Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

YggiDee posted:

She stopped once to pull out a flute and play along with the soundtrack, which is about the most Undertale thing I can think of.

That's adorable. I should check out her Undertale stuff, Dark Souls is okay but she literally inches towards progress which gets a bit exhausting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
For anyone questioning DSP's relationship, you should watch Shameless.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jamesman posted:

Phil's biggest problem is that he was ahead of his time, and it was much too early to out yourself as a racist piece of poo poo. If he just rebranded him as an Alt-Right LPer, he'd probably have a huge audience. Maybe even partner up with JonTron and become the new GameGrumps.

Hey I'm Grump!

I'm Nazi Grump!

We're the Alt GameGrumps!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GuavaMoment posted:

slowbeef, where is "get a real or part-time job" in this list of helpful tips? Like the one you have? Like the one we're all telling DSP in this very thread to find? Your article here is really good, but isn't it a bit irresponsible NOT to tell this target audience about the need for an actual job? The article needs just one line saying "Consider getting a stable part-time job", that's it. It's easy to imagine someone doing all the things you tell them to do in the article and still not make anything close to a profit. And then it's going to be that much harder for them to get a job and get a working income. I'm thinking about people like LABeast who had to move back home with his parents because youtube wasn't cutting it anymore. He has(had?) almost 2 million subscribers. If he can't make it work, what chance does JohnnySephiroth69 on twitch have?

I think "get another job" isn't exactly valid when discussing "how to make money out of the job I have", no matter if you think it's all stupid and no one should get paid to play videogames in front of a camera.

edit: to clarify, I don't disagree that in most cases streaming and YT ad revenue should just be complimentary to your job's paychecks, and that most people shouldn't try and force a career exclusively out of it if they need to get paid NOW. It just doesn't quite fit the theme and tone of the article.

Dias fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 13, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

Please do not encourage children (because it IS children, either physically or mentally) to try to make a living off of youtube because it will create a generation of even bigger emotionally and economically stunted people

God, I don't think even people that actually MAKE a living out of YT/Twitch would encourage random people to do the same, it's like having a band or being an actor - pretty cool if it works out, but chances are you're gonna be hosed if you don't have a safety net. However, if it does work out, you might as well take it seriously and not get too comfortable. I guess that's just good advice in general.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I had a panic attack once completely out of nowhere and I was sure I was gonna die if I "waited it out". It's not that DSP is wrong on a medical sense though, it's just that he's an rear end in a top hat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
After a certain popularity threshold, you're gonna have people come around just to hurl abuse at you, especially if you don't fit the mold for a streamer (white, male, Standard American accent, undisclosed/"truth is in the middle" political opinions). However, I do believe you reap what you sow when nurturing a community. If you incentivize people to do all the toxic Twitch chat things, be it because you think it's funny or because that gets you money, you're gonna end up with an audience that acts like jerks. After you established that's the norm, you're gonna have a hard time changing how they behave. I've been in great 4, 5k people chatrooms and terrible 500 ones, and a lot of it had to do with how hard the streamer leaned on donation gimmicks or how much they rewarded memekid behavior.

I think DSP is a bit of an exception because HE's the toxic one. He hates his audience. I still don't understand HOW he got popular - I'll assume being at the right place at the right time had a lot to do with it - and most of the positive interaction is initiated by his fanbase and immediately shut down by Phil. Dude has an ego the size of Jupiter and sees anything that's not unreserved praise as "hatred", which in turn just leads to more people trying to rile him up. Hell, the only reason his channel is still alive is the TIHYDP compilations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm pretty sure DSP is just George Costanza from the LPverse. I'm just surprised Leanna didn't die from licking too many Switch cartridges for his channel.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It was an incredibly spiteful but at the same time self-destructive act coming from someone in a fragile position that probably will never quite recover from the backlash. I agree, you can be sympathetic while still considering her to be completely in the wrong and legally liable. Just one of those situations where you hope the guilty party can get their poo poo together and minimize the damage to both sides, and that a witch hunt doesn't get started (and we're poo poo out of luck there already).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is why you read posts before posting.

