Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thats because Erika was was stated to be able to tell if corpses were dead or not due how good she was if she examined them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

Something I've been wondering - why were they all so quick to assume Battler (and probably also Eva, Kyrie, and Natsuhi) were dead given the seeming lack of any easy-to-see cause of death? They see Battler and immediately think he's dead, but the profiles note that cause of death could not be determined.

And that Erika did not do a detailed examination.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Erika has always been utterly horrible. Let us not forget her break up with boyfriend cause she would rather be right and smug it up then have a relationship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BurningStone posted:

Now I'm wondering if Jessica is supposed to be a natural blonde. My ignorance of genetics is vast but it shouldn't be possible, right?

The only novelty in the update was the reason for Shannon creating Beatrice: to appeal to Battler. 12 year old Battler, too. That... can't be healthy.

Her dad is blonde.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do like that the conversations with Featherine in the story were actually part of the book Ange was reading.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I did enjoy Erika being a horrid rear end in a top hat however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love Rebirth. It's pretty much perfect for Will.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lotus circle posted:

I mean yeah, honestly, Ushiromiyas are basically Lannisters.
-The women are far more competent than the men, but the men are the ones in charge because patriarchy.

Now this is bullshit. Cercei is super incompetent. The rest of them are far more competent then her.

With the Ushiromiyas it's Eva and Kyrie are for sure more competent then the men.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

Reminder that Eva is 8 years old right now, Krauss 11. Kinzo: always a poo poo.

Rudolf may have been born recently as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

Doubtful, considering Kinzo enlisted in 1943 (that's 20 years after the great Kanto earthquake) and spent the whole time on an island hoping to die. My money is on Rudolf being conceived when Kinzo came home shortly after the surrender in September 45. He was probably thinking about Beatrice the whole time.

Well he could have been born after Kinzo left and have been conceived just before. I recall it being stated that Rosa was the only one born after the war.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was clearly Yammato that instigated this with a dud grenade.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's implied Kinzo was actually a better family man after he met Beatrice. Before her death set him on the road to madness and he became the terror he was remembered as.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Yeah. It seems clearer now that, once he got the gold, he was just surrounded by yes-men who didn't care what he got away with, as long as they got their piece.

Also when he went full on insane people were utterly terrified of him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Years ago, I was participating in the murder mystery read along thread in TBB (also led by ProfessorProf), and someone linked to Shiny777's LP of Umineko, which ended up stopping right when Rosa admitted she killed Beatrice. A week ago, I wandered into LP and saw this thread and immediately read through the question arc and everything up to now. If you read through the old LP, you can see my naive theories like "each episode will pertain to a different section of the epiphet" and "George and Jessica are Battler's friends and would therefore never be up to anything suspicious." Aww me of five years ago. :allears: So thanks for this thread! :)

It's super funny to me after all this that the most innocent character is probably Gohda. Man just wants to cook.

Battler is pretty innocent too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

resurgam40 posted:

:aaa: :swoon: They ARE non-binary! If Lion is the perfect version of Beatrice (as they are implied to be), then it seems that they genuinely DO NOT CARE about gender, and that is remarkable. That is great because gender doesn't matter, and if I were a praying man, I would pray for the day when everyone realizes that and minds their own Ps and Qs. And if this is true... then does that mean that Battler, holder of all the secrets, knows about Beato's non-binary nature and is 100% OK with it? In a world where too many people still get beaten to death, flung from their homes, or driven to suicide on a daily basis for not conforming to one gender or another, that is huge. That is important, with a capital I, and that alone would justify this story's existence.

So thank you Prof. And thank you, also, for your warning at the top; I knew what was coming, but was able to steel myself appropriately, so thank you for your consideration.

I don't think that is so much the case, as much as irritated that people can't tell at a glance so refuses to answer. Also don't think Battler knows everything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

resurgam40 posted:

Uh huh. uh huh! That all feels really right! It truly does frrl like ambiguity is the point here, and that Lion's refusal to confirm one way or another is their way to rebel against a perception that is both toxic and foolish... and that broke every one of Lion's aunts and uncles, or their children, in some way or another. Maybe that's the thing that truly impresses me.

I don't really agree here. Lion does not appear to care too much about Gender Roles, but he seems to me they do identify as one. But are decently annoyed people can't tell at a glance.

