Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ground floor on this wild ride.

Ya'll ready to accept it''s all witches yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK what makes Lambdadelta's red text more trustworthy in your eyes then Beatrice's.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Krauss embezzled his father's money and threw it away at scams.

Genius he ain't.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Qrr posted:

So if this scene was real and the Ange stuff was real (admittedly some pretty big ifs), then that means the gold must also have been real. Because Eva wasn't living in a gutter somewhere after someone came by to call in Krauss's debts.

Eva probably didn't inherit anything from Krauss. She got her money from the stuff Kinzo owned and Krauss didn't have access to (all the stuff in the hidden mansion) and later from the life insurance payouts from everyone else''s deaths.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Qrr posted:

I think you're underestimating how much debt Krauss is in and what the kind of people he's borrowing from would do to get their payments. Especially after the mansion that he gave them mysteriously burned down.

Eva's friends with Okonogi. I think she has a good handle on those sorts of shady people.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Realizing this is basically Ryuukishi saying good bye to his friend makes it pretty :smith:

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

No-one can mistake Kinzo, but we have no proof that anyone ever saw him either. Right after that it all gets magic weird. It's more parsimonious to just say that scene never happened at all. No-one mistook Kinzo because no-one saw Kinzo in the first place.

All of those who met at the family conference acknowledged the presence of Kinzo!

Kinzo was revived with Beatrice's magic and shown to them all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also when has Battler been helped by accident or luck.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

idonotlikepeas posted:

I was thinking of Ange blasting through a window at the exact right moment to keep him from signing away victory, but actually you could cast that as part of Bernkastel's plan, so I'll withdraw that objection for now

Battler had already figured it out before Ange jumped in though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Most assume Bern was a good guy because of Higurashi.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guys it was obviously explained in Episode 3, Kumasawa is a witch.

Witches aren't human, though they are real, so her presence doesn't increase the number of humans on the island. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think that would be the case. Battler was never aware of the Beatrice thing and has no connection to it as she died before he was born.

Added on the current Beatrice stated last game she did not exist until 6 years ago.

She did not exist for Battler six years ago. For other people, she still could have existed.

Qrr posted:

Hmm. Some of those red texts refer to Beato and some to "this child". I don't think we have any red text to say that those are the same person.

Also, I don't like Battlers logic. Beatrice doesn't care if the epitaph is solved so she doesn't care about the epitaph murders. Sure, she probably doesn't care if the murders follow the epitaph, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care about the murders at all. Also, the epitaph murders happen regardless of if the epitaph is solved - see Eva's ascendance.

1) What purpose would this trick serve? Virgilla's trying to help Battler understand Beatrice so he can fulfill her last request.

2. Beatrice is willing to stop the murders if the Epitaph is solved, yet she gains absolutely nothing from the Epitaph being solved. If the murders mattered to her, why would she let some meaningless condition stop her?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RedMagus posted:

The original name of that one was "Ten Little Indians" which changed due to the negative racial connotations, though I forget if the poem was changed as well. I know Suchet did the Poirot film versions, but is there a good film adaptation of it?

Uh nope, it was originaly "Ten little N***" and even the island was "N*** Island"

Yeah.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

Oh! I thought she was literally a self-insert.

Well she is.

But she's also her own separate character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. This can't last. At some point presumably the game has to remember that Beato's very probably a member of Battler's family, and at the very least has performed/orchestrated the deaths of his relatives multiple times. They can't North Wind and the Sun us twice.

Battler sure wishes Beato was pulling a trick. :smith:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In the original Japanese Dlanor's assistants speak so hilariously over the top polite it becomes convoluted.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My mental arrangement of this episode is off.

I had thought it ended with Battler getting stabbed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

tiistai posted:

That's not much of a blue when "the witch wasn't involved in the murders" is the whole point the human side is trying so hard to prove.

I think Cyouni means whichever human is behind Beatrice.

Which is silly as there's no such person.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Umineko has the best memes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Remember that Battler's Sin isn't said to be the single cause of the tragedy by Beato, just one of them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So this TIP isn't canon.

. ..probably.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

bman in 2288 posted:

Wow. Am I R07?

I don't recognize Auau.

She's another reference to another Higurashi character.

Higurashi Spoilers:
The character being referenced Hanyu, and she is in fact the god "Oyashiro-sama" that everything thinks is the one cursing the people of Hinamizawa. She is however not the one causing the tragic incidents. In most Fragments Rika is the only one who can see or hear her. She's the one responsible for sending Rika back in time each time everything goes horribly in Hinamizawa. She's shown a young girl with horns.

One little phrase she constantly says is "Au Au"...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

thetruegentleman posted:

We've never actually seen Battler die either,

Eva shot him in Episode 3

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

oath2order posted:

I mean, assuming this is the same Amakusa who terrorized 9 year old girls for the Japanese government in 1984 he's got at least 14 years combat experience at this point.