Also yeah, DMCA takedowns are shiity and cost people money, time and effort, but it's not like she stabbed someone over this poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Inadequately posted:

The thing that always gets me about incidents like this is that the response is never 'ugh, this guy is a creep', it's almost always a variation of 'haha, gently caress Polygon'. I liked some of their work, I didn't like others, but what they wrote has absolutely nothing to do with the failings of this one particular guy. Certainly, the culture and policies there may or may not have allowed him to get away with it for longer than he might have, but any legitimate criticism along those grounds is drowned out in the tide of 'every last one of these guys is a terrible person at heart, now let's continue supporting openly terrible people because they're at least honest about it'. Apparently the only sin worth mentioning is hypocrisy.

A lot of nerds have a weird vendetta against games journalism that got multiplied tenfold when the editorial line for a lot of publications became more progressive. A case like this is their chance to go "HAH YOU WERE ALWAYS BAD JUST LIKE US", and it's not like they give a gently caress about the harassment, it's just a gotcha moment for them. Polygon has had some BAAAD content, but it also had pretty well-written and well-researched articles, like many other publications. They did a massive series of articles on Cuba's gaming culture and a pretty good one on Street Fighter 2's development cycle and history.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://kotaku.com/pewdiepie-says-hes-going-to-stop-making-nazi-jokes-afte-1797904266

PDP: "Oh. Oooooh. Nazis are real and bad! Now I get it!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Just droppin in to say a hearty gently caress JonTron. gently caress him right in his spherical Nazi face.

Bye.

Jontron was the bird in the end, Dunkey was always right.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it makes everything blend together since it pretty much gives everything that's not a thumbnail the same visual weight. Kinda sucks if you follow a handful of channels like I do but don't watch every video every day. They also got rid of the blatant visual sign for YOU WATCHED THIS ALREADY.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually went searching for the original footage to make sure it wasn't slowbeef pulling a fast one on me. It's not. It's real, it's powerful and it's my friend giving me a headache.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, you don't need to be good at videogames to be a games journalist, but you should understand the basic language of the media you're trying to critique, and "jump from a high place to a higher place" is platformer 101. At the end of the day dude might've been distracted, or hungover, or stressed out, his mind blanked out, poo poo happens, so it's not this CRIME against the medium of videogames...but it's still hilarious and kinda baffling.

I don't mind if you suck in an LP as long as you're personable because it's been years since LPs became more about being entertaining than being able to show the game played on a high skill level. As long as you're not pulling a DSP and you're able to progress/engage the thing you're LPing, it's fine.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 6, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Like, I find it hard to believe that someone as big as PDP just lets a "friend of the family" slip, especially as a targeted insult.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The discussion here is if it's ethical to take away that right from ONE specific streamer/channel. I mean, it is their IP and their content, so if they wanted it off the air it would be their prerrogative, but taking it down from a specific channel is a bit...spicier.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think it's pretty daft that THIS is the point at which people start acting against Pewdiepie again. Apparently one racial slur is worse than literally all of his content especially post-Amnesia. Is it just the offensive nature on its own or is it due to the size of his platform plus the number of kids who watch his stuff?

I kinda get the issue of when he paid those guys to put up that kill the Jews sign or whatever, since that actually blew back on the guys that took the money and did it as well, but he just said a word this time. It's no worse than most of the nonsense that comes out of his mouth. I'm not defending him, that clown's low effort trash content needs to be knocked down a few pegs, but why now?

Oh, people gave him a lot of poo poo for all that stuff. It's just that this one is literally the dude calling someone a friend of the family as a random insult, so he can't hide behind "comedy". Well, I guess some subforums might disagree, but that's the idea anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I would just ask them to be demonetized. That would be fair, right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Golden Goat posted:

Surprisingly no he's still bad at them.

