom the way he wants it.
Let's just set aside the fact that he did $5k worth of damage to the floor (lol), and say that in a best case scenario, this was going to cost $18k to do.

Is this worth $18k to the owner? Yeah, that's why he's spending the money. Is it going to be worth $18k to the next buyer? Almost certainly not, because they could always spend the $18k themselves and get something similar, but customized in the way they want it. But let's pretend that it is.

The current owner needs the next buyer to value this at the remodel price plus the value of the original bathroom. If the buyer values it at $18k, the owner has spent $18k to add $8k of value to the next buyer.

The moral of the story is that "it's adding value to the house!" is based on pretty questionable math. Things that help your return:
1. The thing you are replacing/remodeling is in poor condition or is so undesirable that it is close to worthless. The green shag carpet in your guest bathroom is worth zero to every buyer, and the warped and faded laminate flooring is worth near zero to everyone.
2. You're competently doing it yourself, and thus not paying "retail". You're not paying cash for someone else's time, you're paying yourself.

In the end, you should make your remodeling decisions based on whether that's what you want in the house you live in. Don't try to justify it saying that you're adding value for the next buyer, because you're probably not adding as much as you think you are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mine cart bath tub seems like a perfect fit for the Americana country rustic trend right now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

"I'm okay with filth and disease as long as it's not visible on my appliances."

:goonsay:

Oh wow, didn't realize that water spots were actually filth and disease

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

One man on the internet spends $20k to destroy his bathroom and expose that mold is a myth

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

I guess I should also note that the design has changed a bit from the original; The red wall is going away. But yes, it will be somewhat dark. But that will be offset a bit by a lot of lighting.

FYI the kind of things one would see in a trendy nightclub or hotel are not the same things that people want in the house they live in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

Since no woman is going to use this bathroom, why not include a urinal?

It's what the bidet will get mistaken for anyway

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I live In an ex-council house built in the 1950s you can buy if you like, it is a superb example of builder grade architecture. Pebble dashed exterior, stunning period Metal door frames, beautifully artexed walls, a coal 'ouse expertly converted into a pantry and a garden thoughtfully conscruted out of hardcore and rubble. The latter feature is an amazing opportunity for the metal detector enthusiast or beginner archaeologist - last week somone found a wheelbarrow left over from the original construction of their home while digging a grave for their cat! What will you find?

Someone's going to find a cat skeleton while digging to look for their wheelbarrow :barf:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

I did the needful.

Way off, Caption Bot. If it were an old stove, a woman might have actually used it at one point in it's life.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Baking soda is a legit amazing way to clean things. I use it all the time on pots that have brown stains in the bottom. Just apply baking soda liberally to a damp surface, and it doesn't take a lot of scrubbing for that stuff to lift right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

smh if you're not using Dr. Bronner's for everything.

A feast for the senses, with the timecube rants on the label to read and the minty fresh smell

• Locked thread