Thats why Lion said "People ask me that and I give the same irritated answer, "which do you think." Bern is just deliberately obscuring how Lion's parents and sister refer to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

Haha the culprit is Yasu. Side note that Yasuda is the last name, so they never would have been mentioned by that name up till now. So Yasuda Yoshiya and Yasuda Sayo are both totally possible as names.

I was thinking Yoshiya may have just been a corruption of Yasuda. As Kanon was very reluctant to give his real name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rodyle posted:

Eva's not a bad mom to George, just strict.

She's a rather less than ideal aunt, admittedly.

She stated to be a tease and joker to her nephews and nieces but like her husband she seemed well liked by them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bman in 2288 posted:

So Shannon left a while ago, and Yasu has been assuming the mantle of Shannon ever since? That... that's depressing, but par for the course at this point.

Oh God, the adults are aware of her shenanigans and let her do as she pleases?!

Shannon was always Yasu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We know she died at some point after Rosa met Beatrice. As Rosa had run into the forest after an argument with her mother.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should note that Rudolf is a genuine criminal. Having been stated to take place in borderline illegal and outright fraudulent schemes. One of which caused his primary issue of needing lots of money for a settlement cause he was sued.

Were as Kruass is just awful at business, and Hideyoshi just did not quite understand how stocks worked at first, and Rosa is in debt due to her ex boyfreinds actions. I feel the least bad for Rudolf's situation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also think it's kind of hard to blame a 12 year old for trying to sound cool then forgetting about it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PetraCore posted:

In Genji's defense he might think that the freedom involved with the money would help Yasu get the resources and help they need to be happy. Where things get hosed up is him agreeing to do some big dramatic apology thing that Yasu isn't going to understand or want.

Kinzo can't apologize to Beatrice because Beatrice is dead. She fell off a cliff and her head was caved in with a sharp rock because she was attempting to flee from her controlling rapist of a father. Kinzo didn't murder Beatrice but he sure as gently caress manslaughtered her in my opinion, like, if someone is running to get away from an attacker and the attacker chases them into traffic, that's manslaughter, right?

Nah Beatrice did not even understand Kinzo was a controling rapist. She was too innocent for that. She just wanted to check out the outside world after Rosa said it could be done.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tired Moritz posted:

Yasu barely acts like she give a poo poo. She's taking this whole "actually the secret heir" really well.

She's more confused then anything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

resurgam40 posted:

What in the hell does Dead Kinzo and his fuckup cohorts expect Yasu to tell Krauss, Eva, Rudolph and Rosa, and their respective wives to make any of that story palatable?

I doubt Rudolph and Rosa would care so long as they were given a cut of the cash. Only Eva and Krauss were really interested in the Headship.

Also I doubt Yasu is hurt by any of this right now, just confused. She does not know of any of bigger details yet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 6, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Robindaybird posted:

Also Greyalien noticed it too: For all of Kinzo's cries for forgiveness, he sure as hell left out the part that Yasu's mother was his daughter that he raped, denying the worst of his sins, and again denying Beatrice II any identity.
He did not elaborate on anything. He likely thought in his madness that everything was already laid bare. Guy was dying and had utterly lost himself to madness in his last years. He was still confusing everything in his madness to the very end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly this probably could have gone fairly well if A: at least one of the cousins were here as well. Or B: If the guns were not lying around.

The Cousins are less greedy and have less bad blood and could likely get some people to calm down. If the guns were not there Natsuhi's death would not happen and they would likely calm down eventually.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aumanor posted:

It's japanese for fragment.

Then just say Fragment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

That grate is too small for a Winchester rifle to fit down if it turns sideways. Much less convoluted to use a tiny fraction of the confirmed 900 tons of explosives.

I will not stand for any callous fiend trying to besmirch the honor of Small Bomb. Small Bomb 'exists'!

e: seriously though, why would you settle for a boring answer like 'a gun with a weight tied to it' when you can have Small Bomb

I thought it was a well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EagerSleeper posted:

There's gotta be some sort of trick to what Bernkastel said. Many times the red truth is used to imply, not actually say. Could this series of events really be what actually happened that day? Just Rudolf and Kyrie killing everyone on the island? Where the heck are Genji and Kumasawa? Where the hell is the Evil George that's been foreshadowed since forever? Either way... Poor Ange. They can never get a break, can they? :smith: To be Ange is to suffer. And to be burger.

At least Infant Queen Bee is a kicking track.