I'll give him ONE thing, this time it seems like he didn't try to rationalize anything and instead just went "yeah, I said something horrible because I wanted to offend someone and that was the worst thing I could think of". However PDP seems to go thru this loop at least twice a year, so I don't feel inclined to believe he's gonna change. He's the same guy that got in contact with Slowbeef to say Adults React to PDP made him rethink the poo poo he said, then a bit later pulled the Fiverr poo poo and played the victim. He's either very dense, talking out of his rear end or a combination of both.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
People get very upset at 1s long clips played at -3db, huh.

I don't remember what Slowbeef uses for his streams, I get the feeling it isn't THAT obtrusive because of that. I watch Pat from SBFP relatively often and his is just a chime with a message on the overlay of the stream. Maximillian Dood has some ACTUALLY obnoxious ones and I got to experience that on my search for decent DBFZ streams. Dude was getting bombed by donations and subs too so it was worse, but at least he turned sounds off for a while when it started becoming a real problem. Usually it's just a quick chime/voice clip and the streamer goes "thanks for the donation" and moves on, sometimes they have messages attached and I think it makes for good stream interaction, which is why I actually HATE speech-to-text, because it just incentivizes copypasta and noise spam.

Gandor posted:

Some of these people do stream as their primary and often only income, so in those cases I don't mind them doing what they need to do in order to keep a roof over their head. Is it annoying and obtrusive? Absolutely! But I am willing to accept that this is how it is and even join in and subscribe because I don't enjoy spending my days being a negative clancy anymore.

Streaming is just busking for the Internet age. You do your thing, you try to engage people and hope they throw some dollars your way. Sometimes you hit it big and become a legit performer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

notifications are nowhere near as bad as facecams, gently caress facecams forever

Man, I'm here in 2017 and I have some BAD news to tell you, time-traveller from 2007.

Mega64 posted:

Some of the Patreon-funded channels I follow wait until the end of the video to acknowledge and thank their Patrons. End of a stream may not always work, but at least thanking new subscribers from the last stream at the start of the current stream would include that sense of involvement without distracting during the stream.

It depends a lot on the game, on your type of stream and all that noise. If you're stopping every five seconds to acknowledge notifications, that fuckin' sucks, but if you're playing a slower game you can take a minute off to catch up on donations every now and then.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's bad GBS bait.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TieTuesday has a notification that plays for about 30 seconds, is basically a series of quacks that changes pitch every so often, and is played regularly enough that I either mute the stream, take off my headphones, or leave the stream.

I mean, okay, yeah, that's kind of insufferable. If it's a holy poo poo $100 alert it's better but sheesh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm kinda ok with giving streamers money (I use judge's affiliate link when I buy poo poo from amazon when I remember), the thing that weird me out is the guys who donate like several hundred bucks once a week and get special shoutouts, like they're trying to buy the streamer's friendship.

a lot of people itt are weirdly defensive whenever somebody has issues with this whole ecosystem though

Eh, which people? It's usually someone jumping in with "lol gently caress streamers why don't they get a real job :smug:" with a couple of idiots actually thinking they're trying to start a legit discussion and the rest of the thread rolling their eyes because this has happened before and will happen again, much like PDP saying the n-word. Does my post qualify as weirdly defensive now, I don't even know, it's just a dumb argument no one should engage IMO. I mean, it's a weird culture, but it's not like people getting paid to be entertainers is this brand-new concept. Motherfuckers have been throwing cash on popular musicians and artists as patrons or just fans trying to hang out with the "cool guys" since forever, and there's always someone that gets a bit too fixated. Entertainment is dumb and most of it has always been low-brow bullshit anyway.