...Higurashi got weird, ok?

Don't forget getting owned by said 9 year olds.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorProf posted:

If anyone's curious about the drop to MWF updates, it's, uh, definitely because of my health problems, and nothing else.

Go to bed Prof.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

How much time could they have spent together? Battler was there for what, 2 or 3 days a year? I can see this being a much bigger deal for her than him if she only ever gets to see outside people once a year, but I'm not surprised Battler's memory of it isn't that strong.

Battler probably saw Shannon more than that since the its likely that Rudolf goes to Rokkenjima at times other than the family conference.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Poltergrift posted:

Were the other cards assigned with reasonable character/arcana associations?

I'd look it up, but spoilers.

Not really no.

The Fool: Rosa
The Magician: Maria and Sakutaro
The High Priestess: Kyrie
The Empress: Natsuhi and Eva
The Emperor: Battler
The Hierophant: Ange
The Lovers: George and Shannon
The Chariot: Mammon, Beelzebub, Asmodeus
Strength: Amakusa
The Hermit: Virgilla
Wheel of Fortune: Lambdadetla and Bernkastel
Justice: Battler
The Hanged Man: Kanon
Death: Eva-Beatrice
Temperance: Shannon
The Devil: Ronove
The Tower: Lucifer, Satan, Leviathan, Belphegor
The Star: Gaap
The Moon: Jessica
The Sun: Maria
Judgement: All four Cheister sisters
The World: Beatrice

It's pretty clear that most of the choices were based off looking cool or a surface level glance at the tarot names.

There's a fanart set that I feel works better but can't link it. Spoilers.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 16, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZiegeDame posted:

e: I went looking through the archive for a CG of sad Beatrice alone in a hallway and, having failed to find it, am starting to wonder if I hallucinated the drat thing.
You're probably thinking of this page of the manga.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cyouni posted:

My current assumption is that this is all basically just fanfiction Battler's being forced to read until he can prove he understands Beatrice. To do that, he has to acknowledge that he forgot his promise of six years ago, and remember and acknowledge who Beatrice is. The thing I can't understand is how the riddle ties into it, given that was the provided condition in the first to fourth games.

Well, Battler supposedly does understand her now, and this game right now is him proving it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chick-Beato isn't a piece so she's willingly jumping into it though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tired Moritz posted:

I still want to believe in the Jessica=Beatrice theory.

Battler saw Jessica and Beatrice in the same room at the end of Episode 1.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cyouni posted:

By that logic, you're forced to admit that Kyrie saw Eva BEATRICE and fought both stake sisters and rabbit soldiers with magic arrows. Or that we can just assume George, Jessica, Shannon, and Kanon are the killers this time around and call it a day. Or that Kanon came back to life and instantly cut both Nanjo and Kumasawa's throats before vanishing into golden butterflies.

Well obviously :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Battler couldn't have said that Kanon's ghost inspired Beatrice to magic him out of there because Kanon wasn't a ghost when the logic error was made. Duh.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I mean.

It's not wrong.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

resurgam40 posted:

Have I said that the soundtrack is shocking good for this episode? Because it is shocking good, this track, and the thing is, soundtrack as a whole hasn't really dipped below "pretty great" ever; I mean, I've played some VNs and generally speaking they all generally have one or two bangers or pieces that fit the theme well, but this soundtrack got hit after hit after hit... I don't suppose it's available anywhere commercially?

Just like to point out that this is the only scene in the story where "Battlefield" plays.

Yeah, this game has music made for single scenes. Its OST is really good.

ZiegeDame posted:

It just occurred to me that because the game has been suspended, Erika can't even open the closet and see who is in there. A closed room that absolutely cannot be solved indeed

Erika can always say "Kanon is in the Closet" in blue.

Well, she could, if we didn't just see him magically vanish from said closet. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Confused Llama posted:

I get that, but then where did Shannon "go"? This is relevant to the argument about how Shannon and Kanon can each hold his or her own master key while each servant holds only one key.

Magic.

It was all magic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZiegeDame posted:

Ange would not be the first teenage girl Amakusa has been hired to kill.

He would also not be the first girl he'd fail to kill and thus get owned by.

(Satoko owns)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, if you treat them as synonymous, there's no problem at all. Can any witches confirm or deny whether they used the same word in both lines in the Japanese? Googling seems like a sure fire way to spoil myself.

It does look like Battler and Beato used different ways of phrasing it in Japanese, but I can't read Japanese. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Did a bit of googling.

What Erika did was say she is "Rokkenjima's 18th Human" basically. She used "人間", the Japanese word for human.

While Battler and Beato said that, well, they used simply "人" which means "Person" and is used when counting people.

So yeah effectively the exact same distinction and meaning is used for the original and the translation.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Welp it's been said in red that servants can't be the culprit.

Guess a witch really did do it!

• Locked thread