Kumasawa and Genji were in the guest house they were murdered along with Maria.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hideyoshi seems perfectly likable and he and Eva get along really well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

Is that really a good enough reason to possibly get her killed, in his view?

Battler is run by his emotions lets not forget.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PetraCore posted:

For that matter, why is Kinzo even alive in Lion's timeline? Less self-abuse?

I assume it's a pretty simple answer. Because the baby did not fall off a cliff to it's supposed death. Kinzo likely did not lose himself entirely to his madness and grief, so he likely took a bit better care of himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

I'd be quite sure everyone involved includes Shannon/Kanon.

This is pretty easily explained by ether them changing outfits after being questioned. Or one giving an ailbi for the other and Erika not bother to check with the other.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This more or less seems to be a version of events were Kinzo never lost himself to Madness and as a result connected with his family.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

So, let's take a look at this.

We know this still theoretically falls under the whole "pieces can't do things they're incapable of" rule. So we should also assume that this is theoretically possible for Kinzo. I'll accept this as a possibility to move my theory forward.

Next, what Battler wants to convey to Ange. To some degree, I can't help but wonder if this is an inverse of what we normally see nowadays. When someone gets killed in an accident or a gunfight or something these days, what's said about them? "They were a good person, they did XYZ, they didn't deserve this". And that becomes fact in the minds of the public, and pretty much no one remembers their bad parts. Here we have the inverse - everyone only remembers the Ushiromiyas for any rear end in a top hat traits they might have had, and the letter-bottles don't help with that. So my thought's that Battler's trying to remind Ange of their good parts, starting with "even Kinzo wasn't 100% rear end in a top hat 100% of the time".

I assume it's a version of Kinzo that just never lost himself to Madness and as a result connected with his family better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RedMagus posted:

From just reading along, I'm also going to guess that Eva never told Ange the truth to both A) protect her from terrible information about her family, and B) to give her a hard shell to protect her from the world since she would be alone once Eva died. As we all know, the kids were not well adjusted adults, and after surviving the events of the island, I can't imagine how traumatized one would be in their mental processes.

From the side story posted earlier. It seems a good deal of the problem Eva and Ange had came from the fact that Ange rejected Eva. Which overtime combined with Eva's stress and the constant attacks on her led to her rejecting Ange as well. This is further supported by Ange stating that their relationship was not bad early on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also last I check I you can't really call Kinzo an unrepentant coward. Cause he was repentant and he never did anything to be labeled a coward. He was insane and did a horrible thing still. So no harm in hating him.

Also as said by others Sayo/Yasu was never his victim. He had very little interaction with her and when he did find out who she was he spent his last moments apologizing.

Pretty much as Ziegedame said Natsuhi, Nanjo and Genji had a bit more to do with her suffering. Natsuhi for throwing her off a cliff, Nanjo for saving the baby's life, Genji for not know how to raise a child.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

You realize this is a common experience for a lot of trans people, right? And that all too often it doesn't have a happy ending? Do you understand why I think what you just wrote is so supremely hosed up?

No not at all.

Also just going to say it from what I know Sayo heavily identifies as female. Lion is more or less a different person entirely including personality and how they view themself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, fair enough. And Kanon definitely represents more than gender issues. Yasu seems to stuff any emotions that don't fit into the perfect feminine Shannon into him, at least if they can't go to Beatrice instead. And those emotions and reactions are important and necessary. Bitterness, anger, loneliness, isolation, those are all things that Yasu really feels and things that it's important are expressed and acknowledged. And even though Yasu seems to be really hard on Kanon in my opinion, Kanon is also deeply loyal to people he feels have earned that loyalty, he's gentle with Jessica, he's smart. He's actually one of my favorite characters, and I actually like him a lot more as a person than Shannon, because Shannon scares me as a representation of what a woman is supposed to be, a representation of something that I'm never going to fit despite being a cis woman. She's absolutely got good aspects, but there's something stepford wife-y about her, especially when you learn more about Yasu and thus can realize that Shannon is supposed to be the ideal submissive woman.

Bitterness and loyalty and isolation and a deep hidden kindness feel more real to me, even though it's just as much of a mistake to discard Shannon as it is to discard Kanon.

Though sadly for Kanon Yasu seems to favor Shannon as well. As shown by the duel back in episode 6. Yasu mentally does seem to view the alternate selves as ultimately a hindrance. But for the most part is indecisive about it. At least until the end.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 30, 2017

• Locked thread