I'm too broke to throw money at streamers and I don't think I'd do more than like $3 to a handful of people if I wasn't. I did sign up for Amazon Prime and threw some free subs around. As I said, I see it like busking for the Internet age, and if I've enjoyed what they're doing, they've earned some cash as far as I'm concerned. It shouldn't be a career path, but if you can make it work, good for you!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestonJew posted:

That's true, I guess you calling putty's posts bad GBS bait left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand it's a different culture and all but it doesn't mean I have to like it when a streamer builds a community where the pecking order is decided by whoever gives the most money

It's basically all he ever posts here (maybe he's an excellent and hilarious poster anywhere else), if it's not bad bait I'unno what is. It's definitely not worth my time and I think it's not worth anyone else's, hence the warning. Plus I'm not saying you should LIKE that, especially because I don't like it either. Streamers that only engage with the people that donate loads of cash to them and do special stuff are kinda skeevy (although if it makes them money, I can't blame them for doing that). I try to follow people that'll engage the chat normally and that don't do loads of gimmicky crap to get donations. Text-to-voice sucks, weird "please applaud this man that donated $500" cult BS is garbage, begging for donations and complaining when you're not getting any is terrible. I don't think most people here defend that either or follow people that do that kind of stuff, they just kinda accept it exists and it's their hustle because there's always a sucker.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Most streamers I watch "regularly" (which is whenever I don't have anything else to do and I see they're streaming) are pretty good at engaging chat normally and answering questions regardless of them being subs/having donated. It's more a tip jar with a message attached than anything else, which I think it's fine, although I can see people throwing money at streamers just to make sure they're "heard". You can't really help it though, unless you decide you're not gonna read any messages that come with your donations, or not take donations at all. A lot of times streamers start these things because people said they wanna throw a couple of bucks their way instead of it being their idea, and I mean, even if I'm not trying to live off streaming I'll take beer money if you're offering.

And yeah, I see it as busking, so it definitely shouldn't be a "career path", it's something you do for fun and you've realized some people enjoy it and wouldn't mind giving you a dollar because they appreciate it. I've never seen anyone that lives off LPing or streaming sayin' "yeah, it's totally a viable money-making endeavour", it's always "do it for fun, if you build up an audience maybe you can make a living out of it but don't count on it". Unless you mean you shouldn't incentivize successful people to keep at it because it's a bubble, but most people that hit it big 5 years ago and didn't implode are still doing OK. That's a more stable gig than working in my field in my country, honestly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can get the Atlus argument for P5, but no one plays Nintendo games for the story, and considering how limited their game lineup has been, no one is gonna not buy the new Zelda because they saw a LP. gently caress, I've put a Switch on my "buy if money is plentiful one day" list because of BOTW videos, otherwise I'd gladly ignore yet another fuckin 3D Zelda with a tired open world thing attached to it. The "it's almost piracy" thing doesn't ring true at all. Now, trying to protect your content from...unsavory people, sure, whatever. I think it's a dumb pursuit in the age of streaming and hurts your brand more than it helps, but sure, do your thing, old Japanese lawyers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As a law expert in all kinds of the law, I just wanna say the copyright law works the following way: do you have cash? You win.

edit: i just saw i can't type good

Dias fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 4, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
hey, it's the trimestral That Guy with the polemic and strong take of "people shouldn't make moneys on a 'fake job'"

people really do become their parents

Honestly though, you're saying something that a LOT of the content creators have already realized. It's why people have flocked to Patreon, Twitch, why they're selling merch and doing cons, all that stuff. I'unno how many big-name content creators are making most of their money through ad-revenue alone. I think the complaining nowadays is more about how INCONSISTENT that system is, since these changes usually are knee-jerk reactions to something ELSE being exploited in the system.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

judge reinhold posted:

Well, some time ago an indie dev pointed out that PewDiePie played one of his games and Pewds got more from the ad revenue on that video than the dev did in sales for the game with the dev getting no piece of that ad revenue. Sure, it probably netted him a spike in sales, but is that really a fair exchange? This was before the "adpocalypse" but I think it illustrates Suspicious Dish's point a bit better on where this kind of setup is unfair to where the dev is the little guy in the situation.

