Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

The "vanity" in "vanity outlets" doesn't mean "just there for looks"

The real ones need to be GFCI too.

There's a single GFCI up the line that protects the rest. I have the same setup in my bathroom in my house built in the same area around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bar88537 posted:

I don't know why this is a problem, can you explain what the problem is with this?

You can use an old toothbrush to spread peanut butter. Doesn't mean you should.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Those first two points sound like commercial rather than residential requirements. You might want to call your city and ask them. I know in California you can't sell a light without an LED bulb in it (this is why you can't order lamps off target.com for example.) You said you're in LA, do mean city proper or county? Also will you sell tickets to go lay in repose precariously across the cut beams?

Im in Riverside county like BeatmasterJ and any outdoor lighting must have a motion sensor, must be dusk-to-dawn and also must have LED lights. Even if they're on a switch. We went through 3 different fixtures before they approved our patio cover, our neighbors just went through the same issue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Outdoor surprises me less. Indoor motion sensors on bathroom lights would drive me mad unless the off-delay is super high and they didn't turn on until you flipped the switch again.

Bathroom\Laundry\Garages must have vacancy sensors now as of this year in CA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's occupancy sensors and vacancy sensors. Occupancy sensors are also referred to as motion sensors. They will turn the light on when you enter a room and turn it off when no motion is detected in X minutes.

Vacancy sensors do not turn on the lights automatically. There is still a physical button to turn the lights on, but they will automatically shut off if there is no movement detected for X minutes. They're also more energy efficient because they don't draw any power looking for motion. They are turned off until you flip the switch, then they only detect motion until they shut themselves off.

Vacancy sensors are the ones now required in building codes in CA.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 12, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Stop stealing and wasting water, desert dweller.

NorCal user spotted

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Droughts over guys, no need to bitch about water.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

What?

Apparently, that's what realtors called non-bedroom, upstairs rooms in a house in the Midwest in the late 90's.

My house is 4220 sq. ft. and I have a Bonus Room, Family Room, Living Room, and Formal Dining Room along with the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Blacula posted:

No Rumpus Room? 6/10

No basements, so no. The bonus room is where Rocket League is so it's the same thing really.

FogHelmut posted:

How does a Bonus Room compare to a Great Room? Not as good?

A great room is usually just a giant downstairs area that is connected to the kitchen, living room and dining room.

A bonus room is basically a bedroom missing a wall. When the builders draw up the plans, you can usually have a house with a 3 or 4 bedroom configuration, for example. If you want a 4th bedroom, they put a wall across the bonus room, install a door and closet and now it's the 4th bedroom. If you stick with 3, then it's just a sort of big open area for whatever.

I bought a McMansion built in 2005 in the Inland Empire, ask me anything about goofy suburban living!

• Locked thread