I mean, this is also probably a borderline case and these are DEFINITELY not the kind of developers YT/Google are concerned about. I mean, for that to happen it would probably be an indie game selling 1000 copies at $5 against a video from THE BIGGEST NAME ON YOUTUBE. It feels like a weird false equivalency that doesn't really have much to add to the debate and just kinda deflects poo poo towards content creators, sorry to be rude, but it really does.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I can't really hold much of a grudge against professional let's players if people actually pay money for it in a world where you can legally obtain almost anything professionally made in the last twenty years pretty affordably.

Billion dollar focus tested movies and TV shows aren't enough and people actually want to watch someone play a video game instead enough to pay for it - a lot of the time without the player actually having any admirable game skills or insight, just randomly bullshitting and yelling and getting interrupted by loud donation announcements.

That says something. Not sure what.

It's either a display of great skill at something and a chance at seeing a big achievement in competition (for esports and speedrunning) or a videogame-themed improv set with public interaction. For as weird as the concept of "watching videogames for fun" is, what it actually is isn't that outlandish. Plus it's not like quality ever dictated what we watch above all else, most people just gravitate towards easy stuff most of the time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I feel like most of the popular lpers are neither good at improv or gaming but I'm not super familiar with them.

I mean, being good at it doesn't matter, plenty of very popular comedians are what I'd call bad at comedy. They're still pretty much just doing off-the-cuff jokes based on the videogame and people watch because they think they're funny or interesting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you think the discussion is about thinking videogame companies shouldn't have any say on their content being LPed, I guess I wish I was back in 2014 too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BMS posted:

Weird and stupid, and them wanting whatever amount being not fine, but still also their prerogative.

As for anything they are doing that is illegal, then one class action lawsuit later and.......

oh wait,

that hasn't happened with success.

So what point are you trying to make here? That streaming is not A Real Job so when the system screws you over for no reason other than it being a mess you go get A Real Job like...I'unno, considering most of SA, playing with computers? Because most of the complaints aren't about not understanding basic copyright laws, they haven't been that for eons now. Streamers just kinda bowed their heads when Atlus restricted P5 footage because they know it's their prerrogative. On the other hand, a lot of their ad revenue issues have to do with a deeply flawed system that should be criticized because GOOGLE is making mad money off of it while a lot of content creators are stuck trying to understand arbitrary algorithm changes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BMS posted:

The point and the argument is that John Doe LPer is getting mad because "X Company" decided to legally take a bite out of what they were making. Not arguing that it's legal. Arguing that the people that didn't see it coming that these companies would start attempt to collect on this and then crying wolf SHOULD'VE seen it coming. Whether it's right or wrong is another issue entirely.

But that hasn't been the discussion for ages now!!! The complaints about the adpocalyse and poo poo are all based on Google's decisions.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

KirbyKhan posted:

A buddy of mine is heavy deep into the crafts and home project corner of YouTube. Introduced her to Patron and now she's getting lunch drunk in a Discord livestreaming to soccer moms who pay 10bux a month to her skateboard inspired centerpieces and dog furniture.

The lessons we learn in video games can be translated to other incredibly niche content creation processes. It is all dumb and fabulous.

The long tail is a beautiful thing. It gave us LPs and probably a ton of weird fetish porn sites.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Most of these YT dudes don't really learn from their mistakes disgusting videos that backfire on them, they just double down because a good chunk of their audience wants that poo poo and usually Youtube does nothing anyway.

YT did something this time.

Also that dude has probably flayed one or two dead animals before in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ilmucche posted:

Do chipcheezum and ironicus not post here anymore? I enjoyed a few of their lps.

I think they left during the Great Bitchfit during the whole Shmorky fiasco.